What Types of Armor Design Do You Want to See in the Future?

Issildia.1289

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see a profession-specific armor set available in-game (no gems!)My favorites from GW1 were Mesmer (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mesmer_Elite_Rogue_armor) and Elementalist (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Elementalist_Elite_Sunspear_armor). Yeah, the Ele armor is basically handkerchiefs and a belt, but I still like it.

One thing I don't want to see is more buttflaps. Please give us an actual set of mage robes? Pweeze?

@Asum.4960 said:The oxymoron of skimpy heavy armor makes my brain melt a bit, but sure..

It makes sense for the Norns because according the the lore they are simply not "big humans" but rather super-powered giants of mythological strength who don't really need armour to survive. That is why two of three heavy cultural sets are showing quite a lot of skin for males and females alike.

Plus, Guild Wars 2 is a game based around dodging rather than really tanking hits, so canonically it makes sense for all the races to develop heavy armour that isn't as restrictive as the classic full-plate.

Cultural armor unique to the race you have chosen to play, So they all look different and have different options than one another making them feel interesting and something to stand on their own too feet. Norn should dress differently than humans, as should sylvari and charr as well asuran.... Make it so they get their own unique skins and feel. Tired of this homogenized crap where we all are the same and no one looks different.

@Caedmon.6798 said:Less bulky stuff..just because its a warrior or guard with heavy gear shouldnt mean that everything has to be so kitten bulky,espec the shoulders which i always hide.

Do you happen to have a sylvari? Shoulders on sylvari seems to have messed up scaling very frequently for some reason.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Caedmon.6798 said:Less bulky stuff..just because its a warrior or guard with heavy gear shouldnt mean that everything has to be so kitten bulky,espec the shoulders which i always hide.

Do you happen to have a sylvari? Shoulders on sylvari seems to have messed up scaling very frequently for some reason.

Maxed out norn,most gear seems way out of proportion to me on most sets.

Is this an actual poll, or just another thread bashing people who don't fall in line with the ideology which claims that we can have magic super powers that allow us to call fire from the sky, make clones, shadow-step here and there, stealth, etc, but somehow need armor to be fully physical and all encompassing because for some reason magic isn't the source of our actual defense?

As always, above and beyond everything else: no more gendered armor.

Also, I'd really welcome a long break from making any human-themed gear. There's too much of that already, at the expense of everyone else. We need more choices for non-humans that actually reflect their own cultures and styles. This is especially true for sylvari because their grown armor looks very different from everything else, and as it is they are stuck with a grand total of four options, some of which look like garbage because the texture quality is so low. And they don't all glow, either. It's also very much true for charr, because far too many pieces including many of the newest PoF ones and even their own cultural light T3 of all things have big issues with clipping, bad texture scaling, extreme shoulder floatiness, etc., or "just" make a huge killing machine look like a declawed human court jester.

Thirdly, the introduction of mounts as added another reason to dislike the omnipresent trenchcoats, buttflaps and skirts: they clip badly when mounted. Just give us more plain pants, please.

In general, I much prefer more "low-key" or "realistic"-looking gear to the "MMO-y" stuff with its glittersparks and spiky spikes of extra spikiness. I don't want to look as if I couldn't walk through a door, crouch or just turn my head without instantly impaling myself on my own armor.

@Chadramar.8156 said:As always, above and beyond everything else: no more gendered armor.

Also, I'd really welcome a long break from making any human-themed gear. There's too much of that already, at the expense of everyone else. We need more choices for non-humans that actually reflect their own cultures and styles. This is especially true for sylvari because their grown armor looks very different from everything else, and as it is they are stuck with a grand total of four options, some of which look like garbage because the texture quality is so low. And they don't all glow, either. It's also very much true for charr, because far too many pieces including many of the newest PoF ones and even their own cultural light T3 of all things have big issues with clipping, bad texture scaling, extreme shoulder floatiness, etc., or "just" make a huge killing machine look like a declawed human court jester.

Thirdly, the introduction of mounts as added another reason to dislike the omnipresent trenchcoats, buttflaps and skirts: they clip badly when mounted. Just give us more plain pants, please.

In general, I much prefer more "low-key" or "realistic"-looking gear to the "MMO-y" stuff with its glittersparks and spiky spikes of extra spikiness. I don't want to look as if I couldn't walk through a door, crouch or just turn my head without instantly impaling myself on my own armor.

I agree wholeheartedly. As someone who freaks out when anything remotely clips I have been deterred from rolling races other than humans and sylvari. I have a Norn, Asuran and Charr that I never play near as much as my human ranger and sylvari ele. I mean can someone PLEASE fix the asuran shoe clipping issue that happens with 90% of shoes! It drives me crazy. I don't care if you decided to cram all three toes in there to look like a human shoe or go to the trouble of making it look realistic with three toes but please make some attempt at fixing it. This is something that should have been right since day one.

And as for the Charr character model. The tail clipping and badly augmented human armors are silly looking. Some of the Charr cultural looks really nice, especially some of the heavy sets. I would love to see more like it.

I think after reading the feedback from this thread, the easiest way to please most people would be to add more cultural armor to the game. I am well aware how unrealistic it would be to go back and fix existing sets. So if Anet could develop maybe 2 or 3 cultural sets per race they would be adding a minimum of 24 new armors to the game. (Please correct me if my math is wrong) I think it would sate our appetite for new armor for a while and it would probably be the easiest option for the devs. This way every race would get something that suits their models.

Edit: If somehow we were gifted with 3 new sets per armor type, per race we could get into profession specific armor. One tier per profession style. Similar to how they did with some of the previous Cultural armor.

I chose options 2 & 3, but honestly I would just like some actual difference in design rather than slight variations to existing armor.Heavy Armor: Bulky with a lot of spikes and butt capes.Medium Armor: Trench Coats, Trench Coats, Trench Coats.Light Armor: Long Robes

All seem to just be redesigns of the same armor. Variety is the spice of life.

@Issildia.1289 said:So if Anet could develop maybe 2 or 3 cultural sets per race they would be adding a minimum of 24 new armors to the game. (Please correct me if my math is wrong)

If they made 3 new cultural armour sets per race, one for each weight class, that would be 15 sets. If you're counting male and female as different for Human, Norn and Sylvari (since they tend to do gendered armours for those), then that's 24 sets. Is that what you meant? (Without treating the genders differently, I don't see how you'd get 24.)

anything but another god damn trench coat for the love of god. the medium legendary armor is a fucking troll ive never been trolled so hard in my life. i dont want to look like a school shooter anymore do you know how impractical a trench coat is to thief its like a female wearing bikini armor. the more i think about the legendary trench coat the more aggravated i get i stopped raiding because of it.

Archived