Preorder Expansion: End of Dragon

Roche.7491

I honestly don't care about the pre-order bonuses. The only game that I ever pre-ordered had practically no bonuses but I bought it because I knew for certain that I was going to play it with another friend when it released. I'm more interested in what features the expansion will have in deciding whether to pre-order it or buy it after release.

@jokke.6239 said:Mostly I agree, but for GW2, why not?You know you're going to get it anyway, even if it sucks.At least most people who are invested in the game will

im not sure if it's the same for you but for me it's a special MMORPG-thing when it comes to pre-purchasing. like if it's an MMORPG im currently/already invested at, once an expansion or content pack is available, i usually pre-purchase (if applicable) since i know im going to get it anyway. did it for FF14's Heavensward and Stormblood for example. so i'll likely be pre-purchasing EoD the minute it becomes available for pre-purchase

but i never do it for any other AAA or indie game (from other genres) that offers pre-release/kickstarter/early access packs (this includes unreleased MMOs). i always wait for a week to a month after launch where there's enough reviews to justify purchasing it or if not, wait for a sale if im interested but can bother to wait.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I, often, like the extra 'goodies' that come with pre-orders. If I'm going to purchase the product anyway, why not get some extras?

There is a difference when you get "paid" for purchasing something before it have been published and also have time to read reviews before deciding to buy it or just jump into the water where you get only the base version (w/o any extra features or "goodies").

@jokke.6239 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Never preorder. Anything. Why would you buy a product that doesn't exist?

Mostly I agree, but for GW2, why not?You know you're going to get it anyway, even if it sucks.At least most people who are invested in the game will

If you sooner or later need to go those places and need expansion to get access, then there isn't much to talk about. You will probably be better off any buy it while you get your extra features (as pre-purchase often adds some extra things). In Europe there is law that make it possible to ask for a refund within a certain time limit, so in one way it is safer if one finds out that pre-purchase isn't worth it and just want money back. (Best to buy expansion through ANets own services then external sites/shops in case one wants a refund.)

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I, often, like the extra 'goodies' that come with pre-orders. If I'm going to purchase the product anyway, why not get some extras?

There is a difference when you get "paid" for purchasing something before it have been published and also have time to read reviews before deciding to buy it or just jump into the water where you get only the base version (w/o any extra features or "goodies").

What's that got to do with pre-ordering Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons?

@Fenom.9457 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Never preorder. Anything. Why would you buy a product that doesn't exist?

Because often it you don’t, you’ll never get it. It sells out too fast. This is something I encounter constantly with collecting hobbies. Obviously a digital expansion will never sell out, but to answer your question in general

If they can't make enough for everyone who wants to buy it, then they don't deserve your money. (It's called "artificial scarcity". They're using the illusion of rarity, preying on the FOMO phenomenon, to make you want the useless crap they're peddling and dramatically inflate the price.)

None of this applies to video games, since there are no longer physical copies.

@jokke.6239 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Never preorder. Anything. Why would you buy a product that doesn't exist?

Mostly I agree, but for GW2, why not?You know you're going to get it anyway, even if it sucks.At least most people who are invested in the game will

People will do what people do. Boycott and protest are utterly meaningless to the hypocritical public, who enjoy being tricked and abused time and time again; who sacrifice themselves to grow the wealth of the wealthy.

Even if I am going to buy it, if I can tip Day 1 sales to outpace the preorder sales, then NCSoft might actually reevaluate garbage like this. With luck, they'll just put the things they make into the game, rather than deliberately removing it and and calling it "bonus".

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Releasedate: when it is ready.Arenanet has reorganised and changed the development pace so often it is hard to say how and when the current season will end and when sale start for the next x-pac. There is nothing to go on as a pattern and things has changed a lot at the studio since the last x-pac release as well.

I would not expect too much of a pre order bonus. Most likely a miniature, a title and a weaponskin you can get anyways.

As for the digital deluxe version I would expect an exclusive trading hub, an outfit, a few boosters, a few gems and some specific EoD stuff.

I would expect an End of Dragon theme this time as it after all mark an end of the story line that have been here for years. Why not an inventor with a dragon frame, title that one get only when one have all three expansion and so on? I mean it should get a feeling of some kind of exclusivity, but possible to get for most players that have followed the story line and bought all expansion (which shouldn't look out those who only bought HoT or core) It is not impossible to add something for pre-purchase that feels that it is worth it and keep those who don't want to pay in advance (until it have been released and can be tested) happy.

Dragon themed skin for all mounts would fit within this and access to skin that matches for weapon and gear (don't need to be all you get at once, just that it is possible to build around as a progression over time as somebody that have pre-purchased EoD). After one year pre-purchase theme can be sold as an upgrade in game, so there shouldn't be any reason to be upset if somebody misses the opportunity or don't buy it while it is sold as pre-purchase.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:(Unless of course I want it but think it's absurdly over-pried, then I'll wait for a sale - but again it's an expansion, not a new game, so I can be reasonably sure the price will be comparable to previous expansions.)

Well lets hope the current development and marketing team remember how outraged we all were at the Heart of Thorns "expansion". Basically we were rebuying the game in that expac (59.99 at the time if I'm recalling things right) when it first dropped and it caused a big kerfuffle. Path of fire was a much more reasonable price overall.

It was 49.99 at the time of pre-purchase. The 'kerfluffle' was over the Core game going Play4Free, not the cost of the expansion.

In May of 2017, the price dropped to 29.99.

Obviously I eventually accepted it, because I did get HoT. In my case it helped that since I buy gems periodically anyway I could get the Ulimate Edition and mentally subtract the cost of the gems (because I'd pay that sooner or later anyway) and the end result was I got the Deluxe Edition for about what I expected it to cost. But it took a while to get to that point because the announcement was confusing.

i bought it around Anet, i was to pissed at the cost that i bought it from a 3rd party site for 32 euro instead of the 50 euro Anet asked.i think it was an "ill show you" thing, not giving the full price for an already overpriced expansion.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always wondered, why not prepurchase? If the price of the pre purchase and at release date is the same, then why not? If the expansion is bad, people will still buy it as they are invested into the game already and they would be missing out on the new content. Also, the pre order bonuses are quite nice and still an incentive to pre purchase unless of course the release date purchase also includes these items

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ItsChill.9275 said:

I've always wondered, why not prepurchase? If the price of the pre purchase and at release date is the same, then why not? If the expansion is bad, people will still buy it as they are invested into the game already and they would be missing out on the new content. Also, the pre order bonuses are quite nice and still an incentive to pre purchase unless of course the release date purchase also includes these items

Well when you got money and have it in a bank the good ones give you interest on those coins, why give it to a company half a year ( that they then get interest from their bank) before release when you can do it the day before if you want and still get pre order items?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ItsChill.9275 said:

I've always wondered, why not prepurchase?

It comes down to whether you trust the company to release a good, quality product that's worth the money. 

I never pre-order because in my experience companies rarely live up to the hype. I wait for the game to come out, check out some reviews and if it still looks good, i'll give it a buy. Saves me money and regret later on.