Fishing: How would you all like this to work? [Merged]

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Hashberry.4510 said:Something great about fishing, its a low key activity that doesn't get mobbed by others players. Great way to unwind.

That depends on the reward structure. If there isn't enough of a reward for a significant amount of the player base, why would ANet spend the time/resources to implement it?

No good reason for Anet to spend time on it at this point, I just wish they had. Though, as I mentioned earlier, I doubt Anet wastes much time with player opinions on this forum, so I do not see this as a constraint on sharing my views.

This isn't the kind of game for that to work. And for what? New cooking recipes that give buffs that already exist.

They're better off adding hunting instead with all the enemies and white mobs in the game. Heck that might have been a good feature to go with the theme of Icebrood Saga being focused around Charr and Norn.

@"Blude.6812" said:By going to another game where fishing is the reason to play, otherwise not needed at all or dev time wasted on it.P.S. this is a topic that has been addressed many many many many ......... times on the forums.

Yes, fishing is mentioned on the forum for years and it is a "dead horse" in GW2 like mounts and capes.…. but wait …. mounts and capes were added to GW2. ;)

So, there is hope for future fishermen, if fishing could be monetized with skins in the gem-shop.

P.S. There are some fishing hearts/minigames already in GW2. In Thunderhead Peaks, Sandswept Isles and maybe other maps.

@kharmin.7683 said:Well, capes are purely aesthetic and mounts actually serve a game purpose. The proposal for fishing does neither.

If fishing apparatus had animations and skins they could sell, that'd be both revenue and aesthetic. They would also serve three primary purposes in game:

• Regulating the economy through the items they choose to add as fishing loot
  • Providing content that could be employed on any map with water, thus enriching existing maps instead of land-locking interesting mechanics to single maps with a short lifespan
  • QoL; people would either enjoy doing this just for the sake of fishing in Queensdale (or inside a volcano, go live your best life) or it would simply be another way to collect loot as a reward for playing the game, hitting 80, and completing whatever steps would be necessary to obtain fishing

Here's the thing though: people wanted mounts and people wanted capes (and people wanted templates), and they did receive them. The issue? People aren't happy with the way they were implemented. Fishing could go down the same exact way. It's a feature I'd like, but I have the nagging sensation ArenaNet would do it goofy.

• 1 month later...

I would love Fishing to be added as some kind of gathering skill or a side profession, add a slot for a fishing rod, create a nice mini game for controlling the rod, record boards for the biggest catches and could work well with cooking and jewelley professions. Seeing as Anet implemented mount animations I can only imagine how nicely this would be done. I believe this would create some really nice social interactions, a moment of pause to talk with our friends in game.

We already have several implementations of fishing.

1) Underwater combat style.2) Sandswept Isles event (throw something in the water and then lure it in, on the northern island).3) Thunderhead Peaks (lure a fish into a bucket straight from the water, at a heart in south near waypoint).4) Bjora Marches (fish event and fish scrap event, kill a fish on ice, pick it up, put it in a bucket on any fishing spot in the west of the map).

I.o.w. Anet did listen and has added fishing plenty of times by now.

Oh and they added a fishing rod weapon skin for staff in Bjora Marches, karma npc, as well.

You should dive into the icy waters naked then punch and wrestle the fish until it becomes incapacitated. Afterwards you hoist the fish out of the waters with your bare hands while fending off would be thieves looking to steal your prize. You can take bites out of the fish during the struggle to regain health but this will reduce the value of your catch.

Make it more of a collection, from common to rare fishes. I, sometimes spend time idling while having a conversation with guildies and friends, so I would love to visit that giant lobster seaport in LA and be there for a while. Worrying about bots is a lazy excuse to post about something you clearly don't care, and wouldn´t in anyway bother you in any aspect of your game experience.

Here's a wacky idea: a fish tank or aquarium for the Home Instance. Instead of some garbage QTE mini-"game" that people keep insisting they want, we make catching fish something interesting: a displayable collection. Like the Cats before it, obtaining each fish should pose a small challenge in itself, particularly under the idea that we are capturing and transporting live specimens rather than simple sportfishing. They could even add some daily "chores", since people seem to love those, to maintain the tank and gamify expanding it for more/larger specimens.

if they were to add it, it would just be a water node like tree,ore and grass nodes. Problem that arises with that is now adding countless nodes to every map with water AND having to focus on cooking items related to aquatic type of meat. Not to mention a a slight change in the UI to allow a "rod" gathering tool.

Wouldn't be worth it. Even if they WERE to gem store the permanent "water node" items.