Does this annoy you?

When mobs spawn out of then air or pop up out of the ground right on top of you?  I have noticed how this happens quite a lot in the later game and  I think it's pretty cheap.  I like my enemy's to arrive on the scene old school style, or already be present.  Is there a purpose to this apart from trolling the player or is it down to lazy programming do you think?

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

When mobs spawn out of then air or pop up out of the ground right on top of you?  I have noticed how this happens quite a lot in the later game and  I think it's pretty cheap.  I like my enemy's to arrive on the scene old school style, or already be present.  Is there a purpose to this apart from trolling the player or is it down to lazy programming do you think?

Events/enemies spawn where they always spawn, whether you're standing there or not.  If this seems like more of an issue in the later game it's likely because the enemies tend to be more of a threat, there are more of them, and they aggro from further away.  Higher damage output will help to avoid these issues as you'll be able to clear enemies long before respawn.

I will say that the increased aggro range in PoF onward does feel a bit like the game is trolling its players.  While respawns aren't an issue for me, I just don't want to have to clear every enemy within a square mile every time I stop to pick a flower!

• Like 2

How would you expect enemies to respawn? A player could be standing anywhere, so there is no potential clear spot for them to appear. If they all started at a map portal and ran to their intended location (invulnerable no doubt) that would be worse.

I'm not sure what "old school style" spawning means but it doesn't bother me whether they just appear or if there's an animation for it, as long as that makes sense (bandits burrowing out the ground for example would be weird). 

I do get things spawning on top of me fairly often but that's because I have a bad habit of stopping to chat or going afk anywhere which is currently empty and forgetting enemies could spawn. (More than once I've come back to a whisper informing me I've been reported for botting, especially on my ranger where the pet will fight back.)

I don't think it would be practical to delay or move spawn points just because a player is nearby, especially since anyone waiting for an event is going to stand where they expect it to start. 

Mobs that have been killed by previous players at that site have to come from somewhere so they can be killed by players who have just arrived. They can either appear by you or they can appear somewhere else (same issue, just moved over to a different place) and run to their spot.

If they run in from further away then there is going to a steady stream of mobs spawning elsewhere all across the map and running to where they are supposed to be and chancing getting stuck somewhere (while being invulnerable so players can’t get any benefit from attacking them).

it’s a video game. Mobs killed have to be replenished and at site respawning has the least problems. 

No it's not the mobs that respawn I'm talking more along the lines of those that wait for you to trigger (it's a trap) their arrival or you trigger them by resurrecting someone , opening a chest,  or by just entering a area, you get the idea.  This magically appearing can become a bad habit by the programmers and I don't think people realise how much immersion it robs from the game.

There is actually something similar in lake Doric.  The white mantle literally pop up out of the ground and not come charging down the kill side as you would expect.

I don't like that sort of thing.  I wondered if it annoyed anyone else.  I guess I have my answer, everyone seems as happy as Larry with it.

54 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

immersion

I was going to answer, then you pulled out the good ol' "immersion"...

Anyway, what i do find annoying in PoF is if you are traveling on a mount and pass by an enemy, they start attacking you but you're already too far away for them to hit you, the enemy sometimes simply TELEPORTS right next to you and without missing a beat attacks and hits you. So dumb.

The problem arises when even though I can kick their butts any day.  They appear usually behind you and ground me from the get go.  I never get a chance to fight back.  They keep me on my back until I'm dead.  Now, that really kisses me off.  You never get a chance to react.  I call the game out for cheating when that happens.

If they didn't pop up out of thin air that would not happen.

Now, from experience I have a good idea when the game is going to troll me like this.  And am ready for them, but not always.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

The problem arises when even though I can kick their butts any day.  They appear usually behind you and ground me from the get go.  I never get a chance to fight back.  They keep me on my back until I'm dead.  Now, that really kisses me off.  You never get a chance to react.  I call the game out for cheating when that happens.

If they didn't pop up out of thin air that would not happen.

Now, from experience I have a good idea when the game is going to troll me like this.  And am ready for them, but not always.

Which mobs do that?  I'm not a superb player but I simply haven't encountered this.  I play zoomed out, I keep game sounds on, and if anything appears in my vicinity I both see it and hear its "I want to attack you" sound.  Also if something attacks me I tend to attack it back, not just keep moving and soaking damage.  (As to soaking damage, I don't play glass cannons, so there's not much in the game that can hurt me so much I have no chance to fight back).

Are you dealing with HoT mobs you can't see?  There's a mastery track that makes them permanently visible to you.

I am genuinely curious and trying to help you troubleshoot this situation.

Nono, I'm talking about the occasional mob that spams knock down not all of them.  Yeah , like me I am at a point now I can take on vet mobs and rip them a new newspaper cutting.  I feel sorry for any mob or critter that get's in my way.  But the game won't let you do kitten when your flat on your back.  I mean kitten, I was bested my a kitten mushroom.  Can you believe that?  beaten by a mushroom?  All because the game took away any control I had over the situation.  Banged me over and over, never got a chance to get on my feet.  I'm sure that little kitten was spawned out of thin air too.  🙂

Anyway, this is going completely off topic.

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Nono, I'm talking about the occasional mob that spams knock down not all of them.  Yeah , like me I am at a point now I can take on vet mobs and rip them a new newspaper cutting.  I feel sorry for any mob or critter that get's in my way.  But the game won't let you do kitten when your flat on your back.  I mean kitten, I was bested my a kitten mushroom.  Can you believe that?  beaten by a mushroom?  All because the game took away any control I had over the situation.  Banged me over and over, never got a chance to get on my feet.  I'm sure that little kitten was spawned out of thin air too.  🙂

Anyway, this is going completely off topic.

Maybe you should invest in so skills that break you out of knockdowns and the like?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stun_break

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Maybe you should invest in so skills that break you out of knockdowns and the like?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stun_break

Yawn! yeah whatever.  Zzzzzzzzzzz

I get out there and do it on my own pal.  I don't run around in the safety of a hundred other players.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Yawn! yeah whatever.  Zzzzzzzzzzz

I get out there and do it on my own pal.  I don't run around in the safety of a hundred other players.

All the more reason to have atleast 1 stunbreak in your build bud.

But you do you and die to a shroom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

What's that?  I'm not familiar.

Itst not in gw2 to ky knowledge, but is in other mmos. It prevents mobs from spawning near you. It's annoying when you know where a mob spawns and are waiting for it.

12 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Nothing to do with lazy programming, imo.  It's same technique that's been used in  various MMORPGs, knowing where enemy spawns at ensure that they're predictable.  So, you won't leave your character in an area that they spawn in.   Like for me it rarely happens, because I know to  observe the enemy or destroy them before 'parking' my character somewhere.   If I wiped out an enemy group, I know they have the potential  spawn in the same spot I killed them.  So, I go somewhere else, like the guild hall when I need to afk.   Then I return back later  😄

On the topic of the villain's entre, Tyria's spawns are one of the more involved - chaks jumping out of their nests, undead grubs crawling burrowing out of the ground, intelligent creatures like human factions using mesmer portals to arrive right in the action... - which are about as immersive as they're not, because all these sudden appearances always look like they'd make any sort of fortification completely useless - and, in the most plot-fortunate instances, they happen to do - but they still possess the utter magnificence of ANet's animation quality.

As for Your highness getting shroom'd to the ground - even the simplest moron with a fork can cost you an eye or life.
You're not better than said shroom on the basis of what You are, but because You're capable of using said qualities to Your advantage and actively counter whatever the lowly floral fauna throws at You.
With practice, it'll become second nature.
Without it, You'll become second to nature.

For if You stubbornly believe Yourself to be a god, the universe will be exactly as keen on seeing the proof.
And that hasn't exactly turned out well for any deity so far.

Doesn't mean You can't get there eventually.
Still, starting at the end means Your back's turned the wrong way, ripe for getting stabbed.
So eyes on the prey, not the horizon.

The cool breeze here on Olympus is totally worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

All the more reason to have atleast 1 stunbreak in your build bud.

But you do you and die to a shroom.

I use the simple method of hitting shroud.  It's great for countering things that spam stuff.  It gives the opportunity to get in position and hit your rotation , but here is my point, you at least need the chance to get that one in.

The game has HARD enemy and it has STUPID enemy.  A example of hard enemy's are the ghost warriors in Draggonfall.  Dude, if they catch you out your in for a very difficult fight.  But, they don't pop up out of thin air.  If you survey your next destination through the heat haze and smoke you can just make them out patrolling.  They also telegraph the point they are about to materialise.  A hard, stealthy enemy done right.

And then there's the STUPID enemy which the game has more than it's share.  Let's take that awakened guy who can dive into he ground and come back up a mile away through solid rock and kitten you.  He also spams this skill and can follow you for miles.  That there is a enemy with a 'I win' button.  Only the other day I rescued a downed mentor that was on the receiving end of one of those STUPID things.

The mushroom event was partly my own fault, I should have had my thing out.  If my thing had been out it would have interrupted the mushrooms charge giving me time to recover.  

Funny, I often see someone on their rear while wandering through Hots and it's usually a bloody mushroom.  🙂

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

No it's not the mobs that respawn I'm talking more along the lines of those that wait for you to trigger (it's a trap) their arrival or you trigger them by resurrecting someone , opening a chest,  or by just entering a area, you get the idea.  This magically appearing can become a bad habit by the programmers and I don't think people realise how much immersion it robs from the game.

There is actually something similar in lake Doric.  The white mantle literally pop up out of the ground and not come charging down the kill side as you would expect.

I don't like that sort of thing.  I wondered if it annoyed anyone else.  I guess I have my answer, everyone seems as happy as Larry with it.

They did a nice job on chak I guess... Chak usually camouflage themselves and attach to wall ceiling and pipes... If you go near the area, they reveal themselves from camo and jump at you... Were you expecting that kind of ambush?