What happened to Thief?

Psybehr.2518

I took a long break after season 1/2. I just returned and find Thief to be pitiful compared to how it used to be. The damage isn’t impactful anymore. DD Swipe is terrible. Initiative costs have gone up. And people are still calling for nerfs?

Thief used to +1, punish someone, and move on to decap. Now? Everyone is some condi bunker with way more survivability and pumping out more DPS than glass cannon zerk builds.

As a power mesmer, I used to blink the fuck out whenever a thief\daredevil popped up, and many times with deadeyes too.

Now I can almost straight ignore them. Something happened to thief. Don't really know what that was as I didn't read their balance patch notes and I don't know the class anyway, but something definitely happened and I think it was way too radical of a nerf.Pistol whip let some fairly noob dudes rank up with ease (sword 2, pistol whip, steal, pistol whip, sword 2 again to get back; easy damage, stun and evade on top of a shadowstep to get away before things get hot...? Really?) and deserved a nerf. But now that's way too much imho.

Community doesn't like thief and unfortunately the new team at anet is the type that let's the community drive its balance decisions. People always destroy what they love if given full control and in this case its gw2. Just wait till u see where thief, mesmer and ranger are by next yr and with all the players saying f it where the population will be lol all while fb is still king of the hill in every mode :)

@Drennon.7190 said:I took a long break after season 1/2. I just returned and find Thief to be pitiful compared to how it used to be. The damage isn’t impactful anymore. DD Swipe is terrible. Initiative costs have gone up. And people are still calling for nerfs?don't be so hot.simpe rules:1)take ptv set, choose short bow, and find squad.2)If you see some fight - prepare your big cat and finish them.3)never try fight 1 vs 1

I am often play as thief on wvw, don't feel any trouble.

Has Sindrener commented on the state of thief? I'm curious when I get off work I want to see what he had to say regarding the changes. I think as a top level player with a good scope of overall balance/gameplay that's where I'd be looking to learn more about how thief is affected.

@Strider.7849 said:Has Sindrener commented on the state of thief? I'm curious when I get off work I want to see what he had to say regarding the changes. I think as a top level player with a good scope of overall balance/gameplay that's where I'd be looking to learn more about how thief is affected.

Ssid in his stream pi shouldn't get dps buff but should be added into the head shot skill and pi trait be somthing else. Remove assassin sig and transfer the damage back into thief skill ie dagger auto's etc to improve build diversity due to the fact that thiefs damage is so low with out it he doesn't feel like as a dp thief he would be able to actually kill anything if he didn't slot assassin sig, he may have meant dp specifically on that last part. Increase swipe range to 900 at least and lastly iirc change havoc mastery to somthing else as burning evades(ur only in fight sustain) to get a damage boost doesn't makes sense for a class like thief. Could be more but those were the ones that stood out in his recent streams.

@Strider.7849 said:Has Sindrener commented on the state of thief? I'm curious when I get off work I want to see what he had to say regarding the changes. I think as a top level player with a good scope of overall balance/gameplay that's where I'd be looking to learn more about how thief is affected.

Sindrener has never not begged Arenanet for thief buffs.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Sindrener has never not begged Arenanet for thief buffs.

??? buff teefHes right i beg anet to buff teef all the time

• 1 month later...

"kek PW spammer""pls nerf initiative""too op" (at what? runnin away from a fight?)

that's what happened. anet listened to community killing off the most engaging and fun class in this game. at this point i dont care about wvw/pvp anymore. switched purely to pve cuz of obvious reasons. but the thing that kills me is that even in pve thief isnt top of the dps class either. seriously? the only thing we can do is damage. cuz we don't bring any healing/support for team. and yet still we get outdpsed by let's say guardian class? they seriously need to look at bounding dodger atleast to give back our 15%.. and some other traits too. atleast let us enjoy pve if u punished us for enjoying pvp/wvw.

@Quadox.7834 said:please don't feed the victim complex thieves, teef does less damage but everything does less damage.

Difference is, Thief got slapped with another 15% damage nerf after the big balance round was already over. Most of the other classes didnt take any hit to damage afterwards. Plus, its hard to deny that thief damage is particularly pathetic. When a single Engineer skill with a 2 defensive traitline build does more damage than thieves entire combo with 3 offensive ones, something has gone terribly wrong.