Echovald wilds critiques

How do you feel about Echovald Wilds?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade echovald wilds so far?

• S
    • A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Poormany.4507 said:

From before fishing was even announced: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search/?&q=fishing&search_and_or=or&start_after=1326499200&start_before=1578960000&sortby=relevancy

There was definitely player demand for fishing before fishing or EoD were even announced.

Not everyone cares about e-specs as the sole factor of an expac's success (myself included).

I have been asking for fishing since day 1!  I am very glad to see it coming.  So far it is the best looking part of the expansion for me. 😎

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

In my opinion, that'd have been better than the handling of Cantha by developers who never played factions and thus don't understand anything of it and why it was liked so much. They didn't even bother picking up the thematics of Winds of Change as part of their expansion and basically said "that's in the past, we don't want to have anything to do with that."

ArentNet of today is one of the most PC companies out there, do you really expect them to deal with any themes that are more complex than "kill big dragons",  and more importantly would you trust them with it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

16 minutes ago, Elric.4713 said:

ArentNet of today is one of the most PC companies out there, do you really expect them to deal with any themes that are more complex than "kill big dragons",  and more importantly would you trust them with it?

I hoped they would at least try keep true to what people wanted to see out of Cantha.

The least they should have done was to make sure all the developers at least know a bit about Cantha, even if they didn't play factions. But as far as this one map goes, they didn't.

And in the prior map preview they straight out said that the old ways of Ritualists (which many players loved and wanted to see returned) are considered wrong and bad.

So far, most of what I've seen seems to actively go against what many people would've wanted from Cantha. Old Ritualists? bad. Dealing with the Ministry of Purity? They already are gone. A proper Assassin specialization with no access to Stealth? not available. Helping the Tengu dealing with the loss of their homelands? They were never actually gone.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

Its been 250 years in game between Guild Wars 1 and 2. It's not some horrible idea to keep the march of time, change and factions onward. Not everything stays the same and I do think they will have some fan service for those who played GW1 and enough for us to chew on who only played GW2. Nostalgia is great but why not have something new? If everything stayed the same then it would just be a repeat of Factions wouldn't it with more water dragon lore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Its been 250 years in game between Guild Wars 1 and 2. It's not some horrible idea to keep the march of time, change and factions onward. Not everything stays the same and I do think they will have some fan service for those who played GW1 and enough for us to chew on who only played GW2. Nostalgia is great but why not have something new? If everything stayed the same then it would just be a repeat of Factions wouldn't it with more water dragon lore.

Maybe when Anet makes a GW3 and they purposefully kill everything you liked about GW2 you'll understand.

Time can pass without destroying literally everything. Anet changed the terrain, wiped out and homogenized cultures, removed everything unique about the zone, antagonizes GW1 classes like ritualist, and as a result it's a completely different vibe. Some ruins don't make up for that.

Why are we going to Cantha, if they are not interested in recapturing anything that made Cantha what it was? Just take us somewhere new instead of trying to replace the old.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10

1 hour ago, witcher.3197 said:

Maybe when Anet makes a GW3 and they purposefully kill everything you liked about GW2 you'll understand.

Time can pass without destroying literally everything. Anet changed the terrain, wiped out and homogenized cultures, removed everything unique about the zone, antagonizes GW1 classes like ritualist, and as a result it's a completely different vibe. Some ruins don't make up for that.

Why are we going to Cantha, if they are not interested in recapturing anything that made Cantha what it was? Just take us somewhere new instead of trying to replace the old.

I invite you to think critically and openly about the little we have seen contrasted with your opinions. What if the two factions are still around but its suppose to be a reveal in game? If ANET did make a GW3 and "killed everything I loved" I would have to be pretty brash to think I know what's better for the game than they do. #trust

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

This would be fine if they replaced it with anything interesting and related to cantha. Instead they removed a stone forest with gothic atmosphere to replace it with stock assets from HOT, making a generic forest with some ruins thrown in. Boring.

• Like 6
  • Confused 5

6 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

[...] I gave it a B.  It looks too dark to give an A...

I hope the bluish fog everywhere (we saw similar fog on Shing Jea) can be deactivated via Post-Processing Effect setting. I don't know why they chose such odd colors for Cantha (the toxic green grass could be explained by the melting of the Jade Sea, which might have affected the flora - perhaps the blue-tinted fog is related to that event as well?).

6 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

[...] I do not know what S is supposed to mean (I would guess better than A?).  Odd grading system... 😎

😄

While the artists did a good job, it feels less unique to its GW1 counterpart and because we've had a HoT, feels like a bit like retreading old grounds in a way. 

Honestly, feel very middling with it right now. The fact they showed it to us pretty empty and missing a lot, it's hard to say for sure. That said, did love the Cathedrals and House Zu Heltzer.

• 4 months later...

My main issue is a lack of online content. Prior to this, if you had a problem you could look it up. 

I still am hunting a map of the POIs for  Echowald Wilds. Have 44/45 and don't see a 45th point on the in game map.

Anyone know of a link to a map for POI?

I voted C but I probably should have given it a B. It is the best zone of this expansion in terms of replayability and event density with a lot of neat hidden puzzles and mini-games. I'm just not a huge fan of the jade brotherhood and it feels more claustrophobic than I was expecting it to.  I think they did their best and it's hard to do the nostalgia justice but none of these maps really give me the HoT experience I was hoping for. 

It feels like they tried to strike a balance between HoT and PoF in terms of map design and meta events but somehow they all feel pretty unlively to me. 

• Like 1