Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

3 minutes ago, Peacekid.1463 said:

how long will anet fix this, this is very annoying i cant play, we cant play and now we are the one trying to solve a problem that we didnt create after the patch. 

We don't have to fix it. Anet will. We are just impatient. Many of us look forward to patch day but over the past almost decade we are aware that patches can cause issues just like updates on Windows can cause issues. It does happen. Most times unforeseen. There are other things we can do in the meantime such as watch YouTube or wash some dishes. Just try to be patient. I know it is hard. Trust me .. I know.

In the meantime, if you know how, you can add the command line -windowed to see if you can play that way. It has worked for a lot of us.

Edited by Katiekaboom.1980

1 minute ago, Peacekid.1463 said:

its not that im impatient, this started hrs ago yet anet doesnt have any reply or watsover. 

Here is the answer I have gotten:

..the Dev Team is aware of the matter and working on a solution as quickly as possible. We do not currently have a time frame for this fix, so please keep an eye on the official Guild Wars 2 forums (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/) for any updates.

We appreciate your information and patience while we work on this issue.

Here is the temp fix:

Launching the game in WINDOWED MODE instead.

1. Create a shortcut to your Guild Wars 2 client (gw2.exe, Gw2-64.exe) by right-clicking the file and selecting "Create Shortcut."
  2. Now right-click the shortcut and choose "Properties."
  3. In the line that reads "Target," add a space at the end of the line and then add the following: -windowed
  4. Your target line should now look something like this: C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -windowed
  5. Click "Apply" and then "OK."
  • Launch your client and log into a character.

Hey all, if someone could poll to see what graphics card we all have that would be great. I have a feeling we all have Nvidia. If so it's going to be one hell of a fix .... By this I mean its related to a computer crashing bug that even League of Legends cant fix after 3 years. Just minimized the number of pcs it affected. Try making sure windows gaming mode is disabled and your nvidia driver is rolled back to the second to last version. Also windowed mode of any video game is the easiest fix

1 minute ago, kapenike.6793 said:

Hey all, if someone could poll to see what graphics card we all have that would be great. I have a feeling we all have Nvidia. If so it's going to be one hell of a fix .... By this I mean its related to a computer crashing bug that even League of Legends cant fix after 3 years. Just minimized the number of pcs it affected. Try making sure windows gaming mode is disabled and your nvidia driver is rolled back to the second to last version. Also windowed mode of any video game is the easiest fix

I wouldn't worry too much - it was working just fine for everyone before the patch; nvidia, gaming mode or otherwise. 😛

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kapenike.6793 said:

Hey all, if someone could poll to see what graphics card we all have that would be great. I have a feeling we all have Nvidia. If so it's going to be one hell of a fix ....  Also windowed mode of any video game is the easiest fix

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

But ShionKreth.1542 is right. My game worked absolutely fine before the Nov 9th update.

3 hours ago, Alieon.9538 said:

Days off by +1 as well. Last I checked today is the 9th.

Now sure if you're trying to be observant or just point out things I have no control of. but if the update changed the game's time zone stamp from the actual game stamp, Im not sure how that would prevent then game logging in just enough,  not to get to a character select screen.  Only way to be sure is for folks successfully longing into t generate a report, if they can, and see if the time stamp is off.  

If you want to gather information thinking it might help, you can start a Support Ticket and submit the information explained in this help page: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/231273708-Collecting-Diagnostic-Information-for-Support-Reporting-Tech-Issues-

BUT PLEASE NOTE: Anet IS aware of the issue and currently working on it!

Freaking out over the "what if's" and the "how long's" is not going to speed things up any. There is a LOT of code to go through. Just simply keep an eye on the official Guild Wars 2 forums (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/) for any updates as they may make a NEW stickied thread about any updates and not necessarily in this particular thread.

3 minutes ago, Spire.6109 said:

I will say this from the error log, it points to 
D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Services\Handle\Handle.h(81)
My D Drive is my DVD drive and my hard Drives are C and E.  So what's it pointing to for the 😧 drive?

That is something you can ask Anet about by submitting Support Ticket and attaching the error log that points to that.  That is the ONLY way you will get an individual reply directly answering your specific questions.

I feel a bit in a sarcastic mood about Anet, expecially after I had to mount Windows 10 on my Mac to be able to continue play GW2 after Mac client was dismissed. It's not funny. At all.
By the way, this issue occurs also on my Mac Mini 2020, which does not have any Ndivia thingy.
And, I have a black screen here, so no way to try switching from full screen to windowed.
Preorder? Please.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Justin Time.7054 said:

I feel a bit in a sarcastic mood about Anet, expecially after I had to mount Windows 10 on my Mac to be able to continue play GW2 after Mac client was dismissed. It's not funny. At all.
By the way, this issue occurs also on my Mac Mini 2020, which does not have any Ndivia thingy.
And, I have a black screen here, so no way to try switching from full screen to windowed.
Preorder? Please.

You don't change to windowed in game .. because, just like for most of us in this thread, we cannot get that far into the game to do so. Are you able to make a new shortcut (in case there are any screw ups you don't want it to effect the original short cut) on your desktop and then go into properties and add to the command line -windowed at the end of it?

Edit: Ah I see your 2nd post after that one. Okay if you don't feel comfortable touching the command lines that is fine. Always smart to be safe rather than sorry.

Alright... something funny's going on. I went to play something else since GW2 won't start, it opens windowed, I change it to fullscreen... and suddenly my monitor is getting no imput and I've gotta reset. On that note, I actually think I played like 15 or so minutes of GW2 earlier today after the patch before going out, around 1:00-1:30 EST. Could there have been some kind of non-optional windows or nvidia or SOMETHING update? The patch may ironically not be the cause.

Edited by ShionKreth.1542

2 minutes ago, ShionKreth.1542 said:

Alright... something funny's going on. I went to play something else since GW2 won't start, it opens windowed, I change it to fullscreen... and suddenly my monitor is getting no imput and I've gotta reset. On that note, I actually think I played like 15 or so minutes earlier today after the patch before going out, around 1:00-1:30 EST. Could there have been some kind of non-optional windows or nvidia or SOMETHING update? The patch may ironically not be the cause.

That doesn't quite make sense to me but all I can say is from my own experience is that I was on when the update happened. I could play before the update. Update happened and I could NOT play after the update.

Only thing that has worked for me as a temp fix is adding -windowed to the game's command line in the game's shortcut properties that I click on.

I noticed many are just posting and not reading about the temp fix.