Are week long match ups too long?

In principle I agree that 7-day match-up probably doesn't work the way it was intended, nor the way we wish.

In practice I can't see any other way of doing it at this stage, because no matter how they change it, we're going to have ravening hordes of frothing forum-nerds screaming that it's unfair, stupid, doesn't work, un-balanced, kittens over their server/alliance, etc. Because lets face it, the WvW players as a whole will never agree on anything.

Just look at some of the options:

• 1-day match
  • weekend-match/week-match (2/5 or 3/4)
  • 2/2/3-day match
  • Timezone-matches (8h/8h/8h, or 6h/6h/6h/6h)

We still can't decide if we like linking or not, or alliances or not.

Because every single player is different, have different expectations, wishes, needs, positives or negatives etc. Suddenly you got this guy in NA that works weird hours, and can only play late at night at weekdays, and any of the ones above might really ruin his feeling of contributing to the game mode.

This is the kind of change that ANet has to make, specifically without trying to ask/feel out the community. Because asking won't get them anywhere, and no matter what they pick it will be a negative for someone. With the general attitude on these forums the last few years, any change would be seen as a negative, just because it is a change, and everyone always expects the worst.

Doesn't matter how long you make a matchup since coverage is a thing, and coverage will get you the most scoring.Scoring doesn't work unless you have balanced teams in short periods.

Wvw needs to move on from the broken scoring system and find another system to use(that ain't happening), like every other wvw game has done in the past and present. Warhammer online, Planetside 1 & 2, Elder scrolls online, Dark age of camelot, etc.

Sometimes

I've been fortunate so far to see those weeks coming and plan accordingly. Like if this week for example were a boring week, I might do SAB on my at accounts or if I got bored with SAB I might go after Redeeming IG...still not sure what to do tomorrow though, a mean IF this were one of those weeks ;)

What would help this problem tremendously is if players realized there is no cost to losing and nothing to gain from winning so what they ought to do is log on when they feel like it and just play the game, bc running around and fighting other players is fun . . .

This is an interesting topic. It is certainly a question that can be asked even if it doesn't have a clear cut answer.

Arena Net could eg., experiment with 48- or 72-hour stretches, perhaps with off-days inbetween, just to see how the community will adapt to it They could make one stretch start on a weekend and another stretch end on a weekend. Then there could be a midweek day off with some kind of event instead. It may not be necessary but it could be something to at least explore and see the effects of.

@"Kylden Ar.3724" said:You almost had me at apple pie (cause Pie) but then I gave a real answer.

Been saying for a while that scoring and maps should reset every 24 hours and the matchup should be the best of 7 for the week. Would help stop that "matchup winner determined by Sunday" issue.

Wouldnt coverage be An issue?

I mean, if everything resetted Everyday the winner would be either the strongest server AFTER primetime OR the servers with back2back strongest coverage (you cant go on defense on certain timezones when most is paper and a timezone before reset you only have to defend)

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

@"Kylden Ar.3724" said:You almost had me at apple pie (cause Pie) but then I gave a real answer.

Been saying for a while that scoring and maps should reset every 24 hours and the matchup should be the best of 7 for the week. Would help stop that "matchup winner determined by Sunday" issue.

I mean, if everything resetted Everyday the winner would be either the strongest server AFTER primetime OR the servers with back2back strongest coverage (you cant go on defense on certain timezones when most is paper and a timezone before reset you only have to defend)

Would coverage be an issue regardless of length?

Yes. Yes it would.

Again, the length of the match is irrelevant to the issues of an unbalanced matchup and the feeling of being useless against T3 objectives a server that already won just sits in.

If anything a daily reset will just make everyone loose interest in a quickly revolving WvW, because its no longer a community ritual on fridays. The reset is what keeps WvW together. If people want to kill WvW... well that seems like a common theme for most suggestions.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Would coverage be an issue regardless of length?

Yes. Yes it would.

Again, the length of the match is irrelevant to the issues of an unbalanced matchup and the feeling of being useless against T3 objectives a server that already won just sits in.

If anything a daily reset will just make everyone loose interest in a quickly revolving WvW, because its no longer a community ritual on fridays. The reset is what keeps WvW together. If people want to kill WvW... well that seems like a common theme for most suggestions.

You right

But wouldnt reset on a Daily base (own ebg corner and home bl) and everything else to t0 on a skirmish base (when skirmish laatste 8 hrs) be a better option?

OR Just skirmishes in general (if skirmish goes for 8 hrs)

@Dawdler.8521 said:If anything a daily reset will just make everyone loose interest in a quickly revolving WvW, because its no longer a community ritual on fridays. The reset is what keeps WvW together. If people want to kill WvW... well that seems like a common theme for most suggestions.

what if reset was daily, or every few days? how is that worse off?

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:Everyone hates getting stuck into an unwinnable match up for a week with absolutely no hope. Its depressing, makes people log, or even play other games.

On the other hand, it gives a sense of progress and community when striving to win for longer periods of time.

No one sane gives a toss about "winning" the matchup, as a competitive game mode it doesn't work whether the matchup is 7 days or 7 hours, so is basically meaningless. Which is one of the reasons RvR is virtually non-existent in games, it simply fails at the most fundamental of levels.

A week long match up is a whole week long... I don't know if the week could be shorter but... nope 7 days is a week.. and Friday night is the best time for reset since it's the beginning of the weekend. ;)

After all is said and done the score is a waste of space... it's really only good for the up and down movement of the server groups. When you get to the toxic ridiculous T1 mess you get double blobbed and just wait until you can drop back to T2 for some more normal and fun fights. It is what it is. As long as the bandwagoning continues to the linked servers nothing will change... and we know nothing will change.... alliances? maybe next year???

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:If anything a daily reset will just make everyone loose interest in a quickly revolving WvW, because its no longer a community ritual on fridays. The reset is what keeps WvW together. If people want to kill WvW... well that seems like a common theme for most suggestions.

what if reset was daily, or every few days? how is that worse off?To me thats the same question as asking how 1 minute matches in battle royale games would be any worse than how they are now. I mean, 1 minute is lots of action!

But really, how is it any better? All you will end up with is a meaningless reset no one will see any significance of and the stronger server still wins just as good. Instead of strong tiers we'll have strong days where servers loose just because one of their commanders wasnt online for 8 hours, or such and so guild didnt raid that day. Short resets put alot of stress on the players to stay online "for their server". I dont want GW2 to end up in the MMO no-lifer rabbit hole. At its core, GW2 is casual. But it's not that casual. We got a war going, not short matchup fights. Or what, can you tell me which color won EoTM 18 resets ago? Does anyone care?

The problem here is the activity level. Weekend will always have more activity than weekday. So, how can you hope to balance these two given the fact that some servers can be so fat in weekend with queues and come weekday, it become a ghost town? How can we hope to balance this in a ladder design? By having two type of matchup ladder? One for weekend? One for weekday?

You're a better person than me, evidently :P

I wouldn't have a problem with this, as you're right that a lot of the match is decided over the weekend, and while close matches can go right up til the friday lunchtime or even later with good competition, usually thursday and friday are chill out days because the result is unchangeable by that point.

That said, night time coverage is a thing and will continue to be a thing even with this setup, because even if a server loses reset outright it can be ahead by sat morning due to coverage. If reset happens when it does, that means it's midday for US servers, so people with jobs etc won't have chance to deal with servers that cap overnight before the match is won. If night capping server 1 wins 3 matches by monday teatime then the other servers might as well give it up, so I can see your suggestion either having the same results as the current system or even exacerbating the issue rather than solving it.

Personally I think longer matches are better for this reason, as it gives day time players with real life commitments as much chance to influence the outcome as night time players, and while night time players have a larger impact on scores per person playing, they have a right to play the game too. With skirmishes set up how they are, it's the best middle ground we're gonna get I think.

Archived