Fishing: How would you all like this to work? [Merged]

• 1 year later...

Ideas I give to Anet about fishing.  Even if Anet doesn't add fishing in with the expansion, I really hope in the future they will add it to the game.  Here are my reasons ( and this is some feedback from other players as well) why we think fishing would add to and enrich the game:

Keeping exploration alive, for veteran and new players alike.  Each map will have certain types of fish you can fish up ( krytan maps will have a specific type, maguuma maps a different type, etc.)  I'm also thinking a very rare legendary catch in Frostgorge as well as the Orr maps, and of course all of the expansion maps too. Dynamic fishing events should be a thing, where you have pools of fish spawn nearby and players have to fish the pools and turn in the fish, or maybe defend the fisherman npc from mobs.  This will give veteran players more reason to visit all the maps and areas, engaging with newer players and keeping a more diverse population alive on all maps.

Presenting a new profession skill: Fishing.

This will bring in new recipes, not just for chef, but you can craft fishing related tonics, costumes, fishing poles and MAYBE even a legendary mount or quest-line to get a mount ( I'm thinking a boat, submarine, AUV's, etc.)  You should be able to craft fishing bait as well, to increase your chance to fish up rare items/fish.  Perhaps you could use the lower level fish you fish up to make this.

More crafting materials for all professions:  

Items such as sunken crates, soaked bags, old boots, etc. can contain cloth, leather, metals, gemstones, etc.  The actual fish will be for chef, and maybe you can "gut" the fish and inside find even more gemstones for jeweler.  

Gemstore Items:

Fishing poles are a gathering tool.  I can only imagine how cool it would be to get a choya fishing pole and see the special effects!

Endless bobbers/bait: This would increase your chance to fish up rare items and fish.

Fishing by-product gobbler: Fishing by-product will be something along the lines of bloodstone dust, memories of battle, etc.  Either way, it needs a gobbler.

So this is all I can think of at, but i'm sure more ideas will pop up.  I just really hope anet makes fishing in game a reality!

• Like 3

• Forum Moderator.7963 changed the title to Fishing: How would you all like this to work? [Merged]
4 hours ago, Belamara Calendula.2780 said:

Ideas I give to Anet about fishing.  Even if Anet doesn't add fishing in with the expansion, I really hope in the future they will add it to the game.  Here are my reasons ( and this is some feedback from other players as well) why we think fishing would add to and enrich the game:

Keeping exploration alive, for veteran and new players alike.  Each map will have certain types of fish you can fish up ( krytan maps will have a specific type, maguuma maps a different type, etc.)  I'm also thinking a very rare legendary catch in Frostgorge as well as the Orr maps, and of course all of the expansion maps too. Dynamic fishing events should be a thing, where you have pools of fish spawn nearby and players have to fish the pools and turn in the fish, or maybe defend the fisherman npc from mobs.  This will give veteran players more reason to visit all the maps and areas, engaging with newer players and keeping a more diverse population alive on all maps.

Presenting a new profession skill: Fishing.

This will bring in new recipes, not just for chef, but you can craft fishing related tonics, costumes, fishing poles and MAYBE even a legendary mount or quest-line to get a mount ( I'm thinking a boat, submarine, AUV's, etc.)  You should be able to craft fishing bait as well, to increase your chance to fish up rare items/fish.  Perhaps you could use the lower level fish you fish up to make this.

More crafting materials for all professions:  

Items such as sunken crates, soaked bags, old boots, etc. can contain cloth, leather, metals, gemstones, etc.  The actual fish will be for chef, and maybe you can "gut" the fish and inside find even more gemstones for jeweler.  

Gemstore Items:

Fishing poles are a gathering tool.  I can only imagine how cool it would be to get a choya fishing pole and see the special effects!

Endless bobbers/bait: This would increase your chance to fish up rare items and fish.

Fishing by-product gobbler: Fishing by-product will be something along the lines of bloodstone dust, memories of battle, etc.  Either way, it needs a gobbler.

So this is all I can think of at, but i'm sure more ideas will pop up.  I just really hope anet makes fishing in game a reality!

Ya, with certain people you can't bring up a topic that was written 16 months ago w/o getting it reported and merged cuz no way possible anyone would want to discuss it again or if they hadn't participated talk about it for the first time. Now noone will sift thru 5 pages because certain people still ruin these forums I see.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Jilora.9524 said:

Ya, with certain people you can't bring up a topic that was written 16 months ago w/o getting it reported and merged cuz no way possible anyone would want to discuss it again or if they hadn't participated talk about it for the first time. Now noone will sift thru 5 pages because certain people still ruin these forums I see.

The search function works now so no need to sift thru any pages to find the topic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think I got into this a LONG time ago when it was first brought up, but I honestly just want fishing to be simple. Nothing complex or convoluted. Don't make it a grind or a new mastery or any of that.

Keep it simple. Equip a fishing pole, now you get a cast skill. Use "cast" to throw your lure into any body of water. Once you get a bite, skill changes to "reel in". Click "reel in" to get your fish. That's it. That's all it needs to be.

As simple as gathering herbs, mining ore, or chopping wood. It's a gathering ability for cooking. Don't overcomplicate it. Fishing is meant to be a relaxing activity. We don't need a new craft to level, or mastery to earn, or something to level up, just equip a fishing pole, and go relax and fish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

The search function works now so no need to sift thru any pages to find the topic.

It's always worked to a certain extent. Now a moderator wouldn't go and find an over a year old topic to merge w/o someone for some unknown reason reporting it other then they dislike the topic. We all know the few who do this. A thread 18 months later is doing no harm and like I said it ruins the OP chance at getting an actual discussion going about their ideas just because one of you decide it's some issue and report it thus ruining these forums. Again if you are going to do this be consistent and harass every topic equally not just That person hates fishing topics so lets aggro every thread about fishing because 1 has existed back in the day. 

Oh the 5 pages meant the 5 pages of comments of this prior thread to get to the new OP comment if that was your confusion

Edited by Jilora.9524
added something
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

I think I got into this a LONG time ago when it was first brought up, but I honestly just want fishing to be simple. Nothing complex or convoluted. Don't make it a grind or a new mastery or any of that.

Keep it simple. Equip a fishing pole, now you get a cast skill. Use "cast" to throw your lure into any body of water. Once you get a bite, skill changes to "reel in". Click "reel in" to get your fish. That's it. That's all it needs to be.

As simple as gathering herbs, mining ore, or chopping wood. It's a gathering ability for cooking. Don't overcomplicate it. Fishing is meant to be a relaxing activity. We don't need a new craft to level, or mastery to earn, or something to level up, just equip a fishing pole, and go relax and fish. 

If they're going to make it that dull they may as well just go all the way and make fishing spots literally gathering nodes so we don't have to waste time waiting for permission to push the same button again to finish the process.

I know it seems like a small thing but that pointless time in between when you're just stuck standing there waiting to be told what fish you've got but can't do anything else is what puts me off fishing in Elder Scrolls Online. Every time I try it I get to that part and remember why I never bother.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If they're going to make it that dull they may as well just go all the way and make fishing spots literally gathering nodes so we don't have to waste time waiting for permission to push the same button again to finish the process.

I know it seems like a small thing but that pointless time in between when you're just stuck standing there waiting to be told what fish you've got but can't do anything else is what puts me off fishing in Elder Scrolls Online. Every time I try it I get to that part and remember why I never bother.

Maybe it's from my time playing WoW, but fishing has always been a relaxing thing to do. Something to do during the wait of waiting for a raid team to fill out, or get players for your dungeon, or just chatting in map chat. Hang out, get some fish while chatting with others. It was never meant to be a grind or a requirement. Just something to do on the side for fun.

If it was just a node, it would just be another resource to grind. With fishing, it's just something to take a break with or just chill. Toss on some tunes and kick back with a fishing pole. Get some fish, and hey, use them to cook something if ya wanted. But it's always been more about the relaxing experience than about farming a new resource.

• Thanks 1

Except for the fact that if Anet goes to the effort of adding fishing, they will tack achievements onto it, thus for a great many people making it a requirement.

Oh, and regarding the merging of threads, I would assume most people use the Activity button to find new posts, so the "new OP" won't get lost. Keep merging.

Edited by DeanBB.4268
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ok fishing, but then? I mean, what is the reward behind fishing? After 500 fishing tries you get a precursor? Sure, a chill activity, but at this point, wouldn't it be better for Anet to simply add an item of the gemstore for 500 gems called fishing rod?

It is a pleasure/fun gizmo aka like skyscale or doggy whistles or instruments so it just deserve a gizmo on gemstore.

"Enjoy the pleasure of fishing anywhere in tyria where you can find a sea, a lake or even puddle of water for only 500 gems! Have fun gathering salmons, clownfish or if you are unlucky, cans!"

19 minutes ago, hugo.4705 said:

Ok fishing, but then? I mean, what is the reward behind fishing? After 500 fishing tries you get a precursor? Sure, a chill activity, but at this point, wouldn't it be better for Anet to simply add an item of the gemstore for 500 gems called fishing rod?

It is a pleasure/fun gizmo aka like skyscale or doggy whistles or instruments so it just deserve a gizmo on gemstore.

"Enjoy the pleasure of fishing anywhere in tyria where you can find a sea, a lake or even puddle of water for only 500 gems! Have fun gathering salmons, clownfish or if you are unlucky, cans!"

This is probably the max amount of resources I'd put into fishing. A gizmo that let's the "fishing-YAY!-people" live their dream but won't affect anything else in the game. Let an intern do it to make the fishing threads end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. So it's fishing. Now WOW me with it.

Let me elaborate:

I wasn't on board with mounts, before PoF was released, but I was also under the impression, that mounts will be done like everywhere else. Flashy screen clutter that gives fast travel. But they did mounts and ANet did a great job on them, I could not imagine playing the game w/o mounts now.
I think, spending resources on fishing will be a waste, but I am also under the impression, that the feature will be done like everywhere else, an AFK-grindfest, an autoplay feature, something that will be soon forgotten. Now that it is confirmed, all I can hope for, is that ANet suprises me with fishing the way MMOs have never seen before. Wow me!