how would you introduce new players to wvw?

Sovereign.1093

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For WvW in general: It's a simple concept in which you are trying to control territory, the longer you hold it the more valuable it is. Contrary to what fight guilds will have you believe, WvW is also about capture points (holdings) similar to sPvP and not pure PPK (points per kill).Once the person understands this concept the point of capping camps and towers is evident. Camps tier quicker when you hold a tower ; keeps can't tier up without camps. On Alpine borderlands and Eternal Battlegrounds , holding towers also has strategic value due to the reach of trebuchets.

For a group environment: You put them on a class that won't die as easily (rev or scourge , spellbreaker if not berserker gear) and tell them to run a WvW stat gear , use food+ utility even if it's a cheaper one (not the magic find one since you get nothing valuable 99% of the time), stay out of red circles + get in comms. Asking a new player to run something like firebrand/guardian/scrapper (or ele...) is asking for severe trouble.

Warrior : alright if spellbreaker, berserker needs more vitality gearRev: Hammer HeraldsScourge: bad idea without mount unless party has superspeed/swiftness up all the time and doesn't use mountsGuardian : bad idea due to gearing and need for coordination + timingweaver Ele: terrible idea due to glassiness and need for timing on meteorScrapper : terrible idea because of reliance on knowing when to clear condis and to stay in vicinity of playersMesmers: need timing on veil/portalRangers: can only hit single target unless traited , eats reflect bubbles and spellbreaker bubbles in a group environmentDaredevils: requires dodging a lot moretempest auramancer: unless you are coordinated the auras will be wasted

Also every time you pass an objective there's already "assault/defend" that pops up, so the above factors are the ones I'd think need to be mentioned.

@Voltekka.2375 said:Thing is, new players need to introduce themselves in wvw. So they can be properly helped, IF they want to. In my experience, most dont like being told what to do, unless they themselves wanna learn it from others. So, yeah. New people need to acknowledge that they need help, and ask for it.

In my experience the quality of help on offer is abysmal ... , and quality Guilds, that can teach, are flippen scarce ...

@Elf Lord.8962 said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Thing is, new players need to introduce themselves in wvw. So they can be properly helped, IF they want to. In my experience, most dont like being told what to do, unless they themselves wanna learn it from others. So, yeah. New people need to acknowledge that they need help, and ask for it.

In my experience the quality of help on offer is abysmal ... , and quality Guilds, that can teach, are flippen scarce ...

I disagree. Community guilds can help immensely, as well as individual players. Granted, trolls will be trolls, but advice IS there. Teaching someone how to play is harder than it sounds, cause that would require both parties to be interested in it. Needles to say, most newbies (at least in my experience) get frustrated easily, cant stand dying all over, and wont take advice easily cause "I KNOW HOW TO PLAY"

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:Thing is, new players need to introduce themselves in wvw. So they can be properly helped, IF they want to. In my experience, most dont like being told what to do, unless they themselves wanna learn it from others. So, yeah. New people need to acknowledge that they need help, and ask for it.

I disagree. Community guilds can help immensely, as well as individual players. Granted, trolls will be trolls, but advice IS there. Teaching someone how to play is harder than it sounds, cause that would require both parties to be interested in it. Needles to say, most newbies (at least in my experience) get frustrated easily, cant stand dying all over, and wont take advice easily cause "I KNOW HOW TO PLAY"

haha, this is true. i was that newbie years ago. >.<

i have a few newbies now who knows a lot because they do their own research. and came prepared.

some even devise really nice fight strategies. compared to my simple stay tight and push.

@Elf Lord.8962 said:

how are guilds supposed to teach that you can consider adequate?

Just add cinematic guides in game including complex scoring and simple description of strategies.

ANET cant really promote any particular builds but they can bring awareness of what is team responsibility and power of supporting your teammates. Just 1 guy promoting metabattle or some other WvW build site on teamchat every 30 min, can reach dozens of newbies every day.

New players will get more help if they improve the state of game mode in general because consious people, that can perceive things from other perspectives than their personal gain, don't autopilot and dislike monodimensional stale metas. So they play other games. This includes the commanders that taught all of us how to play.

In my opinion, WvW sucks as a new player if you have no friends to play with, or nobody to roam with, and not in a Guild. Here what I have learned,

1. Get the WarClaw Achievement as your first priority!.
  2. Find a guild that does WvW. Join their discord , and also your server discord, or any open to public.
  3. If you can't find a Commander Tag anywhere on 3 maps, then Roam with friends, solo or tag along with other people.
  4. Find Your Build that fit your PlayStyle. Go to Hearth of the Mist, learn the class skills, traits, elite spec, and test it.
  5. Watch YouTube or go to twitch, find gw2 that streams wvw or pvp. Ask questions!

wvw has gotten too predictable and stale I posted on here about trying Something New Have not seen any comments. If the game mode was not so predictable and opened up, I think you would get newbies to join in. It would change strategy and newbies would not feel so noob I think though.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Thing is, new players need to introduce themselves in wvw. So they can be properly helped, IF they want to. In my experience, most dont like being told what to do, unless they themselves wanna learn it from others. So, yeah. New people need to acknowledge that they need help, and ask for it.

To get quality teaching/learning you have to have a good, to very good Guild to start with, the number of such Guilds is dwindling - fast. Number of Gung-Ho here we go, guilds are springing up like mushrooms and disappear as fast.

"I am leveling a Guard, what sort of build should I be aiming at?"

Typical Answer:

"Go Minstrel "

Minstrel is a stat set, not a build, so it goes, getting better answers is like pulling teeth. When you get to the third or fourth one, you decide it is way to painful, and you quit.

@Elf Lord.8962 said:

To get quality teaching/learning you have to have a good, to very good Guild to start with, the number of such Guilds is dwindling - fast. Number of Gung-Ho here we go, guilds are springing up like mushrooms and disappear as fast.

"I am leveling a Guard, what sort of build should I be aiming at?"

Typical Answer:

"Go Minstrel "

Minstrel is a stat set, not a build, so it goes, getting better answers is like pulling teeth. When you get to the third or fourth one, you decide it is way to painful, and you quit.

how would you teach?

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:1st) They watch a Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s45uLHJAbrc

2nd) They learn the 3 easy steps to start WvW with a group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yufkxAU3Jw

3rd) They learn the things that they can do when alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpD6hubUIPg

4th) They can now join the Christmas celebrations in WvW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIpp-VgOTzk

You missed out on the most important guide :

5th. Learn where to find the best spot to AFK and earn pips.

@"Sovereign.1093" said:i ask because it is assumed players know what to do. hence the unbearable presure for these pugs to perform at par with someone who has spent atleast 30 days in a wvw guild.

share your tips.

You see couple of enemy "vT" guild players approaching.Tell the new player...go say "Hi" to them :)

I'd start at following tags - this is in the process of getting used to the environment, one large barrier to players who are invested in learning this gamemode is the often multiple shorthand for a single place, that people use to call stuff out. And once you recognise what shorthand means you'll be able to start focusing on specific locations as scouts call them.This also allows you to get used to seige and learn how seige works / situations its used for.

Next, try scouting too. This is largely just checking key areas for enemies, assessing the size of the force on contested areas, and calling out anywhere that is contested (ideally with size of force + % health on the gate/wall/champion they are attacking). Experienced scouts can often call out specific numbers give or take 5, but to begin with it's honestly fine saying "small group at x" "huge blob at y"- even the general indicators are better than nothing and will indicate whether a zerg is needed to fight it, or whether a few roamers and some seige will do. A scout also has some defense duties, but to start off don't worry about them (but for the sake of info, a lone scout should use the seige on things- cannons and the like- if the structure they are at gets attacked- even a small hinderance may delay for enough time for a larger force to come, unless it's a few roamers breaking in you will be unlikely to stop the attack.)

As for builds, the basic part is- you want toughness and/or vitality on your gear because going full dps will mean you'll die to just about everything- minstrel stats for supports, maurader i thiiiink for power dps, trailblazer for condition damage. When you know more about builds stat combinations will get very specific, but that broad division works best to begin with.Utility and weapon set wise, it's almost crucial to have stability because being CCed = dead before you can recover most of the time. I think there's a lot of advice i have on building in terms of counters and such, but i can't think of much that's as generally useful as stability, many counters are situational.

Regaurdless of roam or zerg, joining a guild will allow much more personal and specific advice on being good at WvW- usually shouting out something like "looking for -insert server here- guild for a newbie willing to learn" in team chat will take care of that.

Biggest advice overall is be fine with taking criticism; PvP modes time immemorial always attract bad attitudes, recognise this, and that some criticism will be laced with rage (and sometimes rage is just rage with no criticism), and sometimes it will be nicer in tone- my personal experience in WvW is i found that when i admitted i was new to a thing people were much nicer about mistakes AND also gave me actual advice on how to do things better, even people who initially turned to that rage reaction.