Rangers again

welch.2785

On 5/20/2021 at 2:18 PM, maddoctor.2738 said:

I haven't played WvW in quite a while, but from back in the day, the  reason many players hated Rangers was because of the pet as it was a "free" epidemic. Apply conditions on a pet that can't do much to defend itself, use epidemic, wipe a whole group. When conditions were overused everywhere that was an issue. I thought that the merging of Soulbeasts solved that "problem", although you did have to roll a Soulbeast to use merging. That and the annoying Longbow 4 push, are the two reasons for hating Rangers, I don't think their kit is weak or "useless" in WVW otherwise.

Soulbeast solves one of the aspects, trading off the useless pets with stats and a few useful skills. Shareable Bear and Dolyak stance are also good. It also retains strong immob output, which is good. If Frost Trap had higher coefficients in wvw, it could have been used the same way DH traps are used now.

It did not however solve the issue of weapons. Greatsword is good on swap for melee pushes and cleave, but optimally it would have something like the revenant hammer as its main choice. That's the ranger's biggest issue in large scale wvw. Marksmanship and Skirmishing provide a good baseline for a damage role, but it needs an elite spec with a decent mechanic and more importantly a more useable weapon. Ranged damage wells or something akin to that would be a nice bonus if we were to go full damage, but not necessarily needed. Alternatively could an elite spec focused on boon strip also work, but I doubt it would do any better than spellbreaker.

Both Druid and Soulbeast are currently good immob bots with decent damage or heal/cleanse, but that's a niche role. Still much better than anything core ranger could do.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1

As a fellow condi range, I roam and take down sentries and a few camps when I can.

My big silly problem is I built the class as a charr which are sloooooow.

I haven't played in two years and I'm thinking of building a new class just for wvw. Condi range is great for pve and I love playing the class but i feel its a bit out of date 

Edited by SouthPaw.9705

So, this thread has a lot of people saying “don’t play Ranger”, and it has a few people saying “you can make it work”, so let me ask the latter group: what works? I’ve been trying to make a condi slb work for a month or so now, and while it does okay it’s obvious that it’s at best “top of the bottom shelf”. 

So if you’ve made Ranger work, what build are you running? What tweaks have made the difference? We all theorycraft, but I’m sure there are many people better than me, and I’d be curious to hear their thinking.

I’d rather not just run my Necro as a WvW buffbot because I can’t personally solve for improving my Ranger. I’d much rather learn from my betters and continue practicing (and gearing) my preferred WvW character.

Edited by Dao Jones.6720

23 minutes ago, Dao Jones.6720 said:

So, this thread has a lot of people saying “don’t play Ranger”, and it has a few people saying “you can make it work”, so let me ask the latter group: what works? I’ve been trying to make a condi slb work for a month or so now, and while it does okay it’s obvious that it’s at best “top of the bottom shelf”. 

So if you’ve made Ranger work, what build are you running? What tweaks have made the difference? We all theorycraft, but I’m sure there are many people better than me, and I’d be curious to hear their thinking.

I’d rather not just run my Necro as a WvW buffbot because I can’t personally solve for improving my Ranger. I’d much rather learn from my betters and continue practicing (and gearing) my preferred WvW character.

Use your knowledge of WvW.
What doesn't work? Projectiles or conditions against comped squads.
What works? Power damage in melee.

Greatsword, sword+axe. Soulbeast , beast mastery. Your pick of wilderness survival (more sustain via protection on dodge and rugged growth + immob output) or marksmanship/skirmishing depending on how much vitality+toughness you need to survive.

If you're doing more roaming you can run double axes as the Gw2mists site uses https://gw2mists.com/builds/ranger/power-soulbeast . They don't run beastmastery which I think is mistake due to the loss of merged bonuses in exchange for spotter + Vicious Quarry.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SouthPaw.9705 said:

As a fellow condi range, I roam and take down sentries and a few camps when I can.

My big silly problem is I built the class as a charr which are sloooooow.

I haven't played in two years and I'm thinking of building a new class just for wvw. Condi range is great for pve and I love playing the class but i feel its a bit out of date 

I have to say Anet considers tagging different for each weapon, while with LB you need to do at least 2K damage to get the reward with Shortbow you only need to do a couple of impacts, no matter the actual damage. 

8 hours ago, Dao Jones.6720 said:

so let me ask the latter group: what works? I’ve been trying to make a condi slb work for a month or so now, and while it does okay it’s obvious that it’s at best “top of the bottom shelf”. 

I agree with this sentiment. I don't know if it's because the conditions applied for the shortbow last 2 seconds or because the dagger main hand is very clunky but yeah condi ranger doesn't feel any good. 

14 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Use your knowledge of WvW.
What doesn't work? Projectiles or conditions against comped squads.
What works? Power damage in melee.

Greatsword, sword+axe. Soulbeast , beast mastery. Your pick of wilderness survival (more sustain via protection on dodge and rugged growth + immob output) or marksmanship/skirmishing depending on how much vitality+toughness you need to survive.

If you're doing more roaming you can run double axes as the Gw2mists site uses https://gw2mists.com/builds/ranger/power-soulbeast . They don't run beastmastery which I think is mistake due to the loss of merged bonuses in exchange for spotter + Vicious Quarry.

I think the challenge here is that it feels like people are playing different versions of wvw across different servers. So advice that makes sense for one group doesn't always translate elsewhere.

On my server I'd say 80% of the time I see pirate ships when zergs meet. I'm not in a guild, so I'm always going to be running with a pugmander, and that means no coordinated, focused comps. So a melee build there basically means you're a free bag the minute there's a push, because you get focused and burned down almost immediately by the enemy swarm.

Success means staying the hell out of melee range as much as possible, and only swapping to melee when you meet a disorganized enemy or when you roam or run in small groups. But both of those situations don't tend to see any real projectile hate, so the risk of using projectiles is low.

Given that, it doesn't feel like it makes sense to build for melee in my situation, which maybe suggests my Ranger in wvw should stick to roaming and small group play, or maybe just that playing a Ranger is incompatible with my disorganized wvw lifestyle. 🙃

I think I need a class that can function as a roamer, but also brings disruption (strips/cc) or support in groups.

Edited by Dao Jones.6720
  • Like 1

I agree it would be nice if they used elite specs to address the large scale combat issues for ranger and thief.  But history has shown us otherwise.  They seem to keep professions pigeon-holed by the class's original concept.  Rangers are primarily single target damage and thieves must use active defenses to survive.  In addition, it seems like the development teams work in silos.  The skills team has full control over elite spec design and are focused on creating new raid roles or designing skills that make people feel awesome in open world PvE.  Given all of this, I think people should explore using other professions instead of waiting for ArenaNET to solve these issues.

I get it.  I mainly played thief for the first 3-4 years of the game.  Back then we had to grind to level up new professions and I just wanted to play WvW.  It wasn't until they removed experience from WvW and we started receiving tomes of knowledge that I became an altoholic.  Now I rarely play thief except for dailies, PvE, and some PvP.  I could still play thief in large scale fights but after playing the other classes you can see how much of a disadvantage you have.  If you enjoy a class and can outplay people in meta classes more power to you.  I just think more people need to give other professions a chance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Particularly silly since race doesnt have any impact on speeds.

Really? I swear everyone else in the train just speeds past me. Pve too, I played as charr zerker as a main and thought the same...

Is it my pet getting into combat you reckon? Or am I imagining it???

Edited by SouthPaw.9705

4 hours ago, Dao Jones.6720 said:

I think the challenge here is that it feels like people are playing different versions of wvw across different servers. So advice that makes sense for one group doesn't always translate elsewhere.

On my server I'd say 80% of the time I see pirate ships when zergs meet. I'm not in a guild, so I'm always going to be running with a pugmander, and that means no coordinated, focused comps. So a melee build there basically means you're a free bag the minute there's a push, because you get focused and burned down almost immediately by the enemy swarm.

Success means staying the hell out of melee range as much as possible, and only swapping to melee when you meet a disorganized enemy or when you roam or run in small groups. But both of those situations don't tend to see any real projectile hate, so the risk of using projectiles is low.

Given that, it doesn't feel like it makes sense to build for melee in my situation, which maybe suggests my Ranger in wvw should stick to roaming and small group play, or maybe just that playing a Ranger is incompatible with my disorganized wvw lifestyle. 🙃

I think I need a class that can function as a roamer, but also brings disruption (strips/cc) or support in groups.

Yeah, I believe your instinct about double melee is correct. 

It is my experience as well that not running at least one ranged weapon (either bow or staff) leaves you far too open to being focused.  I don't count mainhand axe as a ranged weapon because it's too slow and doesn't have any escape tools (stealth on LB, swiftness on SB, movement skill on staff).  So you can stand at range with axe and do less than nothing or get in melee range where splitblade becomes effective.

Anyway, I found in WvW as a ranger you need to play like a thief and pretty much always be on the periphery of battles or looking for an out.  I mention both parts as if you don't run LB and run something like SB Druid, you can play tanky and be pretty much in the middle of things, but you also have no sustain so you need to look for an out or just get CC'd to death.  If you DO play LB then periphery is pretty much your entire deal, melee is for kiting or for chasedowns (LB + S/A with runes of speed is very fun for this).

The tldr; is if you are an aware ranger and especially if you like to theorycraft, it is going to be very hard to bring you down in WvW despite the obvious weaknesses of the class.  

10 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Yeah, I believe your instinct about double melee is correct. 

It is my experience as well that not running at least one ranged weapon (either bow or staff) leaves you far too open to being focused.  I don't count mainhand axe as a ranged weapon because it's too slow and doesn't have any escape tools (stealth on LB, swiftness on SB, movement skill on staff).  So you can stand at range with axe and do less than nothing or get in melee range where splitblade becomes effective.

Anyway, I found in WvW as a ranger you need to play like a thief and pretty much always be on the periphery of battles or looking for an out.  I mention both parts as if you don't run LB and run something like SB Druid, you can play tanky and be pretty much in the middle of things, but you also have no sustain so you need to look for an out or just get CC'd to death.  If you DO play LB then periphery is pretty much your entire deal, melee is for kiting or for chasedowns (LB + S/A with runes of speed is very fun for this).

The tldr; is if you are an aware ranger and especially if you like to theorycraft, it is going to be very hard to bring you down in WvW despite the obvious weaknesses of the class.  

This is terrible advice. Nobody should play shortbow druid in WvW unless they're roaming. Even if they're roaming shortbow druid is attrition , which doesn't work in WvW when people have cleansing sigils.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthPaw.9705 said:

Really? I swear everyone else in the train just speeds past me. Pve too, I played as charr zerker as a main and thought the same...

Is it my pet getting into combat you reckon? Or am I imagining it???

Superspeed, switftness, speed runes, 25% traits, etc... All races are just as fast (or as slow if you like).

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:57 PM, welch.2785 said:

i am tired of rangers being told they are useless in WvW. if arnet does not want them in WvW then remove the abililty to join WvW. Or improve their abilities to be of use in WvW....  no group wants rangers. i am sure arnet did not design them to be kept out of groups. groups get the best and most loot, lot more social aspect to the game, and more fun experience. so please make us more useless in groups so we can join the community or make them unable to get into WvW...

Not sure how many older posts you might have seen over time but your point is a great one when people use the cry out of rangers are OP nerf them. If rangers were ever so OP then they would be welcome in squads more freely. Rangers are a great counter to Necro's but even while Necro's were top line Rangers still weren't sought after. To many they are still still to selfish per say of a class. That said, rangers are great in havocs and make great roamers/scouts, a full boon-beast havoc can be deadly if they focus fire. But it also come with the price they are potentially less efficient in larger squads. I wouldn't be surprised though if a new elite comes with EoD that focuses more on squad play and does not make a good roamer. But until/if we get news in July, its pure speculation so take that as it is. Good hunting!

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I don't count mainhand axe as a ranged weapon because it's too slow and doesn't have any escape tools (stealth on LB, swiftness on SB, movement skill on staff).  So you can stand at range with axe and do less than nothing or get in melee range where splitblade becomes effective.

Ranged or not has nothing to do with "escape abiliy" and being fast or slow. It is all about range of skills and this clearly classifies mainhand axe as ranged weapon, as all of its attacks have 900 range (just like sb). Yes, Splitblade is better used at close range, but this does not invalidate axe as ranged weapon (otherwise you might as well call shortbow a melee weapon too, since Poison Volley works exactly the same).

22 hours ago, Dao Jones.6720 said:

Been a Ranger in WvW for awhile now - from what I can tell it will depend on the group but i've never had an issue getting in squads just being Soulbeast or going full on Boon Druid for big zergs, people do love their might stacks and spirit buffs. As Soulbeast I always run with a LB as of course, Barrage allows you to hit far away targets on walls ect. Wiped groups by just using that ability before. And when someone is targeted, I swap to them and they are downed in the next instant. Its really easy to time and pick off people when you know how. They can never run away. Easy to protect your flank. 

Condi SB though, I can see it working on the pve aspects but against players, not sure how well it'd do, never tried it. Lacks the picking off capabilities of a power build. It could "work" but it'd be harder to pull off then just pure damage. That and lacking in other area's like not having LB's 5. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

This is terrible advice. Nobody should play shortbow druid in WvW unless they're roaming. Even if they're roaming shortbow druid is attrition , which doesn't work in WvW when people have cleansing sigils.

Probably should learn to play Druid then.  

52 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Ranged or not has nothing to do with "escape abiliy" and being fast or slow. It is all about range of skills and this clearly classifies mainhand axe as ranged weapon, as all of its attacks have 900 range (just like sb). Yes, Splitblade is better used at close range, but this does not invalidate axe as ranged weapon (otherwise you might as well call shortbow a melee weapon too, since Poison Volley works exactly the same).

You can't call shortbow 'melee' because it has quick shot, a cripple, and a stun lol.  Longbow has at 1500 range, a knockback, a stealth, and an AoE cripple.  Staff has a ranged root, ranged projectile barrier, etc.  See where I'm going with this?

MH axe literally has one chill that is very, very slow and easy to dodge unless you are well within 900.  I maintain that you can't play MH axe well unless you are in the 400-600 unit range, at which point calling that 'ranged' is semantics only.  

Axe has ranger's highest dps ranged autoattack and axe 3 deals decent aoe dmg and applies chill and weakness - while being one of the easiest to land ranger skills. Axe 2 is pretty irrelevant as it is useless on power builds and mediocre on condi or hybrid. 1 and 3 carry the weapon, both with 900 range.

The argument that other weapons have more ranged skills than axe is also useless, because guess what, 2-handed weapons just happen to have more skills than 1-handed, that's all there is to it. Just compared it to other 1h ranged weapons and they all do not much but dmg at up to 900 range. Or you want to tell me scepters and necro's axe are melee weapons?

Again - the only thing that matters whether a weapon should be classified as ranged or melee is the maximum range of (the majority of) it's skills. Nothing else. And that very clearly makes axe a ranged weapon. Period.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 2

Really though, the best buff the ranger could get, would be some of the mass spam range reflects to be toned down. Quite the power creep on that side of things where people are just immune to range attacks, or everything bounces back. 

• Like 1

Well, there are mutliple factors that make Rangers quite mediocre at best (even harmful sometimes) in a Blob v Blob or similar scenario. 

1. Reflect effects. There are tons of projectile reflections in the game, especially in a larg scale setup with a Firebrand in every group. The problem with reflects is not only that it negates the damage, but that you even harm yourself/your own allies when hitting a reflect. 
2. Alternatives to deal damage without projectiles. Rangers really lack alternatives, if you want to go the DPS-route. The Ranged attacks are (as i just stated) projectiles (which you want to avoid) and the alternatives are melee. The problem with melee builds: you are not tanky enough to go on full melee (like for example a spellbreaker that actually can accomplish a melee dps-build) and will die instantly if you do so anyways. Remember: a player dying in a fight is the worst that could happen because he rallies enemy downstates
3. The next is also one of the biggest factor that speaks agains rangers (in both, dps- and support-role): The lack of effective and unique synergies with other classes. Yes, soulbeast and druid have theoretically useful abilities, BUT: they are kind of "jack of all trades". And there lies the  problem. they can do almost everything, but are at the same time not specialists at anything. Whatever a Support-Ranger (resp. druid) can do, another class that is already specialised for the zerg meta can do that better. 

The only chances i see that rangers could perhaps get viable in large scale would be: 
1. the removal of some mechanics of other classes, that get shifted onto the ranger (won´t ever happen)
2. a new mechanic for rangers, that is unique AND useful in WvW, AND
3. a new ranged weapon set the doesnt rely in projectiles 

and to be honest, 2. and 3. will actually require a new elite specialization (so won´t happen before the addon for sure) and additionally require rebalancing many other classes (resp. firebrand/scrapper in support-aspects, or revenant/necro in dps-aspects). 
I doubt that this will ever happen, even with the EoD in mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, Custodio.6134 said:

The only chances i see that rangers could perhaps get viable in large scale would be: 
1. the removal of some mechanics of other classes, that get shifted onto the ranger (won´t ever happen)
3. a new ranged weapon set the doesnt rely in projectiles 
I doubt that this will ever happen, even with the EoD in mind.

Your analysis is spot on , the fact the graphics  engine will sometimes not even show the Wall of Reflection,Chapter 3: Valiant Bulwark or even the Magnetic Aura is even offensive some times. 

About the solutions i agree point 1 will not happen, Obviously a lot of effort was done into the auramancer and actually i think is good that build exists. So i don't think it would be a positive even if Anet went that route. 

About point 2 

On 5/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, Custodio.6134 said:

The issue Ranger already has that toolset: Spirits, Celestial Avatar and Stances. 

All those utilities provide unique buffs which could be very interesting unfortunately Anet decided it was better to nerf them or to design them with impossible limitations. 

Spirits need to be mobile.

Stances to share the full duration with the friendlies.

Druid needs a rework. 

Ranger will need a couple of traits to fight against the projectile hate in game. 

And no new specialization will fix anything. If they dare to give hammer to ranger as melee the new spec will simply melt in melee or will be so busted it will be nerfed during the first months and then melt in melee. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
correction

1 hour ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Your analysis is spot on , the fact the graphics  engine will sometimes not even show the Wall of Reflection,Chapter 3: Valiant Bulwark or even the Magnetic Aura is even offensive some times. 

About the solutions i agree point 1 will not happen, Obviously a lot of effort was done into the auramancer and actually i think is good that build exists. So i don't think it would be a positive even if Anet went that route. 

About point 2 

The issue Ranger already has that toolset: Spirits, Celestial Avatar and Stances. 

All those utilities provide unique buffs which could be very interesting unfortunately Anet decided it was better to nerf them or to design them with impossible limitations. 

Spirits need to be mobile.

Stances to share the full duration with the friendlies.

Druid needs a rework. 

Ranger will need a couple of traits to fight against the projectile hate in game. 

And no new specialization will fix anything. If they dare to give hammer to ranger as melee the new spec will simply melt in melee or will be so busted it will be nerfed during the first months and then melt in melee. 

They specifically removed all the traits ranger could use to deal with the reflect/block spam so I doubt they will ever re-introduce something similar, Anet never gives back what they take away, having hope in the new EoD elite is the only chance for ranger to get something viable for zerg fights., it will probably have access to shouts

On 5/20/2021 at 6:34 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

THIS.

Examples:
1. People try to be pew pew longbow or something way off tag --- such a meme
(1b.) Running away when the rest of the squad is dead to tell the tale. --- bonus meme points

2. Running druid or core ranger with gear that isn't even useful such as wanderer's or commander's and then not stowing pet in a stealth push...
3. Playing soulbeast with projectile weapons in a melee push into a reflect
4. Staying on a wall with a longbow and running away when entire squad dies--- such a meme
5. Focusing one person that isn't even the commander and then being proud when you down someone that is instantly ressed by function gyro or other means --- happens

It's the same thing as if you try to raid and bring your openworld sustain soldier gear druid bearbow and stay max range. You will be told the same thing, maybe in an even worse fashion before you will be laughed at and kicked.

If you are serious about WvW, play immob soulbeast with Greatsword or sword+axe and stack on tag. Stow pets, immob on push, share stances (especially dolyak stance). It's that simple.

A zerg that dies to immobilize is not a threat to any kind of build...you could run naked and still win , you are simply being carried by much more useful specs and you get to play "hyena" literally....immobilize mele rangers seriously? The firsts to die during a zerg clash are those playing that spec, they are literally the easiest kill from the enemy zerg with that advertised spec...stances are down...no invulnerability, no stab ....no resistance or resolution...just target and kill as the enemy zerg retreat back. 

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Immobbeast

It's a moronic build , you literally need 2-3 scrappers+FB+scourge+tempest to hold your hand with every step...otherwise you're a free lootbag 

It has zero chance of survival if used alongside a pug zerg and that's the issue! Unless you run that sort of "build" with your buddy GvG guild carrying your kitten piggyback , the spec is never requested or necessary for any zerg

P.S no tag ever turn back and try to save those running that build, no mesmer or ele ressing for you either, I target and kill with ease all the immobi soulB tryhard, most times even before they get to clash ....I am more useful with a sniper build at this point 

Edited by Arheundel.6451
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

So I just started to play ranger in WvW two weeks ago and I don't think it is bad at all. While you are not as good as revenant in zerging you can always help with ranged and safe damage with longbow and hunt those who are away from the enemy zerg.

Very good mobility for roaming, hunting and running, and very good combinations of bursts and CC.

While I did not play druid, I have faced permaroot druids or trapper druids. They are disgusting to play against and make excellent duelers and roamers. 

So I doubt rangers are useless in WvW, perhaps they just don't match your gameplay expectations and therefore you should try another classes. I did the same with my underperforming warrior and that's how I started to play ranger.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

THIS.

Examples:
1. People try to be pew pew longbow or something way off tag --- such a meme
(1b.) Running away when the rest of the squad is dead to tell the tale. --- bonus meme points

2. Running druid or core ranger with gear that isn't even useful such as wanderer's or commander's and then not stowing pet in a stealth push...
3. Playing soulbeast with projectile weapons in a melee push into a reflect
4. Staying on a wall with a longbow and running away when entire squad dies--- such a meme
5. Focusing one person that isn't even the commander and then being proud when you down someone that is instantly ressed by function gyro or other means --- happens

It's the same thing as if you try to raid and bring your openworld sustain soldier gear druid bearbow and stay max range. You will be told the same thing, maybe in an even worse fashion before you will be laughed at and kicked.

If you are serious about WvW, play immob soulbeast with Greatsword or sword+axe and stack on tag. Stow pets, immob on push, share stances (especially dolyak stance). It's that simple.

I'm curious about this gameplay idea. Could you share more about it? Traits, gear, etc...

Edited by Telgum.6071

7 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

So I just started to play ranger in WvW two weeks ago and I don't think it is bad at all. While you are not as good as revenant in zerging you can always help with ranged and safe damage with longbow and hunt those who are away from the enemy zerg.

Very good mobility for roaming, hunting and running, and very good combinations of bursts and CC.

While I did not play druid, I have faced permaroot druids or trapper druids. They are disgusting to play against and make excellent duelers and roamers. 

So I doubt rangers are useless in WvW, perhaps they just don't match your gameplay expectations and therefore you should try another classes. I did the same with my underperforming warrior and that's how I started to play ranger.

I'm curious about this gameplay idea. Could you share more about it? Traits, gear, etc...

Have you seen https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Immobbeast
There's also one on gw2mists but that doesn't run beastmastery which I feel is a mistake.

P.S. the claim that you can snipe a full marauder + durability merged soulbeast is dubious by the above ranger player.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Safe damage... On your allies maybe, but in a Zerg fight you will only hit your allies, or nothing. There is way too much Reflect or projectile absorb in the game, especially with Dragonhunters starting to play with wall of reflection as well. Firebrand tome 4 skill 3, engineer bulwark-toolbelt, Firebrand shield 5... In any situation that you are not pushing/getting pushed there is projectile hate active. And the moment you push/get pushed tour only skill that could deal damage is rapid-fire, that still risks to go into a reflect because Firebrand usually have F3 tome up while pushing for resistance. And your only non-projectile ranged skill is longbow 5, for which you have to stand still, and it doesn't even deal that insane damage and has high cool down. Compared to a meteor shower (which has a just slightly higher channel time) deals multiple times the damage, while also having useful utility for squads using staff (blast finishers, aoe cc, non-projectile knock back, magnetic aura and fiery greatsword) while being relatively safe with mistform, twist of fate and lightning flash. 

10 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Correct. But in a duel/Roaming situation only. In large scale however you are screwed because of the projectile hate.