Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

How can they fix your connection to the server?

LOL

Sure. It is our connection that, for instance, makes long PoF story missions disconnect with 100% accuracy at the very end of a mission (often before a final cinematic) on first try, then works perfectly fine on immediate replay. Then have the next long mission disconnect again at the end and work fine once more on an immediate retry. I can make you a list of missions that always do this for me.

This is no randomly occuring issue, there is an obvious game-sided loading issue at work here that can be successfully recreated each time.

(And I know what I am talking about, because I have played through the full story contents across 16 characters throughout many years.)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

I'm guessing it's not a simple issue to fix; many players, like me for example, never ever have disconnects during missions - others have them constantly. This leads me to think there's more to it than just the mission mechanics and/or code involved, but also some other component like possibly network connection or the players' own PC's.

That said, this has been going on long enough that it really should have been possible for Anet to work with some of the affected and figure out what's going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2021 at 9:07 AM, floppydisk.8579 said:

next time you do the story mission could you type in /ip into the chat box and take a screenshot of the result? maybe arenanet could update that command to add the user's ip address as well as the instance address.

I'll try that. I have 2 computers that often crash during story quest especially after/during a cinematic. 

The Crystal Dragon today has been crashing with every attempt to finish this story. It always happens after Kralk's death. 

Frustrating to say the least. 

On 12/13/2021 at 1:10 PM, Zohane.7208 said:

I'm guessing it's not a simple issue to fix; many players, like me for example, never ever have disconnects during missions - others have them constantly. This leads me to think there's more to it than just the mission mechanics and/or code involved

My guess: the people with disconnects are on the EU server, the ones with no such issue on NA.

• Confused 1

So I returned to GW2 after a couple of years, levelling a new character and checking out new content... only to find out this disconnection issue has not been resolved since ever... redoing quests because the end-scene cinematic somehow causes the client to lose its connection sucks balls. There are a quintillion posts about this, but I still have to find one that actually provides a solution or intention to solve this problem. (And no, it's not my internet connection, my firewall, my cables, my PC, my chair, my kitchen,...)

5 hours ago, Perfido.7869 said:

There are a quintillion posts about this, but I still have to find one that actually provides a solution or intention to solve this problem.

There have been a few people who have figured out what was causing it, but it was always a hardware or software problem. Considering that, a general test would be running the game under Linux (to rule out all software) and using a VPN (to rule out the network).

Other solutions that have been found are only workarounds and may not work for everyone. That would be using "-clientport 80" (or 443), and stalling (minimize the game) or padding your network traffic (spam actions in-game and run a live stream in the background) when you expect the disconnect to happen.

I started running my Elementalist through the PoF storyline since he hasn't done it yet and I wanted to re-play it all before EoD. Problem is, I can't even finish anything or get past instances without them crashing on me, or in one case soft lock one of the bosses.

The first instance to crash me upon getting to the end of it was going into Glint's Layer to defeat the corrupted golem thing, which is right near the beginning of the PoF story. I got past it the 2nd time, no crash and proceeded to the story instance in the Tomb of Primeval Kings and the 2nd protector spirit/King ended up getting himself stuck on a plant/rock near one of the pillars. That part of the fight you have to get him to run over to the mines placed by Canach. Without that, you cannot defeat him - so I had to leave the instance and come back.

I went back to re-do that story, got all the way to the part where I show respect and bow to the coffins in the tomb and it once again disconnected me and booted me to the character select screen so I have to now go back a 3rd time to complete that instance.

PLEASE fix these issues!!! I am not playing through any of it if this keeps happening to me, it's insane and makes me not want to play at all if my progress just gets cut off anyways. I'd appreciate it a lot. Does anyone else have this problem?

Update: Went back on my main character to try and re-play "A Star to Guide Us" and disconnected at the end cutscene. The story is unplayable.

Edited by Caitybee.3614
Update

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Thanks for the heads-up! So it's not an EU Amazon server issue after all. Good to know. 🙂

Yes, I just went back on to try and play "A Star to Guide Us" on my main and got disconnected at the end cutscene. The story is unplayable for me at this point unless a fix is implemented. I've never had this happen to me before either.

Since returning a few weeks ago I am getting CONSTANT story disconnects in-game. I mean I have to complete virtually every single story mission at least 2-3 times. I am now on the PoF story mission to kill the elementals and the glittering boss with the bubble, have done it 4 times in the past 1.5hrs and I literally cannot progress this kitten story. How do I stop this? I see people have been complaining about this for almost 5 years.. How is it STILL so bad? How do I progress? How do I get past this kitten?

And no, in case someone responds with template probing questions, the problem is absolutely 100% not on my end.

(Code=7:11:3:202:101)

• Like 1

I used to get disconnected regularly at the final cutscene when doing instances in party mode. What helped me is setting the streaming option to Max.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options#Streaming
Your issue sounds much more extreme and may therefore have a different underlying cause, but might be worth your experimenting with that option.

17 hours ago, HutchTouch.1589 said:

I see people have been complaining about this for almost 5 years.. How is it STILL so bad?

It has been at least 6 years.

It is still this bad because from all the reports it appears to be a player side issue.  The causes can be many things.

For example:

or this somewhat amusing one

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

It is still this bad because from all the reports it appears to be a player side issue.  The causes can be many things.

For example:

Ok but was their connection issue something with Wi-Fi or were they using a direct Ethernet connection? My PC uses a direct connection, and I have never had a problem like this until recently, and I even had this PC and same connection through the end of the Icebrood saga which went perfectly fine - no disconnects. So it's not me, can't be if other story instances worked just fine until recently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

For example:

No mate, I don't get DC'ed from literally any other game, including CS:GO where disconnects are even more devastating to your playtime. No MMO (including New World and WoW) disconnect me like this and it always happens at the same time every time. I play with ethernet and have a static IP address. The problem is absolutely not on my end.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

Ok but was their connection issue something with Wi-Fi or were they using a direct Ethernet connection? My PC uses a direct connection, and I have never had a problem like this until recently, and I even had this PC and same connection through the end of the Icebrood saga which went perfectly fine - no disconnects. So it's not me, can't be if other story instances worked just fine until recently.

Inconclusive ...

Another story instance that is bugged

The Departing

I always disconnect at the EXACT same point. After I am done fighting, talk to Joko, decline his offer but say I do need his army... RIGHT before the portal back. I disconnect.

The fact that it always happens in exactly the same place, means it is not me.

I talked with friends and they had the same in the EXACT same spot

The really annoying part is the fact that this instance has no save points. if this disconnect ahppens, you have to replay the ENTIRE instance. Which basically is wasting my time.

The fact I started reporting this on my main account 3 years ago, and today disconnect at the EXACT same place and have to redo the entire instance once more... Dissapointing to say the least.

ArenaNet, please value our ingame time and at LEAST put in savepoints so we do not have to be tortured by redoing entire - long instances.

• Like 1