Thank You for Gen 3 Legendaries

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Um, that's literally wrong based on the fact they purposefully put the 's' at the end of Set in that statement to indicate that in FACT, we will get multiple sets (themes) for legendary weapons across all weapons.

No. Multiple (as in, more than one) sets of legendary weapons and precursors. So, one set of legendaries and one set of precursors already make two sets. The 's' plural.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Well we get one for free kinda. The precursor at least. I'll pick whatever the new Thief weapon is, which is probably offhand sword, and skin it with Dreamwalker Sword. And ignore the rest.

It's a shame that it's strike 3 for swords for me, I don't like any of the 3. 😞 

I was really hoping for a cool Cantha themed one.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. Multiple (as in, more than one) sets of legendary weapons and precursors. So, one set of legendaries and one set of precursors already make two sets. The 's' plural.

How it's written does not indicate that. Multiple sets of means many sets of whatever is being described. In this case, what is being describe is BOTH precursors and Legendaries. Therefore, both the leg weapon and precursor make one set and there are many of those. That's the correct way to interpret what was written by Anet. 

If Anet just meant one set, they wouldn't have said multiple. It would have simply said "A set of legendary weapons and precursors ... " Let's put it this way, using the word multiple in the way you describe is incorrect. Whether that's an error by Anet to mean what you say, or in intrepretation issue by players ... either case, no one should assume the worst case shows we won't have multiple sets of themes for leg weapons moving forward just to make a point they don't like this implementation or there isn't upside for Anet and players. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

On 8/1/2021 at 4:11 PM, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

That said, on behalf of the rest of the player community who enjoys such things, I think you've really bungled this.  In fantasy role playing games, what makes an item "legendary" is its uniqueness, in terms of the powers (in most games at least), appearance, animations, and lore that it brings to your game play.  This set utterly lacks any of that uniqueness and as such is simply NOT suitable as legendary gear. As others have said, when I first saw the reveal of these weapons, my immediate reaction was, "It's a black lion skin, and not a very good one for my particular aesthetic tastes."  Very disappointing.  The other obvious reason to avoid having a singular aesthetic is that with unique designs, if a player doesn't like the sword design, they might instead still choose to use the axe.  Your gen 3 weapons provide no such options.

I understand the rest of the critique, and whilst I disagree, it's actually better structured that most posts I've seen.

However Ima have to stop you on that bolded part. Legendary Gear in many video games will take on 2 approaches

-Unique Design per Weapon Type (eg. Gen 1 and Gen 2 Legendaries)

-Legendary Gear Set (eg. Gen 3 Legendaries, or the best example, MHW: Iceborne Legendary Black Dragon Weapon Set, Safi'jiiva Weapon Set, Alatreon Weapon set etc.)

Just because something is a "set piece" doesn't make it any less legendary than an individual design. So in this case, the Aurene set is still a Legendary set as it was created to be such. No one can argue that fact because that's literally how the developers designed them, regardless if people dislike them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

How it's written does not indicate that. Multiple sets of means many sets of whatever is being described. In this case, what is being describe is BOTH precursors and Legendaries. Therefore, both the leg weapon and precursor make one set and there are many of those. That's the correct way to interpret what was written by Anet. 

No. That's the way you want to interpret it. It's no more or less correct than mine.

If Anet just meant one set, they wouldn't have said multiple.

And they did not say that. They said "new spectacular sets of third generation legendary weapons and precursors."

It would have simply said "A set of legendary weapons and precursors ... "

Which pretty much they did. Except they said "sets" - but it does not imply sets of legendaries and sets of precursors. It can as easily mean sets (two) of legendaries (first) and precursors (second).

Let's put it this way, using the word multiple in the way you describe is incorrect. Whether that's an error by Anet to mean what you say, or in intrepretation issue by players ... either case, no one should assume the worst case shows we won't have multiple sets of themes for leg weapons moving forward just to make a point they don't like this implementation or there isn't upside for Anet and players. 

And if you actually bothered to look back at what Anet actually said, you'd have known that the world "multiple" was not used by them, but added by people that wanted that one specific interpretation to be true (and then used by me again, because i was responding to its use).

Anet has been known in the past to make statements that promised what they said, but not what they suggested. They have done it many, many times over already. So, my base reaction is to treat what they say as face value and do not expect things they haven't said. And so far i saw them talking only about the Aurene set, not anything more. As such, unless they will come out and say "that won't be all there is to that" i will assume that, yes, it is all we're going to get.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

My point here ... it's not 'interpretable' if you understand grammar. The way it's stated indicates multiple sets of each ... but if you want to be one of those people to believe what you like to take issue with weapon designs you don't like, I can live with other people being unhappy with that ... because those designs and the reasons they are implemented that way for the benefit to everyone won't change because of some people's level of discomfort with changes.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Well, if you want to be one of those people to believe what you like to take issue with weapon designs you don't like, I'm OK with that ... because those designs and the reasons they are implemented that way for the benefit to everyone won't change because of some people not liking it, that's for sure.

Well, they definitely won;t change if everyone's going to stay quiet hoping for things to come that ultimately won't. based on thinking Anet used some words in their announcement they did not, in fact, use.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Well, one thing is for certain, whether you want to believe 'sets' means one or many, whatever your level of grammar knowledge is, the first 'sets' is Aurene and it's all 16 weapons ... so no sense in complaining about that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Well, one thing is for certain, whether you want to believe 'sets' means one or many, whatever your level of grammar knowledge is, the first 'sets' is Aurene and it's all 16 weapons ... so no sense in complaining about that. 

It's funny how you continue to ignore that the precursors (clearly mentioned in that very statement you keep refering to) are a separate set. Or even that they exist.

And i am complaining because i think that what they've shown as gen3 legendaries looks rather underwhelming to me. And clearly not just to me. In fact, even you seem to think so, because all your defense of it seems to be based on your certainty that it won't be the only gen3 set.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Cosmetically they are a joke. It's not that they are bad they just are not LEGENDARY.

I do think if they add dye channels these legendary weapons it would set it over the top. (I don't want to get in the its to hard debate)

What is unique about have 18 other weapons that resemble the one you have?

That is why people keep relating it back to a BLTC weapon set...

I guess If they wanted to make 19 different sets I'd be okay with that 🤣😂😭

• Confused 5

30 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's funny how you continue to ignore that the precursors (clearly mentioned in that very statement you keep refering to) are a separate set. Or even that they exist.

And i am complaining because i think that what they've shown as gen3 legendaries looks rather underwhelming to me. And clearly not just to me. In fact, even you seem to think so, because all your defense of it seems to be based on your certainty that it won't be the only gen3 set.

Sure precursors are a 'set' of weapons, just like legendary weapons .. you can make sets from any group of things ... but the way the statement was constructed, in the proper grammar, that means multiples sets of both. But I'm not here to give English lessons so if you like, you can continue to take offense to what little you saw, make fragile conclusions about that little amount and pretend that you are making a valid complaint about how the new way legendaries are implemented when what you are really displeased about is seeing weapon designs you didn't like. Too bad MMO's don't cater to individuals ay?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Unless these are 1) cheaper and 2) way faster to produce i think this is a dowmgrade from gen2 and i woupd rather go back to gen 2.5 where each legendary was unique and each lw update had a legendady.

I would like to be wrong and like each 9 months we will get another legendary set but i think ppl reading multiple sets og legendaries from that line are in massive copium.

Edited by zealex.9410
  • Confused 3

We've got legendary armor with unique skins (perfected envoy) as well as without (triumphant and glorious). Offering legendary weapons with a skin theme rather than unique skins per wepon type first and foremost offers more ways to get a legendary weapon for those who care for the functionality rather than the skin. Personally I see nothing wrong with that, especially considering how many postings we've seen in the last couple of weeks asking for exactly this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I got the impression the whole discussion is about people not liking the same theme over 16 weapons.  They still 'feel' legendary, even if the theme isn't unique to one weapon ... or at least I think it is. What I'm saying there is that if they are making a theme, I would rather have access to the theme and no one specific weapon. Maybe it will work that way. 

It feels like lots of people have jumped to some conclusions about this set of legendaries because we have some precedent with how long it takes for a generation of legendaries to be released. I don't think that precedent will hold anymore. I'm betting we get many generations of legendaries in just one expansion cycle ... and they likely more appealing to craft since they aren't regulated to a single weapon. In fact, I'm betting based on some language used on the website, the expansion is released with more than one 'generation' (we need to not call these generations anymore ... they are themes) This way is better ... seriously. 

I'm even thinking that Anet might be able to create the SAME number of themes as Gen 2 over the same time as they did for gen 2 for this new approach ... I mean, that's a huge improvement. It's not like these Aurene themed legendaries is the ONLY theme we will get in 3 years. 

This kinda makes sense... Like there could be 20 legendary themes and anyone who wish to craft a hammer precursor for their class can do it and finally they have a choice whether to dip their precursor in aurene magic or to dip it in jade research laboratory or 20 more locations to get a unique legendary look for their weapon... Imagine the knight of thorns side story but here knight of thorns weapon is just one set and the second set would be knight of jade's, etc...

But then again it might put a huge stress on those completionists they might try to craft all weapons for all themes... 

But if one wants a useful legendary that's not ugly looking, anet could've followed the same principle of making unique weapons and lore associated with each weapon and not lore towards the themes. And let ppl get bl skins and apply cool skins on top of useful but ugly looking legendary weapons. Most of bl skins have draw and stow effects. The only thing it lacks now is the foot falls effect.

Somehow the lore attached to the theme sounds kinda lazy or less appealing. Imagine dipping all different 16 weapons on aurene magic and u get the same lore . Same lore for 16 weapons.

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871

8 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Somehow the lore attached to the theme sounds kinda lazy or less appealing. Imagine dipping all different 16 weapons on aurene magic and u get the same lore . Same lore for 16 weapons.

Personally I would not jump to conclusion that every weapon will have same lore. For all we know, each weapon could have a separate piece - even if all aurene related - of lore attached to it.

• Like 2

Only time will tell, but if the Gen 3 Legendaries are only the Aurene-themed set, I feel that Anet has chosen a somewhat lackluster approach to new legendaries.. However, as some are theorising, if indeed the new Gen 3 Legendaries are now designed after the Black Lion set fashion, and we will later get for example 5-10 other Legendary themed sets, each also featuring a design for each of the 16 weapons, that will be quite cool.

If that had existed for Gen 2 and I could get a Chupa and Champawat sword or longbow, instead of the shortbow, that would have been really cool.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

My point here ... it's not 'interpretable' if you understand grammar. The way it's stated indicates multiple sets of each

No, actually, that's simply false.  And FWIW I taught English; my knowledge of grammar is excellent.  Their usage is at best ambiguous.  In order to be absolutely clear one way or the other, they should have said either, "a set of third-generation legendaries and a set of third-generation precursors," or "sets of third-generation legendaries and sets of third-generation precursors."  But those phrases fit much less well in their little blurb.  The marketing dept. would never let that happen. 😄

However, if you watched the presentation, it was considerably clearer:  They spoke of ONE ("a") set of 16 legendary weapons, and a set of precursors, about which they didn't really elaborate other than to say they represented Aurene when she was young.  Those are your "sets"--there was not even the hint of additional sets of anything coming, ever.

Now that doesn't mean it won't happen... but it would be a considerable departure from what Anet has done in the past and there is absolutely no reason to think they intend to do that, based on what they've actually said.  It seems extremely unlikely that's the plan, and far, far more likely that this is just them de-prioritizing development of legendary weapons so they can use their limited resources on other things they think are more important to the bottom line.

Edited by Bladezephyr.5714
  • Thanks 4

On 8/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

I understand the rest of the critique, and whilst I disagree, it's actually better structured that most posts I've seen.

However Ima have to stop you on that bolded part. Legendary Gear in many video games will take on 2 approaches

-Unique Design per Weapon Type (eg. Gen 1 and Gen 2 Legendaries)

-Legendary Gear Set (eg. Gen 3 Legendaries, or the best example, MHW: Iceborne Legendary Black Dragon Weapon Set, Safi'jiiva Weapon Set, Alatreon Weapon set etc.)

I don't find this argument very convincing.  MHW is not the same type of game... Action RPGs do things differently than the rest of the fantasy RPG genre.  But also, many?  Can you name three more?

Regardless, the whole idea of "legendary" gear in FRPGs is that its origin is from a legend--a hero of renown who used it, probably after obtaining it by some magical or otherwise special means, and by being a legend made that gear part of the legend.  Excalibur or Mjolnir are the obvious well-known examples.  So sure, you can have a legendary set, but that's typically going to be one or two weapons, maybe a shield, and maybe a couple pieces of armor.  I've never heard of any hero in history (or legend) ever regularly using all of a long bow, a short bow, a pistol, a long sword, a great sword, a dagger, a mace, an axe, a focus, a staff, etc. etc. Making a large set of themed weapons like this pretty much goes against the whole concept of legendary, and calling it legendary is just nonsense.

• Like 1

Why are people hoping they are cheaper to make? THEY ARE FREAKING LEGENDARIES. 

Who cares about the skins? Its still a freaking legend weapon. They should still be difficult to make a single one of them. This idea is great cause now it means no matter what weapon you like using, there is a skin for you. and any new legend should follow suit and have entire weapon sets of them. 

The Aurene legends are AMAZING and should be incredibly hard to make just to spit the complainers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Who cares about the skins? Its still a freaking legend weapon. They should still be difficult to make a single one of them.

I think that precedence of amulet that so far seems to be alotta of very easy/cheap tasks seems to fuel that idea of AN making "budget" legendaries for people with less wealth in game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Why are people hoping they are cheaper to make? THEY ARE FREAKING LEGENDARIES. 

Who cares about the skins? Its still a freaking legend weapon. They should still be difficult to make a single one of them. This idea is great cause now it means no matter what weapon you like using, there is a skin for you. and any new legend should follow suit and have entire weapon sets of them. 

The Aurene legends are AMAZING and should be incredibly hard to make just to spit the complainers. 

"I dont want nice things for others" -you.

I have 15 soon 16 legendaries, im all for making em cheaper. If they are account bound like the gen 2 legendaries doubly so, given how few people crafted them.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 1