Sniper, no sniping!

Randalph.9172

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone's playing against NSP I take it. Yeah, was not fun before. We lost a lot of commanding nights.

There's nothing wrong with pinsniping when it's done by a really risky play with a roaming class that sucks in zergs. At least, it wasn't ever really a problem in the past, and was a major aspect of playing some builds well, since the engage needs to be coordinated with the push and carries a significant risk to comp and the individual player trying it.

Issue right now with it is pinsniping isn't being done by some kind of deep-diving mesmer or thief when the fight is just starting (and in a position/period of time the commander can just be resurrected), but rather through a myriad of pull effects before the fights even begin via shared stealth, while simultaneously, stability is so hard to access for large groups let alone keep up prior to the engage.

Thanks for the insight, I can definitely see some valid points here. I can also understand why some people want to just level up & PPT train, but for me it’s about the fights. To me there is nothing more fun than two or three organized groups engaging in battle, outnumbered or not, to see who can sustain the most. FYI I am not fighting NSP & do not wish to name any servers or commanders, this thread was just to find out real reasons why people snipe commanders constantly instead of running meta support/damage builds as part of a larger team. To each there own I guess.

More fun to snipe the tail.

I’ve tried to pin snipe but have rarely been successful. It only brings the ire of the zerg to my location. I find that yanking out the tail is safer and more effective, as the commander is less likely to turn his group around just to save a couple of ppl behind him. The tail tends to be the squishier part of the group (glassy ranged, newer, not in comms, less support, etc.). It’s how a large group of roamers can fight off an organized zerg. They chase one guy, only to have enemy roamers pick off their tail constantly until the zerg is whittled down.

@Oogabooga.3812 said:Eat your veggies!

YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!!! :#

This morning I was doing my dailies real quick and saw a tag with about 15 peeps build two catas by a nearby tower, so went over to help. Enemy group of about 30+ stacked up nearby, and flash built two AC's...only to get one pushed by us and chased all the way back to SMC; we then turned around and flipped the tower.

There are days when WvW plays more like a parody than a competitive game mode.

@Oogabooga.3812 said:More fun to snipe the tail.

I’ve tried to pin snipe but have rarely been successful. It only brings the ire of the zerg to my location. I find that yanking out the tail is safer and more effective, as the commander is less likely to turn his group around just to save a couple of ppl behind him. The tail tends to be the squishier part of the group (glassy ranged, newer, not in comms, less support, etc.). It’s how a large group of roamers can fight off an organized zerg. They chase one guy, only to have enemy roamers pick off their tail constantly until the zerg is whittled down.

One of my favorite things is waiting for the folks who try to pick off the tail and take them out. A few of us straggle behind as bait sometimes for this. Its lead to some of the best small scale fights I've ever been part of.

WvW where someone else's annoyance is your tactic. It what makes the game mode fun.

@Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

@Oogabooga.3812 said:More fun to snipe the tail.

One of my favorite things is waiting for the folks who try to pick off the tail and take them out. A few of us straggle behind as bait sometimes for this. Its lead to some of the best small scale fights I've ever been part of.

WvW where someone else's annoyance is your tactic. It what makes the game mode fun.

I have been baited and caught by this a few times, but not often. It’s usually the smaller groups (5-10) that might do this. The counter to the counter of countering strategies!

Ah, another thread divided into entrenched sides.

When, how or why it is done is far more important than if it is done. If you do it to make a player quit, if you do it in a situation when you have two even sides that can produce content and ruin that for them (both your side and the opposing side) or if you do it repetively/habitually to achieve either of those things, well, then you are griefing. That is frowned upon for the same reasons as repetively stalking and ganking a new player or trolling with siege and tacts in various ways. It's mostly just frowned upon by players because it is up to ArenaNet to design- or enforce against it if they disapprove of the behaviour.

If you do it as a cloud against something organized, to cut an opponent down to size or to achieve some other specific once or twice it's a whole different story. You may be doing it to enable content. People are generally not concerned with it then and there so people will not complain about it, well most not.

@Randalph.9172 said:Because some commanders get so annoyed they rage quit. When it's happening constantly during every engagement I would get tired of it fast too. I have not experienced it myself as I do not drive, but I know of many commanders who have.

Getting steam rolled by map blobs gets old too. Advise them to cinch up their big boy pants and get gud.

@Randalph.9172 said:Because some commanders get so annoyed they rage quit. When it's happening constantly during every engagement I would get tired of it fast too. I have not experienced it myself as I do not drive, but I know of many commanders who have.

This is why. Zergs fall apart when the commander dies more often than not. This allows the opposing armies to continue rampaging, flipping things and basically turning the map their color, which is ultimately part of the game mode's entire objective.

Defend your commander.

There's a reason in the wars of past, you try to kill the general or king.

@Bezerker.2379 said:

This is why. Zergs fall apart when the commander dies more often than not. This allows the opposing armies to continue rampaging, flipping things and basically turning the map their color, which is ultimately part of the game mode's entire objective.

Defend your commander.

I was under the impression plebs weren't to kill aristocrats in many cultures throughout history. Heck, even thinking bad thoughts about your landlord was an offence against God in some times.

AoE reflection is basically always up in large group content, especially on the commander. Moreover, the tag is usually running a tanky build, healing themselves and being healed and receiving barrier from allies.The only tags that die to snipers are bad players that are caught off guard (get it?) whilst afk making a sandwish. Also their whole party is afk making a sandwich -- including their pick/roamers who should be dealing with those snipers whom are almost certainly running full glass.

I hate playing this card, but this is very much l2p.

~ Kovu

@LetoII.3782 said:

Defend your commander.

I was under the impression plebs weren't to kill aristocrats in many cultures throughout history. Heck, even thinking bad thoughts about your landlord was an offence against God in some times.

That only works if the plebs aren't starving. In WvW, that's basically when the karma train gets derailed.

Take out the commander to destabalize the group.Sound and very normal tactics in warfare wherever you go.

Recent example: while roaming I got steamrolled by a 30-ish squad.So yeah I don't feel any remorse about returning and taking down the comm.That's not me being a pest, that's me doing valid retaliation.

Action equals reaction.

If you don't like warfare and tactics, don't play wvw

As for the "biggest charr in front of the pack" haha so recognizable.Use an asura, hide in your squad and make it harder for us to pin the comm but nooo... make it as flashy as possible.

I always go for the biggest charr with that ugly warbringer backpack 'cause you know... odds :)