Feedback: Official Living World Season 4 Episode 1 Feedback — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Here's the thread in which we'd love you to share your high-level feedback on the new Living World episode. Individual threads also are welcome, but this thread would be a great place to share a synopsis of your impressions. As always, brevity is appreciated, so if you can provide your top comments in under 100 words, that would be great!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<<134

Comments

• If you're sharing story-related comments, please consider using the spoiler tag for comments that may reveal details that are best left for each player to discover on their own. :)

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭

Nice map design as always. But too bad Kamadan has been changed so much. Curse you Joko! I would have loved some Nightfall nostalgia here, maybe including some references to the trade chat spamming. But I'm only half-way exploring yet. Other than the Kamadan thingie, great job so far.

Unfreeze my Heart with your AOE,
    And let me fall for you like an NPC.

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 29

100 words or less version:

Story: Where is Zojja? Bring back Zojja. Stop ignoring her and give us an update on her that is not hearsay. Almost quit the game because of the story. Stop busing or trying to bus characters I like. Needs a lot less Rytlock. Stop trying to push Rytlock down my throat. Boss AOE spam in story instances needs to be cut back severely.

Map: Enjoying the map so far. The pirate renown heart is a bit tedious though. Love the concept of Sunspear raids as a meta. Beautiful scenery.

Long version:

I really love the new map. I like the idea of Sunspear raids as part of the meta. It's a lot more noticeable than the metas in the PoF maps. The map is also really beautiful. The hearts (save for the pirate one) are also mostly hassle-free and don't take too much time to go through.

Dislikes:

The story. I almost quit the game because of the story. Anet's really starting to push my patience with the story. For starters, I'm sick and tired of Rytlock. There needs to be a lot less of him. He's not a likable character. He's not cool. He's not funny. He's not redeemable. His only defining character trait is that he's a jerk.

Also, stop trying to bus characters I like. It's bad enough Anet did that with Zojja but they almost did it with Taimi too. If you're gonna bus or fridge a character I like, then be fair about it and do the same to a character I don't like (starting with Rytlock).

Finally, regarding the story, the constant "everyone/everything is in danger" grimdark drama story telling is getting really tiring without there being something positive or uplifting to counter it. It's one disaster or catastrophe after another without a real break in between and it's tiring.

The boss AOE spam in the later story instances really needs to be scaled back a lot. It feels like I'm playing a SHMUP (and I haven't played a SHMUP in a long time).

Overall, I'd give this episode a 5/10. What could have been a great episode overall was let down by shoddy story telling (once again). My enjoyment of the new map content keeps the score from being a 0/10.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ZOJJA or RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

• One thing I want to ask people because I can't test it myself, is in reference to a small little tidbit I found in the restricted section of the library. In it, there is a book called "Astralarium" or something along those lines, and when I read it, it said that my character didn't understand the workings of it.

If someone has the Legendary Axe "Astralaria," do they get different information?

The way each profession has a unique way of breaking out of prison in the second to last instance is awesome. Please do more of this!

• keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭

I think the difficulty balance in the story was great again. I enjoyed the play through.

As with other stories, often the first statement of the next character is not spoken aloud. Maybe there wasn't voice-acting for all of the dialog . . . I don't know. I play as a sylvari female. (No quick way to find my alignment details.)

Side-note: There is no clue about dailies on the screen for Istan.

• I am not a big fan of the "Living" World because it's misleading, otherwise Amnoon would have been changed and certain NPC would have been dead. Some changes stay and some changes didn't, it's very inconsistent. But, it is what it is. One thing I like so far though is meeting a certain kitten hero who accompanied my character in GW1.

IMO, Malice build-up should be independent of DE Mark. The DE Mark should only speed up the process -- not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

• Im partway through my second playthrough. I wanted to wait for a less squishy view before I commented. That said...

Short version for the 100 words:

• Beautiful map
    • Awesomely integrated
    • Meta events are fun
    • Bosses have way too much HP
    • Final boss doesn't really make sense storywise, if it was that strong, how did it get captured in the first place?
    • Someone needs to smack the angry you-know-who

Now the long version, b/c I think real criticism requires thoughtful detail:

This is a beautiful map, one of the best LS maps so far. And it was integrated, which is awesome. The integration has gotten better over time, going from bizarre sections of map filled with out of place and unrelated mobs to maps that make sense with mobs and environmental aggro just making sense.

And the story is awesome. I cant figure out if Im amused or annoyed that y'all can't let a city go by without blowing it up, but hey.

I am annoyed with the treatment of Taimi. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come across as thinking nothing bad should ever happen to her. And what happened was not at all out of place and fit the story. It's the timing; she just finished re-building it and we go and kill it again. I just feels like we don't get any chance to see her in action beyond her brain anymore (and Im not counting the story-shot at the end of the first part).

With that in mind, she modded the heck out of it, it made for a monsterous fight.... how the heck did they get her if she had that thing? Based on the fight, it could have taken the army out itself!

Which takes me to my first and only real criticism of all the fights: the bosses are way too high in health. I know you want to make sure that high damage players don't find it too easy, but you've made it so condi and other un-tuned players just spend forever in the fights. I love that there's plenty of room in the fights, and that their AoEs aren't insane - overall, I consider it a step up from Balth and Caudecus. But it just takes forever.

Maybe adjust the HP based on the characters power? I don't know, but there has to be another way for us casuals to not have to supertune to kill these guys in under 20 minutes. (BTW: do you ever test eles with something besides staff? The warden fight is nigh impossible with my preferred dagger/horn combo. Got killed, swapped to staff, fight went way more smoothly.)

Lastly, and unrelatedly, when is someone going to smack Braham upside the head. I understand he's angry, but this is kitten ridiculous. He seems to think he has to do everything in the name of his mother, when he hasn't talked to a single person who knew her better - ie: the surviving members of Destiny's Edge. They have all agreed the your character's path is the right one, the one she would approve of, but he hasn't even talked to them to disagree. His attitude is distracting. There really needs to be some kind of resolution to it one way or another.

Now little nitpicks to check out:

• The spearmarshal never showed up: I was running through (second playthrough), never touched the trigger points, but heard one yell a ways behind me. Apparently he triggered it, which I didn't think would be possible. As a result, he spent his time fighting them and never showed up to the warden fight. He even addresses his sunspears from the cellars. I went to check on him, he was standing calmly over by his cell...

• Brandstone multitool: What does it do? I bought it, and almost everytime I use it, is says there have been no impacts. The one time it did give me a direction, I followed it across the map, and when I got there, it told me there had been no impacts.

• Balance: I mentioned it above, but I think it bares repeating, again - these bosses should not be more powerful than A GOD. The first one, lieutenant of Kralk, who absorbed that power, sure. Scruffy, built by Taimi to fight gods and dragons, maybe. An undead dervish, just no.

And now, back to playing it, because it really is a lot of fun. Great job :)

• takatsu.9416takatsu.9416 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 29

I sing high praises for this!! 9/10

• Absolutely gorgeous super pretty map

• Love the details in lore, books, adjusting mirrors, secret base, saving people from cages, little things like that
    • Story was A+ with tons of combat, less lengthy dialogue, a good level of difficulty

• Bosses including in the story instance have a range of mechanics and increase difficulty, they are not too punishing if you make a single mistake, all attacks were easily read and avoidable
    • CC from bosses and mobs was a bit annoying though but this keeps it difficult and you can still take a hit or two (I play glass light armor) but I can imagine with less stunbreaks and evades it would be an issue for some classes
    • I think often players want everything handed to them too easily. if the combat requires some effort, skill, reaction, knowing their class or making builds, or having a substantial group/squad, I see complaints. But that is the whole point of a combat system in Gw2 and for me, this episode was the perfect balance - wasn't too punishing and was still a challenge. I didn't die a single time, though I took some damage, while I did die a few times in the Path of Fire story.

• Especially loved the final instance and Scruffy fight, which required less just pure damage and more mechanics/puzzle
      • Also the characteristics of pvp ish abilities from bosses and slightly wvw-like use of siege in metas, I enjoy this kind of challenge and more complicated mechanics
    • Meta events are super fun, super rewarding, farmable, and makes a whole lot of sense in the storyline, completed all of them with a full squad and large zerg instance found via LFG

• I need to try the Raid and Fractals, but their lore context sounds amazing
    • Raptor mount skin was pretty and unique but kind of out of place and does not seem to be worth 2000 gems, I can only find it possible to use on trolly/jokes characters not my mains
    • Legendary focus skin not my kind of thing
    • Visually astounding but also takes a toil on performance during group events

Overall, an incredible immersive experience that tackles every aspect of the game right - environment, lore, combat, mechanics, rewards, community. Please do continue to make content like this.

• The boss fights were very trying as a sword weaver and likely any melee character. (Had no problem throughout POF story.) They just melt with staff though. Melee = hardmode. Had no idea what a static conduit was in the last fight and the only clue was in the mini map. Lost a lot of time trying to get the turrets to hit the storms.
    Lots of performance issues around Champions Rest (and Amnoon).
    Gorgeous map. Love the north end of the map. Loved the enemy mob swarms. Loved the profession’s prison break.

• Spurnshadow.3678Spurnshadow.3678 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 29

Good story, good new map, more interesting and engaging story progression compared to PoF. Story is more about character, less about plot but you could go much further here. The villain doesn't need to be some evil voice. Develop him. Map events seem better varied and engaging. different fight mechanics among trash. That's good. New Raid, New Fractal, New legendary that looks awesome. Those are really big deals and your marketing did nothing on that. Feels like you don't have a marketing department. Communication needs to be better in that regard. Some of the raid weapons look awesome. Love to get them but I've gotten burned a ton with the raid community. I feel that some of the boss fights had too much CC. Overall, pretty great release for PvE stuff.

However, nothing for WvW or PvP. No announcments about WvW or PvP. I played through the story and had a good time, but I'm not gonna replay it over and over. After Nov. 7th, I uninstalled. WvW and PvP is my end game content where I've spent maybe 9K hours. I re-installed for this release. I'll stick around for a couple more days to experience some of the things going on in the map, try to get into a raid, and do the fractal, but after that, uninstall again until you guys get serious about WvW or the next LS comes around. Hopefully for you guys, another game hasn't gotten my attention and retained me.

• HnRkLnXqZ.1870HnRkLnXqZ.1870 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 29

The auto-save function in the first story instance is an awesome and groundbreaking improvement. Please keep this feature for the future.

Updates for fractals are highly appreciated. The raid changes, I think they are good. The key-storage solution saved me 3-6 inventory slots on each of my chars, big thanks.

What I do not get/like ...
    ... why have you abandoned the water-tidal system. It worked great and contributed much to the immersion. It feels like a step backwards.
    ... why you refuse to write improtant/groundbreaking innovations into the patchnotes.
    ... another magic-currency bound to a new mastery-system. And probably more new currencies for the next maps.

What made me smile ...
    ... the new raptor skin. It.

Knowlege is power, but without fame you are just a maniac. Keep scrolling, this is not the information you are looking for.
  • Osby.5390Osby.5390 Member ✭✭
    edited November 29

Story 10/10
    Visual effects and Map 10/10
    Lore 10/10
    First Story Instance = too many summoned mobs 3/10
    Last Instance = to long and a bit hard solo 3/10
    no new ascended trinket to farm map currency for = 0/10
    Events on Map 10/10
    Rewards for events, map complete and story completion 3/10
    Renown Hearts = 10/10 like these as they are less painful
    Enemies = 10/10
    reasons to return or play on map after completing 0/10
    Achievements and amount of Achievs 10/10
    Locking new legendary Ring behind a Raid boss 0/10

• jheryn.8390jheryn.8390 Member ✭✭✭

I like the rating of this episode so I will join in:

Story: 9/10 I enjoyed everything about this story except the part of the final instance. It was very long and the trash mobs you encounter felt too over the top for me. I don't mind a challenge, but this seemed to be excess. I liked the instance and the story with the exception of

Braham. Can't stand him.
    . Also it was a bit long overall. This may sound like complaining but I very much enjoyed the story as a whole and thank you for a good time.
    Map: 11/10. This is hands down my favorite map in game. Not because it is new, but because it is beautiful and nostalgic. A+++ job Anet!
    Events: 9/10. The map is chock full of events but it doesn't feel like you can't take a rest and enjoy the view like I felt much of the time in the HoT maps.
    Humor: 10/10. Kamadan. Enough said.
    Supporting Characters: 8/10. It would have been 10/10 but
    Braham

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:
    One thing I want to ask people because I can't test it myself, is in reference to a small little tidbit I found in the restricted section of the library. In it, there is a book called "Astralarium" or something along those lines, and when I read it, it said that my character didn't understand the workings of it.

If someone has the Legendary Axe "Astralaria," do they get different information?

The way each profession has a unique way of breaking out of prison in the second to last instance is awesome. Please do more of this!

It does say something different if you have Astralaria. It says something to the effect,

This feels familiar to you.

• Lev.1327Lev.1327 Member

I was kind of bummed that there's no ascended trinkets like previous LS3 maps. I was really hoping for a cheaper source of Harrier items.

• Loboling.5293Loboling.5293 Member ✭✭✭

Story missions:
    Fun! I really enjoyed it, but I found the early story to be a little confusing.

Map: Just amazing, one of my favorites of the living world updates.

Main issues: I really felt like the story is pretty weak. It actually got a lot better as it went, but I didn't really get why this sunspear was so important. I also felt a little frustrated during the final story mission, it felt like my team was fairly useless. And Scruffy shouldn't be so strong. He gave me almost as much trouble as Balthazar...

Also, any time I play gw2, I think of how bad the meta is in pvp... not related, but hey, I'll mention it as much as I can. (Scourges were the worst design I've ever seen in this game, and firebrands need nerfs)

Overall: I really enjoyed this release, although, I do hate Braham even more now. If that was possible. The guy abandons us, and then accuses me of letting Tiami getting captured. WHERE WERE YOU BRAHAM!?!?! He's my number 1 on characters I most want to die.

Praise Joko!

• Crystal Black.8190Crystal Black.8190 Member ✭✭✭

Some feedback to the story encounters.

• You should adjust the wyvern it is such a boring fight. It does nearly nothing except very slow attacks from which you walk away, but has a lot of hp. Reduce the healing of the crystals. It fully heals in 3-5 seconds how are you supposed to destroy them that fast? I have the impression aurene is the actual one killing the wyvern, her attacks seem to deal 25% of its HP.
    • The cave fight ends in like 20 seconds. It is the complete opposite of wyvern. It is not even an actual fight, some trash mobs are harder.
      A better balance between endless HP and none at all would for me more fun.

• The warden was a fun fifth it is just annoying for melee characters without teleports to stick to the boss. Melee is a safe place because her AoE seems to never hit in melee range. A overall fun fight just maybe a few less teleports in future bosses?

• The final boss was also a fun fight. A hint how to get rid of the sparks would have been nice, but it didn't took long to ring out, but others might need more time to figure it out. Also I found this boss is also melee unfriendly need the ice fields to stay? Can't just the explosion chill? If the boss is in the chill fields you either take the chill or try to lure it out, but then it probably does the next chill attack. In the end it wasn't clear what to do I thought I had to finish it off somehow instead of just waiting. Oh it seems like the burning from waves is unblockable. But overall I liked the boss and the story of it.
  • Exsul.5803Exsul.5803 Member ✭✭
    edited November 29

most of my dislikes were about the last story mission:

• I didn't care for how braham was reintroduced
    • Too many trash mobs around or spawning.
    • Final boss fight broke immersion with odd mechanics and high AOE dage at end.

If my AOE attacks can only affect 5 targets but I have 30 hitting me - I'm not having fun.

[Edit: Switched from phone to pc to correct commend]

• @Exsul.5803 said:
    Too many trash mobs around or spawning.

Those Inquest are actually Sunspears...they never fight alone.

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭

The map is decent but nothing special, too much CC spam. Same goes for the story, your partners are way too passive. The map currency is pretty much worthless (both of them). Would it have killed you guys to give us a S4 ascended armor set (obviously just one or two pieces per episode) like the WvW one? It's not like ascended armor pieces are hard to come by these days so what's the holdup? At least then the map currencies would have been worth farming. The new batte tonic is nice. I don't like having two foliants for LW.

• Frostfang.5109Frostfang.5109 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 30

Like it! Interesting, not too messy, story. Lovley Aurene! (Can we plz get a teenage Aurene mini! ...or a dragon skin, similar to her look, for our griffon mount!) Fun, beautiful and enjoyable new map! Not too hard not too easy.
    New fractal is great!!!
    Key chain is awesome!
    Peacock raptor skin - quite ugly :(

Well done A-net!

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭

@Frostfang.5109 said:
    Can we plz get a teenage Aurene mini!

Oh come on this is almost the only thing you actually can buy with the new currency, how did you not notice that?

• I'm still working my way through it, but there was one big disappointment for me - the mastery. The first mastery for HoT wasn't big either, but it did still give a new ability that was used in following maps. Working to earn the right to work and collect a new currency...isn't a great feeling. Especially the way it's scattered over this map.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying things so far. Especially that first big fight that kicked things off. ^_^

• I loved every bit of it really. The story was past my expectation when it comes to living world, same for the map. I also had a lot of fun with the trash mobs that many are disliking. So, good work on a quality release Anet.

• Underdark.3726Underdark.3726 Member ✭✭

Can GW2 only players have some love too? Why did the fractal had to be about Joko too? Is not enough that we deal with him in the "real" world we need him in fractals too? There is so much stories out there you could touch.
    It seems since LW3 you are just trying to please GW1 players giving them things from the old game. The mursaat, Lazarus, Zinn, Livia.... visiting all the old places.
    I really hope we don't go to Cantha.

• Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭

The first thing I noticed was atmosphere; I told my husband that the Branded Storm would be downright beautiful if it weren't for all the chaos and destruction it caused.
    The Commander (my main is a female) sounds just downright PO'ed, it's like she has this "I'm tired of the BS, let's DO this." mentality.
    I got downed three times in the final battle, only because I was lost and tried to kill the glowing pillar platform thingies floating around the room. Once I understood the mechanics I unloaded on the final boss: Chaos Storm, followed by several fancy Mirage moves. I was going to help my friend, come hell or high water.
    I need more Canach in my life, pls. Also, I'm surprised how calm he was when the Inquest showed up. I felt so bad for him, I felt obligated to protect him (although he technically can't die (?). I actually cried at the last part of the scenario; it was emotional and my eyes were burning from not blinking a lot and it was worth every minute.

(N... no way!)
    (These guys are even WORSE than the other guys!)
    Who cares. Who cares! WHO CARES!!!
    I DON'T NEED FRIENDS!!!
    I'VE GOT KNIVES!!
    I'm...
    Out of knives. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 29

I thought the story was brilliantly structured with lots of instances and well fleshed out with extra dialogues and lore titbits everywhere. This is the best structured episode yet and one that you can genuinely spend 2-3 days over to savour if you want to. And it was focused without setting up hundreds of plot strands.

I enjoyed the new map, but it was a bit of a shame to see 2 classic sections completely given over to metas and not explorable. It does fit the narrative though and Kamadan's new name made me chuckle. I did enjoy the metas too, so it wasn't a big problem. The metas were also very rewarding

Some performance issues in Champions Dawn specifically compared to rest of Istan.

1ap rewards need to simply end imo. They add nothing to the game and are in fact insulting to get 1 ap when you spend ages on an achievement. Compare to older content and festivals where 5-10 is the normal. From next episode can you rectify this once and for all and if you feel really generous, take a look at all ap from PoF onwards.

The episode instances were all fun to play except maybe the last one. 2 HP sponges en route to a massive HP sponge in the final boss. I can forgive OTT mechanics, but they should always go hand in hand with lower HP. Please remember - story and open world are not raid level areas. Those of us with lower skill sets or non-dps specific builds are being slowly shunted out of the game with the over reliance on HP pools, too many mechanics and over the top amounts of cc. Raids and CM are for skilled players - that is their very design purpose. Please look over this last instance and also some of the Awakened attacks across the game and tone down where appropriate for the rest of us.

Overall, probably the single best episode yet due to improved structure and length.

• Traveller.7496Traveller.7496 Member ✭✭
    edited November 29

The first instance end fight might be the most unfun Living world instance boss they have ever done.

Also, the whole storyline continues with the same theme what made PoF combat so unfun too - that you are always the main target for every mob out there and you also have to do the DPS on the bosses. Your allies are there just to rez you. Can't they at least tank or do some damage? It's real annoying having every mob chase only you.

• Fulu.8649Fulu.8649 Member

D/C in instances are terrible.

• Sykper.6583Sykper.6583 Member ✭✭✭

I'll be brief on what was really good.

The Story and Pacing was superior this time around compared to the 1st episode of LS3, and that was impressive too.

Keep it up!

• Athrenn.9468Athrenn.9468 Member ✭✭✭

Overall, I thought that Daybreak was the strongest Living World release to date and here is why.

The Big Things:

The raid, fractal, Living World episode all felt like they belonged together. All three mediums tell a different, yet interconnected story, and that's how it should be. Raids allow us to face challenging foes who deserve more than a quick death in some story mission. The Underworld was the perfect choice of location coming off the story of what's happening with the realm of the Gods. Fractals allow us to delve into Tyria's past and explore the backstories of Living World characters like Joko and the Sunspear dervish who he turned to his side. Fractals also allow us to step into the shoes of other people throughout history and experience it first-hand—something that adds depth to the present day story. That brings us to Living World, the present-day story of constantly evolving episodic drama. In Daybreak, we witnessed the beginning stages of a plot that will affect all of the northern continent's governments equally, and that makes for good drama.

When all three stories are woven together in this fashion, it feels deep and rewarding to explore all three facets. The story told together by all three mediums is stronger than the individual parts—that's called synergy, and up until now it's been lacking. Keep releasing content like this and you will continue to impress me with the depth of your story.

The Little Things:

• In Episode 1: Daybreak, the stakes were both epic and personal. Saving the world all the time gets really boring unless the PC's actions are driven by a personal commitment like the bond they share with Aurene and Dragon's Watch. Stories are all about relationships and Daybreak allowed us to see just how far the Commander would go for the people he/she cares about.
    • In terms of gameplay, the battles also felt epic—especially the skirmishes fought between the Mordant Crescent and Sunspear armies, but also with the Great Hall Warden whose story was told through the Fractals of the Mists. Lots of bodies on screen makes it feel like a real battle.
    • Old characters from GW1 were handled well, giving us closure on Koss's story but also giving us some insight into his odd relationship with Margrid the Sly whose descendant is still running the family business of piracy.
    • The jail break mechanic was tailored to the PC's profession. Being able to solve problems using profession mechanics is really cool and it makes me feel like we're really solving problems with our own skills, not just some convenient plot macguffin.

That's all I have for now but there were so many little things I was impressed with that I can't even list them all. Details are important to me and Daybreak got it right, down to the little things.

• Cryshal.4036Cryshal.4036 Member ✭✭

I'm glad the nerfs will make playing the bosses easier, when I decide to retry this new release.

<<134
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.