My Mesmer feels so much weaker in the open world than....

Josiah.2967

The Mesmer is generally my "fun" character.  Now it feels so much weaker than my Guardian, Ranger, Engineer and more. I feel like it's now the worst performing spec in Open World. I use to play Chrono Sword/Sword and Great Sword for casual fun; however, now it just feels like the equivalent of activating hard mode. 

1.) Harder rotation -> Check

2.) Less Damage -> Check, Check

3.) Less Survivability -> Check, Check, Check

This felt way more competitive 6 months ago. What happened? Does anyone have a competitive open-world build. I know you can play open world...blah blah... However, something feels off now. I don't understand what changed in the last 6 months that was so extreme...

Edited by Josiah.2967
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

• Josiah.2967 changed the title to My Mesmer feels so much weaker in the open world than....

this post struck as a bit odd because not much has changed in regard to (open world) power mesmer builds in the last 6 months, the only notable exception being the danger time nerf. confusion was also reworked, but s/s gs chrono doesnt use that. so if you find your build feeling weak now, you probably shouldve felt it being weak 6 months ago

there are a few recurring mesmer builds for open world:

tagging mobs/multi target - gs ambush mirage

bursting trash - a variety of power shatter builds

soloing bosses - torment runes trailblazer mirage

theres a possibility that you run low crit chance (e.g. full zerk setup is 70% with fury, not 100%) and the game has just decided to constantly give you bad crit rolls

S/S, ya, not great survivability. Though that did not change for years. GS though? You literally spam phantasms and GS2. You almost dont get hit. It is very easy and super effective in open world.

And of course, by mesmer you mean Chrono. Cuz you know… mirage exists. Mirage with torment runes is probably the strongest solo open world build of any class. Even without torment runes, its survivability is pretty high.

• Like 1

You are not alone! I myself have noticed it, and my best friend has also noticed it. I know that they made condi better recently so mirage is shining now. What they did to chrono though I have no idea but she was definitely nerfed. I did read somewhere (sorry  no idea where it was) that AN typically nerfs classes right before they drop an new expansion. I have no idea if that's what they've done or not. But there is a difference. She does almost no damage now and her survivability sucks and no I do not run glass builds. 

• Like 1

Depends what you are trying to do with it in OW ... 

11 hours ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

there are a few recurring mesmer builds for open world:

tagging mobs/multi target - gs ambush mirage

bursting trash - a variety of power shatter builds

soloing bosses - torment runes trailblazer mirage

Mesmer is a decent class OW and as this poster points out, numerous effective and different builds to play to do it. I would say it's weakest point is bursting trash as the concept of build up classes doesn't really work with consistent, frequent bursts for trash mobs. For Trash bursts, I'm using Viper Mirage Axe as opposed to a pure DPS shatter. Typically, hybrid DPS isn't well suited for trash, but it works on this class. 

Maybe post your build so we can see it and provide feedback. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

buffing might on PU is a big nono, we dont want stealth 1shot mesmer to be a thing.
removing it on the other hand could make it slightly more viable I guess ? the real question is, if we should want skill like PU to be viable. It promotes long duration stealth which is boring.
If anything they could make you take 50% reduced condi and power damage when stealth, and move 50% faster for the first 3s. 
with a reasonable cooldown. So that it might act as a reasonable defense, but not something that you just spam without a pause.

• Like 2

From my experience power mirage definitely seems the most fun and the fastest way to deal with ow content. Thought you might want to keep condi gear for bosses and such since they offer more damage and survivality, where power variant quickly turns into down-state mesmer.

Wish chrono was more competitive, dealing with phantasms is just too much work for what seems like little reward.

• Like 1

I haven't found Chrono to be BOTH low DPS and low Survivability at the same time.  I run a variety of nonsense builds that are quite capable and enjoyable to play in OW depending on what I want to do.  They probably favour higher survivability, since I typically run with Chaos or Inspiration, but they don't use complex rotations.

I think this is partially a perception issue, not necessarily for the OP but in cases where this comes up (as the OP is repeating the same post we have seen here before).

If we chase the highest DPS for a build, it is expected to give up something.  The more DPS we want, the more we sacrifice.  To the point that 'optimal' DPS play is very narrow in how you build, what your rotation is, how you approach an encounter.  They are also very punishing if you fail to play optimally, or more likely, the build doesn't suit the encounter you are facing. 

However, perhaps going for the 'best' DPS is not the best thing to do in every game mode and situation.  And, we can infer a state of dissatisfaction from some players like the OP, who may be trying to push DPS to the extreme at the cost of individual fun and sense of satisfaction.

I treat Mesmer as a profession that won't be the best at most things in most cases, but can be very strong in all situations.  I avoid pure DPS builds and focus on gameplay mechanics that feel fun and rewarding, provide decent DPS and sustain, even group support.  Open World does allow a lot of flexibility in how you play the game, use it to explore new builds that make you feel good to play!

Abandoned mesmer long time ago, but my power GS mirage with stamina/energy sigils and either zerker/diviner 100% swiftness with speed runes or zerker vampiric runes is my go to event farmer/tagger. It's amazing. Tags like a boss, safe, satisfying. Only weakness is sustained single target damage, or very hard hitting long lasting bosses. Still very workable there though. Got a trailblazer setup for tough bosses.

Edited by Crackmonster.2790

Biggest issue I've had with power chrono in the overworld is how inconsistent phantasm damage is.  Phantasm damage is delayed, which leads to me taking more damage from enemies as well as overkilling those same enemies.  Charging enemies will inadvertently dodge some phantasms.

Otherwise, I don't have many complaints.  Most enemies die after hitting GS 5 and PHantasmal Disenchanter.  You just have to wait a bit for it to get done.  

On 10/5/2021 at 1:12 AM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Biggest issue I've had with power chrono in the overworld is how inconsistent phantasm damage is.  Phantasm damage is delayed, which leads to me taking more damage from enemies as well as overkilling those same enemies.  Charging enemies will inadvertently dodge some phantasms.

Otherwise, I don't have many complaints.  Most enemies die after hitting GS 5 and PHantasmal Disenchanter.  You just have to wait a bit for it to get done.  

That’s why I love Phantasmal Haste in Illusions. Makes them hurry the kitten up.

Power Mesmers best defence is offence, their spike saves the day in open world almost always to me. It just need to be played very aggressively. I think with stealth and blink Mesmer is not underpowered at all, maybe just needs bit more strategy. That of course doesn’t change the fact they’re not as strong as they used to be I agree

I just play condi staff mirage and have had zero problems at all and even when i leveled my mesmer i had way less problems doing things than any other of my characters and that includes my necromancer but to be fair that class just bores me to death and because how it plays i forget to dodge and then i am dead.

Not sure what to tell you.

I'm running around with a staff/staff mirage mesmer, and other than groups of smokescales in verdant brink, I wreck basically everything.  

The build I'm using.

Like, I'm certain I could get more damage out of it if I swapped to axe/something, but I prefer the aesthetic of staff.

Like, ranger and necro are both easier, and I'm sure other classes wreck face better - but for general PvE, this is the most fun I've had in years.

My only complaint is that I don't have the 25% movement speed from chrono.

7 hours ago, stale.9785 said:

Not sure what to tell you.

I'm running around with a staff/staff mirage mesmer, and other than groups of smokescales in verdant brink, I wreck basically everything.  

The build I'm using.

Like, I'm certain I could get more damage out of it if I swapped to axe/something, but I prefer the aesthetic of staff.

Like, ranger and necro are both easier, and I'm sure other classes wreck face better - but for general PvE, this is the most fun I've had in years.

My only complaint is that I don't have the 25% movement speed from chrono.

Any reason you aren't using Infinite Horizon? ALOT more damage using IH with this build. Feel like you're wasting Deceptive Evasion by not using it. 

8 hours ago, Ronald McDonald.8165 said:

Any reason you aren't using Infinite Horizon? ALOT more damage using IH with this build. Feel like you're wasting Deceptive Evasion by not using it. 

Because wherever I was at the time I was posting that, I was being absolutely mauled with conditions - enough that mantra of resolve wasn't keeping up - and I just copied my build directly yesterday.

Just use GS to tag everything mirage or chrono is fine mesmer is a great class to do solo OW on still but for joining blobs not so much tagging is still issue with this class has always been but in the past we had great organized content presence so many mesmers didn't care. Or organized content power is vastly weaker maybe weakest in the game chrono minstrel tank is really the only thing we have left.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:53 PM, Josiah.2967 said:

The Mesmer is generally my "fun" character.  Now it feels so much weaker than my Guardian, Ranger, Engineer and more. I feel like it's now the worst performing spec in Open World. I use to play Chrono Sword/Sword and Great Sword for casual fun; however, now it just feels like the equivalent of activating hard mode. 

1.) Harder rotation -> Check

2.) Less Damage -> Check, Check

3.) Less Survivability -> Check, Check, Check

This felt way more competitive 6 months ago. What happened? Does anyone have a competitive open-world build. I know you can play open world...blah blah... However, something feels off now. I don't understand what changed in the last 6 months that was so extreme...

if you playing chrono in OW play this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABw2xzlVw2YdMPWJW6WataA-zxQYhonrYHkeIYOA-e the only iffy thing this is you need slow on target to crit 100%, with this build you have perma fury quickness and 25 might easily (no other class has easy access to all that) chrono got nerfed months ago but its still very good and i think those 3 points you listed are subjective.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 7:36 PM, necromaniac.7629 said:

if you playing chrono in OW play this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABw2xzlVw2YdMPWJW6WataA-zxQYhonrYHkeIYOA-e the only iffy thing this is you need slow on target to crit 100%, with this build you have perma fury quickness and 25 might easily (no other class has easy access to all that) chrono got nerfed months ago but its still very good and i think those 3 points you listed are subjective.

doesent improved alacrity provide higher dps? even with perma slow ?