It turns out that the 2 most disappointing EoD specs use hammer

very under whelming, core ranger is still better in SPVP which i find odd. Here is how i would fix it. Add a modifier on the line that gives toughness based on precision. We rangers do not really use precision anyway but most have it from the carion amulet or from the berserker amulet- short bow is condition long is power.

That would make it so that you do not die in 3 hits. Also an ability should exist that as long as you are unleashed you gain stability and can not be cced or knocked down. Because ranger has low hp and lower armour due to be medium armour we need that hp.

Otherwise why even run this new spec for the hammer? I can just use the other or use warden to heal which is still more useful then the hammer

19 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

hard disagree. Vindicator was one of the best new specs and greatword is awesome. 

Catalyst on the other hand, was as bad as bad gets.

Agree to disagree. For open world sure and greatsword looks great (for open world only). But anywhere outside of there, slow attacks, low damage, non existent cc, bugged skill and jump, awful elites, sloppy trait lines, with a dodge that costs 150 endurance that you can be knocked out of? An awful f2 mish mash of damage / support that doesnt give you options to lock in Archy or St. Viktor Alliance respectively? And that's the best elite spec? No, sorry but it needs a lot of updates and attention. It has a lot of good potential but it's implementation needs some serious focus from anet. Thief, Engy and Mesmer functionally and thematically are way better from a design and operational standpoint. Very creative and well thought out from concept and trait wise. Keep in mind all three blow both Vind and Cata out of the water in those areas. 

Any other game mode outside of ow, you're better off playing catalyst. Including raids.

Cata has major issues but at least it does much better dps than Vindicator. And you keep your dodges. 

Vindicator was a perfect example of a great idea and really subpar execution. This all coming from someone who wanted greatsword for Rev for years, so bummed to see what we got so far. I want it to be good and I still hope for both specs though. 

Edited by Jah Warrior.9682
Info
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, Jah Warrior.9682 said:

. For open world sure and greatsword looks great (for open world only). But anywhere outside of there, slow attacks, low damage, non existent cc, bugged skill and jump, awful elites, sloppy trait lines, with a dodge that costs 150 endurance that you can be knocked out of?

actually i was deleting people left and right in wvw roaming on vindator....

i thought it was really fun and strong. agree the 150 dodge is too expensive for its effect but the other 2 dodges were good. yeah there are some issues but nothing too out of place for a beta.

Edited by scerevisiae.1972

On 10/27/2021 at 4:06 PM, decease.3215 said:

I want to merge with pet and assume form of the beast... 

So ... Soulbeast ... great, wish granted. 

As far as hammer goes, Untamed has some deficiencies for sure. I'm hoping any number of them are resolved but Hammer isn't really one of them. 

But yeah, Catalyst and Untamed, coincidentally using hammer and not the brightest points in EoD IMO. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So ... Soulbeast ... great, wish granted. 

As far as hammer goes, Untamed has some deficiencies for sure. I'm hoping any number of them are resolved but Hammer isn't really one of them. 

I think you didn’t understand - he meant turning into a beast , not pet merging into him.

I think hammer on untamed has just weak skills, same with catalyst. Overall it is a slow weapon, I don’t know who would take it really - given it is not only slow but also has lower dps than blades

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mik.3401 said:

I think you didn’t understand - he meant turning into a beast , not pet merging into him

What's the difference? In otherwords, what makes you think Soulbeast isn't Anet's version of that? What makes anyone think their own concept is something Anet will implement in the first place?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

13 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

What's the difference? In otherwords, what makes you think Soulbeast isn't Anet's version of that? What makes anyone think their own concept is something Anet will implement in the first place?

This is a reverse of soul beast so you turn into the pet and get shroud-like set of skills, simple. It is not the same thing. Of course Anet can implement whatever they want but that’s not the point

• Like 4

Give devs time to iron out the specs.

Many of the elite specs OP today were once bad too at their release. Remember beta mirage, and deadeye? Or even launch Renegade, which was a joke at first, and soon became a vital component in every group? Even FIREBRAND was a joke to people at launch. Lo and behold...

Do you people honestly think Catalyst and Untamed won't see any adjustments?

Woodenpotatoes said it best: Catalyst is a ticking time bomb of becoming completely overpowered as soon as they iron out the field mechanic. It can provide ludicrous amounts of damage while granting allies tons of boons, including quickness.

Edited by Kain Francois.4328
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kain Francois.4328 said:

Many of the elite specs OP today were once bad too at their release. Remember beta mirage, and deadeye? Or even launch Renegade, which was a joke at first, and soon became a vital component in every group? Even FIREBRAND was a joke to people at launch. Lo and behold...

Woodenpotatoes said it best: Catalyst is a ticking time bomb of becoming completely overpowered as soon as they iron out the field mechanic. It can provide ludicrous amounts of damage while granting allies tons of boons, including quickness.

I like your optimism, and I certainly hope it turns out like that. But I'm not gonna hold my breath anymore until I see it working well in game cause we're certainly not getting any reassurance on the forums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do find it really disappointing - I don't generally get the hammer hate from the community. I love some of the hammer skill sets we have and ultimately in this game they can do pretty much whatever they want anyway. However, they really managed to make these particular hammer sets pretty terrible. Praying for improvement in the next beta, especially as I feel like the Catalyst hammer skills have potential (the rest of catalyst needs a serious rethink imho)

In general, I really want Anet to make it easier to love hammer xD

• Like 2

I was upset  with cata, then the icing on the cake of discouragement was untamed. I mean at the very least allow all weapons to use unleashed! The whole spec is a turn off. Every person I asked said the same thing, why not rifle? Hammer is a meme joke.

And cata completely ruined it for me, im like they cant be serious? Of all things a hammer on ele that already has weaver? Frontline bruiser lol haha. Shortbow longbow any ranged dps spec for ele would have been preferred at least fix core staff ele so we have options. Ele has a bruiser that does it much better than cata...its called weaver.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 3

On 10/26/2021 at 10:21 PM, Pirindolo.9427 said:

It is like someone in Anet wants to demonstrate that hammer is always the wrong choice.

He must be thinking now: "See? I told you!!!"

Don't even get me started.

The "elemental-scrapper" with it's utterly useless new "jade gyro" is an insult to the game, and the players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I was upset  with cata, then the icing on the cake of discouragement was untamed. I mean at the very least allow all weapons to use unleashed! The whole spec is a turn off. Every person I asked said the same thing, why not rifle? Hammer is a meme joke.

And cata completely ruined it for me, im like they cant be serious? Of all things a hammer on ele that already has weaver? Frontline bruiser lol haha. Shortbow longbow any ranged dps spec for ele would have been preferred at least fix core staff ele so we have options. Ele has a bruiser that does it much better than cata...its called weaver.

there are SO many issues with SO many of these "mundane-specs", but yeah, ranger is really problematic.  No synergy at all between weapon skills, pet skills, or traits.  the "unleased" form is utterly boring, lame and really visually fugly.  Why did it take 9 years to provide decent pet controls?  This should have implemented years ago, and something else entirely should have been provided for this boring spec.  

Don't even get me started on the whole "let's take the ranger pet and give to the engi, but we'll make WAY more powerful, just so we can show all those ranger players how much we don't give a sh!t".

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, Kain Francois.4328 said:

I think they will see "adjustments", some time in 2027, after they've had time to adjust all the other classes that they actually like.

I appreciate your optimism as well, but let's be realistic, wp makes his living off gw2 content.  He is never going to be honest about how unbelievably bad some of these specs are.  The catalyst, a kitten down scrapper with all the good stuff stripped out of and nerfed into useless oblivion even before launch, is, in the parlance of real estate: a complete tear down.  It needs to be completely scrapped and a completely different design created.  No one, literally NO ONE wanted another melee weapon for ele.  Even wp admitted that.  Is it really just coincidence that the "catalyst" has a "hammer" and a spiff new "jade gyro"?  No.  It's insulting.

Some of them would be "relatively" easy to fix, but all of them have thematic issues, synergy issues, conceptual issues.  They're almost all just really poorly, and half-assedly designed.  Except the thief, which is RIDICULOUSLY op, Again.  And the Engi, which is again, also ridiculously op.

• Confused 1