Butter in bulk

@"Zoid.2568" said:Where is the merchant that sells it?His name's Evon Gnashblade and he runs a company called "Black Lion Trading Post" B)

Butter drops from a variety of containers that you can loot off of humanoid enemies in low and mid-level zones. It also has a chance to drop from the Box of Cooking Supplies that you get as map bonus reward from level 15-40 maps.

sounds like people haven't been doing their daily 10 min cm story clear. I had well over 1000 to contribute to the tp ;) I'd bet most players have no idea how valuable butter actually is (and has been since the days of dungeon speed clears; especially during Wintersday of old) and have tons stored in their material panes

Our guild has a tradition when doing Caudecus Manor: We don't deposit mats along the way and have a contest for whoever got the most "pocket butter" at the end :) Just for a few seconds of bragging rights, it's a silly little tradition/in-joke.

@Zoid.2568 said:This ingredient is key in many recipes. Why lock it behind farming mobs?It's not locked behind farming mobs but rather encourages you to participate in the trading post. The whole game economy (not just chef crafting) and rewards system lives off of the idea to encourage as many people to participate in resource trading as possible. Butter is only one tiny cog in the large mechanism.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:You have to farm the starter zones for it. I have the best luck with the Svanir's tiny ice bags.

This is a great reason to run both a weekly key toon, and to take your LV 80s and complete the low level maps you haven't yet finished. Both are great for free BL Chest Keys, but also to obtain a lot of low level but valuable crafting mats.

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:I just want to know what the Svanir and the Tamini are doing with all that butter. There MUST be cookies somewhere!

Well butter is made mostly from fat right, and some centaur have been known to...er...consume their victims (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Orshad_Raiders), so it's possible that butter used to be that blue defeated player icon you saw on the mini-map a few minutes earlier.. :scream:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Makes me wonder if it’d be worth stocking up on some butter now before we get cooking 500. I’m getting the feeling that the price may increase with it.

It is probably worthwhile to hang on to those you get if you’d otherwise sell them, but I doubt it would be worthwhile to stock up from the TP as the price of butter is about as high as it’s ever been. Of course it’s possible that it will go higher still with Chef 500...

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Makes me wonder if it’d be worth stocking up on some butter now before we get cooking 500. I’m getting the feeling that the price may increase with it.

In case cooking does go to 500 I'm stocking up on all the ingredients, especially butter, eggs, pepper, onions, garlic. Not farming them per se but not selling them either.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:I just want to know what the Svanir and the Tamini are doing with all that butter. There MUST be cookies somewhere!

Well butter is made mostly from fat right, and some centaur have been known to...er...consume their victims (
), so it's possible that butter used to be that blue defeated player icon you saw on the mini-map a few minutes earlier.. :scream:

Scream, indeed. And real butter, while made from cream which is largely fat, is not made in the same way or from the same stuff as, say, lard. Butter and lard are sometimes used interchangeably in RL recipes, but they're not the same at ALL. Thanks goodness!

@VDAC.2137 said:

It is probably worthwhile to hang on to those you get if you’d otherwise sell them, but I doubt it would be worthwhile to stock up from the TP as the price of butter is about as high as it’s ever been. Of course it’s possible that it will go higher still with Chef 500...

That’s what I’m more worried about as I don’t really want to pay a premium price if I don’t have to. I don’t really sell most of my crafting materials but then I haven’t really been doing anything that drops cooking mats.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

That’s what I’m more worried about as I don’t really want to pay a premium price if I don’t have to. I don’t really sell most of my crafting materials but then I haven’t really been doing anything that drops cooking mats.

Might be worthwhile to do map completion on some lower level maps, taking time to participate in events while there, or even just doing the event dailies, which are frequently on lower level maps, would probably take the least time per day and be the most rewarding. I never do anything that feels like a grind but by doing a variety of things on more maps, I’ve been stocking up on an assortment of mats for future use or sale. :)

Archived