EoD not gonna make pvp better

Tbh Im more concerned that the devs will be too concerned about power creep given how the last two expansions started off and current balance trend of just nerfing everything to the ground and they will make super conservative boring elite specs with dull straightforward mechanics to avoid people complaining about op new stuff they don't understand.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Quadox.7834 said:

Tell that to melee

but gw2 isnt good/deep enough to not get new content

Mmo isn't the same as a platformer / brawler game. There are plenty of games that lives on without content updates. 

Chess, tetris, Mario, starcraft broodwar to mention a few. None of these are mmos though. 

18 minutes ago, Math.5123 said:

Mmo isn't the same as a platformer / brawler game. There are plenty of games that lives on without content updates. 

Chess, tetris, Mario, starcraft broodwar to mention a few. None of these are mmos though. 

We are in the PvP section slowpoke, comparing it to another PvP scene is highly relevant.

Also, though I don't play it so I can't confirm, isn't Runescape Classic alive despite a lack of updates?

Edited by Quadox.7834
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Quadox.7834 said:

We are in the PvP section slowpoke, comparing it to another PvP scene is highly relevant.

Also, though I don't play it so I can't confirm, isn't Runescape Classic alive despite a lack of updates?

Much like wow classic. Due to nostalgia. 

Edit: I also don't know how active runescape is. I do know classic wow is losing a lot of its population currently. 

Edited by Math.5123

1 minute ago, Quadox.7834 said:

1. Ignoring the main point

2. Irrelevant

We have to compare gw2 to other games within the genre. Comparing literally any game to chess will prove that a game can sustain hundreds of years without any new content. 

But that is an irrelevant observation since you can't compare apples to oranges. 

I know full well we are in the PvP section, so cool it with the tone. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Math.5123 said:

We have to compare gw2 to other games within the genre.

I never leave HoTM. I don't care about gw2 the mmo/pve game. I'm in the arena PvP section.

Comparing literally any game to chess will prove that a game can sustain hundreds of years without any new content. 

Which is why I compared it to Melee, seeing as Chess isn't mainly a video game.

But that is an irrelevant observation since you can't compare apples to oranges. 

I compared a PvP mode (in gw2) to a PvP more in a different game (Melee). I then compared an MMO game (gw2) to another MMO game (runescape classic). Both of which you dismissed for stupid reason, the latter because nostalgia apparently doesn't count - even though one of *your own* examples was Mario, a game that is carried by nostalgia.

I know full well we are in the PvP section, so cool it with the tone. 

No you don't, because when you say "MMO" what you really mean is PvE content. PvE content obviously gets old without updates much faster and more easily than PvP content, the latter of which I am discussing.

Just accept that the viability of a PvP game surviving without updates depends on several things, such as

1. Availabilty (sometimes servers get shut down, or the game is too hard to pick up, see Gunz:the duel)

2. Depth of gameplay (starcraft and smash are example of games that are fun and interesting even after years of no updates)

3. Nostalgia

The game being an MMO is not relevant except insofar as most MMOs don't have deep enough PvP gameplay to stand the test of time without the novelty of content patches. Gw2, compared to other MMOs, actually has a good foundation in this regard, but still it isn't quite there. People don't mind watching Fox vs Marth for the millionth time, but decap ranger vs prot holo, not so much.

Edited by Quadox.7834
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Quadox.7834 said:

I never leave HoTM. I don't care about gw2 the mmo/pve game. I'm in the arena PvP section.

Which is why I compared it to Melee, seeing as Chess isn't mainly a video game.

I compared a PvP mode (in gw2) to a PvP more in a different game (Melee). I then compared an MMO game (gw2) to another MMO game (runescape classic). Both of which you dismissed for stupid reason, the latter because nostalgia apparently doesn't count - even though one of *your own* examples was Mario, a game that is carried by nostalgia.

No you don't, because when you say "MMO" what you really mean is PvE content. PvE content obviously gets old without updates much faster and more easily than PvP content, the latter of which I am discussing.

Just accept that the viability of a PvP game surviving without updates depends on several things, such as

1. Availabilty (sometimes servers get shut down, or the game is too hard to pick up, see Gunz:the duel)

2. Depth of gameplay (starcraft and smash are example of games that are fun and interesting even after years of no updates)

3. Nostalgia

The game being an MMO is not relevant except insofar as most MMOs don't have deep enough PvP gameplay to stand the test of time without the novelty of content patches. Gw2, compared to other MMOs, actually has a good foundation in this regard, but still it isn't quite there. People don't mind watching Fox vs Marth for the millionth time, but decap ranger vs prot holo, not so much.

Look at wow arenas, battlegrounds, eso pvp, gw1 ha, gvg and TA. All of them are dying without content. 

3 hours ago, Math.5123 said:

Look at wow arenas, battlegrounds, eso pvp, gw1 ha, gvg and TA. All of them are dying without content. 

I dont think their pvp is dying because of lack of content.

WoW pvp is dying because its very unbalanced, unfriendly for new people, grindy , unfriendly for alts , full with boosters and win traders, also lack of good lfg system and soloq.

ESO was very very unbalanced when i played it and also unfriendly for new people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Quadox.7834 said:

Oldschool Runescape is alive, yes and its all a very fair comparison I think.

Oldschool Runescape is actually a great example; being another MMO, and being entirely driven by community polls.

Nostalgia does have some to do with it, but where it mainly went right is that there aren't many bad patches since they're all community-driven and usually require like 75% of the yes votes to pass.

Total opposite for GW2, but I think that just shows @Quadox.7834is right, and it is pretty relevant to compare SPvP to the competitive parts of different games.

Like, if you asked me to choose between no updates and the past year of PvP-specific updates, I would honestly pick no updates at all. Consistently bad updates have taken away a lot of the depth and magic from Gw2 PvP that gave it any staying power.

Other games that aren't MMOs have also done this. Overwatch, Realm Royale(If anyone remembers that)

Both implemented highly controversial updates that caused them to tank players, or in the latter's case, die completely.

Totally fair to compare all their failures when SPvP is being taken on the same wild ride.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:26 PM, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Oldschool Runescape is alive, yes and its all a very fair comparison I think.

Oldschool Runescape is actually a great example; being another MMO, and being entirely driven by community polls.

Nostalgia does have some to do with it, but where it mainly went right is that there aren't many bad patches since they're all community-driven and usually require like 75% of the yes votes to pass.

Total opposite for GW2, but I think that just shows @Quadox.7834is right, and it is pretty relevant to compare SPvP to the competitive parts of different games.

Like, if you asked me to choose between no updates and the past year of PvP-specific updates, I would honestly pick no updates at all. Consistently bad updates have taken away a lot of the depth and magic from Gw2 PvP that gave it any staying power.

Other games that aren't MMOs have also done this. Overwatch, Realm Royale(If anyone remembers that)

Both implemented highly controversial updates that caused them to tank players, or in the latter's case, die completely.

Totally fair to compare all their failures when SPvP is being taken on the same wild ride.

Yep I would prefer to remain on the PvP state of 2015 rather than get a bunch of bad-to-mediocre reworks and overhauls that haven't done anything to increase enjoyment (beyond a short period of novelty after feature releases).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

judging on the last two expacs, eod will do whats its designed to do: have a new shiny op elite spec that is borderline p2w. balance concerns will be ignored until sales drop enough. then they'll mess up balance and give thenmselves a pat on the back and not make any more big changes until they see big drops in pvp play hours.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

It could help if they finally smarten up and remove downed state from PvP.

It's been the primary problem with PvP since launch....they just refuse to want to admit it.

Even if it doesn't end up fixing PvP...it's worth a shot. It can't get any worse than it is now. A player base so low they have to have Anet bots so que's arent an hour + and when you do get in a game it's nothing but bots and hackers.

Edited by Luclinraider.2317
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

I remember PoF being the absolute worst time for pvp in the game's history. There was so much powercreep from pve that the devs didnt even know what to do with themselves. In WvW, you would touch a red circle and go from 100% HP to perma dead through downstate in less than 1.5 seconds. I quit about 1 month into PoF. The game had atrocious, unthinkably bad balance for the subsequent 2 years. 

You can expect more feature creep and power creep and at least 2 years of garbage balancing with EoD's release, I guarantee it. 

Lucky for my friends and I, we'll be playing Lost Ark :classic_biggrin:

Edited by mistsim.2748
  • Like 3

Of course its gonna make PvP better. Right now what we need is to buff up everything to counteract powerdip. If they release the expansion with (relative to the current powerdipped field) "broken" specs, maybe we can get back to a normal level of power in PvP-

• Like 3