Question about Roller Beetle Sweepstakes legality [merged]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what it says in the rules it looks like you can.

1. ELIGIBILITY: ArenaNet “Guild Wars 2 Roller Beetle Racing” Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of...the United States (including the District of Columbia)https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-roller-beetle-racing-sweepstakes-official-rules/

Previously when I've seen things which exclude US territories it says "the continental United States" or "the 48 continuous states".

But this might be one for someone from Anet to answer, to provide a definite yes or no.

@"sorudo.9054" said:REALLY, france and germany are allowed but the Benelux (who btw have the same European laws) are excluded......kitten Anet?

They do not have identical laws, especially regarding the definition of "gambling."ANet doesn't get to choose the rules and I'm surprised that anyone expects them to figure out how to have a contest that would work everywhere in the world.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I am eligible to participate, but I am not a fan of contests that exclude many regions of the world.There are no contests for which everyone in the world is eligible.

Also, a real car? Really? Is that how we attract people to games now?The car isn't the "attraction," not directly. ... it's the publicity generated by having a contest. The more odd the association, the more likely it gets written about, video'd, newscasted, etc.

It's a distraction for anyone already playing: the real news (for veterans) is that the game is adding a bunch of short-term dailies (a kind of festival) and new beetle racing tracks. ANet delivered a mount that is mostly fun rather than practice, people created races and fans of those races suggested ANet make it a thing... and here they are, permanently in the game.

tl;dr none of us are likely to be the winner of any of the prizes. Meantime, we still get new races and a festival to celebrate them.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I am eligible to participate, but I am not a fan of contests that exclude many regions of the world.There are no contests for which everyone in the world is eligible.

Which is exactly why I am against something like this in a MMO. It tears the community apart.

Also, a real car? Really? Is that how we attract people to games now?The car isn't the "attraction," not directly.

If you says so. I am not thrilled over such stunts.

Well belgium has different rules than luxembourg or the netherlands. As far as I know only belgium has problem with the gambling in games..Also why is this gambling. We only get a ticket by participating and winner is drown. It costs nothing and you can't buy more entries. Those contests are done here often without it being illegal, maybe it is illegal if the contest us from outside a foreign country I don't know.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Which is exactly why I am against something like this in a MMO. It tears the community apart.How? It has almost no affect on most of us.

I am not thrilled over such stunts.I'm sympathetic; I just don't have an obvious alternative. What would you propose instead that offers these features:

• Relatively low-cost to ANet (legal fees and coordination mostly; prizes are coming from vendors who have their own reasons for donating)
  • Likely to get picked up by websites & news organizations that normally wouldn't mention GW2.
  • Offers incentive to non-players to download & spend some time trying the game.
  • Gets people discussing the game for more than a minute.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:I am eligible to participate, but I am not a fan of contests that exclude many regions of the world.There are no contests for which everyone in the world is eligible.

Which is
exactly
why I am against something like this in a MMO. It tears the community apart.

Gross over-exaggeration. How exactly does it tear the community apart? Everyone has access to do the races, complete the achievements, and obtain the in-game rewards.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:I am eligible to participate, but I am not a fan of contests that exclude many regions of the world.There are no contests for which everyone in the world is eligible.

Which is
exactly
why I am against something like this in a MMO. It tears the community apart.

I thought fractals already did that.

Do be aware: To be eligible, you must be opted-in to receive the Newsletter. If you have previously removed information (email address) from the list, you can opt back in here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/rollerbeetle/

I'd be careful about this requirement, as well:Entries made with multiple e-mail addresses, under multiple identities or through the use of any agent or other device or artifice to enter multiple times will be deemed invalid. (Might apply to alternate accounts.)

Good luck.

We'll i'm not sure how these things work exactly but I expect Anet has had to reach out to each country etc individually and sort out the legal mumbo jumbo before they can state that country is eligable for the contest.

It could very well be that they were told no by some countries or were simple unable to speak to the people they needed to..I really don't know how this stuff works but I highly doubt Anet just decided to exclude fans from specific countries for no reason, that just doesn't make sense to me.

I, too, yell at the person who has won in the lottery. It should have been me!!!!!

A true "worldwide" contest or prize drawing doesn't exist. It's extremely difficult, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't ever be allowed to happen. It's applicable in most major regions I'd presume (cba to check), with exceptions for countries with different legal procedures or whatever. It's a cool thing, I'll gladly participate.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Do be aware: To be eligible, you must be opted-in to receive the Newsletter. If you have previously removed information (email address) from the list, you can opt back in here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/rollerbeetle/Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of joining the fun but didn't realize this was a requirement for winning one of the real world prizes. Another thought - I'm not sure why anyone thinks this will tear the community apart. It sounds like a fun thing to do, the ingame rewards sound cool, and even though I opted in for the newsletter to be eligible for the real world stuff, I don't expect to actually win any of it. So I'm not feeling the inclination to tear anything apart myself. :)

• ArenaNet Staff

@Donari.5237 said:Hmm. @"Gaile Gray.6029" A question: I believe I already get the newsletter, though the last message I got from it was the March 30 2018 notice that SAB was back. If I resubmit the same email to make completely sure, is that ok or will it be flagged as multiple attempts?

You mean essentially sign up for the newsletter using the same e-mail address? That should be just fine. The system should simply reject a second sign-up for that account.

In fact, I suggest that people may want to make sure they're on the "opt in" list by submitting their e-mail address to ensure they're on the mailing list.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Hmm. @Gaile Gray.6029 A question: I believe I already get the newsletter, though the last message I got from it was the March 30 2018 notice that SAB was back. If I resubmit the same email to make completely sure, is that ok or will it be flagged as multiple attempts?

You mean essentially sign up for the newsletter using the same e-mail address? That should be just fine. The system should simply reject a second sign-up for that account.

In fact, I suggest that people may want to make sure they're on the "opt in" list by submitting their e-mail address to ensure they're on the mailing list.

Got a link of where to do that, just to make sure we're not missing it? Please?

@Palador.2170 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Hmm. @Gaile Gray.6029 A question: I believe I already get the newsletter, though the last message I got from it was the March 30 2018 notice that SAB was back. If I resubmit the same email to make completely sure, is that ok or will it be flagged as multiple attempts?

Got a link of where to do that, just to make sure we're not missing it? Please?

Thanks Gaile!

Palador, look in https://www.guildwars2.com/en/rollerbeetle/ under the Opt In section.

Archived