Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

Note: Do this at your own risk. I am not a representative of Arena Net , Guild Wars , or any of their associates.
I am a gamer that has possibly found a solution and trying to help  out the community. 

So I may have found a way to fix it. (This worked on my wife's laptop, not sure if it will work for you.)

For those running Windows:

To get out of the locked screen without forcing a restart do the following: (DO NOT USE YOUR MOUSE!!!!)

1.) Hit Cntrl + Shift + Esc (Pulls up the task manager)
2.) Hit Alt + O (The Letter ,  Not a Zero)

3.) Ensure "Always On Top" Is Selected , If It's Not Hit Enter on your keyboard.

4.) Right Click Game and Choose End Task.

What I did to Fix: (Only worked one time, sorry yall. Keeping this up for admins to see)

1.) Moved Game "C:\Program Files\"
2.) Ran the Repair Tool. (https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client)
3.) Went to file location "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2"

4.) Ran Game Application from there. (Did not use any shortcuts, copies, etc...)

Note: Do this at your own risk. I am not a representative of Arena Net , Guild Wars , or any of their associates.
I am a gamer that has possibly found a solution and trying to help  out the community. 

Edited by Dark Ruler.7034
Only worked once

4 hours ago, MarySueLlama.8136 said:

Same failure to load game after logging in to launcher.  I don't leave my desktop, and I don't hear any audio from the game.  Alt tab does not close the game.  Open Task Manager to shut the game down, but then Task Manager freezes.  Have to restart pc.  Would like to see a tweet from Anet acknowledging the issue and possible ETA of a fix.  Thanks.

Although I do hear audio, I have this same issue with alt tab, task manager freezing and having to restart.

4 hours ago, Brasetvik.1609 said:

I might have a fix, in windows 10 turn off "windows 10 game mode"

You can search for: Game mode
and should find it.

Still Anet should really fix this so we can run the game with Game Mode ON. 

Tried that, but it didn't work for me, unfortunately.

Edited by Lyssia.4637
Typo

4 minutes ago, Longpoke.8290 said:

FIX:

renaming the  gw2-64.exe in the main folder helps it launch.

> Rename to anything (I just added a 1 after the 4) 

> Double click on the file to open 

> Game launches fine

I tried that and was a negative for me. Tried Game Mode off, too. Negative. I'm glad you're up and running again. Too late for a refund on the pre-order, lol?

Yep

Launching from the game folder after renaming worked for me.

It would still not work while using shortcut on my desktop

P.s.  it seems you have to rename the .exe  file everytime you want to start the game  though

Edited by Sarte.7158

I followed a tip from someone on the forums. I went to my Windows 10 File Explorer, opened the Program Files page, found the Gw2 exe launch thing, and then renamed the launch by adding a symbol such as % to the name. After that I clicked on the exe launcher and was able to log into Gw2. 

I hope this works, and doesn't ruin anything with your games. Good luck to all.

• Thanks 1

After 09.11.2021 patch I have similar problem (Windows 10 Home).
I log in in launcher, click play and all I see is a black screen with music in the background.
On top of that, I can't do anything. ALT + TAB/windows menager/gw2 aplication exit - nothing works.
I have tried several times and every time I launch the game it leads to a reboot so I can use the computer normally.

Few people in my guild have similar problems.

Edited by siupson.1803
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Isaphiel.6047 said:

This worked for me on the second try.

Meaning: Turn game mode off, start the game (it will freeze again), Ctrl+Shift+Esc, use keyboard to close game from task manager, open the game again. Sucess! (at least for me)

This worked for me! Disabling game mode and second attempt worked

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1