When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

2 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The devs NEVER said there would never be mounts. The most they ever said was there would be no mounts a launch.

The devs DID say (and I'm paraphrasing here) that the amount of effort, time and money would be a very large investment for an update that wouldn't really change the game very much.

The user base said we'd never have mounts. The devs never did. Not the same situation.

They have also said with the riding toys that they will be the closest things we will get to mounts as well. But still, we kept having threads pretty much exactly like this with the same type of complaints about why it will never be in the game, and look where we are now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Esorono.1039 said:

They have also said with the riding toys that they will be the closest things we will get to mounts as well. But still, we kept having threads pretty much exactly like this with the same type of complaints about why it will never be in the game, and look where we are now.

Mounts fundamentally changed the game across every map. Tengu will change nothing for most people. They'll look different. Anet won't invest the time/money/and energy. They gave specific reasons why they wouldn't add a race.  

I know some people really want one. They're deluding themselves and they won't be happy when it doesn't happen.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Mounts fundamentally changed the game across every map. Tengu will change nothing for most people. They'll look different. Anet won't invest the time/money/and energy. They gave specific reasons why they wouldn't add a race.  

I know some people really want one. They're deluding themselves and they won't be happy when it doesn't happen.

Yes, a game where the endgame is cosmetics, cosmetics don't matter. Well, might as well toss out all the weapon and armor skins then and make the only race human. XD I swear the arguments I have heard against this is absolutely stupid.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Esorono.1039 said:

Yes, a game where the endgame is cosmetics, cosmetics don't matter. Well, might as well toss out all the weapon and armor skins then and make the only race human. XD I swear the arguments I have heard against this is absolutely stupid.

Making a whole new set of cosmetics or a whole new race, starting from scratch, a race that would always be behind, that's truly ridiculous.  Making a new armor skin or weapon skin adds to what existing characters can use. Unless they make the body type exactly identical to another race, that race will always be behind and people will complain. They'll be unhappy.

So what you're really saying is let's put in a kitten race, spend more money eternally on voice acting for it and making extra skins for it, six sets instead of five in perpetuity? In what world is this a good idea? Because you want it? Because 15% of the playerbase wants it?   Unless more than half the playerbase wanted it, they shouldn't do it and Anet should make sure the players that want it know exactly what they'd be giving up to get it.   My guess is most people wouldn't go for it.

So yeah I think not adding Tengu to this game is really really smart.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Making a whole new set of cosmetics or a whole new race, starting from scratch, a race that would always be behind, that's truly ridiculous.  Making a new armor skin or weapon skin adds to what existing characters can use. Unless they make the body type exactly identical to another race, that race will always be behind and people will complain. They'll be unhappy.

So what you're really saying is let's put in a kitten race, spend more money eternally on voice acting for it and making extra skins for it, six sets instead of five in perpetuity? In what world is this a good idea? Because you want it? Because 15% of the playerbase wants it?   Unless more than half the playerbase wanted it, they shouldn't do it and Anet should make sure the players that want it know exactly what they'd be giving up to get it.   My guess is most people wouldn't go for it.

So yeah I think not adding Tengu to this game is really really smart.

Three sets, see page 10, comment 2. I already debunked that argument, not going to repeat myself. At least a new race would generate hype, a lot more than what Cantha is currently doing. 🙂 Fishing is a joke. Or at least it would be if other MMORPGs even cared about it like new races.

• Like 1

EoD is an ending. If they were going to add a new race, it would be in an expansion after EoD that could serve as a new beginning. It's unlikely however that they'd ever add Tengu specifically, since they would just end up being another Charr. Something not in the current game is far more likely, and probably something androgynous without a m/f option.

2 minutes ago, Esorono.1039 said:

Three sets, see page 10, comment 2. I already debunked that argument, not going to repeat myself. At least a new race would generate hype, a lot more than what Cantha is currently doing. 🙂 Fishing is a joke. Or at least it would be if other MMORPGs even cared about it like new races.

A new race wouldn't generate hype for the vast majority of players in my opinion.  I think the percentage is smaller than you think.  And plenty of people ask for fishing, btw over the years. You prefer tengu. Others might prefer fishing. One of the biggest issues MMOs face is that people who really want something badly assume that it would cause hype. It would cause you hype. It would cause the demographic you belong to hype. But no one really can say how big that demographic actually is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Vayne.8563 said:

A new race wouldn't generate hype for the vast majority of players in my opinion.  I think the percentage is smaller than you think.  And plenty of people ask for fishing, btw over the years. You prefer tengu. Others might prefer fishing. One of the biggest issues MMOs face is that people who really want something badly assume that it would cause hype. It would cause you hype. It would cause the demographic you belong to hype. But no one really can say how big that demographic actually is.

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my god you think it wouldn't generate hype compared to fishing! XD I literally can't! I can't take you seriously, just stop messaging me. I'm literally still hearing about female Hrothgar and male Viera constantly, half of the guild I am left the game to go play Hrothgar and Viera when they were released. I played ESO a lot, did you know that many people there don't even know fishing was a thing, and those that did never cared for it? I am not even sure if fishing is a thing in FF14, you know why? No one talks about it. 🙂 Hype? No, not even comparable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Esorono.1039 said:

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my god you think it wouldn't generate hype compared to fishing! XD I literally can't! I can't take you seriously, just stop messaging me. I'm literally still hearing about female Hrothgar and male Viera constantly, half of the guild I am left the game to go play Hrothgar and Viera when they were released. I played ESO a lot, did you know that many people there don't even know fishing was a thing, and those that did never cared for it? I am not even sure if fishing is a thing in FF14, you know why? No one talks about it. 🙂 Hype? No, not even comparable.

Just now, Esorono.1039 said:

Since I never said what you said I said, you need to read more carefully.   I said that a smaller percentage of people than you think would be hyped for a new race, and I also said some people have asked for fishing.  Not sure where you pulled the rest of that from, but trying to laugh and ridicule someone simply because you disagree doesn't make you a hero. Nor will it gather any kind of support for what you want.

It doesn't really matter if you think what I'm saying is wrong. You're not going to get your race regardless. On that, feel free to get the last word.  I'm done here.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Esorono.1039 said:

And you have bad memory! Not even going to bother arguing it with a new post. Page 10, post 2. And sure, it worked so poorly for FF14, that is why the game is doing so badly. XD

Please for the love of Pete, people need to stop comparing GW2 to FFXIV.  They are two completely different business models.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Vayne.8563 said:

Since I never said what you said I said, you need to read more carefully.   I said that a smaller percentage of people than you think would be hyped for a new race, and I also said some people have asked for fishing.  Not sure where you pulled the rest of that from, but trying to laugh and ridicule someone simply because you disagree doesn't make you a hero. Nor will it gather any kind of support for what you want.

It doesn't really matter if you think what I'm saying is wrong. You're not going to get your race regardless. On that, feel free to get the last word.  I'm done here.

Good, because I cannot take you seriously. But, they already have dialog that indicate that they have plans for the Tengu at the EoD. But sure, enjoy fishing.

The sad part about this thread ... people have convinced themselves demanding something is reason enough to get it. Sure are some entitled people floating around. The real win here is when there isn't a playable Tengu race because it's a low value proposition. No entitlement changes that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

The sad part about this thread ... people have convinced themselves demanding something is reason enough to get it. Sure are some entitled people floating around. The real win here is when there isn't a playable Tengu race because it's a low value proposition. No entitlement changes that. 

Yeah yeah, and you think giving weak excuses why it cannot happen because you personally don't want to see it, is fun. 

I wonder why some people here are adamantly against having the tengu race and all i can think about is that they ate too many KFCs or Popeye's chicken in their life and made them afraid that they will have nightmares from playing GW2 when seeing their characters surrounded by anthromorphic, talking chickens..

and their reasons are what?

1.) low value

2.) not a priority

3.) will break the game

yo, these should be the vocal reasons from A.NET themselves.

but no..

also A.NET gave us gamebreaking stuffs and made it normal. 

Lotsa Stuffs..

Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Chip.9267 said:

If no one cares about Tengu why this topic has 4.8k views?

Probably to see how ridiculous the discussion gets. At this point, some very dishonest people are just inventing things other people say to tell them they are wrong. It's a childish tactic. Perhaps dishonest people think getting the last word in a forum is the 'win' they need to get Tengu. That's evident from the level of entitlement being demonstrated by the apparent theory that demanding something is what gets you things you want in an MMO ... and nothing else matters. 

I think the best part of the thread is that people are asking Anet, a business organization that makes it's revenues from offering value with content they develop, to include a playable Tengu race while disregarding the fact this is a business that needs to offer enough value to customers with content that has a reasonable cost to develop to even exist. Apparently 'development costs' and 'content value' are irrelevant factors to consider according to some said dishonest people. Ignorance of these factors suggests a significant lack of care for the health of the game. 

I'm sure we can all take trust that Anet DOES care for the game, enough to not introduce high cost developments that have no-value to players, regardless of how many people insist they want it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Probably to see how ridiculous the discussion gets

If you dont care about something you dont enter to see the result becouse ... YOU DONT CARE! I want Tengu playable for race diversity(in other MMOS, they change the head put a new tail and baam...a new race)and to explore Dominion of winds. I will buy atleast 2 char slots for Tengu when they will be playable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Chip.9267 said:

If you dont care about something you dont enter to see the result becouse ... YOU DONT CARE! I want Tengu playable for race diversity(in other MMOS, they change the head put a new tail and baam...a new race)and to explore Dominion of winds. I will buy atleast 2 char slots for Tengu when they will be playable.

Well, that would be nice but the fact is that race diversity offers very little to players. A new story line (which Anet can already offer with the current races within the current framework of the game) ... at the cost of addition race support, likely through the maintenance/rework of skins and other associated artwork. At best, the request can be filed under 'luxuries' ... so when Anet is rolling in more money than they know what to do with, maybe they can get to it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

I would love to see Tengu as a new race. And whenever I hear, that it would be hard to implement due to the story arc, it makes me more and more angry.

From the very start of Living Story 1 I hated it. I hated the narrative, I hated Scarlet, I hated the characters, I hated the pacing, everything. It didn't get better when I played HoT for the first time and learned that I've been stuck with the living story characters as my companions. Whenever I look at this and trying to see it with the eyes of a player who jumped from the end of the personal story to HoT, there is this feeling of "this is just confusing" All these characters popping out of nowhere and are best buddies with our character. I would like to see this story arc finally come to an end. Leaving everyone behind and start a totally new chapter with new characters in a small periods of time.

Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall did a great job doing so. As a Prophecies character you travel with a couple of your henchman (which had only a very minor role in the story) to Cantha. Most of them move in the background and make room for other new characters like Danika or Master Togo. The only consistent one is Mhenlo, which is more than enough for the narrative. Same goes with Nightfall, where you leave everything behind you. Your character is still the character you played, because he/she still comments about things happened in the past. But you leave your former adventures behind and you focus on the story in front of you. Guild Wars 2 doesn't do that. One reason is the Living Story.  And yes: I'm totally aware of the Living Story being the link between expansions. And yes: I'm also aware that Guild Wars 1 has with Factions and Nightfalls stand-alone campaigns  and Guild Wars 2 has expansions. The biggest mistake in my opinion as a dedicated hobby author. 

With that being said: I really hope, that we finally can put this whole commander thing with all it represents behind us. Let End of Dragons truely be the end and make space for new stuff, which is currently blocked by this form of "narrative" – like a new race and a stand alone campaign just like in Guild Wars 1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chip.9267 said:

If it's only for diversity, and not story/lore, then a combat tonic should be sufficient.

• Like 1

This obsession with the Tengu must stop, no one actually wants Tengu as playable race, not even the Tengu want the Tengu to be a playable race.  Let them focus on things that we actually want, like shiny things.  No more demands for Tengu, we have good races that are fun but the clipping armour is bad.  It will be worse with Tengu. 

• Like 2