[Suggestion] Create a reward system based on account age, not character age.

TLDR; Make a reward system comparable to character birthdays that is based on the account's age. Not all of us could afford to buy new character slots and keep old unused toons.

I created my Guild Wars 2 account December 27 2012 when I was in the mid broke college student phase of my life, previous to that I had played Guild Wars when I was a young teen. Because you have decided to reward players based on their character age instead of their account age I do not get to experience the same rewards as other players. I couldn't afford more character slots. I was college student working part time who had barely had any extra cash so buying more character slots was not an option for me. Really buying much of ANYTHING on the gem store was impossible for me for a long time, so if I wanted to try a new race or new profession I had to delete a character and start over. I love this game, I love this franchise. You do so much for your players, but it truly feels like in some instances you punish players for not being able to throw money at your gem store.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

So true.  This is why people cry for race/class change.   Imo they should make character age equal to account age.  But birthday gift should be limited to amount of character slot.

For example an account with 9 character will only recieve birtgday gift fot 9 times.. Unless they purchase additional character slot

• Like 1

I have 19 characters now, truthfully I don't need 19 of the same birthday rewards over and over, especially because so many rewards now are account wide. I do not need this many Queen Jennah minis and birthday blasters. The level scrolls and dye packs are nice, but I would be more than happy to receive one big account birthday gift each year instead. 

28 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

I like the current system. Now every character has its own birthday and gets gifts. If it were account based I would only get one gift per year. Nah, I’m against that. 

I agree.

And also, what rewards are we really talking about here? It's not like the current birthday rewards offer life-changing items.

It's more a little novelty goodie bag, that puts a smile on my face when I remember creating each character. That's the true value of the birthday gift.

• Like 7

I like the current system, but there's one thing I think would make sense to change.

Every year we get one account-level gift. It's given along with the first toon to reach a certain age. This really doesn't make sense - that gift should be given according to when the account reaches the age. Toon-level gifts are perfectly fine with being connected to the toon's own age imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They've already seperated the two; the characters birthday gift just contains a few reoccuring items (birthday card, boosters, dye pack, teleport to friend & black lion statuettes), the one-off items like the mail carrier, backpack, armour skins etc. come in a seperate pack (bouncy chest if I remember correctly) from an achievement triggered by a character reaching that birthday.

So all they would need to do is change those achievements to trigger based on the number of days the account has existed (something the game already tracks) rather than the characters.

So I think it is possible to do this, it's just a question of whether Anet would want to do it. They've always tied birthday gifts to character age rather than account age (ever since GW1) but I'm not sure why. Obviously it acts as an incentive to keep your oldest character but I'm not sure if that's intentional or a side-effect.

Incidentally it doesn't affect me because my oldest character was created on my first day in the game and I have no intention of getting rid of him, I was using him earlier to do the dailies. But I wouldn't be against the change, I think it would make sense.

• Like 2

I agree i wish it was an account bound feature with better rewards. Instead of it being on every character.

I ended up deleting all my oldest characters back in the day because i wanted to find the perfect race/class to my preferences and it took a very long time due to animations/ fashion. 

And Anet doesn't support character restoration anymore either and even if they did support it. I couldn't for the life of me remember those characters names. i just know i made a bunch on Day 1 of guild wars 2 release. And now my oldest character is still 8 years old. (that was because 2 years ago Anet helped me restore it because i remembered the name of it)

Sadly i couldn't remember the other names and Anet didn't want to give me the information for some reason so i was never able to get them back. And now it is really gone forever. 

I really hope Anet does make it an Account feature instead of a character feature. If not in Guild wars 2 then atleast consider doing this in Guild Wars 3 please Anet 🙂 

I deleted my oldest character 90 days after creation. Back then there was no such thing as a make over kit and no word of one being added, so the only way to change looks was to get a remade character. So i did, so yea id be down for having the account bday awards..awarded in the day the account was made, and the character awards awarded when the character was made.

not only it makes players happier that their choice of having 17 character slots is rewarded bountifully but also it is business strategy for A.NET so players will buy gems for extra character slots..

and idk why you wanted it account bound..

is there a surreptitious intent in your qualms, op?

I prefer the system we have in place, not that I've bought many character slots, but I've got both old and young characters and like getting multiple dye kits to unlock expensive ones, etc.

Even without slots, if you just made a lot of alts straight away you would have so many free gifts by now... asking this late to change it, no thanks!!

You start with 5 slots. Buying the expansions gave 2 more. That's already 7/9 classes. A few hundred gold gets 2 more slots. It makes zero sense to delete a character  if you've invested a significant amount into them, because you could just use the gold to buy another slot. If you can gear multiple characters to take up your slots, then you certainly could afford another slot.  That's just poor planning on your part.

But regardless of case, if you kept more than 1 character not deleted you would receive more than 1 gift a year. So why would you propose a change that hurts yourself, just because someone else may have had more?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

41 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

You start with 5 slots. Buying the expansions gave 2 more. That's already 7/9 classes. A few hundred gold gets 2 more slots. It makes zero sense to delete a character  if you've invested a significant amount into them, because you could just use the gold to buy another slot. If you can gear multiple characters to take up your slots, then you certainly could afford another slot.  That's just poor planning on your part.

But regardless of case, if you kept more than 1 character not deleted you would receive more than 1 gift a year. So why would you propose a change that hurts yourself, just because someone else may have had more?

While I find your tone a tad vindictive, your assesment is correct. If they're able to outfit multiple roles in ascended gear, the gold for another account slot should be quite bearable. 4k gems = a little less 1k gold. So that puts the cost around 200g, maybe a little higher because they always make it cost more going back the other way. If they can do T4 fractal dailies + reqs once a day for 2 weeks they should have all the gold they need, raw. Not including selling/salvaging other gear and mats.

5 hours ago, Zyga.2580 said:

Just as a way to bridge the two opinions in here;

what if get our achievement birthday rewards based on when the account was made, and gifts for characters based on their birthdays. Everyone wins.

That's how I interpreted the idea.

As I said earlier in the topic the two are already separate. The birthday gift which is mailed to the oldest character on your account is the same as all the others will get later on. The 'special'/unique items (like the mail carrier and the armour skins) come from a separate package which is given by an achievement triggered by the character reaching the right number of days. So all Anet would need to do is change those achievements to trigger when your account reaches that number of days instead of a character.

No one loses anything. The people with dozens of characters still get all their dyes and whatever else, when they'd currently get them. The people whose oldest character was created on day 1 still get both the character's birthday gift and the account gift together. If that's you then nothing changes.

But people who deleted their oldest character would now get the account gift when their account reached the right age, based on when they started playing, and then get the character's birthday gift later on the anniversary of the character being created.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Zyga.2580 said:

Just as a way to bridge the two opinions in here;

what if get our achievement birthday rewards based on when the account was made, and gifts for characters based on their birthdays. Everyone wins.

Thats what i thought they meant in the first place o.o

• Like 2