Would you like WoW-style battlegrounds? (10v0, 15v15, bigger maps)

Would you like WoW-style battlegrounds?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in having random BGs as they exist in WoW implemented in GW2?

• Yes.
    • No.

Hello. 

I won't elaborate much. It's pretty self-explanatory: would you be interested in PvP battles of a greater scale than the currently limited 5v5 option we have now, with bigger maps and possibly new types of objectives?

I'd love to read your answers.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WvW and 15vs15 BGs are really not the same, Paradox.

Because a BG would have ~5 different objectives scattered across the map, and you'd need to control at least 3 of them, you couldn't form a massive zerg of players and AoE everything down from range with no real player interaction.

Each objective would have 1-3 players of each team fighting, with small skirmishes on the roads.

Since there'd be more than 5 players per team, it wouldn't be like current 5v5 where you always face the same person that you always destroy or get destroyed by.

It's a very satisfying format.

• Like 6

For such thing to happen you need to have more health on all classes and you need aoe spells to deal less damage than single target spells in total. 

So if spell can hit 5 targets(currently 1000 dmg per target) that is 5k dmg, while same single target spell does 1500 dmg only. So you would need to reduce such aoe dmg to 300 per target to make it balanced for such game mode. 

With it, you need to reduce aoe condis by a lot so they can be just dots and nothing bursty. 

Then you will get balanced situation which you can call "15v15 battleground" .

This could've worked 5 years ago and I'd have wanted it then, but given that the current population can't even support reasonably fair/competitive 5v5, with the current population it'd be a total clown fiesta.

Edited by Ragnar.4257

9 hours ago, ellesee.8297 said:

in wow, ranked bg is a meme.

Because it has no solo queue and people can't be bothered sitting in LFG for 1 hour or more before they can start playing the game. Random BGs are very popular however, because they don't suffer that issue.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Because it has no solo queue and people can't be bothered sitting in LFG for 1 hour or more before they can start playing the game. Random BGs are very popular however, because they don't suffer that issue.

random bgs are akin to unranked queues. only those without gear or extreme casuals play it. if you wanna throw in 10v10s or 15v15s in unranked, that's fine. large scale competitive pvp though? that doesn't exist.

10 hours ago, ellesee.8297 said:

random bgs are akin to unranked queues. only those without gear or extreme casuals play it.

I'm a 2400 XP arena player in WoW and I still enjoy random BGs. Simpe pleasures like bumping people off cliffs never get old, and being able to take on multiple opponents is fun.

10 hours ago, ellesee.8297 said:

if you wanna throw in 10v10s or 15v15s in unranked, that's fine. large scale competitive pvp though? that doesn't exist.

I'm fine with it being unranked only. I'm just a bit burned out by the fact that we only have 5v5 and nothing else quite frankly, I'd love more options.

• Like 2

Yes. This could be a thing to get more players into PvP - since it would be great stuff. Might also be interesting for guilds.

WvW basically is only zerging and nobody cares about winning - just for the rewards. (When it probably was meant as zerging without having the need for much combat stills but instead focusing on an overall strategy ... most people do not really care.) The worst existing game mode.

PvP - it is still better than WvW - has the main focus on "keyboard acrobatics". The strongest players will be the ones good at quickly using the correct skills n stuff. Combat is the main focus.

A 10 vs. 10 or 15 vs. 15 (20 vs. 20 would be the most that I would find fun I think) could have a good combination of having the need for combat strength but also having a need for overall strategy/tactics regarding the map and the objcectives. (As long as it wasn't stupid death match and also the mechanics needed to get more than 1 point simultaneously to get to win. - to encourage spreading the team in smaller sub-groups.)

Imo this is the prefered game mode for me. Should have been in the game since release and I have been waiting for this for years now. Most other games that I liked had similar amount of players in the game modes I liked most.

For example: Some good shooter games also have - instead of boring small team death match - capture and hold with bigger teams. Another game I liked - barely known and long dead and back then it only was pretty niche: Savage 2 - a Tortured soul. In that game you needed to destroy the enemy main base (main spawn point). You could advance through the map and had to hold mines to gather money which was used to build (free placement where terrain allowed, no fixed places) forward spawn bases.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aihao.5824 said:

pls, no wow here, its a different game, i left wow not for seeing the same clownfiest as there

I guarantee you, having more game mode options and larger scale PvP battles won't turn GW2 into a WoW clone. Trust me.

• Like 2

No thank you.

As former 3200 rated RBG player i can say (rated) BGs are skillless and zergy. There is a reason you see hardstuck 1300 arenaplayers play at 2100-2400 in RBGs. 

The bigger the group the more snowbally the game becomes. Less about skill, timing, reaction and more about bruteforcing.  

Right now the unrated 5v5s are very lobsided. Saw plenty of top 10 players play and lose since their team just got snowballed. 10 v 10 will be that ....but then 10 times worse.