How is Weaver doing in PvP?

Aodlop.1907

Being a filthy Reaper main, I'd like to challenge myself for once and play a difficult spec, but I don't want to bother if, even when the spec is somewhat "mastered", it's still bottom tier and gets destroyed by everybody despite requiring three times more IQ to play.

So, I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

I've heard they have the lowest health pool, which is worrisome. Is there a way to be tanky with Weaver? How is the damage? 

What are the strengths and weaknesses? Which build & stat combinations do you recommend? Which weapon as well?

Thank you in advance.  Much love.

Edited by Aodlop.1907
  • Like 2

• Aodlop.1907 changed the title to How is Weaver doing in PvP?

watch grimjack stream, after taking a look at fireweaver build on metabattle. Class wins most match ups, reapers, spb and confusion spammers might be a little hard to deal with at first.

you don't have a lot of passive deffense like necro, you gotta blast the kitten out of your waterfields, you have a lot of projectile denial, so when necro pops their lich you can confortably afk after using focus air or earth 4 and completely deny their whole elite.

• Like 1

Weaver is great. One of the best side noders/duellists in the game. 

Weavers are at the top in terms of dmg potential. Ive seen plenty who out dmged me during games where i was pushing 400-600k dmg. 

It takes some time to learn tho since most of your defense and offense is active. Since you have relatively low health positioning and awareness is key. Dont get disheartened if you get bursted down when you get caught in fire or w/e. 

Its all about getting the muscle memory down.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Being a filthy Reaper main, I'd like to challenge myself for once and play a difficult spec, but I don't want to bother if, even when the spec is somewhat "mastered", it's still bottom tier and gets destroyed by everybody despite requiring three times more IQ to play.

So, I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

I've heard they have the lowest health pool, which is worrisome. Is there a way to be tanky with Weaver? How is the damage? 

What are the strengths and weaknesses? Which build & stat combinations do you recommend? Which weapon as well?

Thank you in advance.  Much love.

Hi mate,

I was necro main but from 3 weeks i play only ele mainly fire weaver and i must say that when you get use to it it is great fun and its a good duelist . Give it a try and if i can help you with something i will be happy

Have fun!

Edited by razaelll.8324

1 minute ago, razaelll.8324 said:

Hi mate,

I was necro main but from 3 weeks i play only ele mainly fire weaver and i must say that when you get use to it it is great fun and its a good duelist . Give it a try and if i can help you with something i will be happy

Have fun!

Mostly curious about the reasoning behind taking x weapon/talent.

Okay I can't say it with this patch but in the last season as Condi Tempest I out dps Weaver by far . This is because Arena.NETs previously  nerfs but also the current build on Meta Battle is a bunker build . It takes maximum barriers + Sage amulet + Smothering Auras which cost a lot of dmg.

I opted for team work instead of dualist with horn+ dagger  = 2 fire fields with burn condis and I also have my fire overload and the 2 on dagger. More I can't say I don't post any more builds since Arena.NET nerfed 2 of them into oblivion.

Ele? Hard class, some might even say the most difficult class in the game. Basically you arent OP, you arent carried by the class itself. You can get alot from it, but cant just smash buttons and hope its gonna work (well, actually you can, but it works only in low elo). Lots to learn, mechanics, limits (especially in term of range) and ofc cooldowns and rotations optimization. Id say that out of all classes it probably takes the most time to learn Weaver, you cant just read what skills do and then play it, theres a little bit more depth in it.
There are many builds, you can play condi fireweaver (metabattle build), power version (which is waterweaver), LR (nerfed but still okayish) and blah blah blah. Basically s/d, s/fc, d/fc, d/d, theres alot and depends whats your playstyle. There are some tricks but I dont think you will learn much from any guide. Its better to just pick a build, see what does what and take some field experience. Also read traits carefully, there are many combinations and making use of each of them is what makes average weaver a good weaver.

2 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Going from reaper to ele is going to be a huge mechanical jump, id suggest watching some guides and practicing the rotations over and over for few hrs on the golem in the mist. Cellofrag I believe has some decent guides.

Hehehe, no. I mean, yeah sure, you can lookup whatever you want buddy but I wouldnt recommend this guy. Not only my opinion as person who played power s/d since start of PoF but amongst other weavers this guy is also a laughing-stock. Pure example of smashing keyboard with your head in shiny armor pretending that you know what youre doing. No idea if hes still playing, but back in the days he was just a farming meat.

• Like 2

Fireweaver is a good intro to the class. Playing lightning rod and fresh air builds require a lot of practice, they are less effective but often more fun.

Fireweaver is one of the higher damage duelists, LR and FA builds have good damage as roamers/teamfighters, but arent quite as good as say holo or rev.

The main weakness is you are squishy and most builds require you to be in melee. As fireweaver you make up for it by having lots of evades and barrier. LR and FA have more complicated weaknesses since their effectiveness is very dependent on matchups and rotations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I've made a custom build and I've had reasonable success at not dying, which is good.

What would you change? https://bit.ly/34lojjv

Fire Trait Line:

Burning Fire has a 60sec cd in pvp and is therefore most of the time useless -> I'd go with Burning Precision, which gives a 15% percent burning duration and the burning on crit is nice when it happens every once in a while.

As some have already mentioned Smothering Auras is usually the pick -> if you feel that condis aren't that much of a problem skip it

Pyromancer Puissance adds more Might and an explosion when leaving fire attunement, which also applies burning.

I personally prefer Arcane Trait Line over Water.

The reduced Attunment cd alone is enough to prefer this trait in my opinion. I personally run Arcane Restoration, Elemental Lockdown and Evasive Arcana(condi cleanse for water dodge). Once you play with the reduced attunement recharge you can't go back. Also if you swap between Air and any other attunement you have perma swiftness.

Weaver Trait Line

I run the exact same. Some prefer Superior Elements though. 

Utilities 8-9 are in my opinion purely based in preference, other options would be Stone Resonance(Stab and Barrier), Glyph of Elemental Power(CC-Break and additional condis depending on attunement), Lightning Flash(sometimes played with dagger offhand for earth5->port on ppl) and Signet of Air(shortest CC-Break cd).

I play Sage amulet and haven't played with Carrion amulet so no idea if it's viable.

Runes are also mostly preference based some alternatives I've seen or used would be Rune of the Forge, Rune of the Weaver(sth I didn't really like, although it sounds nice in theory).

Fire weaver isn't that difficult to play. You just have to occasionally watch out and save your dodges. Immob can be a pain, and chill can be a pain.

But all in all it's just learning your weapon skills and combo fields. If you're running focus it's even easier because you have a knockdown, projectile block in wide range, projectile reflect and condition cleanse, and an invuln. You'll also have an instant fire aura that cleanses conditions. Oh.. and a castable daze with water that doesn't need los. 

I'd say dagger/focus weaver with damage on cc trait is one of the more fun builds to run and it tends to kitten people off because it's just constant damage and a ton of cc. It's defense is that it's heavily offensive.

Otherwise, your only other option is some tempest variant. I've seen all kinds from condi, to minion-oriented, to demolisher hybrid builds, to pure support auramancer, to fresh-air style dagger/scepter warhorn variants. Though most of the damage-oriented tempest builds heavily rely on Air overload and shocking aura spam/dazes. 

I really wish weaver would have gotten sword off-hand as well. We really need some more off-hands that aren't tied to elite specs. Dagger just doesn't seem to have much of a purpose in any game mode and requires a lot more skill to find decent sustain with it.

There was also some fresh/air type ele build I came across in a match the other day. I don't know if they were using macros or what but they seemed to have some insane reaction time and high damage with pretty decent sustain and invulns. They were using earth shield which accounted for some of the sustain.

I almost think I saw them use dagger charge at one point so maybe the invulns only came from earth shield? It had some pretty high cc uptime and a ton of damage. Sword/dagger or Sword/focus. So that's an option.

Easiest would be tempest and weaver will take more effort against things with easy condition cleanse since ele doesn't have that many cover conditions. Fire weaver at least. It will take some practice landing your cc abilities in a bursty way to be effective. Otherwise you'll just be tanky and do mild sprints of pressure only to be a bunker-y nuisance on a cap.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Fireweaver is a good intro to the class. Playing lightning rod and fresh air builds require a lot of practice, they are less effective but often more fun.

Fireweaver is one of the higher damage duelists, LR and FA builds have good damage as roamers/teamfighters, but arent quite as good as say holo or rev.

The main weakness is you are squishy and most builds require you to be in melee. As fireweaver you make up for it by having lots of evades and barrier. LR and FA have more complicated weaknesses since their effectiveness is very dependent on matchups and rotations.

Oh, I think you're that weaver I fought the other day. I couldn't figure out what the hell your build was. It seemed like it was a lightning-rod sword build with earth shield because I didn't see that many conditions. It was just constant pressure with few windows of opportunity to attack. lol

30 minutes ago, Baaltor.5462 said:

and Signet of Air(shortest CC-Break cd).

I mean we already get a 2 charges CD break right? Signet of Fire says it deals 10,000 damage on tooltip with its burning, this seems so huge, so I picked that instead. Thoughts?

they have a 75sec recharge for one ccBreak whereas signet 25sec -> comes down to preference, I prefer the glyph myself.

8-9 are simply preference based, and i just listed a couple of alternatives, you'll just have to play around with them to see which ones fit your playstyle -> highest dmg combination would be Signet of Fire and Glyph of Elemental Power

And yes the damage number for Signet of Fire sounds insane. 

Weaver has a very high skill ceiling. I would dare saying the highest of all other specs. You can really push the spec to perform very well  by pushing its mechanics and synergies more and more. Even after months and even years of practice you will still discover ways to unlock additional potential and pushing your game a little bit further, reacting faster, anticipating the most effective skill rotation to a situation, etc. S/F Fire weaver is a good entry build but it sill requires a lot of dedication and experience to push it to a good level.  After if you don't mind suffering to have immense fun while testing your limit, you will try Sword LR berserker.

5 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

Oh, I think you're that weaver I fought the other day. I couldn't figure out what the hell your build was. It seemed like it was a lightning-rod sword build with earth shield because I didn't see that many conditions. It was just constant pressure with few windows of opportunity to attack. lol

Yeah ive been playing that build a lot recently, it has some good 1v1 matchups. Earth shield is very strong 🤓

Ok for soloQ/grinding. Not well for AT.

Edit :

Signet of restoration is a good skill, with healing power  and constant pressure, as the passive healing works with any skill but also traits/spells (sunspot, evasive arcana, etc). So you can just AA in the void, swap attunements, to heal yourself. Ohterwise now, with the lack of healing power in PvP you probably want a more safe healing on activation, like Glyph. The aqua stance is not that bad either traited with the weaver trait, and runes of weaver.

Twist of fate is a 50%-50% very good breakstun - very risky breakstun.

Good players in front of you can just wait the end of animation and CC you a second time; because it lacks a bit of mobility during the animation and it's really predictable. So don't just turn arround your target, use the evade to actually kite melee.

Or there are "better" breakstuns weavers use now : Signet of air, low CD compared to 75sec recharge, no animation/aftercast, blindness, cool passive effect if you don't play Arcane/Air ... Glyph of elemental power isn't bad either, more offensive.

Don't use stone of resonance, this skill is garbage in pvp; it's not a breakstun, only one stack of stab, barriers cut in half ...

Water isn't bad with Fire as you can share your fire aura to allies, have some sustain/healing.

But we'd prefer Arcane :  the best source of protection for weaver which can save you for example if you're disabled, + cleanse and field combos with evasive arcana, vigor ...

Plus the 15% recharge on attunements is HUGE in weaver gameplay.

Otherwise, like every other classes...

Don't waste your unique breakstun for nothing. I know elem is squishy, and need to keep pressure, but you still want to keep it for real emergency  exactly because you're squishy.

Don't spam skills/crowd controls too soon, make sure attunement swap is ready to chain skills more effectively.  The low CD on attunements in really enjoyable, but is not instant either, still affected by chilled; so don't be too greedy, don't face-roll the keyboard.

I often see weavers that swap to fire, instant cast 2+3 and then run arround for the next 2second before  next "combo";   or they swap to water, use riptide (sword #2) don't use the water field for regen/combo ... or they use gale (air focus #5) or mud slide, earth quake (dagger, mostly on lightning rod builds) but they don't have skill ready to take advantage of the disabled foe.

It's okai ... but a good weaver isn't greedy, doesn't get fooled by the apparent frenzy, gratuity, of attunements swap and skills, and foresee the next moves.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Yeah ive been playing that build a lot recently, it has some good 1v1 matchups. Earth shield is very strong 🤓

Careful. You don't want to go telling people that because it will be on the chopping block next balance patch. lolz

8 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Excuse me for bothering you but may i ask what build are you using?

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

1 hour ago, razaelll.8324 said:

Excuse me for bothering you but may i ask what build are you using?

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGABw2h3lZw8YZsRmJW0XbvfA-zZILjMTherANGA

This is the standard LR build (or pretty close to it, some people like taking the dps traits in weaver). Dagger/focus is more common, but you can use sword/focus with pretty much the same traits and utilities.

Also twist of fate is a good alternative to air signet as your stun break

Edited by Paradoxoglanis.1904
  • Thanks 1