Do You Think There Will Ever Be New Weapons?

I see a lot of people wanting new weapons from a purely cosmetic standpoint. From the gameplay side, what unfulfilled niche do you imagine them taking, though?

ArenaNet seems to like leaning into particular play styles for a given weapon even when used across different professions. (There are exceptions, like Mesmer's ranged greatsword and Thief and Revenant melee staff)

So what kind of playstyle would you imagine for, say, the fist weapons recommended above? Would it already overlap with another weapon's niche (high mobility condi of axes, or mobility power of swords) or is there something it could do that hasn't been covereed by other weapons?

• Like 1

I gave up on that dream years ago, creating  new weapons means having to create new animations for all races, and then new animations for all classes, this takes time, by simply recycling the current weapons, they don't have to create massive amount of new animations, just take existing animations and add new shinnies to them..

Edited by Nemesis.2019
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nemesis.2019 said:

I gave up on that dream years ago, creating  new weapons means having to create new animations for all races, and then new animations for all classes, this takes time, by simply recycling the current weapons, they don't have to create massive amount of new animations, just take existing animations and add new shinnies to them..

Now I'm imagining spears added to land but all the skills have the characters floating in the air on their bellies.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Haha 3

In a world where a greatsword can shoot lasers, is there a need for additional weapon types? Elementalist could be given an axe elite spec, but that could be melee, medium range, or long range, for example. How would making that a claw or greataxe improve gameplay?

What about legendaries? If Expansion 4 gave everyone a new weapon type, because imagine the outcry if  only some professions got them, then the only possibility of a legendary version would be through expansion 4? Don't like that one? Tough, only option. Maybe you'll like expansion 5's claw legendary?

And just skins in general, would the playerbase be satisfied with the 3 skins offered in the expansion? I suppose the gem store would start cranking out more options, though. Slide that card boys, get your gems!

Then going forward, all weapon sets/skins then need to include versions for the new weapon types. More work for Anet, when they haven't even been including the underwater weapons for a while now.

I don't see it happening.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

In a world where a greatsword can shoot lasers, is there a need for additional weapon types? Elementalist could be given an axe elite spec, but that could be melee, medium range, or long range, for example. How would making that a claw or greataxe improve gameplay?

It's about having more to play with. Lots of people are drawn to mmorpgs to play with things. Right now we either like the EoD elites or we don't get new stuff for our characters. It's an all or nothing system and it blows. Just give me new class skills and stop with the whole elite spec system of constantly adding new classes that never get more skills. Adding new weapons will add new skills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They might in the so called next expansion or if anything; release all weapons on current elite specs so they don’t need to be tied to them anymore, or perhaps expand on current elite specs? Example; give Mirage an off hand axe, Virtuoso an off hand dagger, or for core, a main hand pistol. Something along those lines. 🤷‍♂️

It's far more likely that they do something creative with existing weapons on future elite specializations. Following your example, imagine a warrior specialization that had F1 and F2 adrenaline skills which turned either mainhand or offhand equipped weapon into a 2-handed equivalent with new stats and skills and inheriting sigils/infusions from the whole set (like double-hand holding a weapon in Dark Souls). Or imagine an elementalist specialization that simply ditched away using weapons at all in favor of each element being its own weapon (inheriting sigils, infusions and stats from the set you have), the versatility now coming from multiple attunements into the same element triggering a new "elemental weapon" in a cyclic fashion - F5 is now a ranged/melee attunements swap. Or they go down the route they have already gone so often which is subvert the expectations you would have for a weapon - like having thieves heal with a scepter or revenants throw hammers like a boomerang.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:32 PM, Nemesis.2019 said:

Creating new animations and skills is a normal part of MMO development, there aren't that many playable races in the game, and several of them share animations.

The simple reality is we should have gotten several new weapon types by now, and we don't need to excuse the fact that it's past due and needs to be done. 

Edited by Einlanzer.1627

I believe new weapons are on the horizon.

Few ways to do this:

a) add the new weapons to the core of the classes. It would require anet to change their current way of thinking from a specialization being required to use a new weapon. 

b) add a new weapon per specialization

c) status quo new specialization & weapon. 

I personally would like to see all the weapons available for a class. Meaning no matter what spec I play all the weapons from the other specs I would have the ability to use.  Example using a Great sword on a Harbinger.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Excursion.9752 said:

I believe new weapons are on the horizon.

Few ways to do this:

a) add the new weapons to the core of the classes. It would require anet to change their current way of thinking from a specialization being required to use a new weapon. 

b) add a new weapon per specialization

c) status quo new specialization & weapon. 

I personally would like to see all the weapons available for a class. Meaning no matter what spec I play all the weapons from the other specs I would have the ability to use.  Example using a Great sword on a Harbinger.

Another option would be to use masteries, similar to how it was done for mounts. To me this is preferable because they could reduce some of the workload (no need to provide them for 1-80 loot tables or produce dozens of skins), and they could still be used for elite specs later, but wouldn't be innately tied to elite specs. I think it's time for core classes to get a bit of expansion, and I also think this would be an innovative way to expand central tyria masteries.

For example:

Marine Weaponry - Gain access to marine weapons while on land

Exotic Weaponry
Gain access to a new weapon type based on your class type -
Soldier - Greataxe
Adventurer - Boomerang/Chakram

Scholar - Crystal/Orb/Floating Device

etc.

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 5:28 PM, Redfeather.6401 said:

It's about having more to play with. Lots of people are drawn to mmorpgs to play with things. Right now we either like the EoD elites or we don't get new stuff for our characters. It's an all or nothing system and it blows. Just give me new class skills and stop with the whole elite spec system of constantly adding new classes that never get more skills. Adding new weapons will add new skills.

You'd think this would be perfectly intuitive. Instead we get eye-rolling Einstein-caliber responses like "what niche would this fill" or just "no." 

I mean - is there a need for anything else in the game? No. So why don't we just stop all development and enjoy what we have already!?  Sounds awesome!

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 6:48 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

So this is about adding to the core classes? So new weapons and corresponding traits. How is that different than adding a new elite weapon? You will either like the addition/changes to core or you will not.

For me personally I can really like an elite spec but over the years want to play it differently. If core thief got a spear weapon then I could go back to playing daredevil, which I loved, and it won't feel stale after all these years. A new core weapon gives longevity to every single classes elite specs! The weapon doesn't have to be really complex and specialized, it just has to be different.

Guild Wars 1 had an anniversary event that added 1 new skill per class. The most popular skills out of those additions were the ones that were flexible enough to create many new builds! And it saw a player population growth. Youtube videos were made showing off the resurgence. Those of us who heard about it came back even though it was just one new skill! Isn't that something.

• Like 1

I doubt they will add a new weapon archetype, and you already stated the reasons why, OP.

I think what they should do instead is let us customize weapon skills on each weapon a little bit. Like, auto attack 1 can be what it currently is for warrior (basic hits with a little bit of vulnerability on the enemy), or swap the skill out to one that can do a bleed, or perhaps one of the other skills can be swapped for one that has some form of CC? Then you can mix and match skills to add more variety to the weapons we already have.

4 hours ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

I doubt they will add a new weapon archetype, and you already stated the reasons why, OP.

I think what they should do instead is let us customize weapon skills on each weapon a little bit. Like, auto attack 1 can be what it currently is for warrior (basic hits with a little bit of vulnerability on the enemy), or swap the skill out to one that can do a bleed, or perhaps one of the other skills can be swapped for one that has some form of CC? Then you can mix and match skills to add more variety to the weapons we already have.

New Weapons add the most value. Why? Because the game is built around fashion and the company makes money from selling skins.  With new weapons, come new opportunity to sell new skins

6 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

New Weapons add the most value. Why? Because the game is built around fashion and the company makes money from selling skins.  With new weapons, come new opportunity to sell new skins

And cries to update each black lion set previously released.

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

And cries to update each black lion set previously released.

If Anet has a problem with that,, it would be Few time I seen somebody QQ for getting money 💰 🤑

Because it's gives people more reasons to buy those black lion chest. 

But hey, be afraid of 💰.....