Does anyone else just hate fighting Mirage??

Shrapnel.7249

Between the constant condi spam, the invul, and the interruption of any of my important skills from stealth, I am disgusted by the mere sight of them! 
Okay for real, I’m just having some fun, but I do truly hate fighting a well played mirage for all of the above reasons. I can dodge the big spikes, focus the little twerp, but they will blink out before I can secure the kill. Leaving me to hang out and let them reset their skills and kill me. Specifically if I’m holding node of course, otherwise they will run away and just stalk. Hate it. Hate it. Any suggestions on how to better deal with them? 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Mirage has gotten some significant nerfs, and with the condi changes you are no longer punished by torment for aggressively kiting them. The most common chaos build is slow and they will need to spend cds to catch anyone.

A lot of their bursts consist of lots of confusion, which only does significant damage to you if you press buttons while you're suffering from a lot of it.

Run away, use line of sight to frustrate scepter and staff, and wear them down over time.  If they blink away/disengage, don't chase them or spend cds trying to finish them off. They'll be trapped between points if they give the node and don't have cooldowns.

Power mirage has the same weaknesses as power mes.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd rather fight 3 mesmers together...than a single necro. Mesmer has clear openings any class can get in a put huge pressure...on the other hand, we have broken mechanics like shroud soaking dmg, where I see a player actively dodging to avoid going down with mesmer.....I then see a bot like thing walking in a straight line like a boss

• Confused 7

• 2 weeks later...

VS Domination/Illusions Mirage: LoS, Stability, Aegis, literally just running through them as you cast anything worth interrupting. Signet of Illusions has a pretty long cast time making it easy to interrupt and this build relies on Desert Distortion + SoI for it's sustain. Kite for 20 seconds as they burn through cooldowns, interrupt the signet and they'll either blink and OoC or die.

VS Chaos/Inspiration Mirage: This is a pure troll build with mediocre sustained damage and non-existent burst damage. Just run around them in circles until you decap them, don't take any unnecessary risks because you're not going to kill this pile of yak excrement.

VS Chaos/Duelling Mirage: Another duellist build that unlike the Inspiration variant is actually capable of killing something other than brain cells. The burst is mostly instant cast but melee range and the bulk of the damage comes from confusion stacks, wait for those stacks to wear off and you keep moving around to nullify any torment damage.

VS Duelling/Illusion Mirage (Power): Weakness applied after their dodge completely screws this build over, though if you survive their initial burst there's not much they'll be able to throw at you for a good 20 seconds.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:44 AM, Shrapnel.7249 said:

Between the constant condi spam, the invul, and the interruption of any of my important skills from stealth, I am disgusted by the mere sight of them! 

oh btw, you forgot to mention Desert-I get to dodge 4 more times-Distortion and Signet of-And make it double-Illusions x)

Mirage is very "mechanically" broken. It adds a lot of questionable things like dodging while CCd ( A mechanic that has been repeatedly identified by the majority of the PvP community as being bad for the game )  to a class that already has a ton of cheese, and is thus very uninteractive when played even semi competently. If you were here 4 years ago you would remember that these abilities put Mirage in a position where it remained SS-God tier in the meta even after repeated nerfs.

So Anet had a choice, either rework Mesmers design entirely, or nerf their numbers to the ground until the class is hilariously useless unless played absolutely perfectly. Anet chose to do the latter, which is why the class is in the sorry state that it is. However, the busted mechanics are still there, which is why it's still not fun to fight against even though you basically win the fight against them 100% of the time. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Master Ketsu.4569 said:

Mirage is very "mechanically" broken. It adds a lot of questionable things like dodging while CCd ( A mechanic that has been repeatedly identified by the majority of the PvP community as being bad for the game )  to a class that already has a ton of cheese, and is thus very uninteractive when played even semi competently. If you were here 4 years ago you would remember that these abilities put Mirage in a position where it remained SS-God tier in the meta even after repeated nerfs.

So Anet had a choice, either rework Mesmers design entirely, or nerf their numbers to the ground until the class is hilariously useless unless played absolutely perfectly. Anet chose to do the latter, which is why the class is in the sorry state that it is. However, the busted mechanics are still there, which is why it's still not fun to fight against even though you basically win the fight against them 100% of the time. 

Great summery. This is how I perceive mesmer and it's timeline.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Master Ketsu.4569 said:

The sad thing is after 4 years of constant nerfs mirage is still pretty strong

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

You havn't lived until you've dueled a condi staff mirage with trailblazer or cele in wvw. When you do manage to get a hit in, between the endless invluns, blinks, stealth, blocks and that one evade, you do 5 damage. Its even more stupid than cele weaver, cause that at least you can hit most of the time...

The only redeeming quality is that like most condi running players, they are much more inept when compared to power running players. I.e. as long as you cleanse at least you won't be dying soon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

You havn't lived until you've dueled a condi staff mirage with trailblazer or cele in wvw. When you do manage to get a hit in, between the endless invluns, blinks, stealth, blocks and that one evade, you do 5 damage. Its even more stupid than cele weaver, cause that at least you can hit most of the time...

The only redeeming quality is that like most condi running players, they are much more inept when compared to power running players. I.e. as long as you cleanse at least you won't be dying soon.

Bonus points if you cleanse, kite, and LoS, so they start sending you hate mail for not dying to them.

I'd rather that + getting wiped off the map by a good power mirage/mesmer compared to what we had previously though. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

3 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I was wondering if it was a necro'ed thread and in which year it was posted... Can't believe that it's a new post!

I don't really know but i know mirage got nerfed already multiple times in evades with exaughstion and all that stuff. People have a tendency to exaggerate on pvp forums and overblow things since there is also bias involved and mirage is no difference since there is hate for it and bias.

Edited by Axl.8924
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:38 AM, Master Ketsu.4569 said:

If you were here 4 years ago you would remember that these abilities put Mirage in a position where it remained SS-God tier in the meta even after repeated nerfs.

I only remember that in EU the period where mesmers were much more represented compared to other class in leaderboard and At was during the chrono 1.0 and 2.0 meta.

This time apart we always had plenty of tears on forum while EU top 100 and At were full of other overepresented class.

I can understand that it can be not fun to fight and so on, but looking at the history efficiency there is an abyss between this crying fourm and in-game, at least en EU.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 6:21 AM, viquing.8254 said:

I only remember that in EU the period where mesmers were much more represented compared to other class in leaderboard and At was during the chrono 1.0 and 2.0 meta.

This time apart we always had plenty of tears on forum while EU top 100 and At were full of other overepresented class.

I can understand that it can be not fun to fight and so on, but looking at the history efficiency there is an abyss between this crying fourm and in-game, at least en EU.

To be fair, this forum post was mostly a joke, and a proper question of suggestions. If this community (and let’s be honest, the forums in general but that’s to be expected) were less toxic maybe there’d be a bigger pvp community. But alas, repeat offenders of toxicity and antisocial behavior, with a few genuine answers and helpful suggestions sprinkled in. But hey, happy holidays! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shrapnel.7249 said:

To be fair, this forum post was mostly a joke, and a proper question of suggestions. If this community (and let’s be honest, the forums in general but that’s to be expected) were less toxic maybe there’d be a bigger pvp community. But alas, repeat offenders of toxicity and antisocial behavior, with a few genuine answers and helpful suggestions sprinkled in. But hey, happy holidays! 

This quote has nothing to do with your OP, I'm just kinda bored of plebs trying to rewrite history for them to give another whine reason.

What class did you play and did you want link to streamers who play your class to see how they manage it ?

Did you know that on metabattle PvP build, at the bottom, you have link to stream/video of people playing thoses builds ?

If you really want helpful suggestions, looking at videos showing how other players deal with it (or not because as wrote above, warrior for example isn't well suited for this) is IMO the best way to progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, viquing.8254 said:

This quote has nothing to do with your OP, I'm just kinda bored of plebs trying to rewrite history for them to give another whine reason.

What class did you play and did you want link to streamers who play your class to see how they manage it ?

Did you know that on metabattle PvP build, at the bottom, you have link to stream/video of people playing thoses builds ?

If you really want helpful suggestions, looking at videos showing how other players deal with it (or not because as wrote above, warrior for example isn't well suited for this) is IMO the best way to progress.

this is untrue.
if they complain loud enough mesmer gets nerfed and problem somewhat sold, less mesmers = less problem.
if they dont quit continue complaining, rinse and repeat untill it works.
It did wonders so far.

• Thanks 1