Can you add PvP aspects in the open world in the new expansion ?

@"Edge.8724" said:Finally we could get something more toxic than SPvP!

Hah! I'm sure all PvE people have been just waiting for that to happen. You wouldn't believe the "excitement" announcement like that would create.

@"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:Why are you people getting soooo heated over something that's not even gonna happen anyways I don't get it lol!!???! This post is already 4 pages long and NO admin bother to answer anything because it's clearly NOT gonna happen ok! Some people on this forum needs to take chill pills seriously lol. The negativity is crazzzyyyy

Also what's up with against changes anyways? I never seen any crowds that's so against any changes or updates it's like you guys don't need new content and you want to just play the same thing over and over and you're satisfied lol! In that case I think offline games are best for you all because you can be certain there won't be any updates or changes to destroy your fantastic game experience. Sorry if I'm too direct but the amount of people attacking OP is just ridiculous! If this is not cyber bully I don't know what is.

"Don’t just argue for the sake of arguing, I don’t have time for trolls!" Take that as you will.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Why are you people getting soooo heated over something that's not even gonna happen anyways I don't get it lol!!???! This post is already 4 pages long and NO admin bother to answer anything because it's clearly NOT gonna happen ok! Some people on this forum needs to take chill pills seriously lol. The negativity is crazzzyyyyThere was a time when community thought the same about the introduction of raids. I also kind of remember thinking the same about people asking for new gear tiers in the first month of the game. And about the mount threads. In all 3 cases the joke was on me, though. And while out of those 3 things mounts actually ended up done way better than i feared, they still brought with them a number of negatives i expected (like lowered amount of waypoints on new maps) and some i didn't see coming (like triggering a truly horrific change to gemshop monetization models).

Also what's up with against changes anyways? I never seen any crowds that's so against any changes or updates it's like you guys don't need new content and you want to just play the same thing over and over and you're satisfied lol!It's not about changes. It's about those specific changes. Some are just plain bad - and this one is definitely in that category. Remember, a change can be for the better, but it also can be for the worse. One should be wise enough to not think that there's no difference between those two.

I could see Open World pvpish things happening here. Not dead on pvp mind you, but in the form of 2 competing events and in the form of dueling.Competing events: Similar mission in GW1....in factions where two groups start off split, run through different events meeting in the middle, feeling like a race. Many meta events already in play have many lanes....even triple-trouble. Tweak that mindset to actual competition.

Dueling: I have zero problem implementing this in an actual player to player combat system because it already exist in the open world....in costume battles. What. did we all forget that that was there?

Otherwise....there are tiny flashes here and there of open world pvp...one I experienced...probably 2 days ago. It came after a failed Drakkar event. I actually never even heard that this could happen where the area becomes a free for all. Never heard anyone speak of this, guild or otherwise.....I just didn't know it could happen. I believe something like this happened in HoT also, (I could be wrong) with Sylvari players.

Further... open world pvp, I'm fine with where it is....in a mode of it's own. An entire mode. Entire. I do however wish the maps were more like the open world maps.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@"Edge.8724" said:Finally we could get something more toxic than SPvP!

Hah! I'm sure all PvE people have been just waiting for that to happen. You wouldn't believe the "excitement" announcement like that would create.

@"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:Why are you people getting soooo heated over something that's not even gonna happen anyways I don't get it lol!!???! This post is already 4 pages long and NO admin bother to answer anything because it's clearly NOT gonna happen ok! Some people on this forum needs to take chill pills seriously lol. The negativity is crazzzyyyy

Also what's up with against changes anyways? I never seen any crowds that's so against any changes or updates it's like you guys don't need new content and you want to just play the same thing over and over and you're satisfied lol! In that case I think offline games are best for you all because you can be certain there won't be any updates or changes to destroy your fantastic game experience. Sorry if I'm too direct but the amount of people attacking OP is just ridiculous! If this is not cyber bully I don't know what is.

"Don’t just argue for the sake of arguing, I don’t have time for trolls!" Take that as you will.

To be completely honest though, here's my serious opinion;

I wouldn't really mind but at the same time I won't really like if anybody, anytime can just randomly fight me. A bit like invasions works in dark souls, someone just decides to kill you. But the counter to it is to put your game in offline. In GW2, I can't do that. If there are "teams" or specific places, I can't be bothered as long as I can chose to stay neutral and enjoy my coop pve experience.

I play sometimes in sPvP, but fighting online against another human beeign is raising my stress level beyond the sky for some reason.

Wheither it gets added, I will be happy for those that wants it, but for me, I would be happy if it's not forced to me in everywhere in open world.

Are you talking about a new region where everyone is free for all? I don't think I would go there, but for everyone that wants it, go for it.

@Gzas.3906 said:I totally support that idea. This is too bad not to have some open world pvp. WvW is so boring with almost no big changes over the 8 years. We need something new pvp wise.

Then I suggest that you advocate for change in the modes that already support player versus player gaming. Engage Anet and demand changes to WvW or PvP. This would be far more likely to succeed than asking for Anet to incorporate something new into open world PvE, especially when those other modes already exist.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:I think it will be easier just to have a pvp server where players can pk other players in open world just because they feel like it Instead of doing faction pvp…

I played a game where there was PVP and PVE servers. After a time, PVP servers were merged together because there were not enough players on them. When I left that game for GW2, there were talks of closing the last PvP server and to merge it with a PVE server.

PVP and WVW players frequently complain there is not enough people playing those game modes, and opening a open world PVP server would not help that. It would only spread a small player population even thinner than it is now.

You'll need to be more specific with what game you're referring to. Which game is
a game
???Any game could have server merging if it's a dying unpopular game.Or if the game is P2W so people lose interest in PVP aspect very fast because majority of the people just can't keep up with the payment to be top PVP players.(But I don't see that happening in GW2 because everyone pretty much use same level of armor anyways so it's more about who's got better skills)

Here is a few reasons people complain about PVP and WVW for not having enough players:
  1. Mechanics sucks there is not PURE PVP in this game whatsoever, it is constantly chasing points in PVP.
  2. People complain about WvW because it gets old. You can't do much by yourself because you can't capture castle or whatever by yourself that's why having a normal map that doesn't focus on capturing castle or camps would be very nice. (lets not even talk about stupid participation points because you can potentially be fighting someone and lose all that because you're not killing some guard or getting camps)

Having a PVE map that can also PVP would open up more excitement for this game because people can do PVE while they do PVP and not worry about some points being ticked down while they're just farming monsters or harvest whatever material they need.

I'm assuming you don't participate enough PVP content in any game so you don't know the difference?People in this game are soooo afraid of changes and they're so content with what they have it's so hilarious.This game doesn't need updates or new patches because people on this forum are afraid of NEW stuff and changes lololololol

SWToR. I think it here are other there MMOS that went through that phase. There is a reason most MMOs no longer have open world PvP. It does not work.

I said this earlier in this thread, what you are requesting is WvW without WvW balances and stats. Why do you want to have none competitive PvP? I am top 5-10% pvper, by skill level. What makes you think I want to PvP while farming mobs?! I know where PvP occurs. I go there when I want to PvP.

@kharmin.7683 said:That is not what the OP is asking for. Hey, if Anet wants to create a new, limited PvP map that is accessed from the existing PvP mode, then that's fine with me. That's not what the OP wants.

And yet all your arguments always take the stance that it is PvP intruding on PvE turf. But this would be something new; not PvP game mode nor PvE mode having its map changed to PvP ruleset.

Try to think outside of current confines of the game and maybe let the developers come up with a map sort of like Drizzlewood Coast or the likes which pits players against each other as a dynamic, interesting way to sway the story. Not to a massive degree or one that will halt either faction, I'll leave that up to the great developers to tinker with.

@Dondarrion.2748 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:That is not what the OP is asking for. Hey, if Anet wants to create a new, limited PvP map that is accessed from the existing PvP mode, then that's fine with me. That's not what the OP wants.

And yet all your arguments always take the stance that it is PvP intruding on PvE turf. But this would be something new; not PvP game mode nor PvE mode having its map changed to PvP ruleset.

Try to think outside of current confines of the game and maybe let the developers come up with a map sort of like Drizzlewood Coast or the likes which pits players against each other as a dynamic, interesting way to sway the story. Not to a massive degree or one that will halt either faction, I'll leave that up to the great developers to tinker with.I'm all for Anet adding more content for WvW or PvP. I read all of the complaints about how new content is sorely needed in those modes. I just don't believe it wise to add this type of content into areas not originally designed for it. Many PvE players do not want PvP in open world and I believe that Anet made a good decision to separate those game modes from the start.

Also, I don't believe that adding PvP to open world will not help the PvP community.

@Dondarrion.2748 said:

Try to think outside of current confines of the game and maybe let the developers come up with a map sort of like Drizzlewood Coast or the likes which pits players against each other as a dynamic, interesting way to sway the story. Not to a massive degree or one that will halt either faction, I'll leave that up to the great developers to tinker with.

The devs want players to use wvw and spvp. Use them if y’all want to fight other players.

i honestly think thats a good idea, even though that will never happen, to make something similar to wow.But this is a casual game and anet wants to keep it like that and since the majority of the playerbase is a bunch of pretty little flowers, that play fashion/farm/inventory wars 2, the revolt would be massive. i mean the toxic PVE players would go berserk

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Why are you people getting soooo heated over something that's not even gonna happen anyways I don't get it lol!!???! This post is already 4 pages long and NO admin bother to answer anything because it's clearly NOT gonna happen ok! S

Actaully ... Anet not answering here isn't an indication this 'clearly' not gonna happen. Adding PVP to a PVE map brings excitement ... for PVPers, NOT PVEers. There are other ways to make PVPer's 'excited' in a game ... trashing OW PVE with PVP machismo isn't a good one.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Dondarrion.2748 said:Try to think outside of current confines of the game and maybe let the developers come up with a map sort of like Drizzlewood Coast or the likes which pits players against each other as a dynamic, interesting way to sway the story. Not to a massive degree or one that will halt either faction, I'll leave that up to the great developers to tinker with.

The devs want players to use wvw and spvp. Use them if y’all want to fight other players.

Again the same circle jerking... you are putting words in the devs' mouths. Another xpac with just more of the same is going to get old VERY quickly...

Rest assured, the new xpac will have countless PvE zones and story and stuff unaffected by PvP elements. WvW and PvP will likely get nothing new.

OP is asking for maybe one zone or map that will expand on what's been done in Drizzlewood Coast and take in some WvW elements to pit players against each other, if it makes sense for story, etc. Like a Competitive Mission from GW1. It doesn't need to be a map where you will have players run around wanting to do solely PvE stuff, because they will be on a mission, and the other faction is the enemy and you have to group up with your side to solve your objectives. There won't be ganking and all the sorts of PvP trolling, people always expect when they see the words open world and PvP together. Because if you die or lose an objective, the other side succeed in a sub goal of their mission, etc.

If we only settle for what's already in the game and not try to ask the developers to surprise us with something new and exciting, we might as well kill off GW2 right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm mainly PvE and then PvP - 70/30 split - and I'm really excited to go back to Cantha with the next xpac, but I also want the devs to push themselves to come up with something cool.

@"Dondarrion.2748" Am I putting words in the devs mouths?

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:“I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.”

@Dondarrion.2748 said:OP is asking for maybe one zone or mapThe OP edited his post from when he originally posted. In the original, it was clear that he wanted open world PvP

that will expand on what's been done in Drizzlewood Coast and take in some WvW elements to pit players against each other, if it makes sense for story, etc. Like a Competitive Mission from GW1.I'm not sure how this would make sense for the story unless there would be some radical changes to it.

It doesn't need to be a map where you will have players run around wanting to do solely PvE stuff, because they will be on a mission, and the other faction is the enemy and you have to group up with your side to solve your objectives.Isn't this what WvW is like?

There won't be ganking and all the sorts of PvP trolling, people always expect when they see the words open world and PvP together. Because if you die or lose an objective, the other side succeed in a sub goal of their mission, etc.You have way more faith in this statement than I have. ;)

If we only settle for what's already in the game and not try to ask the developers to surprise us with something new and exciting, we might as well kill off GW2 right now.Again, I am all for adding content for WvW and/or PvP if the metrics (re: population) shows that to be a profitable investment.

You are never 100% safe from harrassment. The only thing that matters is that you have tools to resolve harrrassment.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that, I'm not as stupid or naive as you think. Tools to resolve harassment are always welcome. As you quite rightly say, no=one is ever 100% safe from harassment. But the less I have to use those tools, the more time I can spend actually playing the game. I don't mind the PVP game mode, and have indulged in it a little myself when I'm in the mood, but introducing it into open world PVE invites that toxic side of PVP behaviour into a game mode that currently doesn't host it. You'll never convince me that opening up new opportunities for griefing and harassment is a good idea!

Everyone is so focused on dueling as the source of harrassment. Unless it is the ONLY source of harrassment (its not!) then your focus should be on strengthening support and reporting tools, not shooting down suggestions for options you're not interested in.

No, players focus on it as A source of harassment, not THE source. Which begs the question - if your estimate is accurate, then WHY is 'everyone' focussed on it? Could it possibly be because of all the forms of harassment, persistent duel requests are among those forms of harassment that players find the most irritating?

The thought of being subjected to the duelling or PVP of others when I'm not actively involved myself - ('passive PVPing'?) just doesn't butter my parsnips at all. It doesn't make a good spectator sport IMHO, and I really don't want to have to play around/through or alongside it.

If you really can't live without open world PVP, then I have nothing against them providing the option for you to join a completely separate server where you can grief, gank and harass each other to your hearts' content. Just don't bring PVE/PVP to the servers I play on because I prefer things just the way they are.

1. We are not dumb here. OP can not fool anyone.The only reason behind all this chatter is originally "allow me to kill, teabag and humiliate pve casuals and / or those who are weaker than me"Like it is in all open pvp MMOs. Especially asian ones.

2. I dont get the point of such threads.Doesnt matter how much you want to safely destroy pve casuals, you understand that this shall never ever happen.You understand most of playerbase are pve casuals who will abandon the game immediately if anet introduces open pvp.It would be a total financial failure

3. The idea of competitive rewards in PVE "reward tracks" is really cool, i think.We can farm PVE dungeon tokens in PVP / WVW, but there is no way to get some cool competitive skins for PVE-only players

4. Also i would totally vote for entire fresh content to competitive modes.I have gained only about 160 rank in wvw and it already feels endless self-repetitive running around the same maps just for rewards and dailies

@"kharmin.7683" said:The OP edited his post from when he originally posted. In the original, it was clear that he wanted open world PvP

Please don't lie to people. Here is a picture of someone quoting me from the same day I posted the comment. I tried to find something that I've changed and there were none. The edit may be some spelling mistake or comma.

Imgur

@"Helen.3746" said:

You are never 100% safe from harrassment. The only thing that matters is that you have tools to resolve harrrassment.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that, I'm not as stupid or naive as you think. Tools to resolve harassment are always welcome. As you quite rightly say, no=one is ever 100% safe from harassment. But the less I have to use those tools, the more time I can spend actually playing the game. I don't mind the PVP game mode, and have indulged in it a little myself when I'm in the mood, but introducing it into open world PVE invites that toxic side of PVP behaviour into a game mode that currently doesn't host it. You'll never convince me that opening up new opportunities for griefing and harassment is a good idea!

Everyone is so focused on dueling as the source of harrassment. Unless it is the ONLY source of harrassment (its not!) then your focus should be on strengthening support and reporting tools, not shooting down suggestions for options you're not interested in.

No, players focus on it as A source of harassment, not THE source. Which begs the question - if your estimate is accurate, then WHY is 'everyone' focussed on it? Could it possibly be because of all the forms of harassment, persistent duel requests are among those forms of harassment that players find the most irritating?

The thought of being subjected to the duelling or PVP of others when I'm not actively involved myself - ('passive PVPing'?) just doesn't butter my parsnips at all. It doesn't make a good spectator sport IMHO, and I really don't want to have to play around/through or alongside it.

If you really can't live without open world PVP, then I have nothing against them providing the option for you to join a completely separate server where you can grief, gank and harass each other to your hearts' content. Just don't bring PVE/PVP to the servers I play on because I prefer things just the way they are.

My point is, you are conflating two separate things. If someone is spamming you with duel flags, that is not dueling that is harassment. If someone is trash talking because they won a duel, that is not dueling that is harassment. I've seen newer MMOs provide an opt-in feature for dueling which is think is a great way to mitigate any concerns about dueling in the open world. One of the selling points of GW2 is the vast and varied open world and i think being able to duel (with consent) in those areas would add a lot.

What you have expressed is a fear of change. What you are saying is that you have accepted the current level of griefing and harrassment in the game and any extra features added should be evaluated solely on a basis of "how can this be used for harrassment" and not "what does this add for players."

Should no new raids or new instances be added to the game, because that creates new vehicles for harassment? Or do we add them because it creates new opportunities for players, knowing that there are tools to resolve harassment that comes as a natural risk of playing multiplayer games.

I sat braindead for a half an hour waiting for the worm event with 100 other people and was reminded of how back in my WoW days this time would be passed by dueling with strangers and potentially making friends.

I don't appreciate your implication that I would prefer a separate server so i can "grief, gank, and harrass" when i just want to duel other players with their consent. You have proven my point that you don't need pvp to be toxic. Thankfully, the game provides me with tools to report your toxic implications and i don't need to advocate for a removal of the forums as a gateway to harrassment.

@"Scrambles.2604" said:My point is, you are conflating two separate things. If someone is spamming you with duel flags, that is not dueling that is harassment. If someone is trash talking because they won a duel, that is not dueling that is harassment. I've seen newer MMOs provide an opt-in feature for dueling which is think is a great way to mitigate any concerns about dueling in the open world. One of the selling points of GW2 is the vast and varied open world and i think being able to duel (with consent) in those areas would add a lot.

You're welcome to that opinion. Mine is that it would add elements that many players don't want. If one of the selling points for GW2 is open world, then it is probably as the developers intended and that is without player duels. Fortunately, for those who wish to duel, there are areas already established for that type of game play.

What you have expressed is a fear of change. What you are saying is that you have accepted the current level of griefing and harrassment in the game and any extra features added should be evaluated solely on a basis of "how can this be used for harrassment" and not "what does this add for players."It's not necessarily a fear of change. The change isn't necessary. There already exists places in GW2 for dueling.

Should no new raids or new instances be added to the game, because that creates new vehicles for harassment? Or do we add them because it creates new opportunities for players, knowing that there are tools to resolve harassment that comes as a natural risk of playing multiplayer games.

Raids and other "new instances" are just that... instances. They have no effect or bearing on Open World PvE. Again, zones already exist outside of OWPvE for dueling.

I sat braindead for a half an hour waiting for the worm event with 100 other people and was reminded of how back in my WoW days this time would be passed by dueling with strangers and potentially making friends.Sitting braindead for 30 minutes for an event that's on a set timer is on you. You could have spent that time in WvW or PvP and then hopped back in time for the event.

Now, if the larger problem is lack of attention to PvP or WvW, then I would probably agree with you. In my opinion, players who want dueling should advocate for changes and/or improvements in the areas that already have it and not try to force this style of play into areas not designed for it.