Upgradeable armor set coming soon?

At 6min 41s in it's asked next in s4 and he briefly speaks about upgradeable armor (7min 8s)

What does this even mean? Will legendary armor get this as well i'd assume. Or is it an armor set with several different skins that you work to achieve in a possible new map, such as luminous caraace armor from SW or like how we upgraded legendary armor? Well whatever it is it seems like an entertaining goalto work towards next.

Best not create too many expectations...A lot of what he said was fluff for the press, and doesn't completely translate into the game experience.

Honestly, i'd rather they put their money where his mouth was and release a set of elite specs outside of an expansion, so that we don't have to wait as long for proper choice of builds.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:I'm hoping its cosmetic and not actually another gear tier. Unless its already integrated into ascended/legendary.

Hell no. Gear tier & build diversity to it is what this game majorly needs. Kiiten your cosmetics.

I disagree; in a game SOLD as not having a gear treadmill, it shouldnt go back on that.I do however want to see a trend of having gear upgradable from "white" to "ascended" or even legendary.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:I'm hoping its cosmetic and not actually another gear tier. Unless its already integrated into ascended/legendary.

Hell no. Gear tier & build diversity to it is what this game majorly needs. Kiiten your cosmetics.

I disagree; in a game
SOLD
as not having a gear treadmill, it shouldnt go back on that.I do however want to see a trend of having gear upgradable from "white" to "ascended" or even legendary.

hopefully this upgradeed armors have moving parts like the legendary raid skins, feels like a waste to only use it on 3 skins then never again.

@Dante.1763 said:

I disagree; in a game
SOLD
as not having a gear treadmill, it shouldnt go back on that.I do however want to see a trend of having gear upgradable from "white" to "ascended" or even legendary.

I would'nt. I believe there is a smart way to upgrade weapons & armor with out being a gear threadmill tier system.

@Linken.6345 said:

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

hopefully this upgradeed armors have moving parts like the legendary raid skins, feels like a waste to only use it on 3 skins then never again.

I agree with you, maybe this will be a way to get legendary pve armor without raids too: i HIGHLY doubt it..but i can dream of a way to get legendary armor outside of raids.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

I would'nt. I believe there is a smart way to upgrade weapons & armor with out being a gear threadmill tier system.

Would you care to explain a bit, im curious?

Well> @Dante.1763 said:

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

I agree with you, maybe this will be a way to get legendary pve armor without raids too: i
HIGHLY
doubt it..but i can dream of a way to get legendary armor outside of raids.

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

Well beside the obvious Questing or raiding or pvp'ing even WvW'ing for special item's such as gem's that you can lock in a piece of gear for more stat's & powers or even extra abilities. Gem's that you can upgrade as well by using crafting & such. You could also empower dease item's or gear with junk such as Bloodstone, Dragonite & so on to give that extra boost just like characters eating food. Boost would go away an hour after & you would have to empower it again & again. Boost would always work in percentage & trying to figure out the right formula to find the best combination for the max % is always the goal & would be an idea. Theocrafting between gear, item's & empowerment. Could be a solution to gear threadmill instead.

@Vieux P.1238 said:Well> @Dante.1763 said:

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

I agree with you, maybe this will be a way to get legendary pve armor without raids too: i
HIGHLY

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

Well beside the obvious Questing or raiding or pvp'ing even WvW'ing for special item's such as gem's that you can lock in a piece of gear for more stat's & powers or even extra abilities. Gem's that you can upgrade as well by using crafting & such. You could also empower dease item's or gear with junk such as Bloodstone, Dragonite & so on to give that extra boost just like characters eating food. Boost would go away an hour after & you would have to empower it again & again. Boost would always work in percentage & trying to figure out the right formula to find the best combination would be an idea. Theocrafting between gear, item's & empowerment. Could be a solution to gear threadmill instead.

Only thing i dont like is the temporary nature. It would become mandatory if you wanted to do content like raids to have the best combo, and for those players like myself who dont always do things that reward those materials wed be SOL. If it was permanent id be okay with it.

The extra stats we already have in the form of infusions, and they are expensive already.

@Dante.1763 said:

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

HIGHLY

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

Well beside the obvious Questing or raiding or pvp'ing even WvW'ing for special item's such as gem's that you can lock in a piece of gear for more stat's & powers or even extra abilities. Gem's that you can upgrade as well by using crafting & such. You could also empower dease item's or gear with junk such as Bloodstone, Dragonite & so on to give that extra boost just like characters eating food. Boost would go away an hour after & you would have to empower it again & again. Boost would always work in percentage & trying to figure out the right formula to find the best combination would be an idea. Theocrafting between gear, item's & empowerment. Could be a solution to gear threadmill instead.

Only thing i dont like is the temporary nature. It would become mandatory if you wanted to do content like raids to have the best combo, and for those players like myself who dont always do things that reward those materials wed be SOL. If it was permanent id be okay with it.

The extra stats we already have in the form of infusions, and they are expensive already.

Your right. & that's on purpous. See buy locking in gem's for example onto a piece of gear would give you that..., let's say that extra 20% onto your stat's. & that would be lock in. Permanently. But you know by empowering that piece of gear with 100 bloodstone would give you an extra 3% for 1 hour. Woul'nt you just do it? No matter what? Just cuz your that 3% much more powerful? I know i would. I would maxout all the time. & try to figure out if there's a way to get that 3% up to 5% or even more. Would'nt you do it? & if you did found out, would you tell how you did it? I know i would'nt. Cuz i'm greedy.. XD

@Vieux P.1238 said:

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

HIGHLY

I disagree; in a game
SOLD

Your right. & that's on purpous. See buy locking in gem's for example onto a piece of gear would give you that..., let's say that extra 20% onto your stat's. & that would be lock in. Permanently. But you know by empowering that piece of gear with 100 bloodstone would give you an extra 3% for 1 hour. Woul'nt you just do it? No matter what? Just cuz your that 3% much more powerful? I know i would. I would maxout all the time. & try to figure out if there's a way to get that 3% up to 5% or even more. Would'nt you do it? & if you did found out, would you tell how you did it? I know i would'nt. Cuz i'm greedy.. XD

Dont see this system as any better then upgrading from base to ascended, your asking for power creep while the other person dident.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I'm hoping its cosmetic and not actually another gear tier. Unless its already integrated into ascended/legendary.

That's not how the game was designed so it's most likely going to start off at low level and be able to upgraded to either top tier, whether that's Ascended or not remains to be seen.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I'm hoping its cosmetic and not actually another gear tier. Unless its already integrated into ascended/legendary.

Obviously you’ve never been there since GW1... try WoW or the other MMOs left on the market. They have the build diversity and constant vertical progression you want so much.

Upgrade-able armor set with more choices in terms of customization.

This could go anywhere. I think (or hope) that it's either an armor set which you upgrade from x to z (white to exotic or even ascended, maybe legendary) or maybe add multiple runes to an ascended set to function similar to legendary armor (but that is kind of pointless if the stats remain the same). It could also be something along the lines of pick and chose stats, which would be insane (unlikely since this would go against the stat system).

I doubt we are looking at a new gear tier (sorry to disappoint every one from WoW coming) since this would mess a lot with the entire gear and reward structure in the game.

Then again, Arenanet have been known to throw curve-balls in the past and surprise us with what they came up with. Let's just hope we get through the next few months good enough content wise. The shock of no new expansion (and no new elite specializations) next year is still with some players. Player retention will be a challenge to master with Living World Episodes.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

And this armor would do absolutely nothing for that. Your argument doesn't make any sense lol

I'm assuming it's armor like the bloodbound weapon set or whatever its called. Something that levels alongside you and/or you unlock different tiers of that armor as you go forward and level up crafting perhaps.

Yeah, like others, I reckon it's going to be a way of upgrading armour sets through collections (maybe unlocking recipes as part of the reward for completion of each tier), it could be stretched over the next three episodes (starting with Rare in episode 4, Exotic in episode 5 and ending Ascended in episode 6).

They might also add ranks of Elonian armour crafting masteries alongside the collections.

Given the increasing gap between the episodes I'm expecting quite a grind so I hope the skins are nice. (Please, please, please, no buttcape or sidecape on the medium, just a short, symmetrical, waist-length jacket).

I'd personally love if they ended up as PvE precursors but I imagine they'll save PvE legendary armour for an expansion.

Archived