Expansion: Title name? And release date guesses?

I know they already used Winds of Change for the Canthan part of GW:Beyond, but it fits their naming scheme for the GW2 expansions so perfectly I wouldn't be surprised if they reused it.

Not just the "X of Y" format, but the focus on some element of nature and the fact that their titles are usually a fairly abstract phrase rather then being too literal.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like for them to continue the trend of naming the expansion X of Y .Seeing how we got that beautiful bell as a teaser for Canthaand how jade is very involved in classic Chinese arts, Legacy of Jade might be a fitting name.This name would also be a nice throw back to the Jade Winds, whose affects are in the process of reverting.

@"coso.9173" said:but we don't know for sure they just started working on it, maybe they had already some work on it, as what was going to be originally season 6, but now it has to be ready all at the same time. we don't have that info.the only thing we can kind of guess is that the backslashj for season 5 not being an expac is what made them decide to work on a new expac.Yes, we can approximate the point at which they decided they need to start working on a new expac - that point is somewhere in the first quarter of this year.

Yes, it is possible they might have decided to use what was supposed to be a season 6 as a basis for an expansion, but i think that's pretty unlikely.

First, up until they mentioned an expansion, Cantha was not even in the picture. It was something some players hoped for, but not something that Anet was really interested in doing. Everything we've seen so far seems to imply that season 5 won't close the Jormag arc (at best it will end in some huge reveal), and the continuation of it will be in season 6. Cantha is something completely else. It's mostly likely that it's a direction that was decided upon not as a continuation of the story, but as a "we need a good expansion theme asap, preferably something players will hype about" kind of thing.

Second, while you may think that using season 6 as a basis for expansion might make the expansion arrive faster, you need to be aware, that so far none of the previous LSes would have mede a good expac. They are simply done differently, and concentrate on different things.Look at both HoT and PoF - they indroduce a whole new region of interconnected maps, and a story that links those maps together. Now compare that to LS-es - they are generally a collection of disjoined maps, that are mostly self-contained in both story and everything else. Basically, if Anet did decide to use a season as a basis for expansion, they'd still need to redo most of what they have already done for it. It would either not save much time, or it would result in a subpar expansion.

Third (the most important actually) - you do realize they haven't probably even started working on Season 6 yet (we're barely at the midpoint of season 5, they are still working on those chapters), so they don't have anything they could possibly use for expansion, right?

So, the best they might have could be a general idea for story and direction. Which is probably the least time-consuming part of the expansion work.

It's too soon for me to think up anything like this..

We don't know anything about the plot/story that will be involved in taking us there so it's a total shot in the dark atm with the name.

Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns are aptly named for their content..Balthazar the God of Fire and War spreading his forces and will across Elona essentially a path of fire through the desert.And Heart of Thorns relating to both Mordrmeoth and the final location in the expansion where Mordremoth's physical Dragon Body/Mouth dwells, the large ancient tree where the spinning double helix structure is located.. aka the literal Heart of Thorns which is the core of Mordremoths domain and his gigantic burried mass.

@"Theros.1390" said:Who knows, maybe the guy who did this is a medium :o

Wow, that looks really awesome. From the GW2 logo, to the elite spec icons. Whoever made it did a great job. I can definitely see Anet increasing the amount of underwater content in the next expansion. I don't know why but I just have a gut feeling there's going to be some more underwater content, weapons, etc. - it's a shame it's a fan-made concept, because the website was done very well, even looks legitimate!

Great ideas and guesses guys, keep em coming. I agree that 2020 would probably be too early, especially with all the lockdown stuff. It's more likely to be 2021 or 2022 at this rate. One can still hope for a late 2020 release though :P

@Zaoda.1653 said:I can definitely see Anet increasing the amount of underwater content in the next expansion.With how Arenanet treats aquatic weapons and shoves all the spear skins into the staff category instead, as well as the constant neglect of UW combat, I can definitely see Arenanet not increasing it in the next expansion.

• 1 month later...

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Zaoda.1653" said:Release date guess:September 23, 2020You do realize that they've just started working on it, and that it takes around 2 years to make an expansion?I'd say that the most likely date is somewhere in summer/autumn
(their usual release dates were around october/november, but autumn 2021 seems to early. I'd think that the fastest it could be ready would be Q1 2022)

Hmmm...,

An expansion is pretty big correct?It involves new maps, new story, possibly new elites, etc...

Only two years?

Huh....

I would figure, given their development pace for other smaller projects since the last expansion that a new expansion would take 4-5 years.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring/p1

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"Zaoda.1653" said:Release date guess:September 23, 2020You do realize that they've just started working on it, and that it takes around 2 years to make an expansion?I'd say that the most likely date is somewhere in summer/autumn
(their usual release dates were around october/november, but autumn 2021 seems to early. I'd think that the fastest it could be ready would be Q1 2022)

Hmmm...,

An expansion is pretty big correct?It involves new maps, new story, possibly new elites, etc...

Only two years?

Huh....

I would figure, given their development pace for other smaller projects since the last expansion that a new expansion would take 4-5 years.

"only 2 years" being a relative term since Anet probably began working on the next expansion at least 2 years ago.

People seem to forget that PoF was released in 2017. Hell it wouldnt even surprise me if the next expansion was being blueprinted before PoF even released.

Why do you think we'll never see alliances, lol.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Hmmm...,

Only two years?

Huh....

"only 2 years" being a relative term since Anet probably began working on the next expansion at least 2 years ago.

People seem to forget that PoF was released in 2017. Hell it wouldnt even surprise me if the next expansion was being blueprinted
before PoF even released

Why do you think we'll never see alliances, lol.

?

Oh agreed. My post had my tongue planted firmly in cheek.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Hmmm...,

Only two years?

Huh....

"only 2 years" being a relative term since Anet probably began working on the next expansion at least 2 years ago.We know no expansion was in the works around the time Icebrood Saga shipped (and seeing their hope at that time to shift to a completely expansionless model, probably for a few more months as well - long enough for them to see this wasn't working). In fact, there are some heavy suspicions that Icebrood Saga is what remains of their post-PoF attempts for next expac that were canned when they shifted a large part of their devs towards "other projects".

The Cantha Expansion seems to be a completely new thing, probably started around the time of the announcement (the fact it is Cantha, clearly suggests it's a stopgap measure to please the crowd, not something originally planned). So, i would expect to see the normal, full development cycle. Which for expansion seems around 2 years.Although yes, it may be longer now, seeing as they've lost some devs compared to the numbers they had when they were shipping PoF.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Hmmm...,

Only two years?

Huh....

"only 2 years" being a relative term since Anet probably began working on the next expansion at least 2 years ago.We know no expansion was in the works around the time Icebrood Saga shipped (and seeing their hope at that time to shift to a completely expansionless model, probably for a few more months as well - long enough for them to see this wasn't working). In fact, there are some heavy suspicions that Icebrood Saga is what remains of their post-PoF attempts for next expac that were canned when they shifted a large part of their devs towards "other projects".

The Cantha Expansion seems to be a completely new thing, probably started around the time of the announcement (the fact it
is
Cantha, clearly suggests it's a stopgap measure to please the crowd, not something originally planned). So, i would expect to see the normal, full development cycle. Which for expansion seems around 2 years.Although yes, it
may
be longer now, seeing as they've lost some devs compared to the numbers they had when they were shipping PoF.

Do you think they don't/won't have 70 Devs to work on the expansion? (That's how many worked on Path of Fire.)Could be, I guess.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Hmmm...,

Only two years?

Huh....

The Cantha Expansion seems to be a completely new thing, probably started around the time of the announcement (the fact it
is
Cantha, clearly suggests it's a stopgap measure to please the crowd, not something originally planned). So, i would expect to see the normal, full development cycle. Which for expansion seems around 2 years.Although yes, it
may
be longer now, seeing as they've lost some devs compared to the numbers they had when they were shipping PoF.

Do you think they don't/won't have 70 Devs to work on the expansion? (That's how many worked on Path of Fire.)Could be, I guess.

I doubt there are many developers working on the expansion right now.Most of them likely are busy with finishing Season 5.After all, they have four content teams, with three of them working on the Saga.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Do you think they don't/won't have 70 Devs to work on the expansion? (That's how many worked on Path of Fire.)Could be, I guess.

Better question would be how all the other stuff might be impacted by suddenly moving 70 devs off it to create a new team. Remember, everything points out to them having no such team at least till the end of 2019, and i don't really believe they managed to hire 70 good quality devs (or even, 70 devs of any quality) this year. Especially with Covid complicating things.So, my guess is that they created the expac team out of all those devs they could spare from other projects. And personally i doubt that a team created that way would be equal to the one that was doing PoF. How would that impact the development process is anyone's guess, of course, but i sincerely doubt it would hasten the development cycle.