In-Game Housing [Merged]

1 minute ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Disagree.

Send me money and you can't say no, because people said "no" to mounts and now they're ingame.

That's how it's supposed to work?

Anyways...

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I don't like this idea and there were already multiple threads about this. The idea about players being able to pop up random houses in random places in ow just makes it that much worse for me. 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

So anyway, the frozen people from the north could get these large mobile caravans that can be transported across zones and placed anywhere that's level and sturdy. They could be pulled by Yak! You could craft additional caravan upgrades with a new "furniture" crafting line. Just another idea 🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

So anyway, the frozen people from the north could get these large mobile caravans that can be transported across zones and placed anywhere that's level and sturdy. They could be pulled by Yak! You could craft additional caravan upgrades with a new "furniture" crafting line. Just another idea 🙂 

The idea about players being able to pop up random houses in random places in ow which would simply get in the way of almost any other content the game has just makes it that much worse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Here's a solution for ya since you're quick to say no when you don't like something rather than offering possible solutions to your own gripes.

There could be a toggle option to turn off "player homes" in the openworld for those that don't want to see them, POOF problem solved...just assign the collision detection to that feature and now no issues, it's as if they aren't even there. 

But hey, maybe this was never really about what YOU see in YOUR gamespace but rather that other people can have fun in unapproved by Sobx ways.

Edited by Marikus.1875
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

9 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Here's a solution for ya since you're quick to say no when you don't like something rather than offering possible solutions to your own gripes.

I don't know why am I supposed to try and find a solutions for you, for the idea I dislike at its core (because, again, trying to make them into "random buildings popping up in the middle of playable content" just makes it worse, it's not the only reason I dislike the idea of adding housing when we already have alternatives for that which require gameplay in order to get additional decorations).

There could be a toggle option to turn off "player homes" in the openworld for those that don't want to see them, POOF problem solved...just assign the collision detection to that feature and now no issues, it's as if they aren't even there. 

Then what's the point of them? How does it interact with the owner of the house? Can they put a free LoS obstructing structure for themselves? Can they close a boss -or event mobs, or juvenile creatures, or event related npcs or 20 other things- inside? It's not just about other players being able to see it (which, btw, easly goes against the idea of having them in the ow in the first place?), the whole idea of those sounds just bad and asks for more spaghetti in the game.

But hey, maybe this was never really about what YOU see in YOUR gamespace but rather that other people can have fun in unapproved by Sobx ways.

Good try! But as explained above, no.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Then what's the point of them?

Ah and alas we get to the root of your problem:

"I don't understand why people would enjoy something I don't enjoy, MEH!"

The point of them, Sobx, is that they would be fun, which, and get ready for this revelation of a statement...IS SUBJECTIVE.

Just because you don't see the player house in the openworld doesn't mean someone else isn't zoned into it enjoying it. Hmmm, it's almost like, other MMO's already do this successfully and don't have these weird comments about it...hmmm, I wonder what other large MMO's do this already...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Ah and alas we get to the root of your problem:

Can you respond to the whole post instead of quoting a single short question and avoid the key points of what I wrote jsut to pretend it's somehow "something I don't understand" when I clearly gave more detailed reasoning behind that question? 🙄

Here's the rest of the post for your convenience (minus that one question you quoted above):

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I don't know why am I supposed to try and find a solutions for you, for the idea I dislike at its core (because, again, trying to make them into "random buildings popping up in the middle of playable content" just makes it worse, it's not the only reason I dislike the idea of adding housing when we already have alternatives for that which require gameplay in order to get additional decorations).

(...)How does it interact with the owner of the house? Can they put a free LoS obstructing structure for themselves? Can they close a boss -or event mobs, or juvenile creatures, or event related npcs or 20 other things- inside? It's not just about other players being able to see it (which, btw, easly goes against the idea of having them in the ow in the first place?), the whole idea of those sounds just bad and asks for more spaghetti in the game.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Nice idea 

Housing with bring more people from other games , rather than lets say more instanced content .

(But lets wait for a bit for what WoW will implant . We invested in focusing new techonologies , so in the "boring times" we have the leassure of creating intustry standard mechanics , like housing)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Since this topic is here like every 2-3 months since release I do not think we will ever get it. Seeing how fishing ended up, it was also brought every 2-3 months...no, I absolutely dont want housing in this game. Anet does not know how to do such things imo. They would need too much resources for it and right now there are more important or even more fun things to change/add.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Marikus.1875 said:

So your solution is that they create a feature to hide the feature you're actually pleading for... 🤔

It would make much more sense to create player housing outside of OW, e.g. the Guild Hall or possibly even a separate instance of its own. Randomly placed in OW, considering how many players there are, not such a good idea. Toggle or no toggle.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

So your solution is that they create a feature to hide the feature you're actually pleading for... 🤔

Neither you nor that other guy make sense, at all.

The feature of keeping player housing mobile is just that, to keep it mobile so you're not stuck in one area or going "back to your home." I frankly don't care if someone else sees my home or not...the feature is for the player to enjoy...collect things, decorate the home, etc. it's a piece of the world made pocketsize just for you...so to the point of giving players an option to toggle that off (like they should have a toggle to remove obnoxious skins and effects on our screen) it makes no difference to the player who is using it...they got it because THEY enjoyed it.

Wildstar and Albion Online already did the isolated island thing.

FFXIV already did entire neighborhoods things.

SWG already did entire player created towns

Runescape already did...runescape stuff

etc. etc.

This would be a unique way to player house in GW2 which is appropriate for it's industry-setting standard mechanics like its mounts.

Edited by Marikus.1875
  • Confused 5

As you said yourself, there is a link between this discussion and the housing discussion. I was never for mounts as the request back then was to implement them like they did in this or that game. And to be honest that kind of implementation was not fitting and will never be fitting. The strenght of GW2  is that they never look at other games (They do look at other games as player demands are high for future x or y, but when they do it is poorly executed). Only when they do it in their own way and time, it is succesfull. So instead of naming all kinds of games that have housing systems and rating them. Look at the current home instance and ask how you would like them to be improved. So without saying look at game x or game Y as that would be terrible.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, rainhelm.3827 said:

Its a low hanging fruit, I see people make all sorts of cool stuff with housing in ESO, from jumping puzzles to PvP arenas.

Here they do this in guild halls. I prefer guild halls over personal houses because on guild halls you work together with your guild. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

For the low low price of 101g, you can choose from 1 of 5(?) smashing locations that you can decorate and fill with various furniture and keepsakes, and you can travel there from anywhere anytime you like. You can even fit a beetle race track and jps within.

P.s. it's not that I don't commiserate. I want my own inquest battle cruiser that I can park in any sky, which interior I can decorate as I like.

Edited by casualkenny.9817
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Neither you nor that other guy make sense, at all.

The feature of keeping player housing mobile is just that, to keep it mobile so you're not stuck in one area or going "back to your home." I frankly don't care if someone else sees my home or not...the feature is for the player to enjoy...collect things, decorate the home, etc. it's a piece of the world made pocketsize just for you...so to the point of giving players an option to toggle that off (like they should have a toggle to remove obnoxious skins and effects on our screen) it makes no difference to the player who is using it...they got it because THEY enjoyed it.

Wildstar and Albion Online already did the isolated island thing.

FFXIV already did entire neighborhoods things.

SWG already did entire player created towns

Runescape already did...runescape stuff

etc. etc.

This would be a unique way to player house in GW2 which is appropriate for it's industry-setting standard mechanics like its mounts.

Makes no sense? You are literally advocating for player housing and in the same message propose that people can toggle it off. It would be much more logical to implement a new chance that doesn't need a system with which you can hide it, e.g. an instance. Your very own instance that nobody else sees in the open world. Like a guild hall. If it hadn't been for the fact not everybody has a guild I would suggest to implement player housing in guild halls. But a separate instance makes it accessible to everyone, guild or not. And even if you place houses in OW and people can hide them, what about collisions? Hiding means the item is still there. You'd need a toggle for both the visual and collision. Unless you want people running through the walls of your house while adventuring.

Also, it's not really a house if you can pack it up and move it with you. This isn't Hawai'i, where people can move their houses to avoid encroaching lava flows. Houses tend to stay in one place and tend to not be portable. If you want player tents, sure, move around all you want. Also, why not "go back to your home"? It's meant to be a house for our characters, right? So it would very much be like going home. Putting it in a strange/foreign environment (for the character) makes it less of a home.

It makes perfect sense to keep this separate from the open world maps. I can't help it doesn't make sense to you. I think it's more likely you prefer replies that agree with you wholeheartedly. You asked for alternatives and ideas from those who don't agree with you instead of just critiques. And when people provide them, you're still not happy?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've gone through a few phases on the matter of player housing.

At first, I really liked the idea of including it. I've liked the housing system in most other games I've tried that have such a system, and I'm confident Anet's version of it could be good.

Over time, I just made peace with the fact that the guild hall system is the closest we'll get, and stopped supporting the idea of a separate player housing system. It wasn't hard at all to round up a few people from LA to help me cap a guild hall for my solo guild, and that's now my "player housing."

However, I've kind of circled back to the "add player housing" camp. It seems kind of lame that the game has great infrastructure for it in place, but we're forced to intrude upon an entirely different system (the guild system) just to simulate player housing. Moreover I can imagine that a newer player might not be too keen on the idea of hiring strangers to help capture a guild hall, or really even think to do so in the first place. As long as housing is instanced (so nobody ever has to see anyone's home in the middle of the open world somewhere) and doesn't require a massive effort to implement on Anet's part, I'm all for having it in the game.

• Confused 3