Repeatable Hearts

Aoi.8570

What is the point of repeatable hearts? You finish one heart, move on, then you have to go back to this vendor to buy some collectible item (for example for Griffon's collection) and you have to repeat whole quest? Why? Let us repeat them, but let us also buy items from these vendors without doing the same quest over and over.

What I would like to see:

Do the heart the first time, it turns gold, as they do now. Thereafter, it's blue (or purple or whatever) showing that it's been done once, but ready to be done again, and leave the vendor "live" for purchase of items.

When they "empty" and show as not being done, it slaps one in the face and says "You didn't accomlish kitten."

It's nice that the repeatable hearts have something of value (vendor, bonus karma etc), but my main issue with them is how they look. The tiny infinity symbol on the bottom doesn't show very well on a map. I'd definitely recommend a second color for those hearts, and keep the full yellow while the second color shows on top. That way, it's easier to know which ones are required for map completion and which ones are for unlocking vendors.

Re: knowing whether you've done a heart or not.

A heart you have not done is displayed as an "empty" heart with gold outlineA repeatable gold heart which you have finished before but not yet done this day is displayed as "empty" heart with gold outline and an infinity symbol right under it.

I do agree that looking for the small symbol is a bit of a pain and color coding would probably be easier for general population.

Actually my only problem with repeating harts is that the rewards are so negligible that once I got my pet and achievement item (plenty of trade contracts for those outside of the hearts), I have no reason to go back and repeat any of them. Killing mobs in higher tier maps for loot is more profitable than going back and doing those.

I used to do the hearts for karma, but now I get so much of it, that I don't even need that anymore.

Maybe if they implemented inflated loot pool for those vendors, that would rotate randomly (or semi-randomly) throughout the week/month (and contained some exclusive items for each of these vendors), I would actually have some inclination of redoing them, but at this point, I'd rather do other things with my time.

Having a growing loot pool (like Veprovina mention) is a pretty good idea too.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Maybe make the vendor sell more things each time you do the heart, up to a point, would be more inventive to do them.

I don't like that idea. It's boring enough to have to do them with multiple alts (most of the PoF hearts feel like tedious busywork); having to complete them multiple times with the same alt is not my idea of 'fun'.

Regardless, the current system also gets in way of exploration. Since the content guide counts the repeatable hearts as 'unfinished'. Would like to see it changed.

@Zaltys.7649 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Maybe make the vendor sell more things each time you do the heart, up to a point, would be more inventive to do them.

I don't like that idea. It's boring enough to have to do them with multiple alts (most of the PoF hearts feel like tedious busywork); having to complete them multiple times with the same alt is not my idea of 'fun'.

Regardless, the current system also gets in way of exploration. Since the content guide counts the repeatable hearts as 'unfinished'. Would like to see it changed.

An easy fix to it would be if the vendor's expanding loot table was account wide, which would actually reward people for doing them on alts (although a hard cap for how many unlocks per day/week should still probably be implemented).

I didn't mind (much) having to repeat hearts in Siren's Landing or Draconis Mons for the various (really, really extended) collections: all the SL hearts are easily & quickly completed and all but one of the DM hearts are, too. In contrast, I find the hearts in Lake Doric to be so tedious and dull that I only completed the map once (typically, I would have done it on all my 80s, for fun & the local currencies).

PoF Hearts seem to be a mix: mostly tedious, and so I resent having to repeat them to regain access to vendors. I'm suspending judgment, because it was about two weeks before I figured out how to finish the DM hearts easily and probably the same for SL. It might be that there's an easy way to complete many of them & we just haven't figured it out.

One thing I do like about most of the hearts: if there's some sort of gather item, you turn in just what you need to complete heart (automatically in several of the hearts I tested), which means we can more easily save up for the next day's heart.

However, I'd far, far prefer it if we didn't have to repeat the hearts at all, just to regain access to the vendor. It's annoying enough to have to run around to each again if we forgot something (or couldn't afford it at the time); it's super annoying to have to replay if we aren't in the mood for that.

Workaround suggestion: I'm postponing map completion until I've got enough Trade Contracts (and have the relevant collections unlocked), so that I only have to go through this one time, if I don't feel like doing it multiple times.

tl;dr I'm with the OP: make the vendors permanently available (at least for basic stuff) after completing the heart once.

I like the idea of repeatable hearts, but they way they have it currently is silly.

Completing a heart should be a one time thing. Repeating a heart be distinct from completing a heart. The merchant shouldn't become not available, and you should be able to see what hearts you have completed once and what ones are available for repeat at the same time.

@Danikat.8537 said:They put it in because it's one of the things (some) players kept asking for.

But I'm not sure if those players considered the vendors when they made that request. I do think making it repeatable but also making it so you only have to complete it once to unlock the vendor would be a nice compromise.

I'm going to say you have it backward: the devs didn't consider vendors when they implemented the request, because of course the players still wanted access to the vendors, as numerous people in this topic (and older ones) have noted! I'm not sure if I know of any other major MMO were repeatable quests lock the related vendors every time the quests reset.

Kind of reminds me when FFXIV introduced a dye system (back in vanilla) but it was attached to stats (meaning certain classes needed to wear certain colors to be most effective), and when people complained, some on the forums blamed it on the players for "not knowing what they wanted when they asked for dyes". The response was basically, "No, Square didn't understand what we were asking for, because nobody asked for a goofy implementation like that!"

It was pretty mind-blowing, heheh.

@Aoi.8570 said:What is the point of repeatable hearts?

Daily Desert Mastery XP rewards, unlock items needed for Collections, as well as Karma, of course.

@Aoi.8570 said:Let us repeat them, but let us also buy items from these vendors without doing the same quest over and over.

That would be too easy. ;)

I didn't mind the repeatable hearts in the LS3 maps (except I'm with Illconceived, the Lake Doric ones are tedious as kitten). After doing them, I was able to use karma to get some of the regional currency, which was useful to me. Those currencies allowed me to get HoT stat trinkets and Back Items. In PoF, the only item that would be a repeatable purchase is the Trader's Key. That in itself is insufficient incentive to get me to want to redo them. So, for me, the concept works, but I find the implementation in Path to be lacking.

Hearts are the most boring "content" in the game, I absolutely hate repeating them, but sometimes you need to buy something off them and couldn't afford to on the first day. Hell, hearts should not exist in level 80 zones, they were meant to be a tutorial for players unused to the idea of an MMO without railroading quests and quest hubs. That's why they're not in Orr, Silverwastes, Dry Top, or any HoT zones. But unfortunately some numbskulls who I wish had had broken hands at the time so they couldn't type out the suggestion begged for not only more hearts, but repeatable hearts. Anet gave them to them, everyone else just has to deal with these boring chores. This game isn't supposed to be about static "quests" it's supposed to be about the dynamic event system. Thanks WoW babies.

I like doing hearts and feel like helping people...I don't mind repeating them when I have extra time to fool around and somewhat feel good about myself and kill time with a bit of relaxing fun.

But I agree the implementation is horrible, the UX for this is incredibly confusing. It looks like you didn't accomplish anything and also seems like a bug because you get the same messages on complete. Like what I already got the springer, skimmer and jackal, why are the hearts saying I didn't do it? It needs to have a visual distinction. Even repeatable hero points has a message when you hover over it, repeat this for a reward. I also think the HP should have a visual distinction too.

The lock out from vendor also doesn't make sense if we've already completed it. It just provides inconvenience. If somehow there is a nice reward for repeating it that would be encouragement enough. Dont punish players and force them to redo it to access the vendor.

Story wise it wouldn't make sense either. Why would someone we helped and developed a sort of repute with suddenly refuse to show us services and wares the next day until we help it again?

it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything but chores. It's something that's always bothered me about themepark MMO's. Oh you're that dude who killed the elder dragons and saved the world? How about you help me feed my cows or collect flowers and plant them in the ground, I'll give you 3 silver and it's a good deed so you'll get a little karma!

No screw that. This game was first envisioned as one with a living breathing world that wasn't going to be like every other themepark MMO on the market. Leave static boring filler garbage content to those other MMO's.

Archived