Siege Turtle Feedback Thread [Merged]

Some first impressions.

Turtle goes a lot faster than I anticipated it would.  The walk speed is the opposite and is way slower than anticipated.

The drift is easy to control.  Tanks should not be making shar turns at cruising speed.  I treated it like a tank and toggled walk if I needed to sharply change direction and toggled walk speed off when my camera is about right for the new direction.  The result is much much better control.

I experimented by double tapping the walk speed toggle key right before making any sharp turn.  The result is what I expected and is great.

Sounds:

The attack sound (stomp I guess) is definitely satisfying and what I expected.

The run/walk sounds are not satisfying.  They sound far too light for how heavy this thing is supposed to be.  I would like if the sounds for the footsteps were altered to make the siege turtle sound like a massive, powerful creature.

Landing after using jumpjets sounds WAY too light for what is supposed to be a GW2 tank.  It should be like the mount attack sound.  I want to hear how heavy and uparmored the siege turtle is.

Sounds are a huge deal for me due to being blind.  It's naturally what I'll notice the most.

Side Note:  Using mount skill 7 while engaging jump jets is really fun.  It maneuvers really well as a hover tank for some reason.

Also, I keep saying jump jets because I'm an old school mechwarrior player, and the siege turtle brings up the feeling of piloting a mech again, though slightly off compared to a mech.  Mechs don't drift, they just have a massive turn radius.  They also sound massive.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to testing it more this weekend and actually playing it.  And having some poor gunner get stuck with the blind driver 😁😎  

The slam in water is pretty useless since you can only hit creature in the sea floor, even tho you fall slamming a swimming creature nothing happens, it should be able to hit all creature while it is falling down, no discusion about that.

The movement is very nice, in water tho, it could be just a bit faster.

• Like 2

The Jade construct looks absolutely amazing as it comes crashing down to your side as you mount the siege turtle. It looks exactly like a rocket taking off and landing. (Okay I’ve watched too many launches to consider it exact but the resemblance is remarkable). Check it out it is VERY cool.

Sadly it does not seem to be possible to use the Jade construct while mounted but it returns to your side (less spectacularly) once you dismount. 

Edited by WaveIn.4091

It looks cool and is actually a neat idea. I like it. 
However I will probably not aquire the mount in EoD because it requires two and I don't have active friends anymore, except for one but she comes online very rarely in a year unfortunately. I'll probably never have luck finding any new ones as it seems based on the almost 0% interaction on both my forum and reddit posts looking for someone but that's something different.  I'm 99% solo and it's really sad that you can't have access to the turret then. You're basically fcked as solo player. Maybe a NPC companion or a way to switch modes on the mount could help there. 
Overall the mount feels very disappointing so far because all it can do it stomp and hover. 
At least give it 2 more melee abilities if the turret isn't usable. 

I really liked the turtle! 

I wish we could have a mode for the driver to switch to use cannons as well (maybe getting put in a stationary stance to fire and then switch again to be able to move again?) 

And also when 2 people are mounted, the ability to swith the driver with the cannon controller and vice versa without the need to dismount would be cool 🙂

Thank you for your hard work! 

Edited by Aedil.1296
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, sanwah.8914 said:

My husband and I both started to get headaches after about 20 mins of play....don't know if the animation is just too bouncy or something.  It is not something I normally suffer from.

Is that cause of camera shake option? 

I used to get that with camera shake active. Not sure if the turtle shakes the screen thought as I don't have it active but if its the camera shake just turn it off 🙂

58 minutes ago, Cynder.2509 said:

It looks cool and is actually a neat idea. I like it. 
However I will probably not aquire the mount in EoD because it requires two and I don't have active friends anymore, except for one but she comes online very rarely in a year unfortunately. I'll probably never have luck finding any new ones as it seems based on the almost 0% interaction on both my forum and reddit posts looking for someone but that's something different.  I'm 99% solo and it's really sad that you can't have access to the turret then. You're basically fcked as solo player. Maybe a NPC companion or a way to switch modes on the mount could help there. 
Overall the mount feels very disappointing so far because all it can do it stomp and hover. 
At least give it 2 more melee abilities if the turret isn't usable. 

It’s really fun to play with 2 people.  If you see someone on a turtle just send a party request and hop on.  That’s what I’ve been doing

After a bit more time with the turtle I'm still struggling to find a real use for it, other than mucking about with friends sometimes.

Do I want to get somewhere quickly and easily? I use my Raptor/Rollerbeetle/Skyscale.

Do I want to kill things? I get off my mount and kill them.

Do I want to travel underwater? I use my Skimmer.

There's exactly one use for it that I've found:

Do I want to attack enemies underwater? Yes and I'm playing as a Mechanist and my mech doesn't work underwater so I'm going to use the turtle. (But not my own turtle because driving the turtle is boring and doesn't let me attack as the driver, so I hope someone else has theirs out...)

All in all, very situational.

Edited by Swizzle.7982
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swizzle.7982 said:

After a bit more time with the turtle I'm still struggling to find a real use for it, other than mucking about with friends sometimes.

Do I want to get somewhere quickly and easily? I use my Raptor/Rollerbeetle/Skyscale.

Do I want to kill things? I get off my mount and kill them.

Do I want to travel underwater? I use my Skimmer.

There's exactly one use for it that I've found:

Do I want to attack enemies underwater? Yes and I'm playing as a Mechanist and my mech doesn't work underwater so I'm going to use the turtle. (But not my own turtle because driving the turtle is boring and doesn't let me attack as the driver, so I hope someone else has theirs out...)

All in all, very situational.

Thing is I am fine with no real use for it. I plan to use it as my main mount because it is just fun to use. I don't care if there are better mounts for what I want to do with it since just being on the Turtle fills me with happiness. Not everything all the time needs to have purpose or beat something else. Sometimes having something fun in design is good enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like it, I just feel it needs two changes.

I feel like the turtle gets too hard to control too quickly. They said that it would get harder to steer the faster it goes, which is fine, but it feels like moving right away from being stationary is already difficult to steer.

Additionally even though it’s intended to be a multiplayer mount, as the first combat mount, it’s a bit boring for the owner. The crash down isn’t stimulating enough and the owner could really benefit from the ability to switch to the gunner seat (if empty) to turn it into a stationary artillery unit. Something else to do while driving would also be nice, maybe something like a mine laying ability or being able to burn enemies with the jump jets.

Edited by BlueTurtle.9263
Added more suggestions

I love the look of the turtle and how it controls (even though I'm awful at steering it around corners). The cannons are so much fun to use, too.

However, please consider adding a mechanic that allows the driver to move into the passenger seat. I understand you want to promote co-op play, but that just isn't viable all the time and now it feels like I am basically locked out of the fun aspect of the turtle whenever I am alone. Being restricted to the driver-only mechanics will not be enough to make me choose the turtle. I was looking forward to running around Cantha maps in the turtle but now it looks more likely I will just use the raptor/springer because it's unrealistic for a friend to be online and in my party all the time.

Proposal:

Allow the driver to stop the turtle and move into the passenger seat. To balance this, disable ammo recharging over time and make it so ammo only recharges by movement. This would lead to the following scenario: run around in turtle - see enemy and stop turtle - swap into passenger seat - use up ammo  - swap into driver seat to run around and reload ammo - repeat. This means a turtle would never just be parked in one spot infinitely firing the cannons. You could introduce various cooldown to ensure players don't get too good at min-maxing  their swapping that it looks instant (no firing cannons for x seconds after leaving driver seat, cannons don't reload for x seconds after leaving passenger seat, etc.)

Quick feedback:

• Other players' siege turtles keep constantly flickering in and out of sight, which is very unpleasant on the eye (and the brain😉).
  • While I agree on the more sluggish movement due to the nature of this giant, I think it could use a bit of tweaking. It's sometimes too hard to steer.
  • I don't like the modern tech controls on the mount. If all of Cantha is going to have futuristic stuff like that, it will definitely be a thumbs-down from me. If the future of GW2 is going to look like that, I will seek another MMO, one with a more classic fantasy design. (If I wanted to play a cyberpunk game, I wouldn't have picked GW2 in the first place.)

Questions:

• Is this all the skills the mount will have to offer?
  • The toxic green dragon jade is tolerable at the moment, but I can imagine that will change once we have toxic green all around us? Will you reconsider the color of dragon jade per chance?

Edited by Ashantara.8731

Just 3 points:

• The turtle could use a way to control better who can ride your turtle. For example, a new skill:
    • It would start as something like "Closed Seat" by default, letting only party members ride.
    • Use the skill, it flips over to "Open Seat", letting anyone ride.
    • And when someone is riding your turtle, this skill would turn into "Eject", letting you boot them off your turtle
  • The turtle could also use a way to swap seats both to the empty seat and with your passenger. For example another new skill:
    • When riding with a passenger, the skill could be called something like "Request Swap". If any of the two players use it, the turtle would get a "SWAP REQUEST" effect, and the skill would flip over to "Accept Swap". If the other player uses "Accept Swap" both players swap sets.
    • When riding solo, the skill would be just "Swap", it would let you swap seats to the cannon controls, but while controlling the cannon the turtle would not be able to move.
  • Other fast mounts could use having the speed matter.
    • Griffon, skimmer and rollerbeetle are also mounts with a variable speed. It would be cool if they also got the UI element that shows you are going at full speed.  Griffon in particular since their engage skill does more damage the faster you are.
  • Like 1

I liked it a lot. I realize that it's not an all the time mount. When I heard it was harder to control at higher speeds I imagined it having a higher turn radius at high speeds but it seems to slide around like a roller beetle drift. The syncing could use some work, as passenger occasionally it would just zip me to catch up with the actual position of the turtle. This gets worse if you us a WP. You can WP with your ally if it's on the same map (I don't know the restrictions) but when I did that the desync got worse. My GF was firing the cannons but I didn't see anything, I was using the stomp but she didn't see anything, and I guess the rubber band zipping thing got worse, that was until we remounted. I am curious how the masteries will change how it works. The jump can only really gain height at the very start, this means if you tap space to jump then wait a second and then hold space the turtle hovers a foot off the ground for the entire endurance bar. Lastly the way endurance works with the turtle makes the bond of vigor not really do much.

• Like 1

- Underwater performance is awesome
- Land performance is funny. I like the momentum mechanic and the hovering.

What I would like to see:

1.) The stomp attack is coded in the same way as the Springer engage-skill Cannonball. This means if you use it when you are too high, the stomp is executed in mid air. This ruins the immersion and just looks and feels weird. Instead, I would like to see the attack being tied to the falling-damage mechanic. Similar to the Griffon Swoop patch, the attack would become significantly stronger, the higher you start (= the longer you fall/stomp). For the fun-factor, I would not even cap this damage boost and just allow linear progression. You can make a trade-off, like an auto-dismount + self-stun for a few seconds, when a certain height-threshold was crossed. 

2.) A spin-attack, where the turtle hides in its shell . Aiming the cannons horizontal, charging and rotating with insane speed. Could have the same momentum-mechanic as with the movement. Rotation starts slow, becomes faster over time, but less control-able.

3.) If 1.) gets implemented, an option to mount it mid-air XD.

4.) A swap-seat option, that allows the pilot to become cannoneer. As a trade-off, the turtle would become immobile. That way the fire-power could be utilized for solo-players as well. For ammo recharge, we would need to swap again and move. If you feel this would be too overpowered, add a seat-swap cooldown of 20-40 seconds.

5.) Some kind of CC if I crash the turtle on full speed into an enemy. (running)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sanwah.8914 said:

My husband and I both started to get headaches after about 20 mins of play....don't know if the animation is just too bouncy or something.  It is not something I normally suffer from.

I’m sorry this was an issue for you. My two cents:

I have frequent migraines and frequent (non epileptic) seizures that are triggered by strobing lights. They are not triggered by intense colors or glowing lights. 

this beta went wonderfully for me. I didn’t have any headaches or any seizures. I thought the graphics were great!

Edited by WaveIn.4091
More info on what does and does not trigger seizures

Played with a friend, and I had a Great time. It's pretty neat. Solo experience is... subpar due to the turtle being slower than other mounts, doesn't jump very high at all (even with speed) and it's attack recovery from slam is rather slow, and the stun is not guaranteed depending on whether or not you went at it.

It's also rather confusing : Does it stun on max speed, max height, or both ? Because I sometime slammed and got immediately hit on mobs with no breakbars.

Also : Charr tank skin pretty please. Let the legion have their amphibious weapons of conquest ! The cannons can have ballistic skins as opposed to energetic... Imagine how much more realistic the charr areas would be !