Give us an update on the expansion for the GW2 anniversary

I prefer to assume they are still brainstorming, writing plot on a dashboard and scratching their heads about new specs names, weapons and icons. Not speaking of mastery...

Through they may give infos about legendary wardrobe, jeweler 500 and the new fractal cm.

In their first announcement (March 12, 2020), they said:"Development is underway on a third Guild Wars 2 expansion. The team is hard at work, and it’s much too soon to talk about any details right now, including features, story, release date, or development timeline. We’ll have to stick to that until we’re ready to reveal more information to the world. When we are ready, you’ll definitely know!"

I'm not sure how far along they might be in just a few months' time. We'll just have to be patient.

To be honest, I do not feel that it is the right time. I feel that a reveal at Christmas as a Wintersday present to us all would be much more appropriate.

Who knows. We will have to wait and see. We must remember ArenaNet's age-old promise during the original development of the game:

It will be ready when it is ready.

@"kharmin.7683" said:In their first announcement (March 12, 2020), they said:"Development is underway on a third Guild Wars 2 expansion. The team is hard at work, and it’s much too soon to talk about any details right now, including features, story, release date, or development timeline. We’ll have to stick to that until we’re ready to reveal more information to the world. When we are ready, you’ll definitely know!"

I'm not sure how far along they might be in just a few months' time. We'll just have to be patient.

Kind of like waiting for alliances.

@"Donutdude.9582" said:It will be ready when it is ready.

There is a lot in the line for the next expansion. The game needs to modernise and attract new players while keeping the current player base (as a whole). The older the game, the harder it gets to do that. The gap between new players and veterans is immense, due to how much time has passed since release. I know, i'm a new player and my guildies are mostly very experienced players, when they do t1 fractals or walk in some farm train/missions it's because of new players.

It's unfathomably hard to balance as many professions/traits/skills as we have in gw2. Even the best of the best, Blizzard, gets it wrong many times in a game with only 3 races and a single game mode (Starcraft, even older than gw2). I'm not even talking about the precise balance required for PvP, which Anet will probably never achieve, given how many races we actually have. Just the basic balance of not having completely broken classes or skills it's hard and require extensive tests.

The consequences of an underwhelming release, it's probably gw2 death and many jobs on the line. On the other hand, with some delays, you may lose some players, but if the expansion is good enough, some of those will be back and buy it anyways (and that's all that matters for the company).

Anet could do way better job keeping the plebs(us), informed about the development so we can speculate endlessly and somewhat keep the interest among veteran players. But i don't expect a rushed out expansion, that would be a potential disaster, i doubt any studio would risk that much unless they are on their last straws and have nothing else to lose. Developing a quality and refined product takes time, that's how it is.

Background: I'm a "dev" irl.

@Fenom.9457 said:That would be about 5 months after announcement, so they could tell some details but I doubt there’s much to show yet. Although since they didn’t ACTULLY confirm Cantha yet they can do that too

One of the devs leading a lunchtime run during lockdown replied to someone asking about the Cantha expansion with

“Who said we’re going to Cantha?”

Jokingly of course

Probably

Way too soon I expect..I doubt we'll hear anything big about the next Expac for a good while yet.. maybe even a year from now before we get a teaser.I expect the expansion to release pretty late in 2021.. maybe early 2022 the earliest.I do expect we'll see something else come between Ice Brood Saga and Expac 3.. maybe another Saga or Living world season.. I dunno.It depends on how long Ice Brood Saga will go on for tbh.. it may end up being significantly longer than any other Living World season hence the reason it was called a Saga rather than Living World Season 5.

Speculation of course but I feel like Cantha is still a long way away yet.. and tbh I hope it is.The longer it's in development for the better.. I don't want another smallish HoT/PoF expansion.. I want Expac 3 to be MASSIVE!! and jam packed full of maps, story and content.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:That would be about 5 months after announcement, so they could tell some details but I doubt there’s much to show yet. Although since they didn’t ACTULLY confirm Cantha yet they can do that too

One of the devs leading a lunchtime run during lockdown replied to someone asking about the Cantha expansion with

Jokingly of course

Probably

Since even the image they posted said shing jea I think it’s practically guaranteed so maybe I’m not too far off huh, the next thing they say about it would be a confirmation that yes it’s Cantha

@Randulf.7614 said:

Jokingly of course

ProbablyThey'd have to be suicidal to suggest Cantha so blatantly and then not deliver. People would bury them. Especially since they didn't really need to say anything about the new expansion location to generate hype. Just a mere mention that an expansion is in the works would have been enough.