Should they add a DPS meter? - [Merged]

22 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yeah, these are the same "privacy laws" you're "violating" right now by reading someone's posts without their direct consent for you to do so.

this is a public forum.

23 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The tool doesn't access your stats, it access that data sent to the client of the player using arcdps.

and the tool is not supported nor endorsed by the company I agreed with.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

13 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

this is a public forum.

About as public as the game is.

But lets get to the point: if you think it violates any law, share it.

13 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

and the tool is not supported nor endorsed by the company I agreed with.

Whether you think waht you just wrote is true or not, it doesn't matter because ingame dps value is not your personal data.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

We do not permit the use of any program that gives one player an unintended, unnatural, or unfair advantage over another player. This includes programs that alter game balance in favor of one player over another, automate actions within the game, promote unattended gameplay, or have an adverse effect on other players.

"Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn't use the program?"
Yes, it allows a player to more accurately adjust their damage in different boss fights, than someone not using the same third-party addon.

"Does this program allow someone to 'play' when he/she is not at the computer?"
No

"Does this program allow the user to gain unnatural or undeserved rewards?"
Since damage is linked to reward, and if they used the addon to adjust their damage so they did more damage, than yes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 9

Why do they care, just make a damage meter for the game or open the floodgate of 3rd party add-ons. its ridiculous to have these rules in a 12 year old game, that doesn't have features that 99% of other mmo's have.

I mean really its a violation of rules to see how much damage you do? why show the numbers at all then.

IF something i wrote is confusing to you guys, by all means enlighten me, or what are you saying you like it that there's no damage meters lol? as usual game is fine as it is lol? no suggestions needed here lmao

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

i think a few years ago this game had 13million accounts while world of warcraft's all-time peak was something like 12mil. its never been as big as everyone thinks it is, it just seems that way due to all the advertising and exposure it gets (through streamers, etc.).

Every MMO game tries to pump up numbers to seem bigger than they are. For example FF14 likes to claim ~30 million accounts. World of Warcraft was focused on concurrent subscribers early on because they were so big with 12 million people paying $15 a month at their peak. But now their active subscribers are estimated to be well below 5 million. Either way these games are much larger than Guild Wars 2.

Obviously games don't last forever but I think it says something that every MMO outside of the one doing non-MMO things (OSRS) is facing a slow and steady decline. Every new MMO that launches with typical grind fails to have any significant staying power and new launches are smaller than ever while RPGs, FPSes and MOBAs continue to set records. 

So sure. Put a DPS meter into the game. Keep it as a third party addon. It's not going to impact much of anything. The reason no one is raiding in this game, the reason barely anyone does strikes is because they don't want to put in the effort when there are better alternatives out there in the form of better games and also bigger (but still dying) raid communities in other MMOs. And the people who raid and do strikes can keep typing people are "lazy" as they take their free time and play a video game. But maybe Arena Net should take a step back and look at reality. You're not going to change the mind of the millions of people who picked League of Legends over Guild Wars 2 when transitioning from GW1. The sun isn't going to rise in the East one day and 30,000 players in the game are going to decide "you know what, today is the day I start spending hours and hours perfecting a build and learning a 5-10 step rotation of my abilities so I can start doing raids and strikes". And for the few that do? The vast majority quit fairly quickly because despite narratives in here about experienced LFGs getting players who don't know what they're doing... the more likely scenario is experienced players joining training LFGs and then yelling at teammates for not being experienced at their role and rotation.

Arena Net's GW1 combat system was innovative. GW2's open world was innovative. It's too bad they threw it all away with poor combat into a relatively traditional raid/strike system. I was hoping they'd innovate there too while keeping the core of what made Guild Wars 1 combat so great where it had hundreds of thousands of people at minimum playing it for several years.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Leger.3724 said:

So sure. Put a DPS meter into the game. Keep it as a third party addon. It's not going to impact much of anything. The reason no one is raiding in this game, the reason barely anyone does strikes is because they don't want to put in the effort when there are better alternatives out there in the form of better games and also bigger (but still dying) raid communities in other MMOs. And the people who raid and do strikes can keep typing people are "lazy" as they take their free time and play a video game. But maybe Arena Net should take a step back and look at reality. You're not going to change the mind of the millions of people who picked League of Legends over Guild Wars 2 when transitioning from GW1.

Again, more people watch television than play games, we should stop making games, fewer and fewer people read books nowadays, let's stop publishing those, gravitate towards cinema instead! /s
A lot of people play fortnite, doesn't mean gw2 should have been a shooter, please think before you speak.

Hardly anyone argues that both wow and ff14 are larger games than gw2, however, you suggesting that this is because of the existence of a dps meter is unfounded, not even that tbh, it is objectively wrong. Wow, being the biggest MMO on the market has even more dps metrics available to the playerbase than gw2.  Now, you can find the game boring, which is fine, but then why are you here? Why aren't you on wow or ff14 or any other genre of game that you so like to draw comparisons to if they are objectively better? 
Well, the real reason is, you love the game, but you can't do endgame content and instead of stepping up to the level of challenge certain endgame modes present, you prefer to complain and demand changes because you are entitled.

We call people who refuse to put in any amount of effort into pulling their weight in group content lazy because that's what they are. Almost noone here tells people to do X amount of damage or go away; however, people will tell you to do your best because that's what you need to do to be a part of a squad doing endgame content. You need to give people a reason to keep you in the squad instead of replacing you. If there is a 95% chance that the next person is going to do twice your damage while bringing more utility, you better have some sick sense of humour for me to entertain the idea of keeping you. Otherwise, what incentive is there for me or any other random pug commander to keep you?
Now, If you genuinely put in effort to play your best so that you pull your own weight, you'll see that people go out of their way to help you. But if you blame the game for your own shortcomings or try to call it boring when there are a lot of people enjoying said content, you are delusional. This game has content for all sorts of players, you can never take a single step inside any squad content and still have things to do. Similarly, you can solely enjoy doing endgame group content and do the absolute bare minimum of open world if you so choose. You can be a fisherman and be a cod swimming among mere minnows. These are all valid ways to play the game. But, if you are stepping into content that has very specific requirements, dictated either by the game mode or the commander of the squad you join, and not satisfy those requirements, that's your problem, not the game's. 
Your complaints are akin to going into PvP with absolutely no defences and then being upset about getting killed.

The sun isn't going to rise in the East one day

Umm... You know what, I'll let you figure that one out yourself.

"you know what, today is the day I start spending hours and hours perfecting a build and learning a 5-10 step rotation of my abilities so I can start doing raids and strikes"

Here, use the linked build and bonk away!

And for the few that do? The vast majority quit fairly quickly because despite narratives in here about experienced LFGs getting players who don't know what they're doing... the more likely scenario is experienced players joining training LFGs and then yelling at teammates for not being experienced at their role and rotation.

How would you know if you don't even bother to play the mode? Oh right, you probably did and got consistently yeeted for putting  absolutely no consideration into not being a burder to the 9 other people in the squad with you.

Arena Net's GW1 combat system was innovative. GW2's open world was innovative. It's too bad they threw it all away with poor combat into a relatively traditional raid/strike system.

I can't play well, it must be the game's fault!
I for one am enjoying the combat system in this game a lot more than the other MMOs I played. I also know quite a few people who stay or keep coming back to this game for that very reason, because the combat is engaging and interesting.

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Quirin.1076 said:

We do not permit the use of any program that gives one player an unintended, unnatural, or unfair advantage over another player. This includes programs that alter game balance in favor of one player over another, automate actions within the game, promote unattended gameplay, or have an adverse effect on other players.

"Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn't use the program?"
Yes, it allows a player to more accurately adjust their damage in different boss fights, than someone not using the same third-party addon.

No

Since damage is linked to reward, and if they used the addon to adjust their damage so they did more damage, than yes.

The adjustment is based on learning what sets of skills and combination get best results then learning what phases/mechanics of a fight you can get optimal damage. This can be done without addons via using the in game training gollum and the numbers you see on screen during fights. Damage meter addons do not suddenly make you play better, they just give you extra tools to assess your performance which takes time and effort for any player.

Edited by Dibit.6259
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Quirin.1076 said:

No

If that's what you believe then they should ban a dps golem in training area. Except reading your dps doesn't magically make you a better player during the encounter. It doesn't somehow immediatelly improve your dps the moment you saw it's not exactly good. You seem to be heavily misenterpreting what you quoted in your post -"you can see your dps is bad, so you can strive to improve as a player, soooo it's unfair that you get rewards after you get better at the game" is a rather misguided claim.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Quirin.1076 said:

No

1. No, it does not make you "adjust" your damage, it let's you monitor it. Adjusting damage happens by learning a fight's mechanics and learning to play your spec.
2. . . .
3. Rewards are not linked to damage. WTH? 😂 If that was the case, no one would play support roles, and those playing support roles would receive worse loot than their teammates, which they do not.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

The vast majority of GW2 players don't care that much about dps and  less than 2% of content needs that level of tuning.  That's why Anet wont add it, it adds little value for the cost. Anet also does not need to own the issue of edge case negative behaviours that meters can empower occassionally.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

1. No, it does not make you "adjust" your damage, it let's you monitor it. Adjusting damage happens by learning a fight's mechanics and learning to play your spec.
2. . . .
3. Rewards are not linked to damage. WTH? 😂 If that was the case, no one would play support roles, and those playing support roles would receive worse loot than their teammates, which they do not.

I am sorry these are ArenaNets questions in the TOS for if you should use an addon, they present these questions to those who feel if an addon is allowed.  Those are my answers if you were confused.

Rewards are linked to damage from participation of the fight.  They recently updated rewards for support so they got more credit for healing, they were not and support players were complaining about it, which had been an issue and they did bring it up on a live stream talking about upcoming events.   I recommend you read all the patch notes for this game, the devs are amazing on what came out in past releases and fixes. There was a whole section just for Dungeon fixes that came out, I mean a lot of Dungeon bug fixes and changes.  

My issue is not with DPS (Damage Per Second < Just incase you did not know)  my thoughts are with those,  including myself, do not wish to use addons.   Since there is already a DPS meter built into the game in the Test Area, the DPS meter is already in the game.   Why not add it to the chat window as an option, a simple checkbox.  You could also add it into the squad info, a simple checkbox or squad command.   /squadinfo or /supplyinfo are two commands that allow the squad leader to see information about players in the squad.

This conversation has run its course for me. 

End of Line.

Edited by Quirin.1076
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

I am sorry these are ArenaNets questions in the TOS for if you should use an addon, they present these questions to those who feel if an addon is allowed.  Those are my answers if you were confused.

Rewards are linked to damage from participation of the fight.  They recently updated rewards for support so they got more credit for healing, they were not and support players were complaining about it, which had been an issue and they did bring it up on a live stream talking about upcoming events.   I recommend you read all the patch notes for this game, the devs are amazing on what came out in past releases and fixes. There was a whole section just for Dungeon fixes that came out, I mean a lot of Dungeon bug fixes and changes.  

My issue is not with DPS (Damage Per Second < Just incase you did not know)  my thoughts are with those,  including myself, do not wish to use addons.   Since there is already a DPS meter built into the game in the Test Area, the DPS meter is already in the game.   Why not add it to the chat window as an option, a simple checkbox.  You could also add it into the squad info, a simple checkbox or squad command.   /squadinfo or /supplyinfo are two commands that allow the squad leader to see information about players in the squad.

This conversation has run its course for me. 

End of Line.

Actually, supports were getting okay loot, until the change to retaliation. So the latest change or rather adaptation to how participation to a kill is calculated merely fixed a problem introduced with changing/removing a boons previous in place (in regards to WvW, PvE participation was never a huge issue to begin with given gold rewards are handed out like candy).

As to the quotations, Ashantara was pointing out that you haven't significantly proven or founded that a damage meter fulfills the definition of: We do not permit the use of any program that gives one player an unintended, unnatural, or unfair advantage over another player.

and

Beause it does not. It allows for players to better improve, if they so desire, on their own game play, which in turn might result in one or more of the above modifiers. The addon on its own does not provide any of those benefits. That's where your personal subjective interpretation comes in.

Same as with the other examples given. You don't get better rewards due to arcdps. You get better rewards because it might cause you to become a better player.

Though there is a gray area here since arcdps does provide far better and extensive data and information than the in game information tools, especially when using the combat replay and other analytical tools. The actual problem with arcdps is with pretty much everything BESIDE the dps parsing and tracking and not because players don't have access to this data, but because the addon simplifies and better visualizes this information.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

If you didn't notice, nobody had an issue with those questions. It's your answers that people disagree with, because they don't make much sense. It's a stetch of completely ridiculous proportions to try claiming that people get better dps just because they run a dps meter. And that's exactly what you were getting at with your "answers" to those questions. Reading what you wrote there, one could almost believe there's some sort of a magic slider allowing for setting their own dps on demand.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

AoHM, Pious Renewal, PA, Pious Renewal, PF, Pious Renewal, TMS, Pious Renewal, WS - repeat.
Spawn spirits, go eat while Spirits kill everything, maybe buff them with PB.

Such innovative combat system.

So disingenuous. Yes. After several expansions they abandoned any pretense at a balanced combat system. 

Notice the common theme with these users though. The common thread. They nitpick sections of posts and even individual phrases within sentences, they strawman posters. They can't argue in an honest and open way because they know they have no leg to stand on.

The reality is the people in end game GW2 pve want to get a win because they can't get it in a game with a sizeable player population base. And they'll be the loudest in the room so Arena Net won't get good feedback because the feedback they're getting is "everything is pretty good, we just need minor changes here or there and the playerbase needs to stop being lazy". Top tier advice, lmao.

If anything this poster just showcased how MMO pvers ruin pve combat, the game dies out and then somehow it's everyone else's fault or it was never good to begin with. The last people any developer should ever take advice from is someone who mains instanced end game pve content in MMOs. 

Edited by Leger.3724
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

So disingenuous. Yes. After several expansions they abandoned any pretense at a balanced combat system. 

Notice the common theme with these users though. The common thread. They nitpick sections of posts and even individual phrases within sentences, they strawman posters. They can't argue in an honest and open way because they know they have no leg to stand on.

The reality is the people in end game GW2 pve want to get a win because they can't get it in a game with a sizeable player population base. And they'll be the loudest in the room so Arena Net won't get good feedback because the feedback they're getting is "everything is pretty good, we just need minor changes here or there and the playerbase needs to stop being lazy". Top tier advice, lmao.

If anything this poster just showcased how MMO pvers ruin pve combat, the game dies out and then somehow it's everyone else's fault or it was never good to begin with. The last people any developer should ever take advice from is someone who mains instanced end game pve content in MMOs. 

Talks about someone making a strawman, addresses nothing anyone wrote, makes a strawman and a rather random claim about someone "ruining pve combat" instead.
Well... wow.

I get it, the game might be a bit hard for you at some points. I'm sure you can get there though, it's actually not as hard as it can initially look.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Well its already too far. 

Have you seen Blish Hud? That thing literally shows where you need to go. No exploration, nothing. Just follow those markers...

Im strictly against it. They should ban all addons.

But I think dps metter wouldnt hurt anyone. Just monitoring your dps and trying to improve your rotations is good.

Edited by Gendalfs.7521
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

Notice the common theme with these complainers though. The common thread. They bring up complaints and whenever presented with counter arguments they swap to a different argument, dancing around their pont, they post strawman arguments whenever get countered. They can't argue in an honest and open way, because they know they have no leg to stand on.

You went from "DPS meters cause low end game playerbase" through "but WoW is dying", MMO player numbers and "but this that is innovative and thrown away" to end up with whining about others bringing up strawman arguments and going on about how being called out on your kitten is ruining PvE combat. That's one hell of an arc there mate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Those are my answers if you were confused.

I wasn't confused, I responded to those false claims of yours.

Rewards are linked to damage from participation of the fight.  They recently updated rewards for support so they got more credit for healing

What nonsense. You are confusing WvW participation levels (which affect the number of loot bags that defeated enemies drop) with endgame rewards. And it is not the amount of damage that counts in WvW but the number of enemies you tagged, which a supporter can do too by several means. Actual PvE event/mission rewards, especially in areas where DPS meters matter to the players using them (raids, strikes, fractals), are not affected by damage at all but by group success only.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
typos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

So sure. Put a DPS meter into the game. Keep it as a third party addon. It's not going to impact much of anything. The reason no one is raiding in this game, the reason barely anyone does strikes is because they don't want to put in the effort when there are better alternatives out there in the form of better games and also bigger (but still dying) raid communities in other MMOs.

You're completely right. Nail on the head. So why even discuss dps meters. It's something a part of player base enjoys. And it's not really impacting anyone outside that group of players. No one is forced to play with them and they aren't forcing anyone to play with them also.

I like rpgs in general and probably the most interesting part for me is making builds. I'm coming from quite some time back, from the 90's dungeon crawlers and later games like Fallout 1&2 and Baldur's gate and all those Infinity Engine games. I played those titles many times over just to make new builds. There were min/maxing communities for those single player rpgs. Guess what, I would be even interested in dps meter and similar tools even in those games. I'm not even a good player when it come to gw2 pve, mostly because I have 2 kids a demanding job and hard time to get any time on schedule to play. But even without raids and strikes and fractals I would interested in dps meter. Because I like to measure my build's performance. And there are players like me that enjoy that part of rpgs and are not bothering anyone wanting to play their way to a point when they step into their group of like minded players and feel entitled to tell others how to play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

And there are players like me that enjoy that part of rpgs and are not bothering anyone wanting to play their way to a point when they step into their group of like minded players and feel entitled to tell others how to play.

This is not playerbase they catter of. /s

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

I find this really interesting because you complained about the endgame and the combat system the entire time, and now you're accusing others of being unable to do endgame on other games? If nothing else, what you wrote is at least a strong argument towards keeping confused reactions lol.
I literally linked you a 0 input 30k dps build, is it still too hard to play? If yes, there is also an autoplay checkbox on the launcher, maybe it should also play the game for you instead of just launching the game automatically eh?
All in all, you need to pick a lane buddy, you are swerving left and right like a drunk driver.

I've helped quite a few people improve their DPS, I don't do benchmark levels of damage myself mind you, and one thing those people had in common was a desire to improve. This is why we call people who refuse to get out of their comfort zone lazy. There are people with serious disabilities doing rotations in this game. I've personally been in a squad with a man with one arm and his DPS was perfectly fine. There is a video out there of a person doing a rotation with his nose. You truly have no excuse for not being able to do a simplified rotation other than being lazy.

Look, if you ever come to a point in your life where you decide to stop crying and give endgame a proper go, here are some instructions that can help:
1- Learn your cardinal directions,  If you're going to make a statement like this "The sun isn't going to rise in the East one day and 30,000 players in the game are going to decide "you know what, today is the day I start spending hours and hours perfecting a build and learning a 5-10 step rotation of my abilities so I can start doing raids and strikes", you use West instead of east because you are trying to suggest that everything would have to be out of order for the 2nd part of your sentence to occur. This will be important for endgame content because you'll fairly frequently need to split from your group and knowing your cardinal directions helps with that.

2- Play an easy build. This doesn't necessarily have to be a 0 button class, but I strongly suggest you start with one judging from how you've reacted to everything so far. Alternately, if you are willing to actually play the game to do endgame content, almost all builds in the game can be simplified at various levels of cost to your dps output. While you are new to a build, less will often be more, as many people lose damage while they try to pull off more complicated rotations.

3- Be honest with yourself and own up to your mistakes and shortcomings. If your default is to blame others or the system whenever you hit a wall, you'll not make it long in any squad. People will have a lot more patience for you if you don't blame the healer when you walk into a one shot.

4- Don't try to do full rotations on bosses with mechanics, start slow, avoid mechanics even if it means you have no attention left to spare for a rotation while doing mechanics. Just auto attack or straight up only do the mechanics if you must. Once you get comfortable enough with any given boss, only then start to figure out how you can squeeze in more damage in between. I strongly recommend understanding the logic behind any given rotation instead of memorizing it. Memorizing it is decent starting practice to get certain chain of skills down to muscle memory, but it won't help you adjust dynamically, meanwhile understanding why you do what you do will.

Edit:

3 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

Someone get the license plate of the necro that raised this thread from the dead. 

Someone made a separate post, which then got merged, so depending on perspective, the infamous necro could be the original poster of the 2nd thread or the forum moderator who merged ^^ 

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1