I believe we will get Greataxe and 1hander land Spears in next expansion

We saw glimpse of Greataxes in the game in HoT NPCs, and now One hander throwing Spears in PoF. I believe these are hints of what's to come soon and we getting close to these being made a playable reality in the game.

But what other new weapons besides scythes do you want? Scythes at this point is just going to be added to Staffs like it already is so don't see that ever becoming it's own weapon type.

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:We saw glimpse of Greataxes in the game in HoT NPCs, and now One hander throwing Spears in PoF. I believe these are hints of what's to come soon and we getting close to these being made a playable reality in the game.

But what other new weapons besides scythes do you want? Scythes at this point is just going to be added to Staffs like it already is so don't see that ever becoming it's own weapon type.

"Spears" are probably just going to be based on staffs given that they dont make any spears "skins" for new weapons sets, and they have been introducing staff skins that look, and are called spears, not that im objecting, ill gladly take it.

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:We saw glimpse of Greataxes in the game in HoT NPCs, and now One hander throwing Spears in PoF. I believe these are hints of what's to come soon and we getting close to these being made a playable reality in the game.

Aw sweet summer child... Here you stand, setting yourself up for disappointment... Sure, "new weapons" might be their new selling point... But i doubt they'll go through the work required, and if they do, most likely new weapons will outdo old ones so drastically the game will be just bad...

I doubt they’ll add entirely new weapons. Theyll at best maybe remake old weapons like Dante said. If they make a new weapon they’ll have to redo the wardrobe on both the Hero panel and the bank, add a new weapon category to the trading post, add it to crafting to keep it consistent and add it to Black Lion weapons vendor if they want to keep sets intact. In addition people would complain because of the lack of choices with the new weapons skins (around 200 each for the old skins and one or two at start for the new weapon skins). Why should they go to all that bother when they can reuse old weapons for new elites?

Greataxe's are Hammer skins I believe..

I don't see Anet adding new weapon types at all but I could see them reworking existing weapons and giving them new skill sets.One example of this would be land based harpoons.. maybe not ranged weapons like throwing spears but stabbing ones.Another would be say Necromancer staff being reworked as a melee weapon giving us some normal scythe style gameplay while still being able to run a double staff build.. one melee skill set.. one ranged.Ranger Axe is another.. one melee set, one ranged.This could be done for many of the future elite specs instead of always adding a brand new weapon to the class which might not always make sense or to get around limitations like Warrior which has access to far more weapons than most other classes do.. thus limiting it's elite spec potential.

Speaking of Warrior here's one of my own Elite Spec ideas for it.I call it the Juggernaut and it gets duel greatswords (think Ganondof from Hyrule Warriors)It's simply a second weapon skill set for Greatsword that gives you new attack animations, instead of one 2 handed greastword you carry two 1 handed greatswords.You could then run a full greatsword build swapping between skill sets essentially swapping between 2 handed to duel weilding Greadswords.

I think this is something Anet is more than capable of adding to the game and if they did it means that every weapon is pretty much on the table for every single class as a potential Elite spec rework or new addition.

I've always been hopeful they would do something along these lines;

Remove all underwater weapons from the game. Spearguns all become rifles, tridents all become staves. Spears become a new land based weapon, usable by certain professions/elite specs. Make all classes have a "default" underwater weapon set, i.e. all elementalists underwater will automatically pull out a trident, engineers will automatically pull out a speargun, ect. Allow us to transmog the underwater weapon slot, but not equip anything in that equipment slot. Instead, our new "default" weapon will have its stats entirely based on the land weapon set we have equipped. So, if a warrior dives into the water with an exotic greatsword with berserker stats, and a superior sigil of force and air, then the weapon he has underwater will ALSO be exotic with berserker stats, with force and air sigils.

This seems like it would probably appease most people who love underwater combat, and the group who really want to see land spears in the game. It'll also add a lot of unique skins for staves and rifles, as well as extra legendaries for those weapons that are rarely seen in game. However, I don't make video games so I have no idea how feasible this would be. Just was always a neat idea I hoped they would implement. I'd love to see land spears, and use the legendary underwater stuff on land.

@Reverielle.3972 said:It would be nice, I'd love a one-handed spear.But the vast amount of work required to add a weapon or two compared the benefit it gives to the game as a whole makes me think it will never happen.

But like I said, there are NPC with 1 hander Land Spears like in GW1, but in PoF content. So it's already coded into the game. All they need is to make the Skins for the new weapon types. Same with Great Axe.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Reverielle.3972 said:It would be nice, I'd love a one-handed spear.But the vast amount of work required to add a weapon or two compared the benefit it gives to the game as a whole makes me think it will never happen.

But like I said, there are NPC with 1 hander Land Spears like in GW1, but in PoF content. So it's already coded into the game. All they need is to make the Skins for the new weapon types. Same with Great Axe.

Make new skins yes, then make a new wardrobe section in the Hero Panel for the new weapon type and a new wardrobe section in the bank wardrobe, make a new option in the trading post for the new weapon type and (probably) add new crafting. Also, they might want to add a new weapon type to the list of Legendaries and to the Black Lion weapon sets.

(And then have the inevitable complaints from new players, and some not so new, asking why there is only one or two skins when all the other weapons have a couple hundred).

Or.... they could just re-purpose one of the old weapons like they did for hammers with Revenants where the hammer became a ranged weapon or with Thief where a staff becomes a pole weapon, but in this case an axe becomes a great axe or a staff becomes a spear. A lot less work and people can use all the skins from the old weapon if they so desire.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:We saw glimpse of Greataxes in the game in HoT NPCs, and now One hander throwing Spears in PoF. I believe these are hints of what's to come soon and we getting close to these being made a playable reality in the game.

I seriously doubt that. We have seen unusual NPC weapons throughout the game for years, but nothing was ever changed - and likely never will.

We've had glidding, mounts, new map designs, new professions, new crafting specs, new elite specs, raids, mastery system...There are many fantasy genre weapons to explore: greataxe, spear, wands, fist weapons, crossbows etc.People frequently state "thats a lot of work! this will never see the light of day, to much work and effort", well, what's not hard? work is hard, nothing big comes easy, and this is how anet makes money, they develope games…you can't start developing a game and not expect hard work (and a lot of fun)

They surprised us with HoT and PoF, so… new races, new weapons and classes are cards to play and perfectly plausible at some point in the future.

Cheers!

@"Regh.8649" said:We've had glidding, mounts, new map designs, new professions, new crafting specs, new elite specs, raids, mastery system...There are many fantasy genre weapons to explore: greataxe, spear, wands, fist weapons, crossbows etc.People frequently state "thats a lot of work! this will never see the light of day, to much work and effort", well, what's not hard? work is hard, nothing big comes easy, and this is how anet makes money, they develope games…you can't start developing a game and not expect hard work (and a lot of fun)

They surprised us with HoT and PoF, so… new races, new weapons and classes are cards to play and perfectly plausible at some point in the future.

Cheers!

At this point the only thing they could really pull out as a massive selling point for a new expansion would be new weapons(possibly likely), new races(highly unlikely), new professions(also highly unlikely).

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

Unique animations for each of the nine classes; skills for each, trait modifications for all classes taking into account the new weapon. Skins yes, like you said, but not just textures; meshes too; taking into account all the crafting tiers, all the dungeons, raids, all unique sets (e.g. Elonian, Funerary, machine, Mystic, Fractal, and so on...) It's simply a massive undertaking, and encompasses much much more than what you think.

It could happen, but don't dismiss it as a somewhat trivial endeavour, or something they've already half done by having an NPC or two in the game with a roughly comparable animation, because it is anything but.

Honestly there is nothing stopping them from adding new weapon types in an expansion if they approach it the right way.

1. Tie it entirely to an elite spec
  2. Create more than 1 weapon, maybe 3 and distribute them among classes
  3. Make sure they only drop through certain boxes or from certain enemies, maybe unid gear, to avoid having to re-do the vast amount of loot tables.
  4. Done.

Not the most elegant solution, but probably the easiest to implement.

Is it going to happen? Nope, not seeing it. The amount of animation work that needs to be done will be far too much, though it would be in the scope of an expansion. Right now lots of animations can be reused, slightly tweaked for the different weapons. New weapons would mean entirely new stances, new animations for every class and race, multiple types of weapons... Way too much work.

Archived