spears and scyths for land combat are long overdue

I am very confident in saying that there will NEVER! be new weapon types added in this game.

That said, I do believe Anet really needs to make some underwater weapons usable on land and a bunch of land weapons usable underwater.This is the best solution I can think of to the issue of adding new Weapons to the game without causing a massive lack of available skins.

For Scythes well you have two options.. a class that uses melee staff or Necro's Reaper spec.. that's the best you can hope for im afraid.

@lokh.2695 said:I'd rather have them spend their resources on something else.

Like what, exactly?

Bluntly - I think people with this opinion are wrong, just like how the anti-mount crowd was wrong. I think the long term health of the game is strongly tied to variety in character options. Today, the character customization is too simple and too on-rails considering there is no gear progression and the level is locked to 80. New weapon types and new weapon skills would take some work, but the bang-for-buck effect is much higher than it is with a lot of content they are actually developing now.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:I'd rather have them spend their resources on something else.

Like what, exactly?

Bluntly - I think people with this opinion are wrong, just like how the anti-mount crowd was wrong. I think the long term health of the game is strongly tied to variety in character options. Today, the character customization is too simple and too on-rails considering there is no gear progression and the level is locked to 80. New weapon types and new weapon skills would take some work, but the bang-for-buck effect is much higher than with a lot of other possible things.

There is a laundry list of things that need to be fixed. I, for one, would like to see more attention to those things than the incorporation of something new which, to me, won't add a lot of new "playability" for what I believe would be the majority of the player base.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Like what, exactly?

Bluntly - I think people with this opinion are wrong, just like how the anti-mount crowd was wrong. I think the long term health of the game is strongly tied to variety in character options. Today, the character customization is too simple and too on-rails considering there is no gear progression and the level is locked to 80. New weapon types and new weapon skills would take some work, but the bang-for-buck effect is much higher than with a lot of other possible things.

There is a laundry list of things that need to be fixed. I, for one, would like to see more attention to those things than the incorporation of something new which, to me, won't add a lot of new "playability" for what I believe would be the majority of the player base.

There will always be a laundry list of things to fix. This is identical to using "the game needs balancing" to naysay new classes or whatever. It's wrongheaded because it misses the fact fixing and balancing are ongoing efforts that you cannot pause system evolution and content development for.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

Like what, exactly?

There will always be a laundry list of things to fix. This is identical to using "the game needs balancing" to naysay new classes or whatever. It's wrongheaded because it misses the fact fixing and balancing are ongoing efforts that you cannot pause system evolution and content development for.

True, but some things that need fixing are not balance-related. You've been here long enough to have seen the many threads on in-game things that need to be fixed. I'm just saying that, for me, I would like more attention to be directed toward these types of things than the introduction of something new that -- again in my opinion -- would be for a more niche audience.

Land spears I'd like to see. And even tridents into something land based, beyond the obvious pitchfork memes. I really like how they were imaginative with the staff for Daredevil, so I;d like to see them continue to innovate with the existing weapon types

I'm not sure how fussed I am about all new weapon types. I'm certainly not against it, but I don't see them backdating skins for them. I guess that is likely the issue for spears/tridents too if we think about it.

Scythes would probably not be one of the ones in my bucket list of new ones to see if I was asking for something though. Morningstar would probably top it and chakram might be fun.

@Obtena.7952 said:Do people not realize the only difference between a completely new weapon type and an existing one is ONLY the name?

Yeah, this is a game with a ranged hammer! A hammer!

I don't know what people imagine they'll get if they get spears but it's so very unlikely that we'll ever see land spears and all but impossible that we'll ever see scythes as they've already given us staff skins with scythes and spears.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Do people not realize the only difference between a completely new weapon type and an existing one is ONLY the name?

Yeah, this is a game with a ranged hammer! A hammer!

I don't know what people imagine they'll get if they get spears but it's so very unlikely that we'll ever see land spears and all but impossible that we'll ever see scythes as they've already given us staff skins with scythes and spears.

Yeah exactly ... whether the weapon is labeled 'spear' or not has no consequence to how someone plays.

@Duke Nukem.6783 said:

@Alex.8932 said:You and i know, that you WILL buy the new xpac, no matter what ;)

i haven't even got path of fire yet =) it just didn't wow me

You would buy an expansion based on if they add a couple specific weapon types, but the entire addition of mounts somehow wasn't appealing enough to buy PoF even when it's gone on sale after all this time?

I wouldn't mind seeing polearms as a weapon type (halberds, spears, etc) but a hard NO to scythes. They are not weapons anymore than sickles, blacksmith's hammers, or any other early-industrial tool. Most things can be used as a weapon, but that doesn't make them 'weapons' (which are designed to inflict harm).

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

Like what, exactly?

Bluntly - I think people with this opinion are wrong, just like how the anti-mount crowd was wrong. I think the long term health of the game is strongly tied to variety in character options. Today, the character customization is too simple and too on-rails considering there is no gear progression and the level is locked to 80. New weapon types and new weapon skills would take some work, but the bang-for-buck effect is much higher than it is with a lot of content they are actually developing now.

In an ordinary game, new weapon types can bring something new to the table just by being new. In GW2, where a Hammer can be a ranged weapon, a staff is both a magical caster tool and a quarterstaff, basically: it's a game where weapon type and skills do not corelate. In GW2 most of the things that people ask for when it comes to weapons can be solved by skins, which is why I think, adding new weapons wouldn't add much to the game that couldn't be done without. Maybe one of the new elite specs will get a meelee staff and the skills will look more like techniques you'd use with a spear, along with some skins and voila, you are now wealding a spear. This is why I'd rather have the developers use resources on something else. For me, this would mean a rework of dungeons for example, or "fixing things", or giving the LS more depth, or take the time that would go into new weapons/classes/races and put them to work for the next set of elite specs, or make the new maps look prettier, or or or...and as much as the people who want resources to be spent on land spears can voice their opinion here, I can as well voice my opinon that resources can be spent better elsewhere. But I have given this reasoning for my answer in many threads as this topis has been discussed many times already, if you're interested you can use the forum's search function to find the many threads about it, so instead of writing another lenghty and biased text about my opinion, I just say "Let's do something else instead" and move on.

@Dark Red Killian.3946 said:New weapons could easily be added via elite specs. This way you aren’t adding new weapons to core profession as well as adding an additional weapon choice with elite spec.

I believe that is the common assumption of how new weapon types would be introduced in the improbable event Anet chooses to do so. Though maybe some if you are right about it becoming a necessity, but it also feels like that that ship has sailed.

@Dark Red Killian.3946 said:New weapons could easily be added via elite specs. This way you aren’t adding new weapons to core profession as well as adding an additional weapon choice with elite spec.

Sure ... but that's the WORST scenario for adding a new weapon. Anet adds a new weapon and ONLY the elite spec can use it? That's about as underwhelming as it gets. Might as well just stick to giving elite specs a weapon from the pool of current ones and save the work plus give all the benefits of existing skins.

I would love for Anet to add land spears but in a way that nobody expects and then see how many of the "I want land spears" crowd goes on to complain that, even though they got what they wanted, it wasn't added or usable in a way they want and that Anet should have done something else instead with their time and resources...better yet a "why didn't you just add [insert existing weapon here] instead of doing this?!"

I think if they wanted to be really clever they could go for spear, but mutliple different versions. Unsure of the functionality but it'd be cool if we got a Naginata-esque wieilding warrior 2h spear, something else that uses spear and off hand to throw them like javelins like in gw1, and spear/pike and shield ala. Hoplites and spearmen.

Plus, not all classes have spear as a good thematic fit imo so keeping it more limited that way will make it nicely varied without oversaturating.