Elite Reinforcements Package 3000 gems

Since that is on sale: what's the "most annoying" class to level to 80 and awesome to play at 80?I myself tried engineer and mesmer, but they are kind of underpowered in open world.Which class would you have boosted if you had the chance? Perhaps useful for newcomers/ returning players.

Rev probably.

Class is pretty awful until you have enough HP's to unlock at least 2 full Legends, whilst also having some points into an actual Specialization. Given that the entire core mechanic for Rev is to swap legends because that's how you regain energy.

Warrior is also a good class to boost, leveling up can be annoying with little sustain until you get Might Makes Right. Though, its current end-game is kind of so-so with them not being amazing in PvP modes and PvE-wise they end up being bannerslaves...

Ele can also be annoying to level, given their squishiness. At level 80 they're pretty fun though, especially with Weaver/Tempest E-Specs.

Beyond that, the rest of the classes are pretty fine for leveling up. Ranger can do whatever because pet tanks while you murderize everything. Guardian does Guardian things. Necro powerlevels like a beast. Thief levels fine, if a little tedious when relying on something like Sword autos and Black Powder spam.

@Randulf.7614 said:I found Mesmer the worst to level. I’ve never really got into the class at 80 either and I really wanted to

The trick with leveling Mesmer is just to go Illusions (Persistence of Memory, Phantasmal Haste, Phantasmal Force) asap, training the Heal Signet (for Phantasm Reset) and then just spam out Phantasms (Weapons and Utilities) for perma 25 Might and Quickness pretty early on, melting everything.

Rev is probably the fastest and Necro the slowest and what I would most likely boost.

Off the top of my head, from best and quickest to worst to level, probablyRevenant > Guardian > Ranger > Mesmer > Warrior > Ele > Engie > Thief > Necro

@Asum.4960 said:Rev is probably the fastest and Necro the slowest and what I would most likely boost.

Off the top of my head, from best and quickest to worst to level, probablyRevenant > Guardian > Ranger > Mesmer > Warrior > Ele > Engie > Thief > Necro

lel

Necro is super easy leveling.

Grab Epidemic and Lingering Curse ASAP. Then run around with exp boosters on mass killing enemies 9 levels higher than you.

By far the best class for leveling, no other class has such an easy time mass slaughtering enemies like that.

@Taril.8619 said:

@Asum.4960 said:Rev is probably the fastest and Necro the slowest and what I would most likely boost.

lel

Grab Epidemic and Lingering Curse ASAP. Then run around with exp boosters on mass killing enemies 9 levels higher than you.

By far the best class for leveling, no other class has such an easy time mass slaughtering enemies like that.

Considering a ranger pet can solo the leveling experience, nothing is hard there and it just becomes a matter of speed, at which core Necro, especially condi, is probably the worst at, considering everything else can just run around oneshotting mobs at that point.

@Asum.4960 said:

lel

Considering a ranger pet can solo the leveling experience, nothing is hard there and it just becomes a matter of speed, at which core Necro, especially condi, is probably the worst at, considering everything else can just run around oneshotting mobs at that point.

Except, it's much faster to level up using boosters and killing enemies 9 levels up.

Which can only be done via conditions, due to glancing blows and the fact they'll one-shot you and your pets due to the level difference.

Necro has the easiest time powerleveling like this, due to ranged Condi's, plus easy AoE cripple to help with kiting. With Epi and LC you also get good AoE condi application so can even pull multiple enemies at once.

Of course, if you level slowly, only killing enemies the same level as you or 1-2 levels higher than you, then other classes can out perform. But that strategy has a much slower leveling speed overall.

@Taril.8619 said:

lel

Except, it's much faster to level up using boosters and killing enemies 9 levels up.

Which can only be done via conditions, due to glancing blows and the fact they'll one-shot you and your pets due to the level difference.

Necro has the easiest time powerleveling like this, due to ranged Condi's, plus easy AoE cripple to help with kiting. With Epi and LC you also get good AoE condi application so can even pull multiple enemies at once.

Of course, if you level slowly, only killing enemies the same level as you or 1-2 levels higher than you, then other classes can out perform. But that strategy has a much slower leveling speed overall.

I doubt players who don't already have 5000 Tomes of Knowledge in their bank anyway to power level anything instantly are the types of players who will utilize such leveling strategies and the question was more about a more natural, possibly new player, leveling experience (which imo core Nec provides one of the worst), at least that was my assumption going into this.

Although even when utilizing such methods, I imagine clumping enemies up with Mallyx and spamming Mace 2 on Rev for example would be faster than core Necro, but I gladly admit that I'm not an expert in non-tome speed leveling.

@Asum.4960 said:I doubt players who don't already have 5000 Tomes of Knowledge in their bank anyway to power level anything instantly are the types of players who will utilize such leveling strategies and the question was more about a more natural, possibly new player, leveling experience (which imo core Nec provides one of the worst), at least that was my assumption going into this.

People can get boosters easy. This leveling method is the most effective way of utilizing boosters.

If it's about "Newbie" leveling experience, then Core Necro is still decent because innate survivability from Shroud, on top of good AoE from Epi/LC (Especially if they make use of the damage over time and run over to other mobs while things are at 80% hp with enough condi's on them to kill them)

Especially given that Power builds don't "One shot" enemies, while leveling. They die pretty fast, but not exceedingly faster than Condi, even more so given how bursty Condi's are these days.

If it's about a "natural leveling" process, then literally every class is the same. Since you're just smashing Hearts which the differences between builds ends up being negligible in overall time spent, especially when so many Hearts use non-combat related objectives.

@Asum.4960 said:Although even when utilizing such methods, I imagine clumping enemies up with Mallyx and spamming Mace 2 on Rev for example would be faster than core Necro, but I gladly admit that I'm not an expert in non-tome speed leveling.

I recently powerleveled a Rev and no, this is not the case.

Rev just gets their butt handed to them 'cause they can't kite properly due to lacking lockdown. That and Call to Anguish, Frigid Blitz and Echoing Eruption are all insta-suicide buttons against high level enemies since they just one shot you if you get in range of them (To power level Rev using this method it's about taking enemies 1 at a time and spamming Banish Enchantment to keep them locked down inside Searing Fissure, which is a pretty horrible leveling experience, even Engie far surpasses Rev for this since Engie just hits enemies with Blowtorch + Glue Shot and moves on or pulls multiple enemies and uses Smoke Bomb + Fire Bomb + Glue Bomb then moves on)

NOTE: I do not recommend using the level 80 booster OR using Tomes and experience scrolls if you have never touched that class at all. Leveling certain classes might be tough, but you lose a lot of experience and knowledge if you skip the leveling. It is always worth the extra time, the defeats and retries. The guides that exist out there help you play the classes properly, gear it and select the right skills and passives. They even tell you when to press what button (= Rotation). But they will not help you understand the WHY behind those actions and decisions.

@"Headhunter.4796" said:Since that is on sale: what's the "most annoying" class to level to 80 and awesome to play at 80?

Mesmer and to some level Revenant. Mostly because they play a lot different from everything you have ever encountered in other RPGs. Mesmer gets a lot eaiser by the time you unlock the first passives. On level 80, with proper gear and an average build you can pretty much dominate everything. Especially large bosses. But in the early stages, you feel like a punching bag.

With Revenant you are bound to the clunky energy-mechanic from level 1. It feels a bit like the good old MP bar, but on this class everything costs MP. You cannot heal it up and rarely get above 50 % in lower levels. The use of Utility skills always feels weird and often results in punishment as your most favorite skills will be blocked due to the lack of energy. Getting a Revenant to level 80 can be tough if you are not used to the energy mechanic. Especially the Elite Specializations are quite powerful and useful in the Endgame.

I myself tried engineer and mesmer, but they are kind of underpowered in open world.

Mesmer, see above.

Engineer is a different chapter. It performs OK in open world, if you play with kits. If you belong to the group of players who ignore them, you will have a very hard time, due to the rather under-powered weapons the Engineer can use. Our kits are quite fun to play, especially the Flamethrower, Grenade-, Bomb- and Motar-kit. Toolkit and Medkit work, but require a little more experience with the game and class to be useful to you.

The other utility skills are there to assist/empower you. Turrets can work as pets/meatshields. Elixirs for buffing. Gadgets for control and mobility.

You can imagine the Engineer in this game as the nerd in the hero-teams in movies and series. What ever situation comes up, the Engineer has a suitable tool. That is also its major weakpoint. The huge variety comes at the cost of power. When fighting larger targets, you need to swap kits a lot and rotate through all kinds of skills to gain average damage output, other classes can reach the same by just mashing a few buttons.

There is however one easy option for the Engineer, the Holosmith. The Path of Fire Elite Specialization that can be unlocked at level 80. It basically plays like a warrior-type class, offensive with great damage and uses the other Engineer abilities only for empowering and utility. If you do not like Engineer in general, this might be an option for you and a reason to use the level 80 boost.

Which class would you have boosted if you had the chance? Perhaps useful for newcomers/ returning players.

That is a completely different question.

Necromancer/Reaper is perfect for open world exploration and farming. It is by far the easiest class we have in the game at the moment with great sustain and good damage. Especially in early stages, it can be useful to have one class that just "works" and can play every content and easily make some money. It makes leveling other characters a lot easier as you do not have to worry about your wallet every time you want to upgrade your gear.

Mesmer, although I have to admit, that it already gets a lot easier around level 31. That is the point where you unlock the first passive/traitline. It has a huge impact on the class and boosts the fun by a lot. I would not boost it higher.

Engineer to access the Holosmith. Seen that a couple of times. People enjoy Holosmith but disdain Engineer.

I used the level 80 boost which came with HoT on a warrior because I find them boring to play, so I doubt I'd ever play one enough to get to level 80 but I wanted one of each profession. I know they're not a bad profession and can actually be quite easy to play at low levels, but my favourites are elementalist, engineer and overly complicated ranger builds which depend on a lot of kiting and positioning. By comparison the warrior just seems overly simplistic and I don't have as much fun playing them. So for me it was the logical choice.

(I've also used tomes/scrolls to instantly level a second engi and ele so I could have one for each elite spec, but I wouldn't have bought a boost for them, I'd have levelled them normally if I didn't have the tomes. But since it was the elite specs I was interested in it made sense to unlock them early.)

@"Headhunter.4796" said:Since that is on sale: what's the "most annoying" class to level to 80 and awesome to play at 80?I myself tried engineer and mesmer, but they are kind of underpowered in open world.Which class would you have boosted if you had the chance? Perhaps useful for newcomers/ returning players.

Revenant would be my #1 pick, since you can't mix/match utilities like you can other classes, and therefore need to unlock 2 full legends before you can get full utility slots, and the only legend that you can really 'camp' is Glint, and that's an elite that can't be unlocked until after everything else. Revs also have good synergy between certain traitlines, so playing without that kinda blows.

Engineer running Flamethrower Kit and Juggernaut can be very effective in levelling - it's just boring as spit to play.