When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

49 minutes ago, Zappix.7928 said:

This obsession with the Tengu must stop, no one actually wants Tengu as playable race, not even the Tengu want the Tengu to be a playable race.  Let them focus on things that we actually want, like shiny things.  No more demands for Tengu, we have good races that are fun but the clipping armour is bad.  It will be worse with Tengu. 

I want tengu. Others in this thread want tengu, others in this thread do not. You dont speak for everyone, I dont speak for everyone. Dont project your desires as a majority.

historically, more people want tengu than dont(At least via the forum requests, i went through and counted unique responses once upon a time.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

BUT there is a big difference for the ppl who will like to play another race , to get to play one will be wanderful. For ppl who dont want one they can ignore it. And stop with the amount of work, lore, bla bla, you dont work at ANET or get profit from what they are releasing, and you dont know if you will get something else in return in that time. Lots of other mmos are doing it and i doubt is for nothing. I to love GW2 and i want ANET to be succesful.

• Sad 1

During the EOD 1st things were mentioned like replay value, update to DX11, fishing and not the end of GW2 as they view EOD as the next big stepping stone of this franchise and plenty of more things to come…

So, adding a new race makes sense be it Tengu or another one in this expansion or the next one. However, Tengu is at the top of the list from what I am reading.

Now, 1st we do not work with or for ANET. I am getting tired of players saying No and a bunch of excuses again you do not work for ANET or NCSoft.

If innovative/creative companies listens to the “you can’t do it, too much work, not enough ROI, no one wants that, no customers for your product.

Well… then we would not have iPod, Apple, WOW, Movies like John Wick, Resident Evil, Marvel Movies, Boxers like Manny Pacquiao aka PacMan that he is too old but to be honest he will win and can beat them all even ducky Spence.

Anyway back to this topic, some wanted Kodan as a playable race ANET settled it with a combat Tonic so that playable race is off the table.

Now some want Tengu or another playable race so we shall see if that is possible and only ANET knows if they will look into this; however, they have not said no … yet.  (That confirmation was already provided in previous pages by other players) Also there is evidence that ANET had Tengu as a playable race.

Again all this talk about it can’t be done, too much work, does not make sense; however, ANET is the creator and if they want they can make it work to make sense.

Some asked for Fishing, mounts, flying but we got gliding, WvW Alliance and many said no with the same feedback – yet we have them.

So for those that keep saying no too much work… what do you want that will help this game? You want more loots, gear, dungeons, raids, etc… why not post.

So let the players ask/post what and keep the posts alive then let us see want ANET decide or provide feedback.

I am sure a good amount of players that said no … no new race would be the 1st to create one and play it and say wow this is great, love it!

If we don’t ask and keep posts alive such as WvW Alliance Posts then we will not know if we get it or not but if you never post then you will never know at all.

Keep posting.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Considering the amount of posts about Tengu being a race as well as potential others, I would say Anet has a challenge of figuring out how to implement such a thing. They have stated they do want to give the players what they want. Let’s see what the future brings.

Looking at all the most repeated requests for things that arent settings or items they only have a few to add, and they are:

Tengu, Land Spears(or any new weapon type), Housing. Thats really it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

I want tengu. Others in this thread want tengu, others in this thread do not. You dont speak for everyone, I dont speak for everyone. Dont project your desires as a majority.

historically, more people want tengu than dont(At least via the forum requests, i went through and counted unique responses once upon a time.)

But you don't want Tengu, no one does and that's the law so you need to accept that.

• Like 1

I keep saying the same thing:

We dont need the new race to be able to wear all different armor skins. Half of the current skins arent used. We dont need the new race to be able to do the entire story from Zaithan to IBS, that would not make sense. Because they werent there before. The new race could have limitations I think many of us would be fine with it. 

For example Tengu. Give the new race a personal starting point in the dominion of Winds. Let the PC finds out how the entire world was during its lockdown. Give it a personal short story. And join the other races from for example EoD and onward. No need for vigil, priory etc.  Give the Tengu 10 different armor sets of armor it can unlock. Give them the possibility to wear the legendary armors ( no need for the precursors because its in the legendary armory). I think weapons skins are not an issue, but im no expert. And boom people are happy.

Many people say they dont want it. Well.... still a big amount of people wouldnt even blink their eyes and pay for a Tengu AddOn to the game. Its a missed opportunity. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

not wanting Tengu is like not wanting your phone plan to make free calls to anywhere in the European Union..

it will be a new content. you won't program or make this new content. A.NET will (possibly) make it happen. you'll just play it and have access to it.. they'll just modify some things, add story path (probably most from a little mod from existing/shelved instances), do some graphix programming (as other says, building up on a non-human mesh aka charr)..

yo, new content and you don't want?

they add fishing and you're being sarcastic commenting on fishing..

Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, alcopaul.2156 said:

not wanting Tengu is like not wanting your phone plan to make free calls to anywhere in the European Union..

it will be a new content. you won't program or make this new content. A.NET will (possibly) make it happen. you'll just play it and have access to it.. they'll just modify some things, add story path (probably most from a little mod from existing/shelved instances), do some graphix programming (as other says, building up on a non-human mesh aka charr)..

yo, new content and you don't want?

they add fishing and you're being sarcastic commenting on fishing..

I  wouldent want that the price of that phone plan would be humongous.

And if I dont make a new character it will be content I cant experince instead of content for everyone.

If i dont play raids or pvp i dont go on threads that are requesting them to be more and better to say that i dont want them because i dont play them. I 'm sure that are lots of ppl who enjoy that content i dont play. So stop being selfish...

Edited by Chip.9267
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Chip.9267 said:

If i dont play raids or pvp i dont go on threads that are requesting them to be more and better to say that i dont want them because i dont play them. I 'm sure that are lots of ppl who enjoy that content i dont play. So stop being selfish...

How much new raid or pvp content have you seen the last years?

Not much because its not for everyone same as a new race would not be for everyone and even then there is plenty of people going in and saying no new content should be made for it.

Anet devs have even said that a new race dont bring enough into the game for the resources they take to implement. ( If it was not tied to the story as much as it is and they could just plop on a new head on the same body type like other games do new races would be easy to implement)

Im sure if people were willing to crowdfound it could get implemented but do we really want to go down that route?

Edit

Why I replied what I did was the one I quoted said it would be new content with a new race but thats not true unless you make a new character.

A raid or pvp you can experience regardless of race of your toon.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Chip.9267 said:

If i dont play raids or pvp i dont go on threads that are requesting them to be more and better to say that i dont want them becouse i dont play them. I 'm sure that are lots of ppl who enjoy that content i dont play. So stop beeing selfish...

How you post on forums is your own business, attempting to regulate how others comment is outside of your jurisdiction (and equally mine). Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with wanting your personal interests to be prioritized in a game you invest your time and money in. 

The main reason that people are against a playable new race (other than the tonic) is that they are concerned that Anet (as any gaming studio) have a finite amount of resources. This means that if they put some of those resources into a new playable race (which, let's face it, is just a different cosmetic rather than gameplay feature) then there are fewer of those developer hours available to work on other aspects of the game like new weapons and armour, new masteries, maps, story etc. We see it as opportunity cost, you don't get one without sacrificing something elsewhere in the game and quite frankly, that's not a price we want to pay.

Edited by MarshallLaw.9260
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

^ pile up 11 individual living story episodes development time and that's your whole Tengu package..

and they can do trickling updates to fully integrate the Tengu.. 

also they can even introduce the Tengu after EoD goes live as a mid update/mini expac..

Edited by alcopaul.2156

9 hours ago, Chip.9267 said:

BUT there is a big difference for the ppl who will like to play another race , to get to play one will be wanderful. For ppl who dont want one they can ignore it. And stop with the amount of work, lore, bla bla, you dont work at ANET or get profit from what they are releasing, and you dont know if you will get something else in return in that time. Lots of other mmos are doing it and i doubt is for nothing. I to love GW2 and i want ANET to be succesful.

You're right I don't work at Anet. And do you now who told us it would be too much work and not worth it. Anet. They do work at Anet. 

You don't work at Anet either, so I'll have to believe Anet employees when they say stuff like this.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

You're right I don't work at Anet. And do you now who told us it would be too much work and not worth it. Anet. They do work at Anet. 

When did Anet told that there will never be Tengu or a new race becouse its to much work? They can clarify this right away. 

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

How much new raid or pvp content have you seen the last years?

It was just a sample... i do wish more things to do in Gw2, raids, new pvp maps... they will bring more ppl to the game and i think a new race will do that also. 

16 minutes ago, Chip.9267 said:

When did Anet told that there will never be Tengu or a new race becouse its to much work? They can clarify this right away. 

This interview here is were Colin said it.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/87848/guild-wars-2-director-discusses-heart-of-thorns-revenants-guild-halls-and-more

And it really havent changed all these years later mate.

• Like 1

Posters on here shouldn't take things so seriously.  Anet aren't going to make Tengu a playable race, too many resources, doesn't really connect in with all the personal story, expansions and various other stuff related to that.  The armour would clip too much and people will complain about that instead of the balancing issues in game.  Sure people want Tengu to be playable but a lot of us from GW1 only liked the Tengu because of feather farming.  Maybe a Tengu tonic that can be used in battle is a good middle ground to keep those demanding Tengu passive and happy.  

8 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Citation needed.

Dai, if you talk to her in the Hall of Monuments, she will talk about them going back to their lands once the threat of the elder dragons are over. Slightly less convincing as it might just be the one tribe, it's fairly ambiguous, granted tengu tribes are pretty dang large and 'south' relative to Drizzlewood is pretty much anywhere. However, unlike in HoT, where they shot down the idea of the DoW opening the gates, she echos the vanilla tengu about the possibility of opening the gates. Which has been something the newer tengu have been avoiding humoring in past vanilla up until now. And this is usually used in foreshadowing future events in most writing such as, books, games, and mmorpgs. I know that A-Net's writing can be a bit bad, they make extremely fun games, but story is definitely not their strong suit. But we get this thread about once a month, and generally their individual dialog has some thought put into it. They aren't going to talk about a migration at the end of the dragon's threats and then also echo about the possibility of opening the gates from the same NPC after each post vanilla tengu pushing down the idea, and go nowhere with it. If you have about half a dozen old NPC's talk about the possibility of going opening DoW and not planning on doing anything with it, you would want to stop adding more. They'd use the more recent type of dialog which has been on the lines of 'We do not trust anyone, we don't have any plans on opening the gates.' You don't then later go 'You know, I hope they open their gates soon.' They pretty much immediately tell people who are learning to write never to do that as it places an expectation that is never met. A similar comparison would be if in a movie there was a rifle mounted on a wall, and have someone go 'I am not going to use this ever.' Then pan into it several times and never use it. They might not be planning to make them playable at the moment, but there is indication that something involving them is going to happen post EoD.

1 hour ago, Zappix.7928 said:

Posters on here shouldn't take things so seriously.  Anet aren't going to make Tengu a playable race, too many resources, doesn't really connect in with all the personal story, expansions and various other stuff related to that.  The armour would clip too much and people will complain about that instead of the balancing issues in game.  Sure people want Tengu to be playable but a lot of us from GW1 only liked the Tengu because of feather farming.  Maybe a Tengu tonic that can be used in battle is a good middle ground to keep those demanding Tengu passive and happy.  

Thats also been asked for in most of the threads, even i would be fine with a tengu combat tonic, we dont have even a regular tengu tonic(we got multiple kodan ones now though, another race that players have asked for too.).

23 hours ago, Zappix.7928 said:

But you don't want Tengu, no one does and that's the law so you need to accept that.

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Gonna need a /s if you are. But in case you arent: I do want tengu, and i have for a loooooong time, since GW1 actually. Loved what lore they had, want to experience more of it via playing as one.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:54 PM, dragonkain.3984 said:

When we can get a new race? Pretty much never, that's why I stopped playing this game long ago. It never provides us with what we actually want, only what they think we should get.

If you don't enjoy the game in the first place, the new race isn't changing that.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:23 PM, Dante.1763 said:

While the first part is true, the second is a bit of a weird take, seeing how people won't randomly go to forums just to say "I dont want new race in the game" -just because there are threads about "wanting playable tengus", it doesn't mean majority of the playerbase wants it 😛 

For example (and that's also my actual position on this): I don't have much against the existance of tengu as a playable race BUT I'd rather have the devs use the time, effort and other resources for different things than the new race that in the end doesn't really change much about the gameplay. So I'm kind of against the new playable race, not because having it would somehow destroy the game for me, but because it's a fairly weak cosmetic addition that doesn't influence much of a gameplay. It also pulls in new low level race-specific maps, which is just more resources going into that introductory content instead of the high level/endgame one.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you don't enjoy the game in the first place, the new race isn't changing that.

While the first part is true, the second is a bit of a weird take, seeing how people won't randomly go to forums just to say "I dont want new race in the game" -just because there are threads about "wanting playable tengus", it doesn't mean majority of the playerbase wants it 😛 

For example (and that's also my actual position on this): I don't have much against the existance of tengu as a playable race BUT I'd rather have the devs use the time, effort and other resources for different things than the new race that in the end doesn't really change much about the gameplay.

On that i dont have an issue with the statement, just as those of us who want them can state we do, so to can you say you want dev time spent on other things(tis how i feel about fishing), its the statements like this however that i take issue with, and with no way to read tone, i cant tell if this, or their follow up posts are sarcastic or not.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:32 AM, Zappix.7928 said:

This obsession with the Tengu must stop, no one actually wants Tengu as playable race, not even the Tengu want the Tengu to be a playable race.