Feeling scammed regarding home node

I normally save up for the new living story home nodes so I can buy them and share with my friends, and the new node for Bound by Blood was no exception.

When I found the merchant selling the node, I discovered that it was 10g more expensive than past nodes (for a total of 60g + 5000 VM). I was a little dismayed, but chalked it up to inflation. I finished getting the VM I needed, purchased it, and went to my home instance to harvest it. It produced one hatched pepper, and nothing more. I was disappointed, but waited for reset and tried again. One pepper, again. I've heard that it can give more, but it doesn't provide multiple

So I looked on the forums and reddit to see what others had to say, and discovered that, unlike previous nodes from the story, there's a version of the node that can drop randomly and is tradable. That version is currently going for 43g-50g on the trading post.

I hope that Arenanet improves the drops from the home node and also does something to make the merchant version less of a scam, such as making the two versions of the node item each provide a distinct home instance node.

With the current value of VM it is actually cheaper than previous nodes. Which was 10,000 VM + 50g or roughly 88g while 5,000 VM + 60g is around 79g.

The home node has two rolls. The highest I have gotten on the second roll was 4 so that is a range of 1 to 5. As for the average I'll leave that to a more dedicated person

Yeah, I try to share my home instance any day that I am not in a rush, and have grown it over time to being almost full. Was happy for a new node to put in there despite the generally bad ROI on home nodes (they are generally only "worth it" over the long run AND if shared, and almost no one tips, so it's mainly for sharing). The method of obtaining changing suddenly after years of it being otherwise is kind of a gut-punch. Any single-use item dropping that widely is going to plummet in price over time so basically anyone who is a long time player/home-noder who bought it as they were "trained" over the years might as well have burned their gold/VM like a scene from the Dark Knight.

However, I do think that making this 2 distinct nodes, or two-tiered like the Greater/Gift of Candy Corn node. One unlocks it and and one upgrades it for an extra harvest (no need for a special art asset or anything either, can just drop two nodes next to each other). That addresses both the waste and (at least to some degree) the seemingly bleh RNG rate some people have complained about.

BTW I am assuming this is not already implemented, but the current wiki doesn't think so. If anyone gets a hold of both and runs that experiment and finds otherwise, please update. Otherwise, this is a small change that would be much kinder to players. People don't "waste" their currencies at the vendor just because the wiki doesn't have every single detail on launch day, and the random drop retains a value (even if likely lessening over time) all of it's own.

@"EnemyCrusher.7324" said:So I looked on the forums and reddit to see what others had to say, and discovered that, unlike previous nodes from the story, there's a version of the node that can drop randomly and is tradable. That version is currently going for 43g-50g on the trading post.

I hope that Arenanet improves the drops from the home node and also does something to make the merchant version less of a scam, such as making the two versions of the node item each provide a distinct home instance node.

You are literally feeling buyers remorse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer%27s_remorse), mostly due to:

• basing your purchase off of past experiences (all past nodes were implemented the same way)
  • insufficient research (in part due to lack of information but also lack of patience until sufficient information is available)
  • a potentially cheaper alternative available

Fist off, I too purchased the home node from the vendor on day 1. While I would be lying if I said I was super happy with my purchase, as with past home nodes, I'm certainly not unhappy because I try to see this in the bigger picture:

• encouraging players to use their homeinstances is of benefit to the game since it gives players more things to do and work for (which a couple of entry home nodes could do)
  • my past experiences with homenodes (and trying to get them as soon as possible since I gather my home instance daily) has provided me with a huge advantage over players who did not invest in their home node. Obviously for future living world releases I might check and see if the node becomes available via other means
  • the current drop in price will be temporary until the map sees less play, at which point it will likely adjust to the vendor price

The important part is that rewards are being made available to players. The rest is details which will sort themselves out. Think of it this way: yes, you might have payed a premium today, but your approach has net you a huge benefit in the past. Adapt and move on.

Another issue to note is that the chilis are very soon going to become inventory clutter anyway. With no option to consume or vendor them, their only uses are to make purchases and craft food. The number of available purchases most players will find useful is pretty limited, and I can't imagine it will be profitable to craft and sell the food, so soon enough you'll have to start reminding yourself to skip that one node just to avoid trashing the harvest . . .

EDIT: I guess it may be worthwhile to stockpile a few stacks just to wait and see what new eps bring, but any way you look at it there is going to be a point where you're hoping not to get chilis . . .

@Gop.8713 said:EDIT: I guess it may be worthwhile to stockpile a few stacks just to wait and see what new eps bring, but any way you look at it there is going to be a point where you're hoping not to get chilis . . .

Could be that the chilis aren’t much of a currency in future. If you consider that the map is just a prologue, in their words, and there’s not much risk/danger involved in accumulating them on this map, maybe they’re just a currency for this local map’s collectibles.

@Hawken.7932 said:

@Gop.8713 said:EDIT: I guess it may be worthwhile to stockpile a few stacks just to wait and see what new eps bring, but any way you look at it there is going to be a point where you're hoping not to get chilis . . .

Could be that the chilis aren’t much of a currency in future. If you consider that the map is just a prologue, in their words, and there’s not much risk/danger involved in accumulating them on this map, maybe they’re just a currency for this local map’s collectibles.

Right but we're talking about the home instance node, which ppl would ordinarily farm every day for as long as they play the game . . .

As someone with not much money in my wallet with an underdevelopment home instance, yeah, the cost was too high for something with little return. I could understand the inflation factor mentioned and the nerf if compared to other nodes, but being unable to eat the peppers to recover the Volatile Magic invested (and maybe have some profit, as there's nothing else to buy from Pepper vendor) is harsh, speaking in a long term.

I agree the home instance node is a bit underwhelming compared to previous nodes, BUT my biggest gripe about it is that it is poorly placed in the Asura home instance. It is not placed with the rest of the plants, but between two mining nodes in the main traffic area. This is doubly bad because like the ghost pepper node, the new pepper node has collision active... so you bump into it, even after it is harvested. The current location makes that collision a problem.

I really wish Anet would make home instance nodes placeables, because about half of them are in poor locations in the Asura home instance. Why isn't the lotus in the fountain instead of sort of near it? Why is the ghost pepper so close to the krait HP that it is obscured in the minimap? Why is the basic leather rack so close to an NPC that you can get dialog when trying to gather. Being able to place all these nodes myself could make the whole home instance pretty.

I think we should wait to see what comes with the next episode.

But, going off the GV wvw reward track, that upon completion unlocks the Icebrood Saga reward track, my gut tells me Hatched Chilis will be a sort of pre-req currency to be used along with the other upcoming map currencies introduced through this saga.

Thus, it makes sense they can't be consumed, because you'll likely need all you have and then some.

@Hawken.7932 said:

My theory is the complete opposite. I think they already mentioned that not every episode will have a new map but just expand the current map. So its likely that they may introduce more rewards for chilis in the future.

If that will be the case, plenty of players would be miffed, if they started consuming their chilis for VM because they thought they already got all the rewards they want with them.

@Wanze.8410 said:

My theory is the complete opposite. I think they already mentioned that not every episode will have a new map but just expand the current map. So its likely that they may introduce more rewards for chilis in the future.

If that will be the case, plenty of players would be miffed, if they started consuming their chilis for VM because they thought they already got all the rewards they want with them.Sounds plausible, especially considering how many complaints there were concerning the skyscale saddle cost of season currency from people who had consumed all of theirs for magic previously.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@hugo.4705 said:I think if all nodes was droppable during all the previous maps, I would have an almost full instance. I like the fact I've dropped it at effigee without having to spend gold.

You mean it dropped for you, not you've dropped it. ;) Since when can home nodes be event drops? :o

This is what i found really weird as i had it drop also and i'd already bought it and put in my home instance, so i got a spare 1, since when did home nodes become just random drops.

Apart from that it gives what it does similar to other nodes off its type.