Ranger Pets in PvP

Crab Fear.1624

The hard CC need some kind of visual tell, like red rings for melee, and the red lazer beam for ranged.

Also, stop having them do it immediately on pet swap.

Also, when I am fighting ranger and greater then 600 units but less than 900 units, does the pet spawn on me when the swap happens versus the ranger?

It feels so instant, and without a good tell, hard to avoid.

Please fix these for competitive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

One example is wolf knockdown.

There needs to be a tell for these kind of kds and also the pulls.

Also, on pet swap the pet should spawn by the ranger, not the target.

It is not hard to understand.

Wolf has an animation and does not spawn 600 range from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, ollbirtan.2915 said:

Another weekly round of  'please nerf class xxx / skill xxx'? I also, don't understand the issue. -shrug- 

Yes, because hard that is nearly instant without any visual tell is completly fine.

So is an invisible pet that spawn on you when the ranger pet swaps to complete said cc.

It is even worse when the pets avatar takes time to render so you get false stealth pet while they complete this hard cc.

You can shrug away, hopefully you are holding weights while you do it, so it accomplishes something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, aymnad.9023 said:

Wolf has an animation and does not spawn 600 range from you.

Then it must be a bug, because it does spawn on you.

I have taken many duels and the pet will often spawn behind me when I am in this range window.

More so happens when there is a difference in elevation, but still walkable.

Edited by Crab Fear.1624
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

Then it must be a bug, because it does spawn on you.

Maybe? I have not experienced it yet. Was it once in a while or all the time? I just tried on golems and it was close to me. It sounds more like the smokescale.

If this is really a bug then yes it should be fixed.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

The hard CC need some kind of visual tell, like red rings for melee, and the red lazer beam for ranged.

Also, stop having them do it immediately on pet swap.

Also, when I am fighting ranger and greater then 600 units but less than 900 units, does the pet spawn on me when the swap happens versus the ranger?

It feels so instant, and without a good tell, hard to avoid.

Please fix these for competitive.

I assume you mean smokescale/jaracanda/gazelle the usual.
1 First of all, pet swap always happens on rangers location
2 Pet swapping is instant, and most rangers run trait that gives both them AND the pet quickness ( important )
3 When you switch with gazelle, you can instantly order her to do a head toss ( 0,75s cast time ) but look at point 2, it has quickness so its much faster. If you know enemy runs gazelle you need to keep that in mind, he can switch to it and knock you down rather quickly ( more like 0,5s, not quite instant but still very fast, and can be done while CCed )
4 Smokescale knockdown, freshly swapped scale will start with the rev port attack, and follow up with bitedown ( knockdown )
The animation is actually very clear if you played ranger yourself
1 the pet stops in its place, there is noise notification, ( kind of like a wind getting sucked in or something, hard to describe ) there is also some small whiteish? thingy near scale too if I remember right, then it leaps at you ( if you see smokescale stop to channel it you dont have to time your dodge, if you dodge away you will create enough distance that it will miss anyways, if you dont know the timing you can just use dodge directly away and it will work 90% of the time )
TLDR
1 Pay attention to what pet ranger is running
2 know what the pets can do
3 know their tells
Nothing pets do is instant, and usually it actually takes really long time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I will say ranger has access to alot of stuns especially soulbeast + wolf pet. But they are ultimately easy to counter and only really work on interrupting long castes or chain stunning in a group. If I fight a guardian and he just tanks my dps, the stuns mean nothing. If I get a theif and he sticks around long enough for me to stun him a few time he is dead. 

Edited by Mell.4873

On 10/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

2 Pet swapping is instant, and most rangers run trait that gives both them AND the pet quickness ( important )
3 When you switch with gazelle, you can instantly order her to do a head toss ( 0,75s cast time ) but look at point 2, it has quickness so its much faster. If you know enemy runs gazelle you need to keep that in mind, he can switch to it and knock you down rather quickly ( more like 0,5s, not quite instant but still very fast, and can be done while CCed )
4 Smokescale knockdown, freshly swapped scale will start with the rev port attack, and follow up with bitedown ( knockdown )
1 the pet stops in its place, there is noise notification, ( kind of like a wind getting sucked in or something, hard to describe ) there is also some small whiteish? thingy near scale too if I remember right, then it leaps at you ( if you see smokescale stop to channel it you dont have to time your dodge, if you dodge away you will create enough distance that it will miss anyways, if you dont know the timing you can just use dodge directly away and it will work 90% of the time )
TLDR
3 know their tells

That being said, I still think smokescale needs at the very least a notification ring.

Drake too. Players are already dealing with the cooldowns/animations on the ranger, there shouldnt be any nebulousness when it comes to the pets at all, especially because:

This is not always the case, as has been mentioned in the past. There will be fringe cases from time to time when takedown is on CD after smoke assault is used, and thus doesnt come out immediately after. If it is not -always- the case it needs to have at the very least a better indicator. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

43 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

That being said, I still think smokescale needs at the very least a notification ring.

Drake too. Players are already dealing with the cooldowns/animations on the ranger, there shouldnt be any nebulousness when it comes to the pets at all, especially because:

This is not always the case, as has been mentioned in the past. There will be fringe cases from time to time when takedown is on CD after smoke assault is used, and thus doesnt come out immediately after. If it is not -always- the case it needs to have at the very least a better indicator. 

I honestly dont think smokes-scale needs better tell, the only time you wont see it is when its covered by all other aoe dog kitten going on, and then one can argue if that wont just add to the problem.
But either way I would be fine with better animation.
As for dragon, breath attack balls are super small, they could make drake get covered by lightning or something when it does its attack, I as ranger cant even tell if the pet does it lol

Crab does have a point here. 

Visual tells in this game aren't as clear as they could be. Perhaps I'm spoiled by MOBAs and fighters, but it's a lot harder to tell what's happening to you in this game than in other games unless you have very specific knowledge about the opposing class to help "fill in the blanks". 

Trying to notice subtle hand waving on a min size asura when the damage splash covers up their model and there are various other particles obscuring that information isn't an easy task. 

It's a big reason why I don't come to Gw2 to satisfy my itch for competition, and turn to games like League instead (even though league has its own flaws). Unfortunately it's not an easy problem to fix. Getting visual clarity right would require major animation overhauls with competitive in mind. 

Technically some ranger pets do have tells (Except for the taunt trait on pet skill, if that's still even a thing) BUT the class is still braindead because what do you dodge the ranger or the pet? You dodge maul, the pet will get a free knockdown, you dodge pet you get a free maul.

The class has BEEN WHEELCHAIR MODE since launch, every ranger who tried a different class got destroyed and came crying back to ranger because they couldn't handle not having a pet help bait dodges automatically for them.

Edited by BlackTruth.6813
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

TLDR
3 know their tells

I'll just find the old videos and repost them, I'll try to record again to show that the per does indeed at least sometime spawn on the foe.

I wouldn't mention it if it didn't happen.

Sometime even spawning mid performing, mid animation of a KD.

I am aware of the teleports.

The combo with smoke is 99% evade attack into so that is at least predictable.

Edited by Crab Fear.1624

Of course pets are OP but they are here to stay. In ideal world I would prefer them to go into downstate along with ranger. Having them attack and chase you after you win a duel and potentially killing you at the end is broken. Especially because when they down you, you are basically defenceless - they turbo Rez the ranger and you’re gone.

it is very unfair and very unfun in my opinion. Yes the pet AI is bad but the above functionality is just too strong

Edited by Mik.3401

7 hours ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

I'll just find the old videos and repost them, I'll try to record again to show that the per does indeed at least sometime spawn on the foe.

I wouldn't mention it if it didn't happen.

Sometime even spawning mid performing, mid animation of a KD.

I am aware of the teleports.

The combo with smoke is 99% evade attack into so that is at least predictable.

Dunno, Im closing in on 1k ranger games in pvp and never seen it happen.
The closest I could think is switching to smokescale, it teleports and gets insta stunned so it looks like it spawned on top of someone.
Also, just checked the scale.
Knockdown has a long sound queue AND white windy glow in smokescales head, but the KD seems to come out faster then the tooltip says ( 0,75s ) but it feels like its closer to 0,5-0,6s then again maybe its my slow boomer brain

8 hours ago, BlackTruth.6813 said:

Technically some ranger pets do have tells (Except for the taunt trait on pet skill, if that's still even a thing) BUT the class is still braindead because what do you dodge the ranger or the pet? You dodge maul, the pet will get a free knockdown, you dodge pet you get a free maul.

The class has BEEN WHEELCHAIR MODE since launch, every ranger who tried a different class got destroyed and came crying back to ranger because they couldn't handle not having a pet help bait dodges automatically for them.

Show me on the doll where the rangers touched you.

• Haha 9

17 minutes ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

Dunno, Im closing in on 1k ranger games in pvp and never seen it happen.
The closest I could think is switching to smokescale, it teleports and gets insta stunned so it looks like it spawned on top of someone.
Also, just checked the scale.
Knockdown has a long sound queue AND white windy glow in smokescales head, but the KD seems to come out faster then the tooltip says ( 0,75s ) but it feels like its closer to 0,5-0,6s then again maybe its my slow boomer brain

My complaints are not about smoke

It's evade into kd is predictable.

It's fine, but red ring would be nice anyway 

Edited by Crab Fear.1624

17 hours ago, Arklite.4013 said:

My biggest complaint is getting tail swiped for 7k

Class is honestly kitten tier rn, when drake gets nerfed rangers will just swap to felines and do exactly what they do now; instead of having a single overloaded skill (5k lightning ball, 7k tail swipe) they will just kitten around until pet autoattack kills you. Just as effective, nothing really change, it will be more bruiser oriented and less bursty, but the ending result is the same.
t requires far more than a fat nerf on some pet to change the style.

Winter's bite is absurdely bloated with a very low cd, gs has literally EVERYTHING (movement, dodge, block, more dodge -why tf the block have a dodge as well?-, 2 crowd controls and heavy damage), smokescale smoke field has an absurdely low cooldown to allow for endless resets and same goes for longbow's stealth arrow, lightning reflex being a condicleanse\dodge\big vigor\stunbreak on 24s cooldown is honestly a joke, pets getting killed has virtually no drawback (it theorically does raise slightly the CD on pet swap, but pets are so sturdy that killing them once is already a huge task with no payoff, let alone killing 2 and having anything left for the ranger).

I don't even want to nerf the class because it's all around very solid and working as intendend. It's the rest of the roster being limited with pepega tier damage, having almost no tools to actually do anything against this kind of playstyle.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695

On 10/19/2021 at 1:22 AM, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

(it theorically does raise slightly the CD on pet swap

It theoretically slightly raise the cooldown? It's a 200 % increase of the base duration.

Winter's Bite might be bloated, but Splitblade is meh.

Pets sturdy? Funny. Play any aoe spam build and see the pet either melt or being called back. Fire weaver works wonder against valk ranger.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2021 at 1:22 AM, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

I don't even want to nerf the class because it's all around very solid and working as intendend. It's the rest of the roster being limited with pepega tier damage, having almost no tools to actually do anything against this kind of playstyle.

Well, thats where anti-bunker crusade has lead us to, place where multiple classes got stripped of most defensive tools that could counter some playstyles to some degree... Reason why Anet should finaly adress why bunkers were the issue rather than try to fight defensive options, because they are like Don Kichote fighting with Mills causing only random damage to balance.