Do You Think There Will Ever Be New Weapons?

I'm not saying this as a 'I think their should' or 'I'm bored of what we have' or bashing ANet or anything. I'm fully aware that making new weapons means new skills, new balancing, new animations, etc.

But I'm wondering, since GW2 is going strong and seems to have no plans of stopping; do you think there will ever be new base weapons? For example: A great axe (2 handed axe).

And, as part of that question; a fun thought exercise: What weapons would you, personally, want to see? For me, it's a following list:

1. Halberds/Other polearms. This includes spears that aren't used in the water.
  2. A 2-handed axe. We have hammers and greatswords, after all.
  3. Throwing weapons: Axes, knives, javelins, etc. A ranged skillset based on throwing weapons is my dream.
  4. Pugilist weapons. This would have fit in with End Of Dragons' setting, I feel. Nothing super-flippy wire-fu. More...Street brawler. A Charr giving a haymaker would look painful.

And, admittedly; I'm dying for Elementalist to get GUNS. An Elementalist class that infuses their guns with elemental energy instead of bullets would be cool.

What's everyone else's ideas?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

All I want is Fist weapons. Daredevil gave me a taste of hand to hand combat and I want the full meal. Besides, it means we'd get to punch out eldritch abominations, gods, liches, ghosts, people, WHO DOESN'T WANT THIS!?

I do agree! I'd kill to be a charr just punching out everything.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2022 at 5:14 PM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Slight correction. Utopia was the planned 4th campaign for after Nightfall. It got canned got Eye of the North.

7 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

I'm not saying this as a 'I think their should' or 'I'm bored of what we have' or bashing ANet or anything. I'm fully aware that making new weapons means new skills, new balancing, new animations, etc.

But I'm wondering, since GW2 is going strong and seems to have no plans of stopping; do you think there will ever be new base weapons? For example: A great axe (2 handed axe).

And, as part of that question; a fun thought exercise: What weapons would you, personally, want to see? For me, it's a following list:

1. Halberds/Other polearms. This includes spears that aren't used in the water.
  2. A 2-handed axe. We have hammers and greatswords, after all.
  3. Throwing weapons: Axes, knives, javelins, etc. A ranged skillset based on throwing weapons is my dream.
  4. Pugilist weapons. This would have fit in with End Of Dragons' setting, I feel. Nothing super-flippy wire-fu. More...Street brawler. A Charr giving a haymaker would look painful.

And, admittedly; I'm dying for Elementalist to get GUNS. An Elementalist class that infuses their guns with elemental energy instead of bullets would be cool.

What's everyone else's ideas?

I think 1 and 3(throwing spears) could easily be addressed by having an elite spec be able to wield spears on land. We already have thrown axes and daggers (especially ranger axe and mesmer dagger) so I don't think we will see those as separate weapons specifically but certainly may see additional skills added where they get thrown. 

A 2-handed axe would be a great addition and presumably quite easy to do because they could borrow animations and stances from greatswords and hammers. After land spears I think this would be the second easiest and cost-effective to add (because we already have loads of in game spears so it's less work to create the assets for that one). I also think this would fit the fantasy setting well. I'd love to see it.

Although a pugilist weapon would be nice I don't think this will come because physical skills already involve punches and kicks. 

I would like to see some new weapons though. If the story is going to take us to new lands in the future I think it would be a great way to add a new weapon (as in, something that region has that Tyrians didn't know about) and therefore have less skins to begin with and only be available to certain elite specs. That way it again helps lower the burden of adding them. 

I think new weapons are a future must. There is a need for more new content and reinventing the wheel becomes harder with time, so pulling something basic yet so game changing like new weapons would be really good.

Specially if you already have multiple spear and trident skins done, just saying...

Edited by Telgum.6071
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

Wait, they already announced the 4th expansion? 😲

"One last update before we go: we’re happy to confirm that there will be a fourth expansion for Guild Wars 2! We mean it when we say we’re focused on the long-term. This is a very early confirmation (the earliest we’ve ever done this, in fact), so don’t expect news anytime soon. Expansions take a very long time to develop. Plus, there’s plenty of cool things to look forward to between now and then."

Source: ArenaNet Studio Update: The Future of Guild Wars 2 | GuildWars2.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I strongly favor the addition of new weapons and I think that this is one of the biggest balldrops of the last 10 years in terms of content development. It blows my mind to this day that they didn't put in a modicum of effort to add land spears with POF. 

First of all, any options you have related to this grow stale with time and new inputs are needed to mix things up. This is made even more true by the fact that you can't mix-and-match weapon skills freely. 

Secondly, some very obvious and iconic fantasy weapon types like like greataxes, spears, and claws/gloves just feel like they're missing (or my personal favorite idea - orbs/floating devices for magic users :)).

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the system of providing a new weapon type among one of the existing types is clearly pigeonholing and narrowing the design space for elite specs. Adding new ones would have an unshackling effect and would add massive flexibility for the design of  future elite specs and allow the concept to be theoretically infinitely expandable. 

It's not like they need to launch with dozens upon dozens of skins and retroactive standardization with the original weapons, which is for some reason what everyone assumes or imagines when the topic comes up. Clearly, they can both reduce the workload and arguably make it more interesting by being more creative, such as by releasing them through masteries and only having them at level 80 & having fewer skins that are only procured in more specialized ways than the core weapons. Or they could go even simpler and only introduce them through elite specs, which is exactly what they should have done but didn't do several times now. Imagine if catalyst had been given orbs for long term spell slinging, or if gunblades were a real weapon type instead of just a kit. 

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I wouldn't bet the farm on a fourth expansion... Since they have only announced the remake of LWS1 and not LWS6 so far, this could just be talk to ensure that the disappointed folks who dislike EoD don't drop the game.

Too be completely honest LWS1 should have been some sort of 5 or 10 week WoW-style pre-patch before EoD and not some remaster for that long delayed Steam launch.

Back on topic:

Nunchaku or Flails would have been a great addition to EoD for some monk vibe. Also Revenant in dwarf stance with shield and flail could be almost like the original Diablo 3 Crusader. :classic_ninja:

I think the issue with any polearm-type weapon (great axe, spear, halberd, glaive, etc.) is that it would visually resemble too much of a staff with a large thingy on top. No point of adding something that isn't both visually appealing and distinctive enough at the same time. It's basically already an issue with some if the hammer skins as well... Large thingy on a stick.

Personally I'd actually like to see more variety in weapon use throughout the game. It's a bit boring that axes are almost always the best weapon for anyone who can wield them.

Honestly as one of the people who just wants underwater combat to get some love, I have a feeling we will see the trident and spear make it out of the water before we see new weapons. It’s been a very long time since they teased that the Battle Axe the Warrior concept art holds might eventually materialise, I will admit I’m doubtful.

Edit: btw if they do ever add claws, Charr best get the ability to just use their own claws, same for Tengu and their talons if we by some chance happen to get a new race.

Edited by Soaring Spirit.9170
See Edit:
  • Like 2