NAME PURGE, its about time...

Corvus.2831

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlock Instead of Purge:Maybe instead of a purge, just unlock the name for use after a period of say 5 years. At that point, if someone tries to use it, just add an "_X" or something to the old character's name and allow the new character to use the original name. That way, the original holder of the name would only lose it if someone else wants to use it.

Give Fair Notice:You certainly don't want to take people by surprise, so I would send reminder emails and account messages stating that your character's names will be subject to change if you don't log in. Send these notices 2 years in advance, then 1 year, 6 months, etc. If a person has at least a couple year's notice, that's more than enough time to simply log in to the account to reset the timer for another 5 years.

Summary:I think it's more than reasonable to expect a person to log in to their account at least once every 5 years to ensure that they keep their names. I had a name-change happen to me in another game that I hadn't played for quite a while. While I was a little disappointed, I wasn't at all surprised. And let's be honest, if a person hasn't touched the game in that long, they're probably only returning for nostalgia reasons anyway, and not to play long-term again.

If your name is taken, put 'Smith' on the end. Or 'From Accounting'. Or a fantasy surname. Or the name you tried to use twice (like Duran Duran, or Mr. Mister).

You can use the names of objects in the game. Go to the Wiki and click 'Random Page' until you see something interesting. I just rolled 'Champion Wurm Loot Box'. I get that would work (if it's not more than, what is it, 15 characters?). Rolled a few more times until I got 'Bowl of Eggplant Stirfry'. I think Eggplant Stirfy is a great name. Or maybe make it 'Eckland Surefire'? Inspiration from all sorts of places. :)

I just use some of my favorite single names I used to use for many years and pair it with a last name. That worked out well for me. My weekly key runner is named 'Matrix Cube Key'. Still think I ought to go to a Fire Elemental event so when someone inevitably asks, I can say: "Matrix Cube Key: Yeah, we're good to go." :#

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:maybe try to use ... names from books and/or movies.

That's part of the "problem" OP seems to be having. Those "special" fantasy names are almost certainly taken by other fans (and then have to get reported for copyright violations).

mixing it up works, i have a character with a league of legends name but changed just a small bit, works like a charm.

I don't see a name purge being needed in this game at all. There are so many possibilities given the fact that you can use more than one word for your name. I always give my characters a first and last name for example and make them unique. And just because someone hasn't played in a while, even 3 years, don't mean they might not return. I myself am a returning player. I played from the first CB up until partway into LS2. I quit for close to 3 years and returned a few months ago. I would not have been happy if I had returned and realized my characters name was now gone.

Maybe there is just a particular name you are wanting and hoping a purge would free it up for you? Regardless, there are literally tons of possibilities and naming characters in this game shouldn't be much of an issue. Other games where only one word names are allowed would make a bit more sense after many, many years of inactivity, but I don't really even agree with that. Many people come and go from mmo's, even years later.

@Willowfalls.9814 said:Unlock Instead of Purge:Maybe instead of a purge, just unlock the name for use after a period of say 5 years. At that point, if someone tries to use it, just add an "_X" or something to the old character's name and allow the new character to use the original name. That way, the original holder of the name would only lose it if someone else wants to use it.

Why don't he people who want the same name everyone else wants just put an _X after it, and solve the issue on their own?

@penelopehannibal.8947 said:

Why don't he people who want the same name everyone else wants just put an _X after it, and solve the issue on their own?

Because that's probably already been done by someone else who wanted the same name in between the first and last person wanting the same name.

well if the name is so important to you, then maybe you need to add a few more X's.. like XxxXxxDrizzitxxXxxX or something?

@Corvus.2831 said:There's literally no names left. You cant make up a pronounceable chain of letters that would not be taken already. Even if you throw your cat on the keyboard half of the time the gibberish will be already taken too.

I do a weekly key farm on two acounts, there are at least 2 names left, as I use them every week.Oh, and the character I created just over a week ago? Got the name I wanted first try. And I don't use any voodoo with my lettering.

What's going on here is you can't get the exact name that you think you have rights to.

If this was a sub based MMO then they would. However it is not and as stated before, they do not want to punish returning players. No matter how long they've been gone. Sucks cause I used to have a unique name and then I stupidly delete that character shortly after launch. Now I lost it forever.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@penelopehannibal.8947 said:

Because that's probably already been done by someone else who wanted the same name in between the first and last person wanting the same name.

well if the name is so important to you, then maybe you need to add a few more X's.. like XxxXxxDrizzitxxXxxX or something?

Well, not important to me. I manage to get my character names without the need of any X's or I's but you're right, let them make many X'd names. Each X representing how many other people thought of their name before them! muahahahaha! :p

There are two types of reasons people have trouble finding a name that isn’t already taken:

• They hate inventing character names.
  • They have imposed a set of requirements that limits the choice of names.

In the first case, the OP’s solution won’t be of much help; they still will hate inventing names. In the second case, I don’t understand why ANet or especially other players need to indulge one player’s personal preference for names.

This topic comes up every so often. ANet's made the same comment multiple times:

• There is no such thing as an "inactive account" -- players might come back at any time. We'd hate for people to return only to find out that we took those from them.
  • Nor does it make sense to release names on banned accounts -- we don't want players to start a new account and avoid some of their punishment by having access to their old names.

That's even without talking about the expense of identifying which accounts would count for a purge or the effort spent explaining to people why they lost their names or fixing mistakes.

Finally, why should ANet do this? The only reason any of us wants these names freed up is if we lack the creativity to create other names. Releasing more names isn't going to make that job easier: it will still be first-come, first-served, so only a few people will benefit from this undertaking.

In short, this is too much work to cater to the minority of players who don't want to work a little harder to figure out how to name their own character(s).

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@Chickenooble.5014 said:We should have a grumpy player purge -- you know, bounce the ones that constantly complain on the forums about not getting their way.

That would be like half of the topics.Like hard bosses, no free mounts, the "orientation" people, etc etc etcAnd? I don't see the problem here...

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@Chickenooble.5014 said:We should have a grumpy player purge -- you know, bounce the ones that constantly complain on the forums about not getting their way.

That would be like half of the topics.Like hard bosses, no free mounts, the "orientation" people, etc etc etcAnd? I don't see the problem here...

But... where would I get my laughs... I need my laughs.

Archived