Skyscale a bit too tedious for disabled people

As for the Jorbreakers: I just noticed that I accumulated about 9 of them just by doing my festival dailies. And all of them (not only 3 for the overall daily achievement). They give 100 of Zhaitaffy or some coffers. Coffers can contain Jorbreaker - but you have to be very lucky. (I got 1.) But it is easy to get some Zhaitaffy that way with all the 100x Zhaitaffy rewards.

If you have no interest in the Holographic weapon skins you can get from the coffers you get after completing 5 sets of daily festival achievements ... you can get 5 Jorbreaker (instead of 1 skin).

That said ... the event already is running for some time. I guess this has been noticed already. And probably most people prefer a skin because it is uniquer (at least Wiki does not list another way to obatain it than those reward chests).

I would have had about 19 Jorbreaker now - if I hadn't gotten 2 skins from those chests.

Now I just checked the Wiki and the achievement page ... seems to be a bit of work. But seems more like "work" than being hard. And I guess some of the scavenger hunt/treasure hunt might be fun and people could do it instead of using money - to save gold. (The ones listed that can be skipped by using an item that costs gold for crafting.) Also it seems like a way to make some money with charged crystal when the food is sellable. Deducting the cost of the other needed stuff there should still be a bit profit. (= the price for being able to only produce one account bound charged crystal per day for yourself which is calculated within the price of the crafted end product)

Jumping puzzles always have been a problem for some people - but there should be some helpful mesmers that help with portals.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:I don't think MMORPGs are for you. There are other games that are better suited for shot playing sessions.

You're wrong. (From someone who's chronically ill and often only able to play less than 1 hour at a time).

Those games don't have the social feel that comes with MMOs. The exploration, the freedom.

For many people with severe disabilities, MMOs are a way to escape their 4 walls, which they usually rarely leave and rarely get to meet people.

Well, if the OP is upset by goals in the game that require lots of time investment MMOs (and almost any type of RPG for that matter) arent the game of choice. There are many MP games that are not RPGs. No matter how you slice it there is no solution to the issue the OP has. GW2 is probably the most accessible MMORPG ever for people with limited time to play (for whatever reason).

The OP already agreed that they were being a "bit impatient".And there are plenty of able bodied people who complained about the skyscale being too long, that doesn't mean that they aren't happy with the rest of the game.

So there's no issue. Good.What I meant was that making the game more "accessible" to people with disabilities and having ANet consider disabled people when designing content ain't realistic. The vast majority of their customers aren't disabled.If it matters, I also suffer from a terrible chronic illness that prevents me from taking part in certain activities. I don't expect people to design activities meant for the general population with me in mind.

@PervMonk.4891 said:how easy do you want it ?it is just pressing f and farming hearts for the map currenciesyou can get the map currency for jorbreakers in this festivalbuy gems, convert then buy jorbreakers from the tp. see anet has you in their mind

Giving a sizable gold and zone currency option to buy could be suitable. That way players can choose between doing the Skyscale “journey” or using currency options.

@Kelpersey.7614 said:Hi there! I'm Kelpersey or Aegia, as most people know me. I'm a 23 year old who's been trying to get the skyscale since I got the expansion almost 2 months ago. Now I know that doesn't seem like much, but as someone with crippling pain, I'm barely able to get on and play GW2 without having to log off less than a hour later. What this means is, it'll take me upwards of a year to finish all the hearts and collections needed for the Skyscale, I'm at the last part due to me pushing through the pain to try and rush it, only to realize I have to go around various maps for an undefined amount of time and try to collect all the materials without collapsing.

Now I know that doesn't seem too difficult, but I can barely move my arms at times and this makes playing very difficult. On the days where I can move better, I can play for a couple hours happily before reality sets in and I have to go crawl into bed and cry. I worked for over 130 hours to get the griffon, and now I feel like it's going to be more than that for me to get the new dragon.

A-Net, please keep the disabled players in your thoughts for how you design things, some of us aren't as able bodied as they others and will never be able to finish some collections.

So sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are struggling with! :anguished: I hope that you are able to get a controller and that makes he game more comfortable for you! If I understand correctly, have you finished the collections and are now working on map currencies? Are there particular ones that you are having difficulties with? Some definitely take longer than others! Do you farm home LWS4 instances? There are a lot helpful people who have all the home nodes for a guaranteed 3 of each currency a day. Might grouping with another player help make completing some of the hearts or other events easier? I’m only at the fifth episode/map now, but if I can help on any of the other maps, feel free to message me (I’m online most evenings, NA CST).

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:I don't think MMORPGs are for you. There are other games that are better suited for shot playing sessions.

You're wrong. (From someone who's chronically ill and often only able to play less than 1 hour at a time).

Those games don't have the social feel that comes with MMOs. The exploration, the freedom.

For many people with severe disabilities, MMOs are a way to escape their 4 walls, which they usually rarely leave and rarely get to meet people.

Well, if the OP is upset by goals in the game that require lots of time investment MMOs (and almost any type of RPG for that matter) arent the game of choice. There are many MP games that are not RPGs. No matter how you slice it there is no solution to the issue the OP has. GW2 is probably the most accessible MMORPG ever for people with limited time to play (for whatever reason).

The OP already agreed that they were being a "bit impatient".And there are plenty of able bodied people who complained about the skyscale being too long, that doesn't mean that they aren't happy with the rest of the game.

So there's no issue. Good.What I meant was that making the game more "accessible" to people with disabilities and having ANet consider disabled people when designing content ain't realistic. The vast majority of their customers aren't disabled.If it matters, I also suffer from a terrible chronic illness that prevents me from taking part in certain activities. I don't expect people to design activities meant for the general population with me in mind.

and yet Anet do consider their disabled customers, they made the skyscale catch game easier to complete.The rest of the skyscale is not difficult, tedious and may take the OP a couple of months but it's not difficult.It's not like raids, the skyscale is still meant to be easily accesible, but its also meant to be a goal and possibly a long term one for some players

@Taygus.4571 said:

and yet Anet do consider their disabled customers, they made the skyscale catch game easier to complete.The rest of the skyscale is not difficult, tedious and may take the OP a couple of months but it's not difficult.It's not like raids, the skyscale is still meant to be easily accesible, but its also meant to be a goal and possibly a long term one for some players

Anet was considering casual players, no disabled players. Making a game easier for everyone to cater to disabled people is just ....nuts.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

Anet was considering casual players, no disabled players. Making a game easier for everyone to cater to disabled people is just ....nuts.

Actually they were considering disabled players.

I guess you missed this thread

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/78566/why-i-will-never-be-able-to-get-a-skyscale/p2

Search for Stephane

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:Lets not compare the two, they are nothing alike. The only thing stopping you from getting griffon is gold. You can knock out the griffon in a day if you have the gold, and nothing about griffon requires you to group up to do events. Skyscale wasnt really thought out long term imo, anyone can go get the griffon or beetle at anytime in the games life, but the skyscale will be very hard to get in the future. If you didnt get in on it when it came out its going to be harder and harder to get. I think they put so much thought into the design of the mount they didnt think about the long term impact of a dead zone later on. Nothing stops you from getting any mount in the game its all a personal completion, cept skyscale this is a group content mount.

The Griffon requires multiple group events that fail with less than 10 players usually (Corrupted Facet Bounty, Defeat Warden Jabari in the Deadhouse, Giwebo the Rune of Humility drops from a Champion Unbound Djinn).

The Skyscale requires the Doppelgänger event. But I think that’s it. The most tedius parts of the collection are varying per player (Some hate Jumping Puzzles, but they can be skipped with the Pungent foods. Other players (myself included) found that farming the map currencies was the most tedius part). But all of it was a solo adventure. The PoF metas (including Doppelgänger) are done pretty regularly now they’re on a timer.

What we can compare is the amount of time the OP can play compared to others. The reasoning behind how much time can be spent in-game is irrelevant.

I stand by what i said. You have to do the camp events to open the vendors to do the skyscale. You need 10 events from each camp, good luck soloing them if you arent an op class. Thats why i said anyone starting this later will have a rough time, i can hardly find groups now. 6 months from now good luck.

One thing about the festival purchase of currency to note: It's capped at one purchase of each type per day. Which is still 50 of each a day, tons! But as the festival nears its close it will provide less and less currency in toto. Right now there are over five days remaining, so in theory one could start from zero and have all the Saddle currency by festival end (you need 5 days of daily purchases to get 250 currency). If you happen to be saving Jorbreakers up for a last day splurge, waiting to see how much currency you still need so you don't overspend the Jorbreakers, bear in mind that you will have choked off the currency fountain.

EDIT: Major OOPS pointed out by others below, I thought it was daily based on a friend buying some and having them disappear. Didn't even cross my mind that it was a longer time frame than that. Sorry! Guess at this point you only need 5 jorbreakers to cap out the festival currency. ANet wasn't as generous as I thought :(

@Donari.5237 said:One thing about the festival purchase of currency to note: It's capped at one purchase of each type per day. Which is still 50 of each a day, tons! But as the festival nears its close it will provide less and less currency in toto. Right now there are over five days remaining, so in theory one could start from zero and have all the Saddle currency by festival end (you need 5 days of daily purchases to get 250 currency). If you happen to be saving Jorbreakers up for a last day splurge, waiting to see how much currency you still need so you don't overspend the Jorbreakers, bear in mind that you will have choked off the currency fountain.

This is incorrect. You can only purchase map currencies once per week, with the vendor resetting at the weekly server reset on Monday. The most the OP could get would be 2 weeks worth or 100 map currencies each. If they haven't done any festival dailies and don't want to buy Jorbreakers from the TP they can get a maximum of 50 each before the end of the festival. Still worth it.

@Donari.5237 said:One thing about the festival purchase of currency to note: It's capped at one purchase of each type per day. Which is still 50 of each a day, tons! But as the festival nears its close it will provide less and less currency in toto. Right now there are over five days remaining, so in theory one could start from zero and have all the Saddle currency by festival end (you need 5 days of daily purchases to get 250 currency). If you happen to be saving Jorbreakers up for a last day splurge, waiting to see how much currency you still need so you don't overspend the Jorbreakers, bear in mind that you will have choked off the currency fountain.

It's a weekly merchant. It'll allow 1 purchase of each x50 bundle currency per week.

As far as I have seen, Anet has done a good job considering people of differing abilities and making things accessible to everyone, including options to help other players. Some additions that might be helpful would be the option to help another player complete hearts and a sort of teleport-friend-to-me device.

Anet should market a 'Give me achievement' button you can buy once every quarter from the gem store. This button allows the use to complete any particular achievement or achievement stack (give me sky scale, give me griffon) and remove the appropriate amount of materials/gold from the persons storage as well as give no AP. Use this for someone who needs to buy their way to something they really want but can't get through playing the game. Maybe not everything gotten this way but for things that are cosmetic or mounts. Imagine the mint they could have made for the warclaw from the people who just don't like wvw (for some strange reason when its the best mode in the game).

@zealex.9410 said:

@"reddie.5861" said:i dont understand why anet isnt just giving out mounts, i mean (dont get me wrong) i dont care if one is disabled or not.who cares how u get the mount getting it handed to you at end of living story or having to do a non sense "quest" to get it.

no i didnt get griffon nor i will get the skyscale.yes i barely pve so that might be the reason i just dont wanna stick any time in this kitten. if i had to gather xxx amount of map currencies easy, ill farm them tru reward track but when i have to do multiple things unable to do in sPvP or WvW then im out no joy for me.

on the other hand im not complaining either but i frankly dont understand why mounts should be "hard" to get or time consuming cus in gw2 nothing is hard.

Because some ppl see value in earning stuff rather than being given stuff.

i see value in having to fight things with brain in PvP but i dont get overloaded by items either..i mean even the worst player is probably harder to beat then any given npc.

I have a small idea of what you may be going through.

I had an issue about a year ago where I couldn't move my right thumb even far enough to snap my fingers. My tendon was enflamed due to constantly writing school papers and occasionally trying to game on the side. There was a time I wasn't sure if it was ever going to relax enough to type straight enough again let alone use a mouse.

Unfortunately, companies do a cost/benefit analysis when deciding on what "extra" to put into their games. However, there are companies and charities who specifically design controllers for individuals with certain needs. I just Googled "disabled video gamers" and came up with a whole list of people willing to help people just like you.

I hope you find a controller that fits your needs.

@"Luthan.5236" said:Is it actually required to play the game/newer maps?

No but I would say it is more annoying without it and having the the mastery for the Wall Launch.

In Dragonfall you can easily get access to them just by going partway into the story. There are a bunch of "rental" ones around the map like the griffon nests.

I'm still playing without expansions after having returned from a break since end of 2013. And sure: The mounts on old maps seem to make it easier/more comfortable. But then again old players that got all the old JP achievements and stuff back then at realease also did it without mounts. I guess for the new maps that come with the expansions some of the basic mounts are mandatory.

But I can't imagine that all mounts are required. Probably totally okay to have this one as long term goal while still being able to to most other stuff without it.

I have everything unlocked by still just use raptor 99% of the time anyway.

Raptor and springer pretty much covers everything except in specific situations.

The reason Dragonfall is annoying without it is because the map has a lot of places that is just too tall for the springer to jump and no footholds on the sides either. You can still get to the same places but it just requires more awareness/knowledge about the paths.

@"JUN YANG.4328" said:Just want to know how hard to get a Skyscale? just got back from 3 yrs' break. know nothing about POF.

If i say the difficult level for first gen legendary weapon is 100%. whats the percentage to getting a Skyscale? Thanks

This is so much easier in terms of time and gold requirements. I would put it around 25-35%There is a lot of running around all the maps, time-gated materials, and farming map "currencies."It's a good story for getting an optional mount.

@JUN YANG.4328 said:Just want to know how hard to get a Skyscale? just got back from 3 yrs' break. know nothing about POF.

If i say the difficult level for first gen legendary weapon is 100%. whats the percentage to getting a Skyscale? Thanks

I wouldn't say it's hard so much as time-consuming. You're going to need 250 of each map currency from LW4 for the saddle, for example, and it sounds like you'll be starting from zero if you just came back from that long of a break.

The skyscale was the first mount I got that required collections, and I consider it well worth it. It made getting the griffon and roller beetle after that a snap, and it's also great for map completions and mastery points. I absolutely love it.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

That is why it would be nice if, in collections like this, Anet could let us choose ..for example, do nine of the following ten with something special for doing them all.

@Blockhead Magee.3092 said:Anet should market a 'Give me achievement' button you can buy once every quarter from the gem store. This button allows the use to complete any particular achievement or achievement stack (give me sky scale, give me griffon) and remove the appropriate amount of materials/gold from the persons storage as well as give no AP. Use this for someone who needs to buy their way to something they really want but can't get through playing the game. Maybe not everything gotten this way but for things that are cosmetic or mounts. Imagine the mint they could have made for the warclaw from the people who just don't like wvw (for some strange reason when its the best mode in the game).

I could get behind this.