wvw legendary armors

Keviin Snow.5760

@Substance E.4852 said:

@bOTEB.1573 said:

The total mats cost of the full set is 3k gold. 500g a piece for a legendary and you are telling me it is not worth it?

Tell me which 6 pieces of legendary weapons/trinket/backpack will be cheaper and you can make faster?

Yeahhh.. everything else is worth it, just not the legendary armor set xD

Trinkets are trivial to obtain with the LS3 maps. The only reason to ever have a full set of them (assuming that's ever possible) will be for the cosmetics which is also the main reason the weapons cost so much to make.

WvW legendary doesn't even look different. It's just the T3 armor with variable stats in the only game mode where that really matters.

I'm pretty sure the PvE crowd would be up in arms if they got served legendary armor that was just purple text refined envoy armor.

Wrong.

I can play as healing ele/power ele/condi ele/ hybrid (power+condi) ele. All 4 of them require different rotations and playstyle, different gear also. What you are telling me is that my main reason isn't to swap between stats fast to make maximum performance in raids/fractals, etc, between these 4 builds, but my main reason is cosmetic? Trinkets, rings or whatever - if they are legendaries, they can swap their stats. Imagine you carry 4 sets of ascended gear (weapons+armor+trinkets) in your inventory? I don't care about the look of the armor because I use outfits. All I care about is its functionality. Also, when the meta changes and you have to change your gear stats, you will see that the most important legendary functionality isn't cosmetic.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Oogabooga.3812 said:I just thought of a suggestion: why not allow currency conversion? Say, 100 badges of honor for 10 wvw tickets and 100 proofs of heroics for 10 wvw tickets?

Its a good idea but in practice that means people who horde the badges will be able to get it within an hour so it will kinda destroy what legendary means for anet, I dont think they will ever do something like this

@The Hero Warrior Il.7681 said:I understand why they have it time gated but they should make tickets easyer to get when you have reached a ceratain WXP level (like 2000). That way the people who play WvW serious will be able to gain legendary armor without having to wait for ages to get it.

It is easier as you rise in WxP: higher ranks gain more pips.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@The Hero Warrior Il.7681 said:I understand why they have it time gated but they should make tickets easyer to get when you have reached a ceratain WXP level (like 2000). That way the people who play WvW serious will be able to gain legendary armor without having to wait for ages to get it.

It is easier as you rise in WxP: higher ranks gain more pips.

Indeed it does but if you are a high rank in WvW it means you play WvW quite abit aswell and which means the extra pip isen't very useful in the beging because you will get the pips done either way by the end of the week. The problem is still it take 1,5 years to get legendary armor because the extra pips dosent speed up the process of getting the tickets because everyone has the same ticket cap each week.What I want to see is either a system like:Rank 1000-1999 you get 1 ticket in every level boxRank 2000-2999 you get 2 tickets in every level boxand it increase like this all the way up to rank 10 000. I dont belive this would destroy the prestige about Legendary armor and it would create an easyer way to gain it for the dedicated WvW players and it makes you keep playing everyday aswell. They could also go with inscreasing the ticket cap for high leveld players but I dont know how they would implement it.

@Wanze.8410 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:Yea. ANet has a huge kitten for making WvW rewards take absolute ages to acquire due to the ticket cap. It's a design choice I fundamentally disagree with, as its time gating for the purpose of timegating. No other reason for it.

Timegating these huge mat sinks makes sense as it stretches demand for the mats over time. If there were no timegates on legendary armor, we would have seen alot of materials spike in price upon release.

While I see your point, I still disagree with this timegate for WvW legendary armor.

Compare it to PvE legendary armor. Not only does it have its own skins (I love the mistforged triumphant skins, but that leaves WvW with just an ascended skin set, not an ascended and legendary like PvE has), but it takes just 12 weeks of timegating if you work hard at it (killing all raid bosses each week). That's 12 weeks to spread mat demand out over, which is still very reasonable. Now compare that to WvW legendary armor, which doesn't have its own skins (even though it does look amazing, I really do like the skins), but takes 5.5 months to acquire minimum. It takes 2.5 months longer to get the WvW leg armor, with no unique skins, than it does to get PvE leg armor. And this is for no reason other than timegating to timegate.

I have no problem with having some sort of time gate, both to spread out demand over time, and to not cheapen the set. But considering everything the timegate should come down to 12 weeks if you put in the work to get it that fast. This is why I have a problem with it.

As far as I understand it takes almost half the time to get the first full set from raids, than what it takes the next sets.Maybe wvw could have something similar ??Maybe we could get a couple 1-time achievements that reward us with tickets or the gift that costs tickets (1 gift = 3 weeks of tickets) to speed up getting the first set from like 22-23 weeks down to like 13-14 weeks ??I think it would be reasonable because it is only for a single set...

@bOTEB.1573 said:

@bOTEB.1573 said:

The total mats cost of the full set is 3k gold. 500g a piece for a legendary and you are telling me it is not worth it?

Tell me which 6 pieces of legendary weapons/trinket/backpack will be cheaper and you can make faster?

Trinkets are trivial to obtain with the LS3 maps. The only reason to ever have a full set of them (assuming that's ever possible) will be for the cosmetics which is also the main reason the weapons cost so much to make.

WvW legendary doesn't even look different. It's just the T3 armor with variable stats in the only game mode where that really matters.

I'm pretty sure the PvE crowd would be up in arms if they got served legendary armor that was just purple text refined envoy armor.

Wrong.

I can play as healing ele/power ele/condi ele/ hybrid (power+condi) ele. All 4 of them require different rotations and playstyle, different gear also. What you are telling me is that my main reason isn't to swap between stats fast to make maximum performance in raids/fractals, etc, between these 4 builds, but my main reason is cosmetic? Trinkets, rings or whatever - if they are legendaries, they can swap their stats. Imagine you carry 4 sets of ascended gear (weapons+armor+trinkets) in your inventory? I don't care about the look of the armor because I use outfits. All I care about is its functionality. Also, when the meta changes and you have to change your gear stats, you will see that the most important legendary functionality isn't cosmetic.

Stat swapping was literally added as a way to make Legendary weapons stand apart from Ascended. People made loads of them before that was ever a feature. Pretend you can't waste precious seconds swapping between half a dozen builds on one class in the fractal lobby all you want but the main reason people make legendary gear is the prestige fueled by unique and elaborate appearances.

If you can afford legendary armor you can easily afford multiple sets of ascended and the bank/bag space for it all.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@bOTEB.1573 said:

@bOTEB.1573 said:

Wrong.

Stat swapping was literally added as a way to make Legendary weapons stand apart from Ascended. People made loads of them before that was ever a feature. Pretend you can't waste precious seconds swapping between half a dozen builds on one class in the fractal lobby all you want but the main reason people make legendary gear is the prestige fueled by unique and elaborate appearances.

If you can afford legendary armor you can easily afford multiple sets of ascended and the bank/bag space for it all.

Ok, sir. If you don't allow me to choose what I prefer, I have no choice but to listen to your words and take 40+ slots in my inventory just for gear. Also, I am sorry that the main reason for me isn't the appearance but the functionality of the legendary gear. I will try to change my silly abnormal way of thinking and will try not to waste these precious seconds of changing the stats, not just in the fractal lobby, but anywhere. Thanks for opening my eyes, good sir. I think all people agree with you because you have checked and asked all of them what is the main reason they make a legendary armor.

@The Hero Warrior Il.7681 said:

@Oogabooga.3812 said:I just thought of a suggestion: why not allow currency conversion? Say, 100 badges of honor for 10 wvw tickets and 100 proofs of heroics for 10 wvw tickets?

Its a good idea but in practice that means people who horde the badges will be able to get it within an hour so it will kinda destroy what legendary means for anet, I dont think they will ever do something like this

They can also timegate this currency conversion as well, just as they do the HoT currencies.

They want to provide long> @Vova.2640 said:

As far as I understand it takes almost half the time to get the first full set from raids, than what it takes the next sets.Maybe wvw could have something similar ??Maybe we could get a couple 1-time achievements that reward us with tickets or the gift that costs tickets (1 gift = 3 weeks of tickets) to speed up getting the first set from like 22-23 weeks down to like 13-14 weeks ??I think it would be reasonable because it is only for a single set...

That is a fantastic idea.

I don't think that we can only look at the time the armor takes to make. For example, with PVE raids, it will take 12 weeks to get your first set. Then it takes 24 weeks to get the other sets. The second and third sets taking 24 weeks is right in line with the WvW and PVP armor sets. I think the first set taking 12 weeks is due to the personal achievements you have to earn in order to complete the precursor sets. Objectively, let's look at the achievement required to earn the tickets in WvW to buy the set. You are required to rank up. You can do this by being a leader and commanding a zerg and strategizing which seems legendary.

While on the other hand, you can flip camps back and forth until you hit the rank eventually. More often than not I feel it would be a mixture of following a tag, some roaming, and maybe tagging up for a few then going back to following, if you are the average player. I thought the rank requirement was super extreme and impossible to reach at first. I then started working on warbringer. I was rank 44 when I started that process (right when they changed the pip system to award more pips) and am now rank 366. It really doesn't take long to rank up so I wouldn't call that a massive achievement, especially since in the time it takes to earn the tickets I will probably hit the rank I need to make the armor.

I feel like all of the sets taking 22-26 weeks makes total sense for legendary armor with the stat swapping abilities. I feel the skins look great for WvW and PvP as well as PVE raids. I think the shorter time requirement for the first set of pve legendary armor makes sense due to the personal achievements you need to earn. I know some people will tell me that they can just buy boss kills which is a way of trivializing my points. However, let's say that boss kills are selling for 100g (which is a conservative estimation based on varied quotes). People who do not have the personal skill/interest to do the raid content and choose to buy the boss kills would end up paying 15,000 gold (that's almost deserving of its own legendary skin). Even if I am half wrong we are still talking about people spending 7,500 gold which is no small feat even on it's own. And all of this for only the first set.

In conclusion, I feel that reducing the time it takes (for the first set) to make the WvW and PvP legendary armor would take away the majority of what makes the pvp oriented legendary armor difficult to achieve. It is simply just time-gated and can be earned by anyone willing to play the game mode. Let's be honest, there is no personal achievement other than level that needs to be met. This is not conducive of a legendary feat if the current values are cut in half. However, spending 5 months slaughtering your enemies is a feat that you can almost rule out if you don't take the game mode seriously. Now THAT deserves some legendary armor. This is obviously just one guys opinion.

the current wvw armor upgrade to stat change IS NOT a legendary armor. :) legendary armor has a precursor armor which you obtained through achieving two legendary armor collections - similar to legendary weapon that you have to go through collections to receive the precursor before transforming it to legendary with the gifts. The wvw is not legendary armor, it is simply an upgrade of wvw asc armor into changeable stat. I hope in the future, there will be wvw, legendary armor collections to do and new real legendary armor for wvw. Anet cant be lazy right :p

I'm happy for them to leave the requirement as it is. It means it's not reachable for me so i don't have to bother, and can just play wvw for as long or as little as I like.At my current rate of ticket gain I'll have the backpack for Xmas. 2018. Legendary armor around 2020. If only they hadn't brought in a whole new system to acquire it and based it off past wvw currencies- oh but then we might have got it on day one, and then where would the grind be?

I used to play multiple toons in wvw. With every expansion and every update that number has shrunk, Proof of Failure will probably leave me with just two and maybe just one, depending on how stupid they make being able to unlock the new skills.

@OriOri.8724 said:Now compare that to WvW legendary armor, which doesn't have its own skins (even though it does look amazing, I really do like the skins), but takes 5.5 months to acquire minimum. It takes 2.5 months longer to get the WvW leg armor, with no unique skins, than it does to get PvE leg armor. And this is for no reason other than timegating to timegate.

What do you plan to do thats in such a rush? Get to the final boss and win WvW so you've completed the gamemode?

Because I assure you, 2.5 months or 10 years, you aint gonna get there.

@X T D.6458 said:

@Aleksander Suburb.4287 said:I'm more worried about the memories of battle. You need 500 per legendary and you dont get as much as the wvw tickets :(

You can buy them on the trading post.

ArenaNet wanted Memories of Battle to be a way for WvW players to make money. I guess it is by design that you dont get that many so you are forced to buy them and thus drive up the price so players who are not trying to make legendaries can make a few extra gold.

Let's say that the skirmish tickets farm time (which is debatable as it is dependent on the game time played by each of us) is ok. What about the rank requirement for the Mistforged Armor Set? 2000 WvW rank points to buy the last piece? For real? Not only the Armor Set is an exact copy of the "precursor", also comes without the proper series of collections as all other legendaries do, but even the mistforged version who let's pretend it has something extra, needs literally years of playing to acquire.

I really believe this whole 'concept' was designed and implemented in a rush. The legendary set should look legendary, be acquired via the same collection process as all legendaries and also should be attainable in some reasonable amount of time and not be time gated as it is now.

@Dreddo.9865 said:Let's say that the skirmish tickets farm time (which is debatable as it is dependent on the game time played by each of us) is ok. What about the rank requirement for the Mistforged Armor Set? 2000 WvW rank points to buy the last piece? For real? Not only the Armor Set is an exact copy of the "precursor", also comes without the proper series of collections as all other legendaries do, but even the mistforged version who let's pretend it has something extra, needs literally years of playing to acquire.

I really believe this whole 'concept' was designed and implemented in a rush. The legendary set should look legendary, be acquired via the same collection process as all legendaries and also should be attainable in some reasonable amount of time and not be time gated as it is now.

2K rank only takes 'years' if WvW isn't your primary game mode. While farming the tickets, you get the ranks. Boosters et al.

If WvW isn't your primary game mode why get the WvW legendary armor?

Currently play with three people who started two months ago at lower than 100 rank, and are currently at 850. And they have gotten a significant number of tickets.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

2K rank only takes 'years' if WvW isn't your primary game mode. While farming the tickets, you get the ranks. Boosters et al.

Currently play with three people who started two months ago at lower than 100 rank, and are currently at 850. And they have gotten a significant number of tickets.

Just out of curiosity and trying to relate this to my own situation, how many hours a day are they normally in WvW? I run about 2 hrs a day on average in WvW, because other than a little time spent gathering nodes in the guild hall and a little crafting, it's all the time I have available each day. Since the pip system patch dropped, what, 3 months ago?, I've gained around 170 ranks, and that's with using up all the birthday boosters I had left plus the guild booster. My typical play style is to run with a group and I get up to T6 participation within 5-10 minutes easily. So I'm getting roughly 2 ranks per night for my 2 hours of play, sometimes 3 ranks. At that rate, I'll reach rank 2k in about 800 days, well over 2 years. So even for those that mostly play WvW, if they are a typical working stiff with RL commitments outside the game and are limited to 2-3 hours per night, then I can see that it can still take years. Buying boosters to have them up consistently might shorten that time by a third, but that would still be well over a year. You'd have to make WvW a job, not just a primary game mode, at least from what I'm seeing.

@Sylvyn.4750 said:

Just out of curiosity and trying to relate this to my own situation, how many hours a day are they normally in WvW? I run about 2 hrs a day on average in WvW, because other than a little time spent gathering nodes in the guild hall and a little crafting, it's all the time I have available each day. Since the pip system patch dropped, what, 3 months ago?, I've gained around 170 ranks, and that's with using up all the birthday boosters I had left plus the guild booster. My typical play style is to run with a group and I get up to T6 participation within 5-10 minutes easily. So I'm getting roughly 2 ranks per night for my 2 hours of play, sometimes 3 ranks. At that rate, I'll reach rank 2k in about 800 days, well over 2 years. So even for those that mostly play WvW, if they are a typical working stiff with RL commitments outside the game and are limited to 2-3 hours per night, then I can see that it can still take years. Buying boosters to have them up consistently might shorten that time by a third, but that would still be well over a year. You'd have to make WvW a job, not just a primary game mode, at least from what I'm seeing.

It also depends on what you do in WvW. You'll gain many more ranks running with a tag and taking stuff rather than running with a tag who is defending or just fighting. Roaming even less so.

I've played since launch and have 4500 hours or so now and I'd reckon 3500 of them are in WvW and I'm rank 1997 as of today. I mostly did roaming and fought other players without following tag.

Archived