I have never seen a smoother expansion launch

If anything this should be/set the standard. The real problem is when other games launch or update badly people will still come up with excuses used for games for 20 years now. When GW2 has never had this glaring issue that should be the norm in modern times. 
People should not have to excuse bad launches anymore and always reference GW2! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

not to be that guy but GW2 currently has less than 4k viewers on twitch on release night

saying this should set the industry standard while games like Elden Ring and New World were attracting

100000 in a single STREAM on release night is just disingenuous

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

GREATEST MMO EXPANSION LAUNCH EVER !!  Those big game companies need to learn how Anet handle launching a game. Anet came prepared for their players while other games like wowcraft blizzard they probably busy counting their money and pretend nothing is wrong and blaming the players faults for the ques... I am so grateful and thank you !!!

THIS YEAR IS GUILD WARS 2 YEAR OUR YEAR BEST MMO OF ALL TIME !!

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Pezz.4758 said:

not to be that guy but GW2 currently has less than 4k viewers on twitch on release night

saying this should set the industry standard while games like Elden Ring and New World were attracting

Sadly this game has always failed to attract lots of players. It will always be a niche game and  it isn't casual friendly especially after latest changes. This expansion release will fly under the radar like previous one. It will get little attention and nothing major like how people rushed to play FFXIV and the latest Lost Ark.

Edited by Mickey.4207
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Pezz.4758 said:

New world is a terrible game made by a terrible company that failed and Eldin Ring is a bad port to PC with terrible performance issues and an EXTREMELY bad launch that cost them millions of dollars. Try harder? 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Dialogue cutting off, multiple map crashes, progression rollbacks and bugged hero points. Yes, greatest MMO xpack launch in history 🤣

those are small things compared to wowcraft and i lost ark. wowcraft 7 hour que. i lost ark character deleted so 9 hour maintanence. gw2 ssmall bugs but can still play game. lol u can see difference gw2 i best ever

• Like 1

Yeh, I'm extremely pleased and impressed that there are little to no fix/balance to all specializations from beta.  It's usually very difficult to make every specializations so perfect that no need for changes right from the start, and they pulled it off. Very very impressive. 

Edited by quaniesan.8497

6 minutes ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

those are small things compared to wowcraft and i lost ark. wowcraft 7 hour que. i lost ark character deleted so 9 hour maintanence. gw2 ssmall bugs but can still play game. lol u can see difference gw2 i best ever

Server queues are a sign that the game is popular. Server crashes are a sign that the game was not ready to be released. I pick the former.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Dialogue cutting off, multiple map crashes, progression rollbacks and bugged hero points. Yes, greatest MMO xpack launch in history 🤣

I had dialogue cutting off as well, but that was because of arcdps, I removed it and it solved everything. Other than that, had 0 issues so far.

I was kinda bummed to see how few players I saw in Eye of the North, where you start your EoD story.  I remember more bustle in that zone after every Icebrood Episode release.   

I do not think there is any hype about this release, not that people were saying that there was.  Queues for GW2, that's a funny joke indeed. 🙂 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

I was kinda bummed to see how few players I saw in Eye of the North, where you start your EoD story.  I remember more bustle in that zone after every Icebrood Episode release.   

I do not think there is any hype about this release, not that people were saying that there was.  Queues for GW2, that's a funny joke indeed. 🙂 

Yep..imagine people expecting queues for GW2. This game hardly even advertise or promote itself  to attract new players. 

Well queues were never going to be an issue in this game because it doesn't use them. If there's too many people trying to get into the same map the servers will open another copy of it, and they keep doing that until everyone can get in. That's why you often need to use the LFG tool to find groups for open-world activities and need to use the 'join in [map name]' function when forming parties - it's very likely the people you want to play with will be in a different copy of the map to you if it's busy and there's a lot of copies.

I don't understand why other games don't do that. I really don't understand why they don't update the same way GW2 does, where the update to the servers is done while everyone is still online and players only need to be offline for the time it takes to download. It's convenient for normal updates but yesterday it was also fun to hang around the Eye of the North with people looking forward to the release and have a bit of a celebration before we all logged off to get the update and then started on the expansion.

I have to admit I was plesantly surprised there weren't more problems. I didn't get far through the story or maps myself (in spite of playing for about 3 hours) but the problems I heard about were fairly minor, like individual hero challenges and events stalling.

6 hours ago, Pezz.4758 said:

I don't think how many people chose not to play GW2 and instead to watch someone else talking about it is a meaningful measurement of how popular it is.

I will be interested to see when the API comes back online how many people have the new achievements. Of course sites like GW2 Efficency only show a tiny proportion of the overall playerbase but it gives some idea at least.

Edited by Danikat.8537

2 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Server queues are a sign that the game is popular. Server crashes are a sign that the game was not ready to be released. I pick the former.

Well, not really, actually. 

If you have, let's say :

Pool A : 500capacity, 1000client, so 500 queue

Pool B : 2000capacity, 1500client, no queue

According to your reasoning, Pool A is more popular, in fact, it's not. 

Actually, if I were an evil marketing man, I would probably make sure there is some queue by underestimating charge so people think "Hey! There is queue, this game is popular !"

So queue is either lack of preparation or marketing manipulation

On the other end, when a server is busy, error will happen, that's a fact. The idea here is to minimize the impact of it. 

So crash happening isn't surprising, it's a problem only if there is a lot of them, that doesn't seem to be the case, it seems to be marginal.

Also, crash happened on other games too, for the same reason, except that for gw2, you can log back right away, in other game, enjoy your 2+ hour queue 😄

By the way, back at the launch, in 2012, when the game was super hyped too (like every MMO launch, btw), there were no queue too. 

So no, Anet infrastructures are just good. 

• Like 1

I was during the last releases rather lucky. I got this time some glitches which caused me to start the story instance again and of course the normal disconnects. I cannot remember similar issues with pof or hot release. So, I had this time maybe just bad luck.

21 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Actually, if I were an evil marketing man, I would probably make sure there is some queue by underestimating charge so people think "Hey! There is queue, this game is popular !"

Some real-life clubs will do that. They make people queue outside even when there's enough room for them to get in because they know it will make it look more popular.

One place in London used to have live bands earlier in the evening, then when they finished it changed to a club night. Every time I was there it cleared out very quickly when that happened because they'd book punk or rock bands and then start playing cheesy dance music which almost no one who came for the gig would want to listen to. The staff would be trying to persuade people (especially women) to stay so it didn't look empty, meanwhile they'd be making people who actually wanted to come in queue up outside so it looked busy and more people would want to get in.

I never stuck around long enough to see if it worked, but I'm told it's a common tactic. It wouldn't surprise me if some MMOs had at least considered doing the same. (Although I don't think that's what happend with Final Fantasy, I heard they were having a very hard time upgrading their server capacity because of the microchip shortage.)

smooth? I disconnect alot while losing tons of progress. I cant participate at metas because I will just dc shortly before the finale. Several hero points are bugged which prevent me from map completion. How is this great?

Right now I have to replay almost all of the New Kaineng story because it bugged out.

Edited by Tessi.2398
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Well, not really, actually. 

If you have, let's say :

Pool A : 500capacity, 1000client, so 500 queue

Pool B : 2000capacity, 1500client, no queue

According to your reasoning, Pool A is more popular, in fact, it's not. 

So queue is either lack of preparation or marketing manipulation

On the other end, when a server is busy, error will happen, that's a fact. The idea here is to minimize the impact of it. 

So crash happening isn't surprising, it's a problem only if there is a lot of them, that doesn't seem to be the case, it seems to be marginal.

Also, crash happened on other games too, for the same reason, except that for gw2, you can log back right away, in other game, enjoy your 2+ hour queue 😄

By the way, back at the launch, in 2012, when the game was super hyped too (like every MMO launch, btw), there were no queue too. 

So no, Anet infrastructures are just good. 

Yes, that explains why lost ark on twitch had peak viewers of 1.2m while EoD had peak of 53k.