Summit1g streaming gw2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tsakhi.8124 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Why are people so invested in forcing ANet fellate a pseudo-celebrity dingus on live stream? Surely it's the
streamer's
job to get/keep people interested, not the other way around.

Because that's marketing which ANet is doing a horrible job at. It's literally free exposure for the game. Whether you like it or not It's the "influencers" that are one of the factors that contribute to product sales in current year. Let's not join ANet's mindset from 15 years ago on this one. Guild Wars 2 could have been bigger if only they got with the times.

So let's glorify someone that says this game sucks because that's
terrific
press. /s Before someone says: Bad press is some kind of press. No, bad press discourages people from playing the game. You know what? Let A-Net deal with their failures and triumphs as a company. That's the only way they'll learn. This game is dying? Fine. Let it die, but at least let it go down on its own terms and not someone else's.

You can literally join the stream and get beginner player experience first hand. Let's hate everybody that criticizes the game sure. Also also It does not matter one bit what we discuss here on forums. ANet will do their job as per usual. People lost their (insert kitten here) cause nobody shows interest in the game outside this community. I don't even watch the guy. But he has right to point out problems with the game from his perspective as anybody else.

@Krzysztof.5973 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Why are people so invested in forcing ANet fellate a pseudo-celebrity dingus on live stream? Surely it's the
streamer's

Because that's marketing which ANet is doing a horrible job at. It's literally free exposure for the game. Whether you like it or not It's the "influencers" that are one of the factors that contribute to product sales in current year. Let's not join ANet's mindset from 15 years ago on this one. Guild Wars 2 could have been bigger if only they got with the times.

terrific
press. /s Before someone says: Bad press is some kind of press. No, bad press discourages people from playing the game. You know what? Let A-Net deal with their failures and triumphs as a company. That's the only way they'll learn. This game is dying? Fine. Let it die, but at least let it go down on its own terms and not someone else's.

You can literally join the stream and get beginner player experience first hand. Let's hate everybody that criticizes the game sure. Also also It does not matter one bit what we discuss here on forums. ANet will do their job as per usual. People lost their (insert kitten here) cause nobody shows interest in the game outside this community. I don't even watch the guy. But he has right to point out problems with the game from his perspective as anybody else.

I'm not hating on him because he's not good at the game and doesn't like it, I'm hating on him because he acted like a spoiled little brat about things, despite people saying "warrior isn't the best for PVP" and him saying that all the other classes are crap. I was against this whole advertising on the forum kefluffle for just this reason.

@"Tsakhi.8124" said:I'm not hating on him because he's not good at the game and doesn't like it, I'm hating on him because he acted like a spoiled little brat about things, despite people saying "warrior isn't the best for PVP" and him saying that all the other classes are kitten. I was against this whole advertising on the forum kefluffle for just this reason.

Just approach it the same way as:

This game is dying? Fine. Let it die, but at least let it go down on its own terms and not someone else's.

If this turns into advertisement of his own stream then don't watch it - who cares? Let his stream die from streaming GW2.

I know I will not watch him. I don't care to watch PvP scene in this game no matter who streams it. Some might enjoy it so let them have fun. I don't see how that would annoy me.

@Krzysztof.5973 said:

@"Tsakhi.8124" said:I'm not hating on him because he's not good at the game and doesn't like it, I'm hating on him because he acted like a spoiled little brat about things, despite people saying "warrior isn't the best for PVP" and him saying that all the other classes are kitten. I was against this whole advertising on the forum kefluffle for just this reason.

Just approach it the same way as:

This game is dying? Fine. Let it die, but at least let it go down on its own terms and not someone else's.

If this turns into advertisement of his own stream then don't watch it - who cares? Let his stream die from streaming GW2.

I know I will not watch him. I don't care to watch PvP scene in this game no matter who streams it. Some might enjoy it so let them have fun. I don't see how that would annoy me.

Hey, fair enough for me! I definitely appreciate a different point of view regarding things such as this.

@Tsakhi.8124 said:

streamer's

terrific

I'm not hating on him because he's not good at the game and doesn't like it, I'm hating on him because he acted like a spoiled little brat about things, despite people saying "warrior isn't the best for PVP" and him saying that all the other classes are kitten. I was against this whole advertising on the forum kefluffle for just this reason.

I have a different perspective regarding Summit1g's swift departure from Guild Wars 2.

I think he was pretty honest about how he felt. He was surprisingly emotional on stream and seemed disappointed in himself. He saw what it would take to compete in GW2 and knew that he neither had the drive (MMO combat is not really his style) nor the time (as a variety streamer) to devote himself to this game. Realistically, he would have just tortured himself trying to improve only to give up and move on because this isn't just for enjoyment. It's how he makes his money.

I understand it. I used to play counter-strike back in the 5.1/source days. It was a great game for its time and I put some hours in on it. However, I will never be anything better than average at FPS games. I enjoy them and I will put in time on them, but I just don't improve very quickly with practice. For whatever reason, MMO combat is better for me. I feel like I play a pretty mean Weaver! Maybe not "Summit1g-in-his-element: Counter-Strike" level, but I'm not bad!

Even so, I tried weaver several times since PoF release and it didn't click for me until this year. How invested would I have to be if MMO combat wasn't my style? Too long to practically consider, even though I enjoy FPS games. I will burn out long before I become truly competitive in that sphere, if it's even possible for me.

Going try-hard on games you enjoy, but aren't really very good at is unrewarding. Even moreso if you know all you're going to do is frustrate yourself in the process and ultimately be unable to get where you want to be as a competitor due to practical considerations (time/money), regardless of whether you have the potential to be great. I get it. That seems like a perfectly reasonable stance to take. As ragequitting goes I think he handled it pretty well.

In any event, I didn't know who Summit1g was before he came to GW2. It was actually pretty cool to watch a brand new player (who happens to be a pro in other formats!) learn and struggle with our so-called "casual" MMO. I wish he would have stayed longer. Summit1g vs. the Heart of Thorns might have been interesting, but realistically it wouldn't have happened for the same reasons Summit1g playing a full ranked season of PvP wouldn't have happened.

He's getting better and his friends seem to enjoy other aspects of the game so he's probably going to keep playing. Because of him other streamers like teapot are seeing double the viewerships. So like it or not, he's getting people interested in GW2. Honestly devs should take note how confusing the game can be for brand new players jumping into pvp, and make improvements if they care to grow the game.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

@Uridian.8394 said:To those people putting down ppl watching streams and would say quit being so 2000 and get to the 2020 my dudes... This is the new form of media that will only continue to grow when all others decline....

What a low standard of entertainment the 2020s has set for itself my dude.

I think that Low standard as you call it started in the 2000s with reality TV shows. Many people will tune into a Twitch stream to view gameplay of a game before investing money into to the game. That how I first started watching streams. People regularly do it now to learn how to do things in the game. But it has evolved into much more than that because you can interact with the streamer which make it real time and different than a YouTube video. Yes Amazon has a gold mine..... in more ways than one.... even though you may not participate you are now having a conversation about it only increasing people’s awareness of it. Snowball Effect in action.........

@"Dondarrion.2748" said:... when he does rotate and follow his team he does actually do ok and manages to damage / kill, but it's very evident he's got a lot to learn in pvp still. Sadly, he's on day 4 and already annoyed, so I doubt he'll stay for a long time.

He seems like a 'prima donna'.

LOL at Day 4 - "this game sucks"Promises to be another laughable Reddit saga.

@Uridian.8394 said:

@Uridian.8394 said:To those people putting down ppl watching streams and would say quit being so 2000 and get to the 2020 my dudes... This is the new form of media that will only continue to grow when all others decline....

What a low standard of entertainment the 2020s has set for itself my dude.

I think that Low standard as you call it started in the 2000s with reality TV shows. Many people will tune into a Twitch stream to view gameplay of a game before investing money into to the game. That how I first started watching streams. People regularly do it now to learn how to do things in the game. But it has evolved into much more than that because you can interact with the streamer which make it real time and different than a YouTube video. Yes Amazon has a gold mine..... in more ways than one.... even though you may not participate you are now having a conversation about it only increasing people’s awareness of it. Snowball Effect in action.........

Reality TV is the landfill of broadcast media. I'm not sure what that makes Twitch streaming. Also, I think we have different understandings of what snowball effect means.

@Uridian.8394 said:So I am an ESO player. I was very aware of who Summit1g was but rairly watched his stream. I enjoyed his streams in ESO and followed him and continued to watch his Streams for GW2. I played GW2 regularly about 3 years ago. I have since DL GW2 and am looking forward to giving it another go. I say this to let you see the impact a popular stream can have on a MMO community.

I believe he is very aware of the new followers and subscribers he is picking up by game hopping. He will go back to his FPS games with 20k more followers and hundreds if not thousands of new subscribers. His views will go back up to 30k a night and he will be much better off for it.

I say this to point out a couple things:

1) Summit will benefit from it2) ESO will benefit from it3) GW2 will benefit from it

To those people putting down ppl watching streams and would say quit being so 2000 and get to the 2020 my dudes. When summit streams and has 30K viewers that means that around 70 to 80k viewers have prob come in and out of his stream over 9 hrs of streaming. This is the new form of media that will only continue to grow when all others decline....

Sorry no thanks. If I have time to watch something it will be a movie or show. Online games were made to be played. I am a child of the 80's who hates having to wait his turn for the NES controller. More power to him if that many people watch him. I just cannot sit down and watch someone else game. I need to play!

@gavyne.6847 said:He's getting better and his friends seem to enjoy other aspects of the game so he's probably going to keep playing. Because of him other streamers like teapot are seeing double the viewerships. So like it or not, he's getting people interested in GW2. Honestly devs should take note how confusing the game can be for brand new players jumping into pvp, and make improvements if they care to grow the game.

I agree 100 percent that this game is not new player friendly.

I've only ever been a casual watcher of Summit's streams. His personality is not really my cup of tea to just watch him for him, but when he streams a game I enjoy I like to see how he picks it up. I feel a lot of his complaints are in fact legitimate when it comes to AoE's and conditions in this game. I know it's frustrating to me to see him complain about stuff because he hasn't taken the time to fully read abilities, but I understand that this is not his typical kind of game and he needs to keep the pace going for his audience or tank his viewership even more. And when you know people will donate to you to tell you stuff, it is even more in your benefit to just glance at stuff and go. In a way though, this also shows how unintuitive some mechanics and abilities are when you can't pick them up on the fly. Not saying its a bad thing, just that it highlights the type of game that GW2 is for the viewer so they can decide if that's something they want or not before they play.

All in all I think the larger GW2 community in-game has been happy to have a streamer like Summit shine a light on their favorite game and like him or hate him, Summit has brought some much needed, and in my opinion deserved, advertisement to the game.

I tuned in last night. He went to HoT and got very frustrated trying to find his way around. This is more or less what I expected, given his decided lack of patience! But he joined an HP train. This was interesting because it's not really something you see in other MMOs, and Summit seemed to appreciate that.

People who don't play GW2 were tuning in to ask "What's going on here?" Is it a raid? Why are there so many people following this tag around open world? I'm not sure if he got a chance to do any of the HoT metas, but that's a pretty cool thing to see as well. I feel like nothing even remotely like this ever happened in open world play in WoW. I'm not sure how many other MMOs have this sort of thing going on. So, it was interesting to see Summit's reaction to it and that of his followers who have never played GW2 before.

For some reason Google thought I might be interested in this stream.I couldn't bare to watch more than about 30 seconds.It was some of the most cringe worthy, buttock clenchingly awful material I have ever seen.How he makes a living off this is utterly beyond me.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Dondarrion.2748" said:Happened to tune in just to hear some of his thoughts on the game as he continue to level up, and was greeted by 'this game is just awful'... He's on day 4, he's playing unranked with a premade of 4 players and complaining he gets "stream sniped" and destroyed when he repeatedly goes 1v2... this has nothing to do with facing "pvp gods" on the other team, when he does rotate and follow his team he does actually do ok and manages to damage / kill, but it's very evident he's got a lot to learn in pvp still. Sadly, he's on day 4 and already annoyed, so I doubt he'll stay for a long time. Probably be back in ESO in an hour or so... Was nice with the extra publicity he brought for a few days though ;)

Anyhow, he's getting so angry after a long, tiring stream he suddenly disables chat for anyone but his subscribers because he's getting called out on calling the game awful when it's just him learning and not being able to take a few losses.

Hilarious. Sounds like PvP streamers in general. Comedy gold!

Sure, Doesn't change the fact that a great opportunity is gone to promote the game.

Now I could bad mouth the spvp scene as much as I want (if I wanted to), or the fact that this game mode has once again damaged the game overall (one could argue). Still the net result remains the same: the game has come and gone on the twitch charts, and any possibility of wider spread appeal or media coverage with it.

What this entire Summit1g situation has uncovered though is simple: the game has issues being fun to new players, especially in the competitive modes. So any time in the future when someone comes along again going:"Oh, we need to focus GW2 more on Spvp." I'll just respond with:" Sorry m8. Just not fun or attractive to new players. We are going to go with the stuff that actually makes us money."

Tbh he wouldn't have tried if their was no pvp. So it is still a net positive to the game. Catering to a wide array of interests

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@"Yggranya.5201" said:I still don't know why streamers are popular anyway. Why does anyone want to watch someone else play?

I mean you could make the same argument about sports and that's massive world wide.

Because athleticism is hardwired into our DNA, there's an intuitive desire in people to be active or to admire those who are. Even if you don't think so, there's hundreds of thousands of years of selecting for the people most likely to be able to hunt, fight and survive acting against you.

Watching some pastey little man babies punch their soon to be arthritic fingers onto some plastic keys? Not so much.

You're here on the forums for a video game, it seems disrespectful and hypocritical to try and "shame" your fellow gamers for being able to have the ability, and luck, to be able to live their lives and support themselves with something they love doing and have given quite a bit to people with their platform and many have worked hard to get to where they are. 2018 saw streamers provide $20+ million to charities in donations.

Dislike it all you want, maybe it isn't your thing to watch them, it doesn't need to be and thats fine, but don't insult them. Thats just rude.

People are hard wired to be attracted to those who are physically fit. That's a fact. Sorry. Folk who are attracted to those with an overweight or obese, or weak / noodly stature are in the minority. My sources? Just go browse your favourite prawn site. Also evolution.

By the way, all these gamers absolutely will knacker their hands too, it has happened to every, single, MOBA player I know IRL - it's the mad clicking that does it. I narrowly avoided carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand for the same reason.

Hit the gym kids, or if you don't like all the sweaty posturing, do the proper thing and get into outdoor sports or martial arts or yoga or something. Just don't spend your lives indoors racking up views on your stream, it'll rekt your body.

That is beyond the point, man. It isn't about whether or not your statements are true, of course carpal tunnel will happen and other things, but you essentially just attempted to insult people who put a lot of hours into something they are passionate about, work hard to do, and it is their job so it means they can pay their bills. There are physical complications and injuries that can occur with almost anything that you do, even painting can cause ailments both from exposure to paint fumes as well as the constant motion of their arms, wrist, elbows, etc. Physical injury is also still very plausible when participating in physical sports. There is always something.

Also...if you think all streamers, or most, are somehow overweight or obese or weak because of the amount of time they spend doing their job you are very, very, very wrong. Go google Bajheera, google DrDisrespect, google plenty of streamers names I could just continue listing off here.

You're assigning your assumptions based around an old, outdated stigma and stereotype of gamers. Its not helpful.