What are some of the Best 5 man Comps for Smallscale WvW?

EnderzShadow.2506

Healer Firebrand, Healer/peeler Druid, Condition Scourge, Power Holosmith, Power Spellbreaker.

Strong focus on Boon stripping/corrupting + CC lock downs and bursts. Druid peels when anyone is downed/low health and FB + Druid burst heal while stealthed. Scourge primarily focuses on keeping people busy with conditions while Holo creates area denial and lockdowns with the Spellbreaker. SB and Holo should be on the glassy side with the Scourge being full condition tank. Holo should be using Purity of Purpose + Hard Light Arena. Druid should be using Smokescale and everyone should be aware of blasting the Smoke Field and how quickly they can Stealth if they need it.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to roam with a small comp if you're fighting half decent randoms. This comp would be relatively weak to high ranged pressure and wouldn't have much damage if it wasn't co-ordinated on it's targets. It would be strongest in chokes or closed areas like Pangloss Mine, Rogue's Quarry, the ruins at the back of Blue keep EBG, etc.

Some comps are obviously going to be bad but, assuming everyone knows their classes and each other as well as being in comms, I'm sure you could be dangerous with just about anything. That doesn't mean you'll be successful even 50% of the time though assuming success is measured by completely wiping what ever you're fighting and moving on - not slowly back pedaling until what ever you're fighting gives up.

3 highly skilled chronos all running moa, a holosmith with toolkit and elixir s for stealth/invuln (could potentially use dragonhunter instead of holo for pulls) (could also also use scrapper with toolkit, elixir s and elixir x for moa) and for the 5th class you could use anything. A perma stealth 1 shot deadeye could work - people underestimate the potential abuse of this. A couple firebramds and scourges arent going to touch a deadeye but the deadeye can easily almost 1 shot even the firebramds.

So: 3 chronomancers with moa (power), any one of holo/scrapper/dragonhunter for pulls, mainly, and ability to not die easily, aand any other class preferably deadeye perma stealth cheese.

Like I said, some firebrands and scourges are going to get annihilated by a comp like this. Don't believe the meta.

@Ruufio.1496 said:3 highly skilled chronos all running moa, a holosmith with toolkit and elixir s for stealth/invuln (could potentially use dragonhunter instead of holo for pulls) (could also also use scrapper with toolkit, elixir s and elixir x for moa) and for the 5th class you could use anything. A perma stealth 1 shot deadeye could work - people underestimate the potential abuse of this. A couple firebramds and scourges arent going to touch a deadeye but the deadeye can easily almost 1 shot even the firebramds.

So: 3 chronomancers with moa (power), any one of holo/scrapper/dragonhunter for pulls, mainly, and ability to not die easily, aand any other class preferably deadeye perma stealth cheese.

Like I said, some firebrands and scourges are going to get annihilated by a comp like this. Don't believe the meta.

That comp could counter a more proper one, but it's a gimmick comp. They could insta-gib a couple players assuming all the Moa's and bursts land, but they're going to have very low sustain. Despite being very slippery, they'll get shredded by a couple decent Thieves and power Rev's. It would heavily depend on co-ordinating the Moa's and spikes and after that, all they could really do is hard kite or straight up disengage.

I'm not claiming your comp to be bad, especially since pretty much anything can work to some degree, it's just that it's only going to be strong in very short lived fights against roughly even numbers. You're absolutely right about having the potential to straight up delete a meta comp though. Shutting down the heals and spiking the peelers would be ez gaem.

5 condi/power mirages who are created to look exactly the same.Quintuplets.

I've seen 4 identically looking condi/power mirages roaming party before and it was a clone horror fest for the opponents.Every mirage looked the same.And if one was being focused or low on health, he would run off and reset before rejoining the fight.They were un-killable equal numbered/skill.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:Healer Firebrand, Healer/peeler Druid, Condition Scourge, Power Holosmith, Power Spellbreaker.

Strong focus on Boon stripping/corrupting + CC lock downs and bursts. Druid peels when anyone is downed/low health and FB + Druid burst heal while stealthed. Scourge primarily focuses on keeping people busy with conditions while Holo creates area denial and lockdowns with the Spellbreaker. SB and Holo should be on the glassy side with the Scourge being full condition tank. Holo should be using Purity of Purpose + Hard Light Arena. Druid should be using Smokescale and everyone should be aware of blasting the Smoke Field and how quickly they can Stealth if they need it.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to roam with a small comp if you're fighting half decent randoms. This comp would be relatively weak to high ranged pressure and wouldn't have much damage if it wasn't co-ordinated on it's targets. It would be strongest in chokes or closed areas like Pangloss Mine, Rogue's Quarry, the ruins at the back of Blue keep EBG, etc.

Some comps are obviously going to be bad but, assuming everyone knows their classes and each other as well as being in comms, I'm sure you could be dangerous with just about anything. That doesn't mean you'll be successful even 50% of the time though assuming success is measured by completely wiping what ever you're fighting and moving on - not slowly back pedaling until what ever you're fighting gives up.

Thank you for an actual realistic suggestion.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:Healer Firebrand, Healer/peeler Druid, Condition Scourge, Power Holosmith, Power Spellbreaker.

I'm pretty sure my suggested 5 identical looking condi/power mirage comp would be a lot more mobile, versatile and deadly ;)

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

I'm pretty sure my suggested 5 identical looking condi/power mirage comp would be a lot more mobile, versatile and deadly ;)

lol... yeah but then its the whole

who is willing to play mes and who is willing to actually get good at playing?

But whats funny is, that is something my good friend and guildy thought of.Thought of doing 5 deadeyes as well.

But I like what spell mentioned, because I get to play the Druid, a class I am intimately familiar with and we have people that can play most of the other classes well.

One of my dreams is to run a 5-man rev party (it's my favorite class). Although I'm sure it would be far from meta, I feel like rev is one of the few classes that could run a relatively balanced comp without any other classes. They have group access to every boon but quickness, moderate cleansing, high healing, decent boonstrip, boonless damage reduction, solid CC, and good long-range spike damage and mid-range AoE condi damage. There could be some interesting potential there. I'd like to hope they will be getting some special rez interaction in the future with Ventari too since they are currently the only class with no rez trait or skill.

If anyone on KN/DR wants to theorycraft comps and maybe try it out if we got enough people, hit me up in game. This would just be for fun of course.

Two routes I think for 'best':

• mimic the zerg meta, heavy sustain, spike power damage with corrupts, rotate invuns/heals, engi very viable here.
  • super high mobility group (mes/thief/soul beast mainly with maybe a warr/engi/a few other things).

Whatever your group are skilled at play that primarily but maybe work towards one of those.

@"duillyn.2697" said:Two routes I think for 'best':

• mimic the zerg meta, heavy sustain, spike power damage with corrupts, rotate invuns/heals, engi very viable here.
  • super high mobility group (mes/thief/soul beast mainly with maybe a warr/engi/a few other things).

Whatever your group are skilled at play that primarily but maybe work towards one of those.Its pretty much the only two types I see, yes.

The former is almost always ran by the "fight guilds" and it demolishes groups of mediocre players and random meta pugs by pure sustain and the melee simply running after a single target tanking it while the dps kill the target. They can be very, very hard to break and if they meet lower numbers of roamers - which will usually be the case - they walk all over them. Just 1 or 2 good dps "hidden" in the tanky group is often enough.

If they are good roamers, the latter group perfectly counters the former group because each of them can individually fight 1v2/1v3 and break apart the minizerg meta group by focusing and refocusing the proper targets. If they down the "correct" 1-2 players of the minizerg it either totally loose its bite or cant bunker anymore which result in a wipe, but if a couple in this group down it really doesnt matter much aside number.

So pick your poison. Both are best at what they do best.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Ni In.6578 said:5 Soulbeasts with pew pew lb. What more do you need when you're doing 5v1s?Well nothing, until they meet that 1 mesmer that they kill themselves on. Sustain melee druids would probably be the far, far more annoying pack of hunters. Just the stealth spam alone means you can barely target anyone.

We both know that these groups run once they can't nuke a target in the first engagement.

@Spartacus.3192 said:The 5 identical mirages is the best suggestion. Unkillable due to easy reset and the clone spam horror would be crazy.The real question that sort of follows this though... then why do we only see meta fb/scourge/warrior/weaver/holo/etc combos at this size? I mean even just 5 mirages as is with no similarity should be enough, right? I dont question that!

Yet in all my time roaming/smallscaling the biggest concentration I've seen in one place has been 3 enemy condi mirages - and they got completely walked over by a hybrid and power mirage combo (5 mesmers fighting in one place was fun).

In terms of identical mesmers for the lols, I've seen 2-mans though I cant even remember last as it was long ago.

Has anyone actually seen this mythical 5 man mirage group?

Archived