Siege Turtle Feedback Thread [Merged]

Siege Tortoise right?

Anyway, I had loads of fun playing it.  Does the slam/crash whatever do more damage the further it falls?  It worked that way in my head so I had a lot fun in both seats. 

The only thing on my wishlist is a shield.  I think turtle - protection - forcefield.  So yeah I want to generate a forcefield with my turtle mount.  It could be a toggle that drains ammo but I want to be able to protect my team if I'm solo.

• Like 1

It feels artificial that the skills are split between driver and gunner because the two skills of the gunner could be added to the skill of the driver and from the amount of skills/functions of the mount there is really no need to have a gunner.

I used the mount with a friend and we had fun for some time. However the driver (in solo or duo) is less fun.

As a gunner it is fun to use the cannons and that they, if loaded with ammo, can be used without delay to burst targets down.

It is fun that the gunner can choose its own looking/shooting direction independently from the direction of the mount. But it is often chaotic and not co-op. Coordination between driver and gunner should be better. Maybe the driver should always see the direction in which the gunner is looking, or should see the cannon AOE tells before the attack.

The mount was fun at first, but if there are no special encounters in EoD, that really require exactely this mount, I guess it will not be used very often. It does nothing best (exception: carrying another player), comparing to the other mounts.

The turtle is blocked too often by small obstacles in terrain on land and under water. It should not do that. It is a big and heavy turtle and should steamroll everything in its way.

The toxic green dragon jade is ... toxic.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1

It seems to me that most people posting here have no clue about the 'turtle' potential.

I decided late night to try it out in LA, after having fun racing around at high speed on it solo.

Then I remembered it is a co-op mount so I said 'hop on' in public chat. I saw a low level non-beta toon and thought: 'this is exactly the thing this beast is made for, doing some world completion with a total stranger new/returning player'.

Party accepted, and off we went through the north gate.

3 hours later, when I should almost get up again to go to work, we finally succumbed to the late hour heavy eyes and said our goodbyes in Harathi lands.

Thank you and great job for making this mount the way it is, in the spirit of the game, and a good incentive for ppl to have some fun with strangers instead of playing '99% solo'.

Please do not listen (too much) to players who complain about it being a co-op mount, or it being too slow, or it being too weak. Seems to me they rather have no clue. Sometimes it almost felt too OP as you lay waste to mobs while flying around the map at high speed. It is not supposed to do more damage than 2 players off-mount, as it has a lot of other advantages to offer over that. And it is just so much fun to move around once you understand how it works.

I do wonder however:

- is it supposed to be like this, that you should very frequently jump to move around fast or did I find a bug that made the mount faster than it is supposed to be? Especially in the water this has a bit of the strange result that you will never actually want to walk on the floor but rather continuously 'jump' as soon as you can, on cooldown and then you are basically swimming or diving around, still rather slow, but acceptable.

Also, flying through the air like a jet for a bit as a turtle does feel a bit weird, but is fun. And very useful to cross some wider water as it can cover quite a distance, faster and further than a skyscale (within the same time).

Biggest complaint:

It is NOT a turtle. It is a TORTOISE.; (those ninja tortoises have done so much damage)

Maybe also, for those who are thinking 'I can get around fast using waypoints'.

Please remove waypoints from the game :).

PS

- also nice that the driver affects the gunners potential by properly keeping high speed up resulting in higher reloads

- also nice that the gunner affects the moving potential by timely using the boost, that is the only way you can feel like a jet as a turtle flying fast.

Edited by Upperground.6849
extra PS note
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, Upperground.6849 said:

It is NOT a turtle. It is a TORTOISE.; (those ninja tortoises have done so much damage)

Differences exist in usage of the common terms turtle, tortoise, and terrapin, depending on the variety of English being used; usage is inconsistent and contradictory. These terms are common names and do not reflect precise biological or taxonomic distinctions. (from wikipedia)

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Thanks 2

First the things I liked: the sound the cannon makes amuses me and when you land on mobs and they light on fire that is great. Not so great is if I am not duoing with my hubby I won't be able to use the cannons as a solo player. That alone makes the turtle not usable for anyone that mainly solos. Still not sure why the turtle can't swim and instead sinks to the bottom but that seems like a design choice that can't be changed. Overall fun to just mess around and kill various mobs with a friend but not something I would use every day. 

I do like this mount a ton, but it's strange that it's actually slower than a player's base swim speed when underwater, and the boost barely does anything (like, I had to stare directly at the speedometer to realize it did anything at all. Please make the boost skill actually do something underwater, right now it's a waste).  A dismounted player shouldn't be able to straight up outpace a mounted player.  This combined with the slam effect not working on enemies unless they're right on the sea floor means there's no reason to use this mount underwater right now.
I get that underwater combat isn't the crux of GW2 gameplay, but given how much effort went into this it feels like a waste.

Otherwise I had a great deal of fun rampaging around with this guy.

• Like 1

I don't mind people having different mounts and objects for fun but I don't want to end like FF with big objects blocking the screen.

this turtle mount is very big and blocks my screen too mush when others use it, other big mounts fly and don't do that much.

If would be good to have an option do make these things invisible for yourself. 

I also have trouble to select enemies, specially small world bosses, when there are over 40 players in the same spot.

I have not tried the turtle.  But I have seen a bunch of You tube videos on it.  I also think it looks very boring as the driver.  It was suggested by one you tube gamer that does videos.....he thinks an AI gunner (one you can have or not) would be a huge plus. I have to agree.  I am also a solo player (like this gamer I speak of).  If all I can do it slam the ground on this mount I won't be using it. Sad it's the only new mount in the expansion.

First of all, I will say the understand the importance of GW2 having this kind of multiplayer mount. There are people who will never touch this, I am one of them, but likewise this is a unique thing and it deserves to exists. That the only new mount this expansion has such niche appeal is extremely lame and kind of laughable. It's like expecting fishing to be a tentpole of your expansion.

Now for my feedback on what I could actually test which is the driver portion only... it's fine. It's too big and it gets caught on level geometry a lot. It handles like a truck which is unique but not particulary fun to me. Though if people are racing these things there must be some appeal to people. The flight is super useful for covering for the weaknesses of the mount getting caught on things but I would use just about any other mount most of the time.

Some more niche criticisms, I think it might be good to have one slam that works as it currently is and one slam that actually dismounts you so the character can start combat. The skin is very aesthetic but a little weird outside of the Canthan expansion it would be nice to have an easily earnable alt-skin that uses core-game aesthetics. Maybe hide it in a little quest even though I'm sure you'd just sell it.

In the end I don't see myself using the Seige Turtle very much but it is fundamently fine on a game design level.

I think it could benefit from having a second, weaker gun to keep the gunner busy during the long recharge time for the ammo. The turning circle is so large that it's hard to keep engaged with a group of enemies and make sure the gunner can fire consistently, so it can be boring and frustrating for both parties

Edited by Ilesonce.7435
bad grammar

I joined the party of a random person, just to sit in the backseat while he drove me all around Lion's Arch as I shot the weapons at everything in sight. I can see this becoming the next afk meta!

In all seriousness though, I love this design. GW2 is one of the most cooperative MMO's available, and I like that this mount follows that design philosophy. I wish more mounts had a coop option. Why can't someone hop onto the back of my skyscale or raptor?

• Like 1

The turtle is a lot of fun and has nice animation. Except the mounting animation which feels jarring and messy the way it comes together. The walking animation is so cool. I would like to see a dance animation even if it is just swaying. The siege turtle needs a seat swap button. This would enable solo players to operate the guns. It would have a cool down to prevent abuse. This would leave the turtle prone but it would be a small trade off compared to not being able to use the guns at all with out being in a squad.

• Like 1

I haven't read through the entire thread, so apologies if this was mentioned, but whatever discussion about the potential meta usages of the Turtle, I have one very, very specific criticism: the splashing animation when it walks along the bottom of the water. You wouldn't see water splashing up through other water like that -- either dust or bubbles maybe, but also maybe it would be fine with nothing at all. The splashing, though, is just kind of jarring to me. 

Would like a gun for the rider as well, not just the second seat. Make it more useful for people who play alone! 
I have friends, but I realize how much it isn't worth (Depending on how difficult it will be to obtain, hopefully not skyscale level but griffon level is fine) to get solo.

Okay, now that I have witnessed Siege Turtles during several HoT, PoF and LW meta events:

PLEASE MAKE SIEGE TURTLES UNACCESSIBLE OUTSIDE OF CANTHA!

You can't see the enemies or anything for that matter, because they cover your sight of things. Very unpleasant. Or at least add an option to make them completely invisible to everyone else.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Lunah.4517 said:

Still not sure why the turtle can't swim and instead sinks to the bottom but that seems like a design choice that can't be changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are areas will strong underwater currents, that the turtle is immune to due to its sinking capability. 

1 hour ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

edit: lol, Ashantara and I posted the same thing at the same time.

Two great minds, one thought! 😄

1 hour ago, Rin.1046 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are areas will strong underwater currents, that the turtle is immune to due to its sinking capability. 

I am no longer holding my breath for "great underwater content", but I could be proven wrong. 😉 We will know in less than three months time.

• Like 2