Ingame weather?

I'd love to see fog, rain and even heavy storms on southern coast maps from Lion's Arch down to Orr. Orr maps would be awesome with heavy fog at night like on the one personal story instance. Snow storms on Shiverpeaks, north western Ascalon maps and eastern parts of Harathi Hinterlands and Gendarran Fields up to the lake by the airship. I think they missed the mark by not doing a frozen makeover for the western parts of Harathi Hinterlands for the Ice Brood Saga. Heavy snow for every other night cycle with the intensity of how it is on Bitterfrost Frontier. On Ascalon maps they could have powerful dust devils and straight line winds sweeping up debris across the map randomly during the daytime cycle. I rarely go to Ascalon maps because they are so bland. If they want to bring in players they need to refresh existing content. Core is so 2012 and that's what new players see when they start playing.

I know there's sometimes fog in northern Timberline Falls. I remember being really confused when I re-visited the spot where I took one of my favourite screenshots and it looked nothing like I remembered, there was almost no view and what I could see was just dull grey ground. While I was standing there double-checking the screenshot, the map and the Wiki trying to work out how I'd gone wrong the fog cleared and it went back to looking how I remember.

I've also seen both rain and bright sunshine in northern Bloodtide Coast, and fog, snow and clear skies in the mountains in Desert Highlands. So at least some areas do have different weather at different times, but I'm not sure if it's tied to events, part of the day/night cycle or random. That's also not a complete list, just ones I can remember right now. In some places it's definitely tied to events - for example around Morgan's Spiral in Caledon Forest it rains when the risen are attacking and it's sunny when they're not.

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:I'd like to see weather variation frequency and intensity increased some. Those should hopefully just be settings to tweak, and not new code to create.

Poor asurans :| would fly way in a blizzard!Weather system nerfed my race! xDThe normal gw2 player is already bad with the current basic and hollow game, if Anet adds a weather system players will certainly QQ mostly,

Gw2 is ment ot be a dull and more than basic themepark mmo....

Bjora Marches has a pretty nifty blizzard going on when the meta is up. And sometimes it rains in certain zones; not very noticeable so it does nothing to set a mood or something. Best weather change for me is still in Everquest, where the skies suddenly go darker and it starts thundering and Lightning. The zone really gets a different feel.
Nighttime used to be really different too in Everquest, but as the game progressed with more Advanced Lighting stuff(shaders and such), the difference between night and day kinda faded.

Also, coddling of modern Mainstream MMO audiences: can't have anything interfere with your average playsession that could make stuff harder or even too "different".

@"Tyncale.1629" said:Bjora Marches has a pretty nifty blizzard going on when the meta is up. And sometimes it rains in certain zones; not very noticeable so it does nothing to set a mood or something. Best weather change for me is still in Everquest, where the skies suddenly go darker and it starts thundering and Lightning. The zone really gets a different feel.

Nighttime used to be really different too in Everquest, but as the game progressed with more Advanced Lighting stuff(shaders and such), the difference between night and day kinda faded.

Also, coddling of modern Mainstream MMO audiences: can't have anything interfere with your average playtime that could make stuff harder or even "different".

I don't think it's entirely fair to blame players. You have to consider MMOs are often missing options available in other games which make dealing with unexpected changes easier. If I'm playing a single-player RPG and I get into town at midnight when all the shops are closed, or there's a blizzard when I want to go up a mountain and it's too dangerous I can sleep or wait so time in the game passes faster and then carry on with what I was doing. You can't do that in an MMO because it has to run at the same speed for everyone, so your only option would be to wait.

I only get an hour or two to play each day, because I have other things I need to do in real-life and I can't be at the computer all the time. So if I went to do something in GW2 and found it's impossible for the next 2 hours due to the virtual weather that's a whole day lost - at best I give up on what I was going to do, play another character doing something different and hope tomorrow is better. More likely I'll switch to a less frustrating game.

In general I like weather effects which affect the game and I agree it's kind of pointless when it's just a visual effect that most players won't even notice. But you need to give players tools to deal with it as well, if it's just an unavoidable annoyance then that's not good game design.

Actually in it's current state, any addition of a Weather system would only increase the problems.Take indeed Bjora for example.If the Keep meta fails, and the storm "remains" the map litterly becomes unplayable.The lag becomes horrible due to that exact same weather system.

Effects that can be used to introduce weather will, specially with the current lag issues in some maps, only increase these issues.Please let them solve that first.

Plus, as a visually impaired player I would prefer a system that can be turned off client side.

@"Tuna Bandit.3786" said:Actually in it's current state, any addition of a Weather system would only increase the problems.Take indeed Bjora for example.If the Keep meta fails, and the storm "remains" the map litterly becomes unplayable.The lag becomes horrible due to that exact same weather system.

Effects that can be used to introduce weather will, specially with the current lag issues in some maps, only increase these issues.Please let them solve that first.Also, the blizzard effects during the end phases of the Frozen Maw world boss event in Wayfarer Hills. FPS drops so much that often players in the event comment/complain about how low it goes.

I wonder how the engine even handles weather effects, and whether you could teach it new tricks, or trick it into doing something cool with weather I guess.

I'm very excited about Destiny 2's new expansion world Europa, a lot because of the new weather system being used there.

A total analog is Drytop, one of my favorite maps specifically because I love the weather.. Actually it would be cool to have Drytop style weather events all through the world - maybe not related to map meta but just for visual impact factor

I believe there are some mild effects in the game..

There are some more extreme weather effects in the game too triggered by events or bosses etcThe main one that comes to mind is the Blizzard for the Maw world boss which is notorious for butchering most players FPS..

Suffice to say it's not worth that kind of performance drop to have effects like that, least not in the open world anyway.

Agree but don't just stop at visuals, for exemple:Sunny day: normalRainy day: your precision is halved but your healing power is doubled.Snow: ypur movement speed is lowered but your toughness is higher.

I would love something like that, maybe it could even alter mobs population and/or their loot, it would be great.